Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 21:54   #3586
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Paytm fastag got activated.
150 is the balance shown.
Just want to know what happens when this amount is over. Will further deductions happen automatically from Paytm Wallet or is there any means to add more to this balance as I can't find anything.
All the fastag transactions get deducted from the normal paytm wallet.
This fastag wallet is like a reserve balance. It never gets used. Even when the paytm wallet has 0 balance, the toll will show as 'invalid tag' but will not use this balance.

The only scenario in which this fastag wallet would be used is on the expressways where they charge you on the exits based on the entry point slip and you have sufficient balance to exit one gate but not enough balance to exit another gate.

So in this scenario the entry gate will not show 'invalid tag' but at the exit you will be charged from fastag wallet.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 22:16   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Paytm fastag got activated.
150 is the balance shown.
Just want to know what happens when this amount is over. Will further deductions happen automatically from Paytm Wallet or is there any means to add more to this balance as I can't find anything.
If you have balance in Paytm wallet this 150 is never used. In case you run out of wallet balance, 150 will be used at first scan and you will get reminder in registered mobile number to fill up the wallet. After the refill, it comes back to 150.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 23:52   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.
Another question. As I have 2 cars, can 1 paytm wallet account be linked for both fastag accounts or we need separate paytm wallets?
Old 9th October 2019, 09:43   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Yes. You got it, despite how confusing I made it sound

The tag is in the service booklet pouch and the pouch is stored in the front glovebox. That's what puzzled me.
My provider is ICICI.
And I have the toll receipt in case I need it for the reversal process.
I will indeed go through all the posts to find some clue to my problem.
Cheers.
AB
It's an RFID tag. Doesn't need a line of sight to be scanned. As long as it's not covered in something that blocks RFID signals, it'll get scanned anywhere within the range of the scanner.
Vysakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 10:15   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Another question. As I have 2 cars, can 1 paytm wallet account be linked for both fastag accounts or we need separate paytm wallets?
Both the cars can be linked to one Paytm account. Absolutely no issues.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 12:32   #3591
BHPian

Has anyone faced an issue where you were sitting in Mumbai and got an alert that the tag was used in Hyderabad? Mine is HDFC linked and their support number doesn't work. So raised a complaint via 1033
Old 11th October 2019, 02:45   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
Has anyone faced an issue where you were sitting in Mumbai and got an alert that the tag was used in Hyderabad? Mine is HDFC linked and their support number doesn't work. So raised a complaint via 1033
I am sitting in New York City, BUT I do get alert when it's used on our vehicle in Mumbai.
So the distance does NOT matter. The cell# linked to the tag/vehicle does matter.

Last edited by JMaruru : 11th October 2019 at 02:55.
Old 11th October 2019, 02:49   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am sitting in New York City, BUT i get alert when it's used in Mumbai.
So the distance does NOT matter. The cell# linked to the tag/vehicle does matter.
Maybe I am wrong but I think he's suggesting that his TAG was used without authorization in a different city than he actually was in.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 20:26   #3594
BHPian

I recently traveled from Bangalore to Goa and realized there's a FasTag scam going on NH4 toll plazas from Bangalore to Hubli. If you are not in dedicated FasTag lane, the guy at the toll gate will say tag is blacklisted & force you to pay in cash. Once you pay & exit, the tag is charged and you end up paying double toll and realize only later when you receive the sms. This happened with me in 3 tolls and on third one I simply got down from the car & showed the guy tag status on Paytm app and asked him to show me his screen where it says invalid. He then relented & said it's working & I can proceed.

So beware guys, toll collectors are using this scam to collect double toll from FasTag users.

Last edited by asethi : 11th October 2019 at 20:27.
asethi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 09:13   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Maybe I am wrong but I think he's suggesting that his TAG was used without authorization in a different city than he actually was in.
That is correct. They reversed the charges the same day though, and then some. I now have an extra 360 bucks I did not make in the tag account. Complained about that too, no response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
I recently traveled from Bangalore to Goa and realized there's a FasTag scam going on NH4 toll plazas from Bangalore to Hubli. If you are not in dedicated FasTag lane, the guy at the toll gate will say tag is blacklisted & force you to pay in cash. Once you pay & exit, the tag is charged and you end up paying double toll and realize only later when you receive the sms. This happened with me in 3 tolls and on third one I simply got down from the car & showed the guy tag status on Paytm app and asked him to show me his screen where it says invalid. He then relented & said it's working & I can proceed.

So beware guys, toll collectors are using this scam to collect double toll from FasTag users.
You should complain to 1033. It actually works!

Last edited by caffeineAM : 12th October 2019 at 09:14.
Old 13th October 2019, 15:53   #3596
BHPian

Did a quick run from Mumbai to Shirdi. Did not end up using the Fastag lane enroute to Nashik as there was too much crowd and i could not see which lane was tag enabled out of 4 or 5 lanes. Fastag worked seamlessly in the Nagpur - Sinnar Tollway.

However while returning the tag was not getting detected (again in a single Fastag lane) at Ghoti. the guy got out the scanner and things were sorted. At Mumbai end the tag did not work again and the toll guy told me it is blacklisted. I reverted back as how is it possible as i was allowed only a couple of hours back at Ghoti. He got out with a scanner and things were sorted. All in all i took more time than paying cash.

Also Mumbai Nashik expressway have a lot of boards near the toll booths proclaiming govt decision of mandatory fastag from Dec 01. However only 1 lane is Fastag enabled. I really did not try to apply logic as how can you convince people to move to Fastag by enabling only one lane.
Old 14th October 2019, 01:47   #3597

Being from Armed forces, I am exempted from paying tolls as per MV act. Can someone guide me if Fastag can be procured with exempted coding inbuilt?

Anyone using such arrangement can guide me about the procedure please.
Old 14th October 2019, 08:07   #3598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
They reversed the charges the same day though, and then some. I now have an extra 360 bucks I did not make in the tag account. Complained about that too, no response.
Why would you want to complain about that? If you aren't satisfied with the loot already in place, donate that money to charity. Just make sure that 360 bucks is not part of the cashback though. If I'm not mistaken, toll charges are like not less than 1 Re per km. This is in addition to the 15 year road tax charged upfront. Just to put this in perspective, taxes/ surcharges/ cess per litre of fuel is more than the cost per litre of fuel itself. I'm not even going to bring the taxes on a new car into the equation.

Last edited by longhorn : 14th October 2019 at 08:11.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 11:49   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanetrucker View Post
Being from Armed forces, I am exempted from paying tolls as per MV act. Can someone guide me if Fastag can be procured with exempted coding inbuilt?
As per below TOI article, you need to contact Indian highways management company limited(IHMCL).

Quote:
Sources said the ministry has prepared a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for rolling out the scheme. Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL), an SPV under administrative control of NHAI, will seek applications through the regional offices across states and people can apply online for the zero transaction tags. “After verification of the vehicle number and the entitlement of the applicant, tags will be issued. So, only those vehicles with these tags will be allowed to ply without paying user fee,” said an official.
Source

Unfortunately official website of IHMCL do not have updated information regarding exempted fasttag.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot_20191014115118.jpg

Last edited by Who_are_you : 14th October 2019 at 11:53.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:57   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Why would you want to complain about that? If you aren't satisfied with the loot already in place, donate that money to charity.
I think they added that as a buffer for upcoming wrong debits. This morning I received an SMS for 75 debited in "Toll Pantangi" for my car!

Earlier ones were for "Guduru Toll". Given both these are near Hyderabad, I'm wondering if there's a connection. Of course nobody is going to investigate.

Most Viewed