Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 14:01   #781
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

traffic is at a standstill on the WEH near santacruz while going south, right now.
Haven't moved an inch in the last 15 mins.
Wonder what's wrong?
Old 26th August 2013, 08:50   #782
Senior - BHPian

Blockades put at the end of the Gandhinagar flyover towards Powai for repairing the drain coverings. Bit of traffic jam experience there. Surprised to see that Concrete drain covers are being used to replace the earlier steel ones, wonder how long will these concrete covers last?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:35   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Blockades put at the end of the Gandhinagar flyover towards Powai for repairing the drain coverings. Bit of traffic jam experience there. Surprised to see that Concrete drain covers are being used to replace the earlier steel ones, wonder how long will these concrete covers last?
I was ready for this bottleneck based on your input. Also, there were updates over the weekend that ROB at Kanjur Marg had been closed for repairs. I was expecting a smooth drive till this place. However, the madness started about half a km before the start of JVLR on EEH. It was crawling traffic till the end of Kanjur Marg ROB (and no repairs have been done, it is as bad as ever). Beyond this point, the traffic was a trickle. Hence, the repair work at the end of Gandhi Nagar flyover did not really matter. Because of the traffic being held up much earlier, there was smoother flow in Powai.
Old 27th August 2013, 19:59   #784
BHPian

Work has started on the existing Majiwada flyover to connect it with future flyover plans. At present, one lane has been blocked at the center of the flyover (going towards Nashik). A concrete mixer was dumping concrete in the evening. I'm not sure of the exact work going on at present as zinc sheets obstruct the view.

I remembered Godhlur mentioning about a video in YouTube - . I'm imagining how different flyovers will co-exist at this place.
Old 29th August 2013, 16:50   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
A portion of the road, opposite Bachelor's on Chowpatty has caved in.
Some more pics i received on Whatsapp (sorry don't know who originally took em):
Mumbai Traffic-img20130824wa0000.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-img20130824wa0001.jpg

Quote:
God knows how long will it take for the crater to look like road again?
Went past yesterday. Its been repaired with paver-blocks (and is the flattest little part of the horribly kept Marine drive).

cya
R
Old 29th August 2013, 17:00   #786
Team-BHP Support

That is called a sinkhole. Happens all over the world.

Check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole

Google image search:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=si...GsfHrQfssYHwAw
Old 29th August 2013, 18:17   #787
BHPian

I need one festival per week (preferably mid-week) to enjoy driving on the roads in Bombay.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:45   #788
Senior - BHPian

With the traffic cops absent on the Saki Vihar Road, it was play time for the usual suspects to break the traffic at their will.

Also surprisingly it took 5 min to cross the Majiwade stretch in the otherwise 20 mins taken during normal days.
Old 5th September 2013, 14:17   #789
BHPian

A barricade has been placed on JVLR, after IIT signal. It has been lying there for 3-4 days now and the authorities have not bother to remove it. The position is such that motorists notice it very late and have to move left to avoid hitting it. When will the authorities remove this? Is there a portal where we can lodge a complaint?
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-barricade.jpg  

sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 12:05   #790
Senior - BHPian

A case of road rage in the Link road near Goregoan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22529783.cms

Quote:
Garment trader Sumeet Mehra (35) and his interior decorator wife were driving from their neighbourhood of Malad to Lokhandwala on Monday evening when they were harassed and their car damaged after a near-collision. The bikers left them alone only when the wife tried photographing them with her cell phone. The Oshiwara police have registered a non-cognizable complaint and are trying to identify the bikers.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:12   #791
BHPian

So I was coming from andheri to kandivali via the WEH around 1.5 hrs back and below the Andheri flyover there was a huge jam and it took close to 20 mins to cover a distance of less than half a km.

There was a big naka bandi ahead with too many cops and they were pulling up a lot of people and even checking the boot of a Zen with a sub woofer.
Again after a km ahead I could see many other cops. All were the brown uniform ones.
Anyone knows the reason for so much checking today? This is my daily route and I haven't seen anything like this before.

Also, how's the traffic near Lalbaug? Any place to park safely there near Lalbaug cha raja?

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 13th September 2013 at 12:14.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:39   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Anyone knows the reason for so much checking today? This is my daily route and I haven't seen anything like this before.
Hello,

Today is 5th day Ganpati Visarjan & these checking & naka bandi are to ensure that any unwarranted incident is prevented.

Mumbai police, ATS (Anti Terrorism Squad) & other forces are literally on thier toes to prevent any attack on the city.

Also with start of festival season (Ganpati, Navratri & Diwali) such Naka bandi's will be usual affair in Mumbai.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 12:55   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
A barricade has been placed on JVLR, after IIT signal. It has been lying there for 3-4 days now and the authorities have not bother to remove it. The position is such that motorists notice it very late and have to move left to avoid hitting it. When will the authorities remove this? Is there a portal where we can lodge a complaint?
Kiran,
Just now lodged a complaint on the trafficpolicemumbai website and also called up the traffic control room, appraised them of the barricade and requested them to be removed. Hopefully they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Today is 5th day Ganpati Visarjan & these checking & naka bandi are to ensure that any unwarranted incident is prevented.

Mumbai police, ATS (Anti Terrorism Squad) & other forces are literally on thier toes to prevent any attack on the city.
Mumbai traffic police have updated the route information for the immersion of Ganpati 2013. Link attached.
http://www.trafficpolicemumbai.org/G...13%20-Demo.htm

Tried to open the ppt, but doesnt open properly although the maps on the rest of the links can be clearly seen. The words are seen as warbled.

Sorry mods for the back to back post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2013 at 11:59. Reason: Merging. You could use the EDIT button to add your text to the original post within 30 mins ;)
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 12:01   #794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mumbai traffic police have updated the route information for the immersion of Ganpati 2013. Link attached.
Nice! Attaching a sample here (and yes the PPT words were garbled for me too):

Mumbai Traffic-lalbaug-cha-raja-ganpati-emersion.gif

cya
R
Old 16th September 2013, 18:09   #795
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone passed through Aarey Road lately? How is the condition of the road? Reason for asking - ever present traffic snarls on JVLR from SEEPZ towards WEH after 6 pm during evenings.

I guess due to Ganpati Imersions, the road would have been patched up atleast to last for fortnight.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks