Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 11:51   #4456
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Despite tall claims by people, the reward rate on Infinia is just around Rs 1 per Rs100 spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is where Amazon Pay card shines. No annual fee and between 5% and 2% cash back on your purchase. The catch
. You get most cashback as prime member (999 annual fee). You get maximum cashback on amazon purchase.
. Most of the other purchases and bill will get you 1% or 2%

If you make purchases and bills of 20K per month then you are a gainer even after paying prime fees.

If you are looking for a Cashback card, then look at ICICI Amazon Pay.

HDFC Infinia is not a Cashback Card. Period. Heck, its not a Co-Branded Card either. Comparing the cashback rate of Infinia with ICICI Amazon Pay is like comparing Apples and Oranges. Despite having gone 6-8 devaluation, this card still sits at the top of the list in every credit card enthusiast's wallet. All the limitations of 5000 Rs capping on Amazon Voucher, 70% redemption capping are after multiple devaluation. You need to look at 100s of other vouchers available at 10X. Many of your household purchases can be done on 10X or 5X on Amazon.

Between Diners Club Black and Infinia, I know many people who have accumulated more than 2-2.5 Lacs Points in the past two years without paying a single Rupee as fee for the card. Even if these points are converted to Statement credit, it translates to 63K to 80K Rs. Or 1 to 1.25 Lacs Rs worth Amazon Pay vouchers. But most of these people will be utilising these points to do Flight and hotel bookings. I dont see to many Infinia owners cribbing about it. Its only because of the Pandemic that people arent travelling and are thinking about encashing the points before the next round of devaluation. Else people travel regularly and use these points to book Flights & Hotels for vacations.

Somebody who knows about Airmiles redemption can actually book multiple Business Class Tickets on Singapore Airlines or Vistara by converting these reward points to miles.

Considering all the options possible, it is easily possible to gain 60-70K per year from Infinia without paying a Rupee although HDFC has already distributed Infinia to many people as Lifetime Free at the start of 2021.

Infinia Reward Points are valid for three years. I do not understand why people think travel is not possible within this duration. People had alreadg started going out for vacations when the First Wave of Covid got over and its going to be the same in another couple of months time and probably by end of the year, as vaccination gathers pace, travel will only increase.

But since there is a comparison of ICICI Amazon Pay with Infinia, I will put up some numbers on that comparison too:

Even if Infinia Reward Points are converted to Statement credit, Infinia still triumphs over ICICI Amazon Pay's 5% cashback on Amazon till 2 Lac Rs purchase. How? Only a person using Infinia regularly would know. I dont think anybody purchases

Infinia gets 5X on Amazon purchases (Capping of 15,000 Bonus Points). Thats 25 RP per 150 Rs. which is 12.5 Rs per 150 Rs in Amazon Pay Gift Vouchers. ICICI Amazon Pay gives 5%.

Last edited by tejas08 : 13th May 2021 at 12:15.
tejas08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 12:21   #4457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post

HDFC Infinia is not a Cashback Card. Period.
Somebody who knows about Airmiles redemption can actually book multiple Business Class Tickets on Singapore Airlines or Vistara by converting these reward points to miles.
Exactly. I have seen so many posts, not only here but around other cc discussions forums, comparing DinersBlack, Infinia, Citi Prestige and Premiermiles to only reward cards. They simply are not designed for people who's sole purpose is to get rewards. The best use for these cards is to collect the points and convert them for airmiles. Ideally the best value earning for the points.

If you want a Rewards only, I am sure there are plenty cards which give more value based on the types of rewards/cashback. One needs to think beforehand about where they will utilise the points before applying for any cc. Make a more informed decision and don't just apply for the popular ones.

As for me, I have been collecting and using points for airmiles only since past 10years. In just last 4 years this strategy has got me 4 business class tickets for literally nothing along with other travel benefits and rewards. Since my strategy is all about airmiles, none of the amex cards make sense for me as they have terrible airmile conversion rates. HDFC and Citi are best when it comes to collecting miles. Its a shame to see citi selling the business as prestige is such an amazing card.

Last edited by click : 13th May 2021 at 12:50.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 12:30   #4458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Since my strategy is all about airmiles, none of the amex cards make sense for me as well. I don't use other benefits like golf, etc anyways. HDFC and Citi are best when it comes to collecting miles. Its a shame to see citi selling the business as prestige is such an amazing card.

You are saying Amex does not make sense for you in the Airmiles game? I cant believe I am reading this. This can only be true, if you are talking about domestic airlines. To be honest, for the International airlines Airmiles, Amex gives you something which no other card in India offers.

1. 7 International Airlines Airmiles Transfer Options (Citi Prestige and Citi Premiermiles are better than this I agree)
2. Reward Points Conversion to Marriott Bonvoy Points. Marriott Bonvoy Points can be converted to almost any major airline Airmiles in the world.

I am sure once you look at the second option, you will rethink on your decision about not holding Amex.

P.S. - I hold three Amex Cards for this same reason

Last edited by tejas08 : 13th May 2021 at 12:46.
tejas08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 13:07   #4459
BHPian

Quote:

You are saying Amex does not make sense for you in the Airmiles game? I cant believe I am reading this. This can only be true, if you are talking about domestic airlines. To be honest, for the International airlines Airmiles, Amex gives you something which no other card in India offers.

1. 7 International Airlines Airmiles Transfer Options (Citi Prestige and Citi Premiermiles are better than this I agree)
2. Reward Points Conversion to Marriott Bonvoy Points. Marriott Bonvoy Points can be converted to almost any major airline Airmiles in the world.

I am sure once you look at the second option, you will rethink on your decision about not holding Amex.

P.S. - I hold three Amex Cards for this same reason
Let me explain:
I usually fly Singapore Airlines. The conversion rates are as follows:
Amex : 2 points = 1 air mile
HDFC DinersBlack/Infinia: 1 point = 1 air mile
Citibank Prestige: 1 point = 4 air miles

Now comes to Earning the miles, for every INR 100 spent locally, I get:

Amex - 2 points
HDFC DinersBlack/Infinia - 3.33 points
Citibank Prestige - 1 point
(Not taking into account the 10x/5x multipliers for HDFC/amex)

So to earn 4 air miles on Singapore, I have to spend:
Amex: INR 400
HDFC DinersBlack/Infinia: INR 120
Citibank Prestige: INR 100

If one takes into account the 3x/5x/10x multipliers, nothing beats HDFC. For international spends CPrestige gives 8 airmiles for every INR100 spent.

It seems very simple that Amex are way behind. They offer amazing hotel tie ups, but so do Citi and prestige has very good concierge service too. I do hold Amex Platinum Reserve just to use the local amex lounges though. If you think I am overlooking any calculations or haven't taken anything into account, do let me know.

I haven't really explored the airmiles conversion through hotel points route, which may turn the tables. Will need to look into that.
Old 13th May 2021, 13:07   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is where Amazon Pay card shines. No annual fee and between 5% and 2% cash back on your purchase.
Quote:
There is so much of confusion with how ICICI Amazon card treats fuel purchase. What does this 1% surcharge waiver mean?

If we take an example of 1K worth of fuel purchase from a pump, how much extra does one need to shell out for this v/s cash purchase? Does any points accrue for the same?

Please advise!
Old 13th May 2021, 13:56   #4461
BHPian

Quote:
. It seems very simple that Amex are way behind. They offer amazing hotel tie ups, but so do Citi and prestige has very good concierge service too. I do hold Amex Platinum Reserve just to use the local amex lounges though. If you think I am overlooking any calculations or haven't taken anything into account, do let me know.

I haven't really explored the airmiles conversion through hotel points route, which may turn the tables. Will need to look into that.
Amex Platinum Reserve is one the worst Amex cards to have for earning points. If you are looking at earning points in Amex, you should look at Amex Membership Rewards Or Platinum Travel Credit Card or Gold Charge Card

MRCC - 1000 Bonus Points for 4 x 1500 Rs spends and 1000 Bonus Points for total 20,000 Rs spends in a month. Bonus points can be earned every month, I have been doing the 4 x 1500 (was 4 x 1000 earlier) for 3 & half years. So 240,000 Rs spends gets you 28,800 Points as minimum.

Platinum Travel - Best Value at 4 Lacs spends in a year. 48,000 Points as a minimum on 4 Lacs spends.

Gold Charge - 1000 Bonus Points every month for 6 x 1000 Rs transactions.

Now, Amex regularly comes up with Bonus Points offeras well as Amex has the best referral bonuses. Sadly referrals wont work now till Amex comes out of the RBI Ban.

Their reward multiplier are no match to Infinia but why I value the points almost as much as Infinia is this:

Mumbai - Tokyo - Business Class Return Tickets Miles requirement:

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles - 148,000
ANA Mileage Club Miles - 60,000

Mumbai - Sydney Business Class Return Tickets Miles requirement:

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Miles - 168,000
ANA Mileage Club Miles - 72,000

Because of the ease of availability of KrisFlyer Miles, the miles requirement for redemption is higher too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
There is so much of confusion with how ICICI Amazon card treats fuel purchase. What does this 1% surcharge waiver mean?

If we take an example of 1K worth of fuel purchase from a pump, how much extra does one need to shell out for this v/s cash purchase? Does any points accrue for the same?

Please advise!
I am not sure about ICICI Amazon Pay exactly as I dont hold one. But the fuel surcharge is generally 1% + GST on most cards. So 1.18%

So 1000 Rs worth of fuel will be charged Rs. 11.8 as Fuel Surcharge and Rs. 10 will be given as waiver (Shown as credit after charging 11.8 Rs.)

Last edited by tejas08 : 13th May 2021 at 13:59.
tejas08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 15:15   #4462
BHPian

HDFC bank is pestering me to 'upgrade' from Regalia First to Millenia Credit Card. I am confused about whether I should. I already have Amazon ICICI Card which is used for most online purchases on Amazon. The Regalia card is used for almost all other expenses.

Does it make sense to 'upgrade'? Whatever I understand is Millenia is an online shopping-centric Credit card.
Old 13th May 2021, 15:18   #4463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
HDFC bank is pestering me to 'upgrade' from Regalia First to Millenia Credit Card. I am confused about whether I should. I already have Amazon ICICI Card which is used for most online purchases on Amazon. The Regalia card is used for almost all other expenses.

Does it make sense to 'upgrade'? Whatever I understand is Millenia is an online shopping-centric Credit card.
The "proper" upgrade from Regalia First is Regalia or Diners Club Black. They had me on the Regalia First for a long time till they finally offered to move me to Regalia a couple of months ago. The points redemption chart is better and you get some travel benefits (fat good that will do in the current situation!)

You can compare features across these cards on their website. If there is not much value in switching, don't.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 16:54   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Amex Platinum Reserve is one the worst Amex cards to have for earning points. If you are looking at earning points in Amex, you should look at Amex Membership Rewards Or Platinum Travel Credit Card or Gold Charge Card

Their reward multiplier are no match to Infinia but why I value the points almost as much as Infinia is this:

Yes I agree, amex Platinum reserve is a quite a pointless card. I only use it as it was offered for free and gave me Amex lounge access at Bombay airport. In past 2 years I have had it, the card only amounts to 2% or less of my total credit card spend.

Now I have had no idea about ANA Mileage Club but this is good information which I will dig into further. I don't see ANA as a partner in India Amex website, how do you transfer to them... via Bonway or any other program?

If this works for my travel routes for 2022, I might just take your advice and change my Pl Reserve to other amex card. Thanks.
Old 13th May 2021, 17:14   #4465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for the International airlines Airmiles, Amex gives you something which no other card in India offers.

[...]

I hold three Amex Cards for this same reason
How does holding 3 different Amex cards help in any way? Does splitting your spend on three cards result in cumulatively more points than had you spent all of it on one card?
Old 13th May 2021, 17:52   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is there a single place where one can calculate the air miles requirement of different airlines?
Old 13th May 2021, 18:51   #4467
BHPian

Quote:

Infinia gets 5X on Amazon purchases (Capping of 15,000 Bonus Points). Thats 25 RP per 150 Rs. which is 12.5 Rs per 150 Rs in Amazon Pay Gift Vouchers. ICICI Amazon Pay gives 5%.
You have even dared to compare ICICI Amazon Pay CC w/ Infinia which is Bold.

It's like comparing Aluminium to Gold!
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 20:28   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post

Not at all. ICICI Amazon Pay is superior in most aspects. There is no fee of Rs 12,000 per year to pay. It is much easier to get and not limited to elite clients who have to wait for a long time to rise to that level. You get a clear 5% cashback directly credited to your Amazon Pay wallet every month without the hassle of worrying about reward points and buying vouchers.
Old 13th May 2021, 20:33   #4469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Not at all. ICICI Amazon Pay is superior in most aspects. There is no fee of Rs 12,000 per year to pay. It is much easier to get and not limited to elite clients who have to wait for a long time to rise to that level. You get a clear 5% cashback directly credited to your Amazon Pay wallet every month without the hassle of worrying about reward points and buying vouchers.
Infinia is LTF. For majority that I know.

Now we're taking the discussion from REWARDS to HASSLE-FREE. That way there's no end to it.

However, still I feel that doing 3 clicks more and getting 33% Rewards vs 5% has no comparison whatsoever.
catchdoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 21:00   #4470
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I agree, amex Platinum reserve is a quite a pointless card. I only use it as it was offered for free and gave me Amex lounge access at Bombay airport. In past 2 years I have had it, the card only amounts to 2% or less of my total credit card spend.

Now I have had no idea about ANA Mileage Club but this is good information which I will dig into further. I don't see ANA as a partner in India Amex website, how do you transfer to them... via Bonway or any other program?

If this works for my travel routes for 2022, I might just take your advice and change my Pl Reserve to other amex card. Thanks.
I contemplated a lot amongst the Platinum Cards of Amex and decided to take the plunge in Platinum Charge Card late last year. 6 Months into the card usage and I can safely say that I have already recovered the full annual fee of the card. The icing in the cake is you get access to the Centurion Lounge with Platinum Charge card which Platinum Reserve does not get apart from being one of the least rewarding ones. There are many such perks related to travel but travel had been severly impacted. So as travel opens up I am sure this card will be much more rewarding.

The answer to your second question is

Amex -> Marriott Bonvoy -> ANA Mileage Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
How does holding 3 different Amex cards help in any way? Does splitting your spend on three cards result in cumulatively more points than had you spent all of it on one card?
Yes. By splitting the spends amongst the Amex cards, I am able to meet the bonus points requirements most of the time. Reward Points in Amex are accumulated under the topmost card you hold (Only Exception is Platinum Travel Credit Card). So I can use three cards and have points under a single card for redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is there a single place where one can calculate the air miles requirement of different airlines?
Yes. Me. You can pay me 500 Bucks per route and I will give you the 5 best Airmiles program for flying that route.

But then there are other paid options on the internet. I haven't come across a free site with a good enough database yet for this research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post

Wish Infinia was Aluminium (Err. Metal)

Last edited by tejas08 : 13th May 2021 at 21:11. Reason: Spelling correction
tejas08 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed