2005-2006
....a dog...

Mid-2014
... a medium sized crow ...

Late-2014

... a kitten mewing constantly...

Late-2013
... a kitten darting on the road....
Wow! You are some sort of animal-whisper to attract various kinds of animals and birds to you!

I too have stopped my car ( and the traffic) to pick up puppies in the middle of the road, but haven't yet made anyone a pet. I don't think I can handle that level of commitment. Hats off to your helping nature
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 19:53   #422

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

It was the incidence from year 2002. At that time I had a desktop computer and my father used to do video editing on the computer. Computers needed faster hard disks those times due to video processing requirement. Normal HDD used to run at 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm HDDs were considered faster in those times which were coming at a premium.

So I got 40 GB Seagate Baracuda (Rs.6400) at that time. Baracuda sounds like ( Bara + cuda = "12" + cuda ) in Marathi. So Once I was telling about baracuda to my friends. Suddenly one of my friend popped a question

How much 'cuda's do the normal HDDs have?

All the friends did ROFL in 2002 engineering style after this question.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 17th May 2016 at 19:55.
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 12:54   #423

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Heres a funny incident which happened to me a few days ago -

So I was driving home at around 1230am, in the X3 and about 5 mins from home was passing an area where there are small trucks/tempos. Now these trucks and tempos drive on high beams all the time, and the way their beams are pointed it is just blinding. So that day too I was driving on the road, and there was only one other car on the road, on the opposite side with high beams on right in my face.

I thought it must be one of the tempo fellows, and these high beams were like no other I have seen before. The street lighting was low on that road, and these lights were blinding me so much I couldn't even make out what car it was. I flashed my headlamps once to request the vehicle to dip their lights. No reaction, high beams still on. I don't know why but I lost my cool, flashed about 8-10 times while pointing my car a slight bit towards that car (this was at about 20kmph, couldn't go faster because I couldn't see). And the xenons of the X3 are pretty blinding too when on high beam.

Finally when I was about 20-30 feet away the vehicle dipped their high beams. Lo and behold, it was a Bolero full of cops with their hand out of the window, and they were very pissed Didn't stop to look but scurried out of there. They might have been a bit more considerate with their high beam after that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:05   #424

Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
..it was a Bolero full of cops
Deja vu! It'd happened to me as well. Fortunately/unfortunately, there was an SUV behind me, who also seemed to be pissed at the cops' Bolero, and was flashing the headlights. After we passed the cops, I let the SUV go past and was using it as a pilot This happened a few years ago in Bangalore
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:21   #425

An unusual and heartwarming experience for the other person, but a really funny experience for me.

Our house is located next to a coaching centre. In summer time, many students park their 2 wheelers and cars on the opposite side of the road under shade of some trees. The classes get over at 12 noon and the teacher leaves for his next batch (at some other coaching centre) by 1 PM.

At 1.30 PM last week, I parked my car under the shade and stepped out. I found an ID-Card thingy on the ground and picked it up. It was a plastic pouch containing documents of a car. It had RC (Reg. Certificate), insurance and pollution certificate of a Maruti Ritz. I was pretty sure that some student from the coaching centre might have dropped the documents by mistake. I checked the details on the RC document. The car was registered on a lady's name and the registered address was 10-12 km from my place. At 1.38 PM, I called on the number given on the insurance document and a boy picked up. I asked him if he had his car documents with him. At that time, he was not aware that he had dropped them and thought that I was some prankster. He said that he had his documents and hung up abruptly.

I decided that I will give the documents to the teacher and went outside to note down his contact number. It was 1.40 PM just when I was about to dial the teacher's number that the boy called back. This time his tone was like a 10 year old. "Bhaiyya, who are you?" he said.

I decided to play a bit here and told him that I have his car documents. He said that he had them in his wallet in the morning, but has misplaced them now. I confirmed some details from him (acting like a goon) and he said "Bhaiyya, please return my documents. I will collect them today itself". Just as I was about to tell him a nearby place to meet, the devil inside me woke up and I told him that I had visited the place for a business deal and live in a village 70 km away. I added that I am leaving for Himachal in 2 days and he will have to collect the papers from me by then. 15 seconds of silence, and the poor boy agreed to come to the village to collect his documents.

In between, he said that his parents will bash him for misplacing the documents, they will take away the car and such. But I didn't budge. I told him that I will call him in an hour to confirm if I am available or not.

45 minutes passed and the nervous chap calls back. 'An idle mind is devil's workshop' they say. I picked up and demanded some money from him. He said "Bhaiyya, abhi toh mai baccha hu!, to which I questioned him on how is he driving a car then! He asked me how much money I wanted. I told him that in a similar case, if I had handed over the documents to the cops, they would have taken a handsome bribe and in case he wants to get documents again from RTO, they would also charge a good amount, so told him to bring 2000 bucks with him.

He agreed and I told him to call back in an hour if he can arrange the money by then, else forget his documents. At 3.30 PM, he called back and told me that 2000 bucks was too steep and "Dekh lo". I told him to bring 1000 bucks at 5 PM and I would send my aadmi at such and such place (1 km from where he had dropped the documents) to collect the money beforehand (world of 'Cash before delivery'). He agreed to bring 1000 bucks but at 6.15 PM, since he had his Maths classes from 5 to 6. Barely able to control my laughter, I told him not to include the Police or friends or family in this matter!

At 6.15 PM, I reached the agreed spot with the papers and started looking around for the boy. He called me at 6.20 PM that he has reached with the money. Pure bollywood-style, I told him to wait at the bench near the main entrance of the park and hung up. I went to him and told him that I was the same person! I returned the documents to him and we both were laughing like retards in the park. Lol.

After some chit-chat, I gave him some lessons on how he should inform his family first in such matters and so on before leaving. Not sure how he would have felt after this incident but it was funny as hell for me!

MODS : Move to the right thread if needed.
biggrin is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 21:38   #426

Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
An unusual and heartwarming experience for the other person, but a really funny experience for me.
===========
MODS : Move to the right thread if needed.
To each, his own. But when I stand in the shoes of that kid, I feel sad for him. Pranks are funny at times, but may be for few seconds/minutes, and within limits.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2016 at 22:24. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short reply. Thanks.
petrol_power is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 11:58   #427

Funny & heartwarming? Sorry to say, a prank like this, that too in the lines of extortion can turn real ugly.
vb-saan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:11   #428

I found it very funny and was chuckling to myself while reading it.

But things could have gone bad for you if the kid had involved the police or someone as funny as you.

It might have been a good idea to involve someone like the teacher and / or other students to protect yourself from a false allegation of extortion.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:16   #429

Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
To each, his own. But when I stand in the shoes of that kid, I feel sad for him. Pranks are funny at times, but may be for few seconds/minutes, and within limits.
Funny & heartwarming? Sorry to say, a prank like this, that too in the lines of extortion can turn real ugly.
Oops, after posting this, I am feeling bad and guilty.

I accept that I took the prank too far (and long) for it to be fun. But, believe me, the series of events that happened didn't make me feel that I am doing anything wrong. I wanted to take this in a fun way. The delay which I had created in returning the documents (till 5 PM) was because I had other commitments and not because I wanted to mentally torture the boy. If I had time to return the documents, I would have returned the documents (although in the same twisted way) at that moment itself. My intent was not to torture/extort the other person. Please accept my apologies and treat this as a confession.

PS. To be clear, I didn't take his money and returned the documents without any argument.

Last edited by biggrin : 29th May 2016 at 12:23. Reason: PS.
biggrin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:19   #430

PS. To be clear, I didn't take his money and returned the documents without any argument.
You did, but in case he had informed the police or something of that sort, remember its illegal to possess their documents. If you were caught in the middle of the deal, you would have had to plead like that guy.

That said, I wouldn't have involved money in this(even if he offered on the call I would refuse it) and would have just called him in front of my house and made him do something really funny

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2016 at 20:53. Reason: Typo
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:20   #431

Scenario 1
The kid is the son of a cop. Daddy takes offence to your prank and decides to get involved.

Sub-scenario 1.1
He decides to press charges on extortion and you end up in deep crap.

Sub-scenario 1.2
He asks you for money in exchange for not pressing charges. The (unintended) extortioner becomes the extortionee.

Scenario 2
The kid is the son of a local goon/politician/politician-goon etc. No need to elaborate what happens next.

Scenario 3
Kid shows up with a bunch of friends, may or may not lead to a happy ending.

Scenario 4
All's well that ends well. What actually happened to you.

Thats a 3:1 chance of things going bad. Not a chance I'd be willing to take. But hey, I'm sure you must have thought this through.
GeneralJazz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:42   #432

Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
But hey, I'm sure you must have thought this through.
I am pretty sure, having lived in a place like Haryana since two decades, that I would have not gone to this extent in case the boy would have showed any signs of Scenario 1 & 2. During my conversation with that boy, he seemed to be a very innocent chap from a simple family. Otherwise he would have straight away asked my address and said "Tu jaanta nahi mera baap kaun hai?" (in Scenario 1 and 2) or acted aggressively and said "Tujhe dekh lunga" (in Scenario 3). In case he was a very high class person with a lot of contacts, he would have offered any amount instead of calling back to negotiate. Any way, who would have messed up with such people? I would have simply laughed and told him the truth on the phone itself in a friendly manner.

In any of the above cases or in case the guy turned up with friends, I would have simply moved away from the spot since the boy didn't know me (and couldn't identify me) and returned his documents to the teacher the next day. Then the boy would have thought that I was a prankster and may/may not have pursued to fight back. So yes, I had thought of all this beforehand.

His language, tone, ascent and temper suggested that he is a civilized and simple person (like the ones who get easily bullied in school, bad example I know but it is a reality) and that is why I didn't think twice before doing this. He was an 18 year old by the way.

Not defending myself but sharing what I would have done in such Scenarios. I agree that this was a risky thing to do. To add to that, my uncle is in Police.

On a lighter note, I seriously doubt if he would have worried about losing his car documents (in Scenario 1 & 2) or even have valid car documents at the first place.

Last edited by biggrin : 29th May 2016 at 12:48. Reason: Added more
biggrin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 13:16   #433

I am pretty sure, having lived in a place like Haryana since two decades, that I would have not gone to this extent in case the boy would have showed any signs of Scenario 1 & 2.
I made the post regarding the Haryana part! Anyways keep your pranks safe buddy. Stay safe, keep revvin'.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:04   #434
D C

Careful while you park during a stormy weather, I damaged a nice car! And, what followed the incident encouraged me to write this.

My office is very next to the beach and I casually pulled up to a parking spot as usual. That was the day Chennai was experiencing a stormy weather due to a low pressure formed in the Bay of Bengal. Without realizing the intensity of wind outside, I opened the door and the wind was blowing so fast that it forced my door wide open and hit the car parked on the next spot, leaving a dent and a scratch of almost 10 inches. Unfortunately, that was a Jaguar XJL! I identified the owner and walked up to his office to offer an apology and a fix. Since, he was unavailable, I spoke with his Executive Assistant and Admin team. They reviewed the damages, took pictures and informed me that they will get in touch after reviewing it with the owner. They called me back a few hours later indicating that the owner decided to ignore it! The damage doesn’t look good on such a beautifully maintained car, however, in a world where most people make a big fuss about silly things, I am happy to have found a nice gentleman with a positive attitude. He happens to be the Founder and CEO of one of the largest matrimony portal in India!
D C is offline   (129) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:33   #435

Originally Posted by D C View Post
Careful while you park during a stormy weather, I damaged a nice car! And, what followed the incident encouraged me to write this.

My office is very next to the beach and I casually pulled up to a parking spot as usual. That was the day Chennai was experiencing a stormy weather due to a low pressure formed in the Bay of Bengal. Without realizing the intensity of wind outside, I opened the door and the wind was blowing so fast that it forced my door wide open and hit the car parked on the next spot, leaving a dent and a scratch of almost 10 inches. Unfortunately, that was a Jaguar XJL! I identified the owner and walked up to his office to offer an apology and a fix. Since, he was unavailable, I spoke with his Executive Assistant and Admin team. They reviewed the damages, took pictures and informed me that they will get in touch after reviewing it with the owner. They called me back a few hours later indicating that the owner decided to ignore it! The damage doesn’t look good on such a beautifully maintained car, however, in a world where most people make a big fuss about silly things, I am happy to have found a nice gentleman with a positive attitude. He happens to be the Founder and CEO of one of the largest matrimony portal in India!

Nice things happen to nice people. You were courteous enough to take the time and find out and inform the owner. How many people would do that?
arvind71181 is offline   (50) Thanks