Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:31   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Vashi Creek Bridge to be taken under renovation from 23rd Jan to 12th Feb. May result in Heavy traffic on Vashi-Mumbai road; one sided blockage expected.
Heavy vehicles to be diverted via Airoli bridge.
Recommended to plan travel for Home/Office accordingly.
https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.hindu...N3IiN_amp.html
Today's newspaper reports suggest the repair work may be postponed to start from 1 Feb in view of a Nirankari Samagam to be held at Kharghar between 27 and 29 Jan that will see large crowds coming in.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:17   #1607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vashi Creek Bridge to be taken under renovation from 23rd Jan to 12th Feb. May result in Heavy traffic on Vashi-Mumbai road; one sided blockage expected.
Heavy vehicles to be diverted via Airoli bridge.
Recommended to plan travel for Home/Office accordingly.
https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.hindu...N3IiN_amp.html
Didn't they block the same side a few years ago, for the same work? What nonsense this is!

Hopefully they'll resurface it too, since the tarmac on the bridge is as good as finished.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:22   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Today's newspaper reports suggest the repair work may be postponed to start from 1 Feb in view of a Nirankari Samagam to be held at Kharghar between 27 and 29 Jan that will see large crowds coming in.
Thanks, I just went through the bridge half an hour back and saw it was 'traffic as usual'.

Akshay, you're right and they did a shoddy job then. The joints were not levelled properly and the road has undulations and ripples. Typical state of the BMC art.

Last edited by FarPatel : 23rd January 2018 at 10:27.
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:31   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I just went through the bridge half an hour back and saw it was 'traffic as usual'.
Due to this. It's now moved to February 2nd now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Please note this has been rescheduled to February 2nd instead of 23rd Jan'18. The said bridge will be taken for repair between Feb 2nd to Feb 21st.

Read more here - https://m.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-...WBbN3OUrL.html
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 21:13   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Diversion/Restriction Plan for Shetkari morcha on 11/3/18 in Mumbai with alternate routes.

Found this at FB.

Mumbai Traffic-fb_img_1520696363189.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 13:34   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Traffic Diversion/Restriction Plan for Shetkari morcha on 11/3/18 in Mumbai with alternate routes.
Thankfully the farmers did the right thing and moved into the city at night from Mulund. They were at azad maidan in the morning.

Kudos to them to be thoughtfull of the 10th and 12th standard board exams.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:30   #1612
Senior - BHPian

A new initiative from Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation.

Now, use push buttons at traffic signals to crossroads in Navi Mumbai

Quote:
For the first time, the city has got pedestrian push buttons at traffic junctions. The initiative will give power to the pedestrians to change the traffic signal to pedestrian walk sign and allow them to cross the road.

As part of the walkability project of the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation, installed pedestrian push buttons at the junction near D Mart and Swami Vivekanand Chowk in Kopar Khairane.

Similar push buttons have also been installed at Purushottam Khedkar chowk, Swami Samarth Chowk in Airoli and on Thane-Belapur road near Mukund company, near Bharat Bijlee and Rabale junction.

The devices were installed on Wednesday and will be activated in a day or two.
News Source : https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumba...R1AXAzzxN.html
Old 15th March 2018, 17:16   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A new initiative from Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation.

Now, use push buttons at traffic signals to crossroads in Navi Mumbai
Bangalore does have these referred to as Pelican Signals since a while now:

Mumbai Traffic-pelican_signal_bengaluru_06_750.jpg

Here's how someone wrote an article about its usage and reality check:

Quote:
Ever waited for several minutes at a busy Bengaluru road, waiting to cross? Ever spent a lot of time fruitlessly hoping that the vehicles zipping by would take pity on pedestrians?

Well, the Bengaluru traffic police have come up with a solution that, they believe, will be the end of all our woes. They’re all set to install 60 Pelican (Pedestrian Light Control Activation) traffic signals in the city – which will allow you to press a button, activate a red signal, and cross the road easily.

Except, when we tried one such signal at St Mark’s Road, the results weren’t so welcoming. Watch what happened:

https://Youtu.be/GVf5vGERrj0

After two attempts, the person finally managed to reach the other side of the road, as cars and bikes didn’t quite care for the red light. But not before one car almost ran over another pedestrian trying to cross the road when he had the right-of-way. The recently installed equipment has also been damaged on one end by miscreants.
Source: The News Minute
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 01:05   #1614
BHPian

I was coming back to Vashi via the Eastern Freeway this morning.
After the entry ramp at Imax towards Chembur, I was surprised to find the right lane cordoned off at two places and major repair work being done on the concrete of the freeway.
A heavy duty equipment was being used to dig up the concrete for re-laying the concrete.
Please factor this during weekdays for members who use the freeway because we know the traffic jam it is going to cause in the evenings for people returning home.
Old 12th April 2018, 17:02   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Mumbra bypass to be shut for repairs, will lead to traffic jams.

Quote:
Motorists will have to brace for traffic congestion for the next two months as over 40,000 heavy vehicles will be diverted to the interior parts of Navi Mumbai and Thane city as the Mumbra bypass will be shut for repairs.
Quote:
The Public Works Department (PWD) will be undertaking repair work of the dilapidated Mumbra road overbridge which goes above the railway line. Work will begin from April 16. Druing this ime not only will the ROB be repaired, but maintenance work of the 3-km Mumbra bypass will also be carried out.
News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63702325.cms
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:54   #1616
Senior - BHPian

975 2 wheelers per km chokes Mumbai road

This is horrifying news. There are around 975 bikes for every km of road in Mumbai and this is expected to reach 1000 in the next few months. presently there one 2 wheeler for every meter of the road when each 2 wheeler is around 1.8 mtrs in lenght.

The total population of bikes and scooters will cross the 20 lakh mark in just two to three months, according to the state transport department’s latest statistics, and this could lead to more congestion and pollution.

The single most reason for this exponential rise in 2 wheeler density is the absence of affordable and efficient public transportation. Add to that the rise in the income of the middle class makes the 2 wheeler ownership quite a possibility. Its not rare to find more than couple of 2 wheelers in a single family apart from the 4 wheelers. One more factor which contributed to the growth is the increase in the service industry like the courier, food and home delivery sector etc. With poor frequency of bus services and refusals by autos, it is better to purchase a two-wheeler to commute 2-3 km to the station daily. Motorcycle and scooter sales have gone up significantly in recent years, with the need for a two-wheeler for running errands, dropping child to school and coaching class, or to travel from home to station daily being some of the reasons. Many two-wheeler owners are women and college students.

Name:  New Picture.png
Views: 761
Size:  814.1 KB

To tackle this menace what does the state government do, it starts a Road safety campaign and Wear Helmets drive. The government is refusing to accept that the ever growing 2 wheeler population is slowly getting out of hand situation for obvious reasons that the road tax is the cash cow of the state. The ever increasing pollution levels due to the huge number of vehicles is choking the residents too. To cater to the increasing vehicles on the road, new roads are being planned which means greater land acquisitions and loss of green cover.

Wouldn't stopping the registration of new vehicles for a period say 3-4 yrs not allow the government to think over the issue? This applies to 4 wheeler too.

Link to the TOI article.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63873885.cms

Mods: If this subject needs a separate thread, request you to kindly create one and move the post.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 19:15   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Its been a week since I started having the traffic nightmares on my daily commute route. Its not just evenings but even mornings the crawl in the traffic is taking its toll on me. Add to that the potholes, the heavy rains, the flooded roads all peaking at the same time to ensure that the journey to office and back is torturous. It takes around 50 mins in the morning to cover a distance of 23 kms to Powai from Thane for which I have to leave home at 7 am. 30 mins before my usual time. The chronic spots of traffic jam are Patlipada & Majiwada flyovers due to some super potholes and after the Teen Haath naka flyover and Kopri ROB where the traffic crawls again due to potholes.

The evening journey is even more horrendous these days. The traffic snarls at the Kanjurmarg flyover and ROB is legendary and add to that the traffic these days on the Eastern Express highway. It takes me 40 to 50 mins to cover a distance of 10 kms on the EE Highway till Mulund toll. After the toll there is Kopri ROB which again takes me 25+ mins to cross a stretch of 100 mtrs. By the time I am through these traffic spots, the Majiwada flyover awaits for me. This is a new addition. Huffing and puffing I manage to drive the car home after having spent an exasperating 90-110 mins of painful drive. My legs give away the moment I step out of the car.

So why do I then take the car? That's the question I have been asking myself. I am petrolhead oops sorry dieselhead and I take pride in driving but this recent experiences are making me rethink.
Old 17th July 2018, 19:30   #1618
Senior - BHPian

The traffic situation in Mumbai is only getting worse by the day. It all began with the construction of the Mumbai Metro which has created a ruckus through out the city. Now adding to this ruckus are the pot hole ridden roads. Just yesterday I saw the roads outside Infinity Mall at Malad have pillars erected in the middle of the road; and I am talking about the road that is left on either side of the actual construction. I was aghast with this sight. It took us 30 minutes to just cross these pillars!!

The Western Express Highway is particularly a nightmare. Since the past two days I am seeing a traffic jam at the Thakur Village/Complex junction at Kandivali East even at 2 am in the morning!!

I honestly do not believe that the Mumbai Metro, once up and running, will ease traffic in Mumbai. But I really want to be proved wrong so that travel is better in the future.
Old 17th July 2018, 23:38   #1619
BHPian

The traffic is a royal mess.
And it is like labour pains, have to endure it to allow the metro to becomes reality.
The traffic condition will definitely get better for all once the metro is operational, case in point is the Versova - Ghatkopar line.
The Andheri Kurla road traffic is 20% of what it used to be ( well before the construction of that line began)

Coming back to Infinity Mall Malad - wherever you see square pillars a station is coming up there.
The circular pillars are part of the route.
Once the RCC work is done on the station the road blocks are removed. Just like outside InOrbit Malad.
Old 18th July 2018, 22:25   #1620
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I honestly do not believe that the Mumbai Metro, once up and running, will ease traffic in Mumbai.
Completely agreed! Mumbai Metro has worsened the traffic forever now. Not much has changed on JP road in Andheri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks