Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2023, 16:30   #6496
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

I am travelling abroad, which would be a better option?

1. Using Axis Magnus CC - markup fee = 2%+GST = 2.4% OR

2. Getting a Forex card.
Old 12th May 2023, 11:57   #6497
BHPian

I applied for Tata neu HDFC infinity credit card and the digital card is issued. I can use the card for making online transactions, but unable to add it to UPI in paytm/phonepe since the 4 digit pin is not yet set.

I logged into HDFC netbanking, but it is showing only my infinia card there. The contact number to generate pin from IVR is not connecting. Do I need to wait for the physical card to arrive and then goto ATM or can I try something else?
Old 12th May 2023, 12:20   #6498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I applied for Tata neu HDFC infinity credit card and the digital card is issued. I can use the card for making online transactions, but unable to add it to UPI in paytm/phonepe since the 4 digit pin is not yet set.

I logged into HDFC netbanking, but it is showing only my infinia card there. The contact number to generate pin from IVR is not connecting. Do I need to wait for the physical card to arrive and then goto ATM or can I try something else?
Go to your Tata Neu app and look for credit and if the card is activated, click on details. It will take you to the card dashboard.

Now, if you click on reset card pin, you'll be provided with a couple of numbers to call from the registered phone number to set a pin. This step probably can be done after the physical delivery of the card as per the message on the app.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by 7000plusrpm : 12th May 2023 at 12:30.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:40   #6499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Go to your Tata Neu app and look for credit and if the card is activated, click on details. It will take you to the card dashboard.

Now, if you click on reset card pin, you'll be provided with a couple of numbers to call from the registered phone number to set a pin. This step probably can be done after the physical delivery of the card as per the message on the app.

Hope it helps.
Just called the number provided and they confirmed that the pin can be set only after delivery of physical card.
Old 12th May 2023, 13:36   #6500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post

2. Getting a Forex card.
IDFC secured credit card offers 0% markup on forex. https://www.idfcfirstbank.com/credit...red-card-offer

RBL World safari card also offers 0% markup on forex.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:35   #6501
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi All,
I wanted to check if anyone has used the Axis Reserve credit card and how was the service for all the addons they provide.
It says that forex tx have a markup of 1.5% but it gives a higher rate of reward points for forex transactions. Is it really worth the 59K joining fees?
HDFC Infinia would be good but I do not bank with HDFC and that card is only on invite.
Thanks for your help.
chandu
Old 13th May 2023, 03:59   #6502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
Hi All,
I wanted to check if anyone has used the Axis Reserve credit card and how was the service for all the addons they provide.
It says that forex tx have a markup of 1.5% but it gives a higher rate of reward points for forex transactions. Is it really worth the 59K joining fees?
HDFC Infinia would be good but I do not bank with HDFC and that card is only on invite.
Thanks for your help.
chandu
Having used the Infinia and Magnus, I feel there is no value in Axis Reserve compared to the Magnus.

Reserve costs 59k where as Magnus costs 13k.
The main benefits which I felt were exclusive were the chauffeur service to the airport and Priority Pass for add-on holders.
Magnus reward point rate is 12pts/200 Rs where as Reserve has 15pts/200 Rs
The ROI rate makes no sense if you spend even 15l per year on the Reserve card.
The only advantage might be the 50,000 Signup points which you get but still does not make sense to spend 60k on a card per year.
Maybe it could make sense if you are a huge spender and spend a lot on hotels.
I still feel Magnus offers incredible value if you don't golf and don't travel more than 2 times internationally.

My current go to:
Magnus for 1l/Month
Infinia for add-on Priority Pass and Domestic flights/Hotels for transactions below 30k
dheer4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 10:27   #6503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
Having used the Infinia and Magnus, I feel there is no value in Axis Reserve compared to the Magnus.

The only advantage might be the 50,000 Signup points which you get but still does not make sense to spend 60k on a card per year.
Reserve is not a miles earning card, in my opinion. It is more a luxury lifestyle all rounder card and useful for concierge type benefits for busy business folks but if you have any top end Amex cards, it will be sufficient.

The only better miles earning in Reserve is forex transactions at 2x. So if there is someone who has heavy forex transactions, it benefits them. It is not necessarily travel but even purchased services billed in forex.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 14:28   #6504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post

Reserve costs 59k where as Magnus costs 13k.
The main benefits which I felt were exclusive were the chauffeur service to the airport and Priority Pass for add-on holders.
Magnus reward point rate is 12pts/200 Rs where as Reserve has 15pts/200 Rs
The ROI rate makes no sense if you spend even 15l per year on the Reserve card.
Maybe it could make sense if you are a huge spender and spend a lot on hotels.
I still feel Magnus offers incredible value if you don't golf and don't travel more than 2 times internationally.

My current go to:
Magnus for 1l/Month
Infinia for add-on Priority Pass and Domestic flights/Hotels for transactions below 30k
I agree with this except for a couple of scenarios.

For a normal spender - Yes, Magnus + Infinia is good enough for upto 20 Lacs spends.

But Infinia is losing value rapidly. I would rather continue using Magnus over Infinia even above 1 Lac, if I don't have the Reserve. (I actually do have the Reserve alongwith Infinia & Magnus). People should switch to Infinia only if they aren't comfortable with the Airmiles game.

Reserve got me a lot of reward points in just in one trip to USA of 14 days. My hotel stay itself was 1.3 lacs for those 14 Days. 30 ER points per Rs. 200 on it as against 12 ER on Magnus. Significant difference. Food, Travel and other spends was another Lac. This earned me points enough for couple of economy flight tickets worth $600 (Value of Tickets booked actually using equivalent points on that same trip).

Add to it, currently, Mumbai International Terminal has only the Loyalty Lounge for access through Credit Cards which is a pathetic lounge. Reserve got me access to Adani Lounge alongwith a Guest which Magnus or Infinia couldnt. This was courtesy the Meet & Greet Service. I know Magnus too has it but the Meet & Greet Package of Magnus and Reserve are different. The one with the Reserve comes with Lounge Access, while the one with Magnus doesnt.

The Accor Plus Membership comes with Two Stay Plus vouchers. These itself can get you a value of Rs. 15-20K easily. So I wouldnt say that Reserve doesnt provide value if someone is already holding a Magnus + Infinia combination. I am actually questioning the need to hold Infinia now. Just that, its not easy to get HDFC Super-Premium Cards as compared to Axis and that is why I am holding on to that card.

Flying out again next Sunday to another International destination with family. Will be able to confirm this as I have once again booked Meet & Greet thru Reserve.

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks for your help.
chandu
If you have forex transactions of more than 3-4 Lacs annually, go for Reserve. The increased reward rate is extremely good.

Last edited by tejas08 : 13th May 2023 at 14:41. Reason: Additional Quote Added
tejas08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 18:33   #6505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I agree with this except for a couple of scenarios.

For a normal spender - Yes, Magnus + Infinia is good enough for upto 20 Lacs spends.

But Infinia is losing value rapidly. I would rather continue using Magnus over Infinia even above 1 Lac, if I don't have the Reserve. (I actually do have the Reserve alongwith Infinia & Magnus). People should switch to Infinia only if they aren't comfortable with the Airmiles game.

Reserve got me a lot of reward points in just in one trip to USA of 14 days. My hotel stay itself was 1.3 lacs for those 14 Days. 30 ER points per Rs. 200 on it as against 12 ER on Magnus. Significant difference. Food, Travel and other spends was another Lac. This earned me points enough for couple of economy flight tickets worth $600 (Value of Tickets booked actually using equivalent points on that same trip).

Add to it, currently, Mumbai International Terminal has only the Loyalty Lounge for access through Credit Cards which is a pathetic lounge. Reserve got me access to Adani Lounge alongwith a Guest which Magnus or Infinia couldnt. This was courtesy the Meet & Greet Service. I know Magnus too has it but the Meet & Greet Package of Magnus and Reserve are different. The one with the Reserve comes with Lounge Access, while the one with Magnus doesnt.

The Accor Plus Membership comes with Two Stay Plus vouchers. These itself can get you a value of Rs. 15-20K easily. So I wouldnt say that Reserve doesnt provide value if someone is already holding a Magnus + Infinia combination. I am actually questioning the need to hold Infinia now. Just that, its not easy to get HDFC Super-Premium Cards as compared to Axis and that is why I am holding on to that card.
Flying out again next Sunday to another International destination with family. Will be able to confirm this as I have once again booked Meet & Greet thru Reserve.
If you have forex transactions of more than 3-4 Lacs annually, go for Reserve. The increased reward rate is extremely good.
Thanks, this is great information. I have not been traveling international for the past few years but this will change this year since my son is going to college in the US and we will likely visit him a couple of times a years. If i can avoid trying to reload a forex card during a visit that would be great.
The meet and greet feature of Reserve would be excellent for family foreign travel but i was not sure from the description if it could be used for family or only for the card holder. Would be very helpful if you could update us after your next trip.
I end up paying for everything with my citi cc right now and usually bill over 2L per month. So maybe Reserve would be useful after all.
Old 13th May 2023, 19:00   #6506
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have been a very passive user of credit cards with fairly low usage. I have the HDFC regalia, icici rubyx, Citibank Indian Oil credit card and Amazon ICICI card.

Off late, have been intrigued by the Axis magnus and HDFC DCB. Very interested in magnus due to its airmiles conversion and the objective is travel domestically with wife and son. As per my belief, 25k miles should be good enough for a return trip from blr-mum for all 3 of us.

This can be achieved by the 1lakh spend per calendar month. However, my current credit card expenses are around 20-30k, with occasional larger spends on car service, medical policy renewal, vacation travel within India, etc. of about 30-40k every alternate month.

Can others who are using axis magnus highlight ways in which they are able to attain the monthly limit of 1lkah. I know the Amazon balance route, but i believe wallet recharge don't get counted in the milestone calculations.

In terms of the eligibility, i meet the criteria for magnus and DCB comfortably. Any comments on my dilemma above, please feel to pen down. Thanks in advance.

Or would you rather recommend that i skip the temptation of the magnus as it's not meant for spenders like me.
mail.jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 21:28   #6507
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this is great information. I have not been traveling international for the past few years but this will change this year since my son is going to college in the US and we will likely visit him a couple of times a years. If i can avoid trying to reload a forex card during a visit that would be great.
The meet and greet feature of Reserve would be excellent for family foreign travel but i was not sure from the description if it could be used for family or only for the card holder. Would be very helpful if you could update us after your next trip.
I end up paying for everything with my citi cc right now and usually bill over 2L per month. So maybe Reserve would be useful after all.
Meet & Greet allows Guests too. So yes, family can be included but its maximum 8 instances per year. You + Two Guests would count as 3 Instances.

As of Citi CC, dump it. Take the Axis Magnus via the Card on Card Route.

Points redemption on Magnus / Reserve are not going to be a cakewalk if you want to get into the Airmiles game, but given your requirement of International Travel going forward, it would be very helpful. Another such person had his son going to US for Undergrad. Got him to book to & fro Business Class Tickets (3 Return Tickets & 1 One-Way Ticket) using Axis ER points. He was into Axis Magnus / Reserve since a while though.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 17:47   #6508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post

2. Getting a Forex card.
Why go for credit card? I would suggest to use a Niyo Global card which has 0% markup charges for foreign spending.
Old 15th May 2023, 16:34   #6509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Meet & Greet allows Guests too. So yes, family can be included but its maximum 8 instances per year. You + Two Guests would count as 3 Instances.

As of Citi CC, dump it. Take the Axis Magnus via the Card on Card Route.

Points redemption on Magnus / Reserve are not going to be a cakewalk if you want to get into the Airmiles game, but given your requirement of International Travel going forward, it would be very helpful. Another such person had his son going to US for Undergrad. Got him to book to & fro Business Class Tickets (3 Return Tickets & 1 One-Way Ticket) using Axis ER points. He was into Axis Magnus / Reserve since a while though.
Thanks, that is very helpful advice. The axis cc guy will call me later today, i will go for either magnus or reserve.
I have to really look into this rewards aspect as I have not really looked into it till now. looks like i have been throwing away a lot of money in this.
Old 15th May 2023, 17:13   #6510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been a very passive user of credit cards with fairly low usage. I have the HDFC regalia, icici rubyx, Citibank Indian Oil credit card and Amazon ICICI card.

Off late, have been intrigued by the Axis magnus and HDFC DCB. Very interested in magnus due to its airmiles conversion and the objective is travel domestically with wife and son. As per my belief, 25k miles should be good enough for a return trip from blr-mum for all 3 of us.

This can be achieved by the 1lakh spend per calendar month. However, my current credit card expenses are around 20-30k, with occasional larger spends on car service, medical policy renewal, vacation travel within India, etc. of about 30-40k every alternate month.

Can others who are using axis magnus highlight ways in which they are able to attain the monthly limit of 1lkah. I know the Amazon balance route, but i believe wallet recharge don't get counted in the milestone calculations.

In terms of the eligibility, i meet the criteria for magnus and DCB comfortably. Any comments on my dilemma above, please feel to pen down. Thanks in advance.

Or would you rather recommend that i skip the temptation of the magnus as it's not meant for spenders like me.
I think magnus is good if the spending is more than 1L/month. if that can be achieved 3 or 4 times a year, its a good card and its redemption is beneficial on airlines only.
grshnehete is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks