Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 17:02   #3661
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
As Fastag becomes mandatory from 01st Dec.19, I have two questions.

1. Which is the best Fastag ? I know there will be mixed reviews but just wanted to know.
2. I have a dashcam installed right in the centre, below the rear view mirror and I cant change the location of this. All videos and instructions of Fastag mention that the RFID sticker is supposed to be stuck in the centre of the windscreen. Is it mandatory to do so, or I can install it at the side like PUC?
I'll be going in for the Paytm one for the simple reason that it will come linked to the paytm wallet. Going ahead with this inspite of having read quite a lot of bad reviews about them.
ICICI seems to be the best among the whole lot going by this thread.

Cannot comment on the placement of the tag, but there are people (just read from the posts here) who have laminated the tags and bring it out to scan when needed.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 17:05   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

Cannot comment on the placement of the tag, but there are people (just read from the posts here) who have laminated the tags and bring it out to scan when needed.

Thanks for the info.
Keeping it loose in the car is also a good idea. Will it cause any problems? What if the toll plaza does not have a manual scanner?
Old 4th November 2019, 18:15   #3663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it mandatory to do so, or I can install it at the side like PUC?
Location is not an issue, a friend of mine has stuck tag on driver side corner of the windshield. Only issue, especially if you have multiple stickers on windshield is that you will have to slow down and point the tag to security guard at start of the lane in case its manned.

Since center of windshield is the common location, they will be looking for tag there. Apart from this small issue, I dont think you need to worry about anything while sticking the tag.

However, if Fastags become mandatory from 01 Dec as planned now, it may become a redundant point.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:15   #3664
BHPian

I am not sure how well prepared we are for the Dec 1 deadline.

I have been using a Fastag for sometime now and to this day, my family fails to see the benefit as I appear to spend more time than other vehicles at toll plazas.

For eg Airport tollbooth Bangalore, late at night. The longest line was for Fastag. While others were getting through using the other lanes, I was stuck here as there was an issue with their scanner and each vehicle had to needlessly slow down and then wait.

The sheer volume of vehicles in the other (cash) lanes makes me wonder if we will ever be ready for this change.

Also the whole practice of having these lanes barricaded and then for someone to move it after seeing the tag is quite cumbersome and labour intensive.
(This should ideally become redundant from 1st, if every lane is a tag lane)

I definitely welcome the move but I am not sure about people adopting this and making things more seamless for all.
rakirank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 23:54   #3665
BHPian

I shuttle between Gurgaon and Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh) and I can say that now almost all the lanes at all the tolls are Fastag enabled on this route. Means one can enter enter any lane which has least congestion and move on cashless.

This being said, people even with new cars are not activating their Fastags, either they are not bothered or are not aware about the ease of using Fastag. Administration must do something about this issue, right approach with right attitude can straighten up the things quickly.
Old 5th November 2019, 15:39   #3666
BHPian

I recently got a Fastag from ICICI and used it for the first time on my trip to Goa and back. The experience when going to Goa was smooth as the traffic was very less and got preferential treatment on a couple of toll plazas. The experience during the return trip, however, was totally opposite. There was too much traffic on the way to Pune and at nearly every toll plaza there were vehicles without Fastags in the dedicated lane and despite the warning that such vehicles would be charged double the toll, it seemed like nobody cared about it and everyone seemed to be paying the normal toll amount. In fact, it took us longer in the dedicated lanes while other lanes were moving faster. In many cases, the Fastag lane was clearly marked but as we got closer we realised that other lanes accepted Fastags too. I think they should do a better job of explaining which lanes accept Fastags or not and the signboards should be big enough to be visible from a distance. Overall, I have had a mixed experience so far and unless they fix the poor implementation and encourage the majority of the cars to have Fastags or provide dedicated lanes with strict enforcement it's not going to work.

Another thing is despite paying all the tolls I got the following text from ICICI about deducting Rs. 190 as dispute charge

Quote:
Dear Customer, ICICI Bank FASTag Account linked to VRN MH12XXXXXX has been debited with Rs 190.00 for dispute on trip number 3911XXXXX on 03-11-2019 16:00:24. In case of discrepancy, please share RC copy and vehicle image by raising a complaint under Dispute transaction/Chargeback in Fastag Customer Portal.
When I checked on the Fastag portal I found that this was from the Kini toll plaza, and my activity history was already showing Rs. 75 debited from my account, so don't understand why they have raised a dispute? Sounds like a scam TBH. I have made a complaint through the ICICI Fastag portal, so hoping that they would revert the transaction. If they do not resolve these issues then I don't see much benefit of using Fastag. I was better off with cash.

Last edited by MandarMax : 5th November 2019 at 15:44.
Old 5th November 2019, 16:20   #3667
Senior - BHPian

I installed Fastag on my Storme wit mixed results. Just before Diwali I drove from Noida to Chandigarh via Rohtak. On the smaller plazas, there were dedicated lanes for Fastag which were physically blocked to prevent non tag vehicles from entering. This worked well and saved me some time. However, on the GT road it was free for all. Non tag vehicles vehicles were not being prevented from using these lanes. Most lanes had been converted to Fastag but wee also accepting cash.

I am also not clear if you get the benefit of lower rates for a return journey within 24 hours. This is something you do get in case of paying the toll manually and availing the return trip option. I will be traveling to Rohtak again this weekend and will check this out.

Experienced users may please shed some light on this.
Old 6th November 2019, 08:19   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I am also not clear if you get the benefit of lower rates for a return journey within 24 hours. This is something you do get in case of paying the toll manually and availing the return trip option. I will be traveling to Rohtak again this weekend and will check this out.

Experienced users may please shed some light on this.
I have seen this work (if you travel within 24 hours through same toll plaza), you get charged lower rate. I use ICICI FasTag
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 09:22   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I have seen this work (if you travel within 24 hours through same toll plaza), you get charged lower rate. I use ICICI FasTag
Same here. I have used two FasTags (ICICI earlier and now AXIS). In elevated highway @ Bangalore; single trip is Rs. 50 but multiple trips within a day is Rs. 70.

So when I make my morning trip to office, Rs. 50 gets deducted and when I return (before 23:59Hrs the same day) only Rs. 20 gets deducted.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:38   #3670

I have a fasttag from Axis, I checked my balance and it had 500 balance, however on Nasik Ghoti toll plaza it showed me insufficient balance. I paid cash and then called Axis for explanation, however even they confirmed that the balance is indeed 500 and pointed that the issue is with NHAI toll.
It doesn't make sense if the tag is not going to work 100% of the time.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:03   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Bought the SBI Fastag from Amazon. It was activated in 6 hours after sending all documents through Whatsapp.

Tried it on NH48 and working flawlessly.

80% of the private cars that I saw around the highway did not have Fastag. Wondering how will the rule be implemented by 01st December. I think it's another gimmick like the Aadhar card where it was made mandatory and then finally announced that Aadhar is not compulsory. The NHAI and Government of India is perhaps not doing enough to advertise on the Fastag. On the other hand most people don't know what is a Fastag.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:33   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
Bought the SBI Fastag from Amazon. It was activated in 6 hours after sending all documents through Whatsapp.
Is there any advantage in getting an SBI tag if you are an existing SBI customer?
Old 9th November 2019, 10:48   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Is there any advantage in getting an SBI tag if you are an existing SBI customer?

There is no advantage at all. And it's not linked to SBI account. Whether you have a SBI account or not, does not matter. You can still buy a SBI Fastag. I am topping it up though my Yes bank credit card.

After usage, I can check my account deductions on the Fastag App (Android) and I also receive an SMS on my registered mobile number (not immediately though).

Reason for buying it from Amazon was to buy it online. You can also buy other banks, equitas, Paytm ones online.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 14:04   #3674

I am having horrible experience with Fasttag. I have a one with Axis bank, the toll plaza shows insufficient balance but I have enough balance. When i contacted the bank they say there is no issue so I contacted NHAI toll free number, even they say everything is fine, not sure where the issue is.

Is it because Fasting was registered on temp number and that now I have got my permanent registration?
Anyway I have asked Axis to update my permanent registration number hope it solves.

Let me know if anyone else is facing similar issues.
Old 10th November 2019, 01:40   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Gave the so called "Fast tag" which is supposed to ensure "Smooth" & "Cashless" experience a shot only to experience some frustrating and some hilarious moments during my recent trip to GJ and back.

Got the tag from HDFC, was delivered in about 5-6 days after registration for my XUV, but well, the Fast tag i registered for my 530d, Came only after a month till then i had already closed my account for both the cars!

In short, Pathetic customer care from HDFC, They had the "Don't care" attitude on call while i tried to trace my fast tag for bmw which was not even delivered by more than a month and also they had no response to why the fast tag did not work at most places. They were extremely rude as well, As if they were doing a favour to answer my call and answer my questions.

The Fast tag only worked on baroda - Ahmedabad expressway seemlessly, Everywhere else, I had to wait for atleast 5-10 minutes, Reverse/Move my car at the toll for the scanner to read or Wait for their gun's to read the tag etc. I Could have simply paid in cash and saved least about half hour least in total time i spent on the most of the tolls, One way! Tag either din't work and i had to pay in cash lateron or i was allowed to pass through without paying at a few instances.

Some pictures from the fast tag experience from the MH - GJ Tolls, Wasting time that is.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot-20191110-1.36.19-am.png

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot-20191110-1.36.02-am.png

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot-20191110-1.35.50-am.png

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot-20191110-1.35.39-am.png

To top it all was the way HDFC customer care people talk to you, Hilarious actually, I Wonder what will happen after 1st december.

I don't know if it would make a difference, But registered for a fast tag from ICICI bank now, Hoping for atleast better customer care from them.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks