Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 11:02   #6436
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
Try recharging your Fastag through Simpl. You can repay the Simpl bill through your credit card.
I have installed simpl app and did a fastag recharge, but there is no option to pay back with a credit card. The only available option is UPI.
Old 20th April 2023, 11:16   #6437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sometime back, I had posted about the charges on fuel purchase by Credit card companies, and had also got some responses for my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The surcharge on the Visa Regalia was 1.20% of which 1% was refunded while it is 3.5% on the Diners with the same 1% refund.
So credit cards retain a portion of the fuel surcharge and the fuel purchase doesn't count towards reward points, am I right? Should I use my debit cards (SBI Signature/HDFC Preferred) instead or opt for UPI? Each tankful is 4-5k worth and I get about 2 of them every month on an average.

I have a HDFC Times Platinum and an ICICI Amazon credit card which I use interchangeably. I noticed recently about this fuel surcharge not being reversed fully.

Last edited by ashis89 : 20th April 2023 at 11:19.
Old 20th April 2023, 11:24   #6438
BHPian

Hi,

While using my SBI credit card to buy Flipkart gift cards, SBI flagged the transaction as a potential fraudulent one and blocked the card. I also got a mail and message saying I need to call the help line number to unblock the card. I called the numbers, but not getting an option in IVR to unblock the card. SBI also has blocked me out of the SBI cards web and mobile app as well with the same contact help line number in a pop up message. Has anyone faced such an issue before ?
Old 20th April 2023, 11:37   #6439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
So credit cards retain a portion of the fuel surcharge and the fuel purchase doesn't count towards reward points, am I right? Should I use my debit cards (SBI Signature/HDFC Preferred) instead or opt for UPI? .
You can try what I had done:
Though the typical fill is about 3.5k, I paid with two swipes - 1k & balance. The charge for the 1k swipe helped me get clear about the charges.

Card companies have a fuel surcharge when the transaction is thru another provider - which would be why the charge on the HDFC c/c is higher.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 11:37   #6440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I have installed simpl app and did a fastag recharge, but there is no option to pay back with a credit card. The only available option is UPI.
You can use the Card Payment option to pay through a credit card.
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_20230420_113341.jpg  

Old 20th April 2023, 11:46   #6441
BHPian

Quote:
Should I use my debit cards (SBI Signature/HDFC Preferred) instead or opt for UPI?
Using your debit cards will also incur fuel surcharge. The surcharge reversal depends on the card.

What most people fail to notice is that apart from the surcharge not being refunded completely for some cards, there's an IGST charged on the surcharge that is not refunded at all.

When you consider that you don't get reward points on fuel spends, using credit cards for fuel doesn't make sense unless one is short on funds.

The best way to pay for fuel right now is to use the HP PAY and IndianOil ONE apps to pay using UPI and also get reward points.
SgtRepeat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:00   #6442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Using your debit cards will also incur fuel surcharge. The surcharge reversal depends on the card.
On the debit card page, I see a note that surcharge is not applicable for HDFC machines but doesn't mention the charges for other machines!

Fuel Surcharge Reversal:
Effective 1st January 2018, Fuel Surcharge would not be applicable for the transactions done on HDFC Bank swipe machines.

Quote:
What most people fail to notice is that apart from the surcharge not being refunded completely for some cards, there's an IGST charged on the surcharge that is not refunded at all.

When you consider that you don't get reward points on fuel spends, using credit cards for fuel doesn't make sense unless one is short on funds.

The best way to pay for fuel right now is to use the HP PAY and IndianOil ONE apps to pay using UPI and also get reward points.
I have used UPI at a few IOCL bunks but I notice that points got credited for one bunk but not for the others. Does this loyalty program work at COCO bunks only?

Are there any other hidden charges with UPI? If not then I can move to UPI only instead of using CC.

Also are there any similar apps for BPCL?
Old 20th April 2023, 12:12   #6443
BHPian

Quote:
On the debit card page, I see a note that surcharge is not applicable for HDFC machines but doesn't mention the charges for other machines!

I have used UPI at a few IOCL bunks but I notice that points got credited for one bunk but not for the others. Does this loyalty program work at COCO bunks only?

Are there any other hidden charges with UPI? If not then I can move to UPI only instead of using CC.

Also are there any similar apps for BPCL?
The surcharge being reversed only when the transaction is made on machines belonging to the same bank is a headache as nobody has the time to check which bank's machine is being used in each petrol bunk one goes to. Even if the surcharge is reversed, you'll still get charged an IGST on the surcharge. This inconvenience is what made me shift to UPI for fuel payments.

Coming to the rewards points for IOCL fuel stations, for the points to be credited, you'll have to provide your phone number to the fuel attendant before making the UPI payment. I'm not sure if some IOCL bunks are not tied up with the Xtra rewards loyalty program, but it's usually a good idea to fill up through COCO outlets only.

There are no hidden charges with UPI that I've noticed till now.

There's a Hello BPCL app, but I haven't used it.
SgtRepeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:01   #6444
BHPian

Quote:
You can use the Card Payment option to pay through a credit card.
That's strange as I don't see this option. Don't know if this is user specific or something need to be done to enable this option

The Credit Card Thread-screenshot_2023042012561351_f6e35e062df62f48478e6a00e2a3927a.jpg
Old 20th April 2023, 13:13   #6445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Hi,

While using my SBI credit card to buy Flipkart gift cards, SBI flagged the transaction as a potential fraudulent one and blocked the card. I also got a mail and message saying I need to call the help line number to unblock the card. I called the numbers, but not getting an option in IVR to unblock the card. SBI also has blocked me out of the SBI cards web and mobile app as well with the same contact help line number in a pop up message. Has anyone faced such an issue before ?
Hey Mathew, I recently got a new card from SBI, during my 1st ever transaction which was above 50k, it was declined and the card was blocked stating suspicious activity. I forgot the flow, but your only option is through the customer care number and reach out to a rep, who verifies the card details by asking for some personal details and the card will be unblocked immediately. Please note, you can access the app only 24hrs after the unblocking.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:48   #6446
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Now I' able to use Axis Bank IndianOil RuPay Credit Card(since Apr-19) with BHIM/PhonePe/PayTM UPI.
It works fine for normal merchant paymanets(QR Payment).
Wallet load, Send to Savings account are not allowed. Yet to use widely. Also, yet to integrate with Samsung Wallet UPI, which is my go-to UPI app.
Do you get reward points ?
Old 20th April 2023, 14:02   #6447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Do you get reward points ?
As per the ads by RuPay, rewards are available.

Old 21st April 2023, 12:35   #6448
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

So here is the comparison for paying for Diesel at the same IOCL bunk, using ICICI's PoS devices:

Attachment 2441160
I have filled fuel for 2000/- at HPCL outlet. Surcharge was 20 and same has been reversed. NO GST.
Card used HDFC
Attached Thumbnails
The Credit Card Thread-hpcl_fuel_cc_surcharge.jpg  

Old 21st April 2023, 12:49   #6449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
That's strange as I don't see this option. Don't know if this is user specific or something need to be done to enable this option

Attachment 2442103
Update:
I tried to refer FAQ's/help to understand this issue and somehow it led me to a web page for repayment. Once I login to this page, the credit card option was available to repay. Seems like a technical glitch.

Note: There is a limit of Rs.1k per month for fastag recharge via Simpl.
Old 21st April 2023, 13:08   #6450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have filled fuel for 2000/- at HPCL outlet. Surcharge was 20 and same has been reversed. NO GST.
Card used HDFC
Is your card a Diners Card ? And was the PoS machine also of HDFC ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks