Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 01:52   #1681
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Flyover on Ghatkopar-Mankhurd road finally opened on 01st Aug. 2021.

Attachment 2187182
Source: TOI., 02nd Aug. 2021.

My observation: The flyover will no doubt give relief to commuters, however the design of the flyover is such that it will create bottlenecks at both ends. At the Mankhurd end, the flyover ends just before the Sion-Chembur road. At the Ghatkopar end, the flyover ends at the junction of the Eastern freeway, which will cause another bottleneck. Instead they should have given a direct two lane connector, at least on the Ghatkopar end, for seemless travel, like how they have a connector for trucks going to Deonar dumping ground. Overall something is better than nothing, but more detailed planning is required.
The flyover will ease some hassles underneath, but unless the traffic cops work some miracle at both ends, there is definitely going to be massive build-up during peak hours. IMHO, there can never be a golden solution, considering there's just not enough space to widen roads and judging by the ever-increasing number of vehicles, it's going to go from bad to worse. Unless the Metro is operational through the entire city, no respite in sight.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 3rd August 2021 at 01:53. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:15   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Heavy vehicles told to stay off newly opened GMLR flyover in Mumbai.

Quote:
A day after chief minister Uddhav Thackeray inaugurated the six-lane Ghatkopar-Mankhurd Link Road (GMLR) flyover, height barriers were placed at both ends restricting the movement of heavy vehicles on the 2.9km stretch as the height of a high-tension wire needs to be raised further. Local politicians complained that the flyover was opened in a hurry. “We are restricting heavy vehicles on the GMLR flyover for now as there is a fear of electrocution if they come in contact with the high-tension wire,” said a BMC official, adding that it may take up to two months to complete the work.

But BJP MP Manoj Kotak said that the BMC should have ensured this was done before the inauguration. “The flyover was built to ease heavy vehicle traffic movement, which will now continue to clog the road below it,” he said. “Besides nowhere on the structure has the BMC mentioned the name as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj flyover despite a proposal in this regard being cleared in the civic works committee meeting.” He added that while he is aware that the name is yet to be approved by the BMC’s general body, it could have been done on Friday or Saturday.

Former Govandi corporator and now MLA Rais Shaikh of Samajwadi Party (SP) said: “For most part of Monday, only the Vashi-bound carriageway was open for traffic as the stage set up for the inauguration was yet to be removed.” Both carriageways were fully operational after 4pm.
Source: TOI, 03rd Aug. 2021.
Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/84991661.cms

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 3rd August 2021 at 08:18.
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:03   #1683
BHPian

14% increase in vehicle registration in Mumbai, as compared to pre-pandemic scenario. As per this report, Mumbai has over 40 lakh vehicles currently: 12 lakh cars and about 24 lakh two-wheelers.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...w/84991308.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-screenshot_20210803_115759.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:43   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Heavy vehicles told to stay off newly opened GMLR flyover in Mumbai.

Source: TOI, 03rd Aug. 2021.
Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/84991661.cms
Be careful on this flyover, the road surface is beyond horrible. If it's decently wet, it is super slippery. Like driving on ice.

With small inputs on the steering (staying within my lane) and no real throttle inputs I could get the car to slide around.

Braking is very compromised, the abs struggling at 50kph

The surface is hilariously bad, don't know if others have felt this too.
Gautam Dhaliwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 21:37   #1685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Dhaliwal View Post
Be careful on this flyover, .
Are two wheelers allowed to ply on this flyover?

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2021, 21:46   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Are two wheelers allowed to ply on this flyover?

Thanks.
All news videos and videos uploaded by public users (like the one below) show a lot of two wheelers on the flyover.

ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:39   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Be careful on this flyover, the road surface is beyond horrible. If it's decently wet, it is super slippery. Like driving on ice.

With small inputs on the steering (staying within my lane) and no real throttle inputs I could get the car to slide around.

Braking is very compromised, the abs struggling at 50kph

I feel it every day and definitely won't call it 'hilariously' bad. Instead I curse the designers and contractors who were responsible for this shoddy job. In fact the last 100m or so at the Ghatkopar end are so bad, causing resonance vibrations that I decided to avoid it this evening and went through Chembur instead, much to my pleasant surprise. Encountered less traffic and reached home 10 minutes earlier against about an hour for the past week via the flyover. The traffic jam along the approach to the EEH at the Ghatkopar junction negates any benefit you get from the flyover, so this is what I intend doing, at least for a week, to see if I'm happy with it: use the Deonar flyover in the morning on my way from Sion to Belapur and return via Chembur in the evening.
Old 11th August 2021, 02:34   #1688
BHPian

Quote:

Totally agree with you. Traveled to and fro a couple of times on this stretch in the past week and was appalled at the shoddy condition of this newly-inaugurated flyover. Absolutely no leveling and so many potholes already! Speaks volumes about the kind of third-class work these contractors do these days; surely all the officials are hand-in-glove with these shady buffoons as always.

Also, I traveled in the morning and also during peak evening hours. There were ample 2-wheelers on both sides of the flyover.
Old 12th August 2021, 13:57   #1689
BHPian

I am getting frustrated day by day by negating through Mumbai traffic nowadays. Both during morning and evening there is huge chaos on Mumbai roads especially Dadar area. The traffic is at snail’s speed at those timing. As the local trains are still not open for all class of people (Now people who have got vaccinated for both doses are allowed from Independence day), they have no choice but to use personal vehicles or cabs which further add misery to road travelers. I have to travel 10 kms one way to my office in Worli from Sion which take approximately one hour of travelling. The undisciplined bikers and cabs(Especially black and yellow taxis) make your drive nightmare. Everyone want to go ahead of the other even if there is no space to overtake which ultimately results in minor scratches and accidents. All this has taken blow on fuel economy and our pocket also as fuel prices are touching new highs everyday.
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 14:16   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
I am getting frustrated day by day by negating through Mumbai traffic nowadays. Both during morning and evening there is huge chaos on Mumbai roads especially Dadar area. The traffic is at snail’s speed at those timing. As the local trains are still not open for all class of people (Now people who have got vaccinated for both doses are allowed from Independence day), they have no choice but to use personal vehicles or cabs which further add misery to road travelers. I have to travel 10 kms one way to my office in Worli from Sion which take approximately one hour of travelling. The undisciplined bikers and cabs(Especially black and yellow taxis) make your drive nightmare. Everyone want to go ahead of the other even if there is no space to overtake which ultimately results in minor scratches and accidents. All this has taken blow on fuel economy and our pocket also as fuel prices are touching new highs everyday.
Thank your stars you don't have to work you way through rickety, brash and erratic community called - Auto-Rickshaws, which appear like a swarm of bees moving on the road, cutting through vehicles in it's path, trying to overtake one another with a difference of 2 kmph speeds between them, filling up every inch of space available on the road, intimidating you by hard braking, overtaking from left and what not.
Ask someone the ordeal they go through because of these autos, especially those driving daily on WEH. I literally thank god upon safe arrivals at office/home without a scratch on my car.

These auto-wallahs have absolutely no respect for other drivers, they behave (drive) as if they own the road (especially, the WEH) and drive/cut/overtake as if they're to catch a train/preside over a meeting.

Post unlock, auto-wallahs have become all the more impatient/rough (term it whatever you can, the feeling is mutual).

Regards,
Jigar Shah
Old 12th August 2021, 14:37   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Thank your stars you don't have to work you way through rickety, brash and erratic community called - Auto-Rickshaws,
Post unlock, auto-wallahs have become all the more impatient/rough (term it whatever you can, the feeling is mutual).

Regards,
Jigar Shah
Jigar Bhai, if you can't beat them, Hire them.
It's better and sometimes faster to travel by rick, the Bombay weather ain't that hot now.
Let him stress and negotiate the traffic for you, whilst you sit behind him.

BTW have you noticed the Uber/Ola ricks have blinding flashers instead of honking, they use these LED flashers. "My driver was excessively honking" feedback works.

On a serious note, eagerly awaiting the start of Metro 2A and 7, that should remove atleast 25% of the traffic, which the city needs a respite from.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 16:32   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post

On a serious note, eagerly awaiting the start of Metro 2A and 7, that should remove atleast 25% of the traffic, which the city needs a respite from.
This remains to be seen. Mumbai has become Pune with increasing two wheeler population.

Metro will work if good feeder services are in place, else people will still use their private vehicles.
And yes autodrivers tailgate you like hell, i was scared of them during my recent visit to Andheri.
Old 13th August 2021, 08:45   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Sion to Worli via Dadar.
Couple of alternatives you could try.

1. Go via Bandra Worli sea link instead of via Dadar if it’s possible.
Downside is, you would have to pay additional toll both ways and, it might not always be faster and / or less traffic.

2. Try to leave a little early for work if possible. The earlier you leave, the faster you reach and, you may reach a bit more relaxed.
Going back home it would still be a bit stressful in the evening unless, you left back for home pretty late at night and, I wouldn’t advise that.

3. Take an Uber to office and, an Uber back home from work.
It could be less stressful as, you wouldn’t have to handle the stress of driving.
Downside is, normal Uber fares have recently increased and, they jump even higher during surcharge.

4. I won’t suggest public transport for now.
I’ve seen BEST buses absolutely packed, it may be a bit risky in these times. I checked Google Maps, it shows that you have 351, 357 and 521 Ltd, they leave from Sion circle and pass through Worli naka.

5. Hire a driver so, you don’t have to take the stress of driving and parking.
Downside would be additional monthly cash outflow.

Let us know whatever you have tried and, the results.

Members please share your views too thanks.
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:52   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
Let us know whatever you have tried and, the results.
All your alternatives suggestions are good and well appreciated. I have tried all the alternatives suggested by you except the first one of using Bandra Worli Sea link. All other options are not favorable to me as hiring Ola/Uber in peak hours is not pocket friendly on daily basis and avoiding public transport due to Covid-19 situation. I will definitely try taking Sea link route.
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:31   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As the local trains are still not open...they have no choice but to use personal vehicles or cabs which further add misery to road travelers. I have to travel 10 kms one way to my office in Worli from Sion which take approximately one hour of travelling. The undisciplined bikers and cabs(Especially black and yellow taxis) make your drive nightmare. Everyone want to go ahead of the other even if there is no space to overtake...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
These auto-wallahs have absolutely no respect for other drivers...
No public transport, bad auto guys, one hour for 10km, no lane discipline, chaos in the morning and evening...Mumbai has become Bangalore! (Without the good weather to mitigate things!)

Last edited by am1m : 13th August 2021 at 16:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks