Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 18:16   #391
BHPian

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
This happened with me two weeks back in UAE.
Attached is the only picture I have from that day. Did not even get a chance to click a picture with the good souls who helped us that day.
That was one perfect Off-road fest

But it is wonderful to know how many people have comeup to aid ! Absolutely fabulous ! kudos to that Prince too ! I cannot imagine how our VIPs would've reacted !

Only if there were some pics !

With all those Big beasts on the slush trying to pull out one another would just be a dream-pic of any enthusiast !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:03   #392
BHPian

This sad thing happened yesterday, well, on the road.

I was following a Fortuner (with BJP sticker and '0555' number) driven by some young chaps. I was in my Activa. I saw a stray dog crossing the road, 8-10 ft from the Fortuner. The Fortuner guy sped up and hit the dog (when he had crossed the road) intentionally by going off the road. Both tyres went over the dog and it was in extreme pain. I stopped there and tried to calm down the poor creature. The spine had most probably broken and the poor dog was fighting for his life, howling and calling other dogs and turning (throwing himself) from one side to other in pain. There was no bloodshed but the dog was in pain. I called up PFA but their rescue vehicle was already gone somewhere. I was not willing to leave that dog in this state of distress. Covered him with a cleaning cloth I had and got some biscuits and water. I called up some other rescue centres also but they were very rude and replied that I have to bring the animal to the shelter myself. Frustrated, I stood beside the dog trying to calm him down. He was going to die, I knew. After around 1 hour, it lied down motionless on one side, still in pain but could not express/cry anymore. After some time, it passed away. What a painful and slow death it had. :(

Sad thing is that there was not a single soul ready to help me in the 2 hours I spent on the road. And believe me, two hours (5 to 7 in the evening) saw a lot of rush on that road but not even a single person? Hundreds of people passed and a few even commented like "Ab toh mar hi gya", "Chodo ab nahi bachega", "Kutta hi toh hai". All this happened outside a 500 yard house in Sector 9 of a supposedly "educated" person, who came out hearing the dog crying but went back soon after. Many residents passed from there with their fat Saint Bernards and Labradors but didn't volunteer to help. So busy with their own lives? With earning money? So selfish, to not even help the poor dog? I have made a promise to myself : to NEVER stop for "any" needy human being (really?) on the road. I know many will disagree, but this is my thinking and I am sure this is not going to change, at all now.

I took the dog to a nearby ground and dumped his body. I remembered the way he was wagging his tail when I had poured water over its mouth. On the way back home, I had tears in my eyes. RIP dear.

Last edited by swift_guy : 11th February 2016 at 12:08.
swift_guy is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:09   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post

I took the dog to a nearby ground and dumped his body. I remembered the way he was wagging his tail when I had poured water over its mouth. On the way back home, I had tears in my eyes. RIP dear.
God bless you for what you did for the poor dog - may it's soul rest in peace. i'm sure in it's final hour he was happy that you were there with him.

something similar happened to us last year. we had started from a friend's place in Cambridge Layout and were on our way to pick up another friend in Koramangala (two bikes and a car); we were taking the Old Airport road. just after the Command Hospital i saw a puppy crossing the road and a red i10 running over it; the driver sped away without stopping. the whole thing happened before my eyes

the puppy was yelping in pain and was dragging itself to the side of the road. i stopped on the side and others followed suit. i ran to the puppy, about 3-4 months old, and took her in my arms. there were no external injuries, but i figured the spine had broken when then car went over her hind side. she was writhing in pain and i was trying to calm her down while others were trying to call animal services, the likes of VoSD and CUPA. no one was picking the calls. i knew of a VoSD office nearby and decided to take the pup there.

my wife covered the puppy in her stole and we gently laid the puppy on the back seat of the car and my wife sat with her. i led the convoy, headlights on and hazard lights flashing, but when we reached VoSD office, it was closed. Googled other animal services and found Cessna Animal Hospital the closest, on the Inner Ring Road. rushed there and carried the pup up the flights of stairs and to the check up room. the doctor was examining another dog, but when we told it was an accident case, she obliged.

she checked the pup, looked at us and shook her head. the pup was DOA.

all this while my wife was holding back her tears, she burst out crying. i went down to their office and paid for the puppy's funeral and we left. it was a sad day, a young life abruptly came to an end. even sadder was the fact that when we were still on the road, trying to calm the puppy, people were just stopping, looking, taking pictures and telling us "leave her there", "it's only a dog", "it's not your problem" etc.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th February 2016 at 13:11.
IronH4WK is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:25   #394
BHPian

Quote:
I have made a promise to myself : to NEVER stop for "any" needy human being (really?) on the road.
Thanks for being humane. It is such a rare thing these days. Deciding not to stop for any needy human is totally changing your nature and becoming something else. You are a kind hearted person and your kind are the best of humanity. Why do you want to stoop to their level?

Last edited by Enobarbus : 11th February 2016 at 13:29.
Enobarbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:50   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
--Guess who?

Bless your soul for at least trying. I do believe what goes around comes back around. Its hard to find humanity nowadays, but when you do, its surprising.

Going by the quote above we are lost as a country.

Quote:
I have made a promise to myself : to NEVER stop for "any" needy human being (really?) on the road.
I really don't blame you. The poor animal cant even tell you whats wrong, while a human with a scratch will probably be "dying".
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 13:57   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember a partly-squashed squirrel on a London road. The front part was still struggling to move whilst the back legs had become part of the tarmac. It probably would not have lived long, but I cannot forget what I should have done, which was to end its pain instantly by aiming to run over its head.

Except, perhaps, for those with rural, animal-farm upbringing, it is very hard to kill an animal like this this, even though it is the thing that should be done when there is major injury and no hope.

It is so hard for the decent humans among us, that it seems impossible that there are monsters that kill and maim for pleasure. I wish the pain they have caused may visit them in their dreams.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:08   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

May god bless you sir for your gesture.

And may the fortuner driver rot in hell. Karma will get back to him one day for sure.

And let the poor dog RIP :(
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 14:35   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was following a Fortuner (with BJP sticker and '0555' number) driven by some young chaps. I was in my Activa. I saw a stray dog crossing the road, 8-10 ft from the Fortuner. The Fortuner guy sped up and hit the dog (when he had crossed the road) intentionally by going off the road. Both tyres went over the dog and it was in extreme pain. I stopped there and tried to calm down the poor creature. The spine had most probably broken and the poor dog was fighting for his life, howling and calling other dogs and turning (throwing himself) from one side to other in pain. There was no bloodshed but the dog was in pain. I called up PFA but their rescue vehicle was already gone somewhere. I was not willing to leave that dog in this state of distress. Covered him with a cleaning cloth I had and got some biscuits and water. I called up some other rescue centres also but they were very rude and replied that I have to bring the animal to the shelter myself. Frustrated, I stood beside the dog trying to calm him down. He was going to die, I knew. After around 1 hour, it lied down motionless on one side, still in pain but could not express/cry anymore. After some time, it passed away. What a painful and slow death it had. :(

Sad thing is that there was not a single soul ready to help me in the 2 hours I spent on the road. And believe me, two hours (5 to 7 in the evening) saw a lot of rush on that road but not even a single person? Hundreds of people passed and a few even commented like "Ab toh mar hi gya", "Chodo ab nahi bachega", "Kutta hi toh hai". All this happened outside a 500 yard house in Sector 9 of a supposedly "educated" person, who came out hearing the dog crying but went back soon after. Many residents passed from there with their fat Saint Bernards and Labradors but didn't volunteer to help. So busy with their own lives? With earning money? So selfish, to not even help the poor dog? I have made a promise to myself : to NEVER stop for "any" needy human being (really?) on the road. I know many will disagree, but this is my thinking and I am sure this is not going to change, at all now.

You are amazing. Not many like you exist.

Can you please write a blog post of this incident with the entire car number and description and share it to whatever media you can and spread the word? I think this Fortuner dude deserves trouble and he should be put into it at any cost.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 15:19   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remembered the way he was wagging his tail when I had poured water over its mouth.
The faithfulness of a dog even when it is dying.
Good on your part for what you did.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 21:25   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
even sadder was the fact that when we were still on the road, trying to calm the puppy, people were just stopping, looking, taking pictures and telling us "leave her there", "it's only a dog", "it's not your problem" etc.
In your case, at least you were able to take that pup to the doctor. I was on a two-wheeler and it was impossible to transport the dog without someone's help. That is why I was cursing those morons for not helping me.

This "it's only a dog" attitude is ridiculous, when a human being is run over, is he/she not "only a human"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Deciding not to stop for any needy human is totally changing your nature and becoming something else. You are a kind hearted person and your kind are the best of humanity. Why do you want to stoop to their level?
I had expected to be questioned on this. Animals are innocent, humans are not. Humans can express/fight back, animals can not. Humans have better options (like being taken to a hospital) from their own kind, animals do not.

A human being has done a wrong deed to an animal (with wrong intention), except for a handful of kind ones. Animals, I believe, do not harm someone with a bad intention. Dogs chase vehicles but that is due to territory and past reasons (like they were disturbed/attacked by a car/biker some time). This is what I believe and you can agree or disagree. But I am sure if you had been at my place for that time, you views would have highly changed.

In case of accident victims also, how many stop? There are always more than 50% who slow down and drive away, instead of helping. Eg - Nirbhaya case in Delhi. What can we expect from them in case of animals?

If in my case, the bikers who said "Leave, it's only a dog" crashed after a few meters, they would have attracted a crowd of helping people. This was a karma hit (payback) and they don't deserve such level of kindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The poor animal cant even tell you whats wrong, while a human with a scratch will probably be "dying".
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is so hard for the decent humans among us, that it seems impossible that there are monsters that kill and maim for pleasure. I wish the pain they have caused may visit them in their dreams.

Pleasure it is. They were a group of 3/4 young brats driving around. The poor dog had somehow dodged one car and crossed half of the road. It crossed the other half and was off the tarmac, but this moron shoots the car towards him (who was probably unaware of any danger, after having crossed the road), takes the left side off the road, runs over the dog and speeds away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
May god bless you sir for your gesture.
No 'Sir', I am a college-goer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
And may the fortuner driver rot in hell. Karma will get back to him one day for sure.
That is all what we can do. Even when I called PFA, they didn't ask once about the car which ran over the dog. When I told them the details of the car, they clearly said "No, that won't help".

This is India and I don't think anyone would have questioned the Fortuner (courtesy, the party signs on it) even if he had ran over a human. Really regret living in this corrupt country sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you please write a blog post of this incident with the entire car number and description and share it to whatever media you can and spread the word? I think this Fortuner dude deserves trouble and he should be put into it at any cost.
I will start my own blog soon and will dedicate one good long article on this issue. Problem is that I don't have the full registration number. HR 51 - - 0555 is all I remember. White colour, 3D plates (green base for letters), light black tints, a BJP flag at front and similar sticker on rear windshield. But actually speaking, all it would take is 500 bucks from the Fortuner owner's pocket to let him free. That too, in the worst case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The faithfulness of a dog even when it is dying.
True.

- - -

Nice to know there are so many animal lovers on this forum. Thanks for being kind to the voiceless, may God bless you and you all lead a long and happy life.

I have been supporting and helping animals since childhood days. 3 strays who were born under my car in 2008 are still with me. All I would say is, actively support the welfare organisations and avoid doing bad to the animals (if you can't do any thing good). Half of the problem will be solved. At the end of the day, it feels nice that at least someone (what if it is an animal) wishes good for you.

EDIT - I am planning to paste some awareness stickers on all my cars. Something that says 'Stop animal cruelty' or 'Be kind to animals' would cost hardly 180 bucks from online sources like Vistaprint. If anyone else also accepts this idea and plans to do the same, .

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th February 2016 at 03:41. Reason: Fixed quote tags
swift_guy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 11:52   #401
BHPian

Quote:

I had expected to be questioned on this. Animals are innocent, humans are not. Humans can express/fight back, animals can not. Humans have better options (like being taken to a hospital) from their own kind, animals do not.
There is also the chance of being sued/extorted by the very chap you tried saving.

I am not sure if I will help or not, it all depends on the surroundings, locality and the passengers I am carrying. If I am with my child, I would in all probability not stop. I will just make a phone call to the emergency help line.

I once helped a biker at Western express highway who had skidded in front of me without my car touching him. Once the public gathered he started yelling that I hit him. I quickly got in my car and drove off. Being in Mumbai and a local I was not too worried about him filing a complaint.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:19   #402
BHPian

Quote:
This sad thing happened yesterday, well, on the road.... I remembered the way he was wagging his tail when I had poured water over its mouth. On the way back home, I had tears in my eyes. RIP dear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

something similar happened to us last year.
This is so painful to share and let me bring in my experience which is so akin to this.

In early 2010, I was in my final year B.Tech. doing in Tirupati. We used to have a couple of Dogs around our home and needless to say, they were my buddies. In meantime, one Dog got some puppies and only 2 survived. The mother was white and so was one of its offspring and the other was black.
I used to feed the mother daily and everything was going good.
One day, in the late evening, I was on a call, standing at the door while the puppies were playing around with mother at some distance. It was a local street and the vehicular traffic was low. The white puppy was lying on the shoulder and then comes a middle-aged man on Scooty. This mindless idiot was looking at the houses instead of the roads and he veers onto the shoulder with the wheels trampling the puppy's tummy while it squealed and sped away like nothing happened.

And I ran towards it and so did other guy who used to run a salon. The puppy's shrieks were filled with agony while the milk it drank just a while from the mother came out. This was a heart wrenching site. We moved the puppy to its mother but its mother did not seem to care. IT was moving away. I cleaned the mouth of the puppy and gave water but it did not drink. . I went to a nearby Govt. run hospital and the doc gave some injection and asked me to take it to the University in the morning. And all the while, the pup was shivering. In the first hour of the morning, I rushed to the Vet Univ. Some student docs were only available and after checking it out, they said that its skeletal system almost broke and cannot survive.
In the afternoon, the pour soul left the world. The boy at Salon cremated it.
This is truly painful to share such stories but it is a bit soothing to know that there are some people who respect the life of animals too...
poised2drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:35   #403
BHPian

Sharing a story from Bombay on the Western Express Highway. People who use this road are very well versed about it huge traffic pile ups which can some times go up to several kilometers.

On one such day, I was following an SUV on my way to office and on the Dindoshi flyover (Goregaon), on top of the flyover was a small kitten mewing away to glory certainly confused and damn scared of all the vehicles around.

How it landed on the top of a flyover is a mystery coz this little one was hardly a couple of weeks old. I noticed the kitten on my right shoulder, but then the SUV guy did something which immensely moved me. He stops the SUV on the middle of a flyover, gets down, picks up the kitten, gives it a hug, a small peck on its head , collects him, puts him in the SUV and drives away with it.

Bless him and all the folks of his ilk. May your tribe flourish.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:51   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
He stops the SUV on the middle of a flyover, gets down, picks up the kitten, gives it a hug, a small peck on its head , collects him, puts him in the SUV and drives away with it.
This gesture to stop to help is nice but on the middle of a flyover (with huge traffic) is deadly. Anyway what he did for the kitten is really appreciated.

Practically speaking : While performing such things, one must move his/her vehicle out of the way and make sure that one is not blocking the road. Stopping the vehicle at a safe place and then stepping out and going ahead (keeping in mind the oncoming traffic) to help an animal is a better idea.
Old 12th February 2016, 12:59   #405
BHPian

Quote:
This gesture to stop to help is nice but on the middle of a flyover (with huge traffic) is deadly. Anyway what he did for the kitten is really appreciated.

Practically speaking : While performing such things, one must move his/her vehicle out of the way and make sure that one is not blocking the road. Stopping the vehicle at a safe place and then stepping out and going ahead (keeping in mind the oncoming traffic) to help an animal is a better idea.
Fully agreed, but we were already sitting in a grid lock with no lanes moving, and the whole episode played out in less than a minute.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks