Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 10:31   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Had driven to Hyderabad last week, was pleasantly surprised that Fastag was in place in ORR, where tag gets detected initially and money is deducted at the exit gate based on the gate. So Fastag can be implemented in same way at NICE road in bangalore which causes huge line in peak hours at toll gate, question is who will bell the cat?
The same strategy can be used in NICE Road in Bangalore, and also in the much cursed L&T Byepass in Coimbatore area. But the problem is that in both these places the NHAI does not have much say. These roads were built in some kind of non-standard agreement between the road builder and state government (and with NHAI having limited say). NICE is pretty much like a private road.
Old 15th July 2019, 16:24   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The same strategy can be used in NICE Road in Bangalore, and also in the much cursed L&T Byepass in Coimbatore area. But the problem is that in both these places the NHAI does not have much say. These roads were built in some kind of non-standard agreement between the road builder and state government (and with NHAI having limited say). NICE is pretty much like a private road.
The L&T Bypass was awarded to L&T under a Build-Operate-Transfer agreement for a period of 32 years, until 2029. After the NHAI was set up, the widening of the bypass was awarded to IVRCL who had to pull out, after L&T went to court.

NICE road is privately owned. The land belongs to the consortium under the Build-Own-Operate-Transfer policy.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 18:35   #3438
BHPian

My bad run continues with FASTags!

Old car had V-kool sun film on the windshield which I never needed to remove because it was quite transparent but good in rejecting some amount of sun heat. I got a FASTag from ICICI and pasted right under the IRVM. It never worked, so peeled it off and got another one from IDFC, this time pasted it on top right (driver side) of the glass. Even this didn't work, on top of that, IDFC blacklisted my tag without assigning any reason.

I was quite annoyed but didn't give up, by this time PayTM had launched its tag and BHPians having sun films were already sharing bad experiences with tags. Got third one from PayTM, for some good reason, it used to work at couple of tolls in Haryana and Punjab, at least it worked all the times with the hand handled scanners. In due course, sold the car, got the tag deactivated and PayTM was kind enough to refund the reserve amount .

Recently bought a new car which came with a HDFC tag from the NEXA dealership. So far so good, my office in DLF Cyber City decided to introduce RFID tag based parking area access. The DLF staff pasted the new RFID sticker right under the HDFC FASTag. I thought it is alright to do so, but no, now even HDFC tag doesn't work on tolls. FASTag itself is just fine because at Panipat toll, cashier performed some antics in blocking/covering the DLF RFID tag and voila, HDFC tag worked with hand scanner after 3-4 attempts.

So what is next? My wife says that there is someone in her office who faced similar situation, alleged solution of the problem is to stick FASTag away from DLF RFID tag. Will try this out .

Last edited by Motor_Nut : 15th July 2019 at 18:56.
Motor_Nut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 18:53   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_Nut View Post
My wife says that there is someone in her office who faced similar situation, alleged solution of the problem is to stick FASTag away from DLF RFID tag. Will try this out .
The readers don't like the tags placed next to each other. I had to destroy the Mahindra factory tag in my car to make the fastag readers happy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th July 2019 at 21:16. Reason: Grammar.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 20:29   #3440
BHPian

Thanks very much for the tip. I too have a DLF RFID parking tag pasted smack bang in the middle of the windshield. So the Fastag will go to the top right.
Old 16th July 2019, 09:09   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_Nut View Post
...The DLF staff pasted the new RFID sticker right under the HDFC FASTag... even HDFC tag doesn't work on tolls. FASTag itself is just fine because at Panipat toll, cashier performed some antics in blocking/covering the DLF RFID tag and voila, HDFC tag worked with hand scanner after 3-4 attempts.

...solution of the problem is to stick FASTag away from DLF RFID tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The readers don't like the tags placed next to each other. I had to destroy the Mahindra factory tag in my car to make the fastag readers happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I too have a DLF RFID parking tag pasted smack bang in the middle of the windshield. So the Fastag will go to the top right.
Most of the RFID tags used here are passive tags. There are a few exceptions among the parking tags that house a battery. The passive tags need a Radio Frequency (RF) electromagnetic field to power up and respond to the readers' commands. When there are multiple tags (including the factory-fitted ones which are useless) in the vicinity of a reader, all of them receive the field, because... Magic? No, physics. Depending on the type of tag, basically the frequency of the field to which the tag's antenna has been tuned, compatible tags power up - the electronics inside them prepare for data transfer. The reader can listen to only one tag at a time. When there are multiple tags in the field, the first one to respond will be attempted to be read. The other tags power down. If the wrong tag responds first, the reader will be getting an invalid response and it will try again. Usually, the FASTag responds first in one of the many attempts. Sometimes, the reader will time out after receiving invalid responses, and we end up with "Invalid Tag" displayed on the screen.

Using a hand-held reader with limited range concentrates the field over a small area that contains the FASTag, hence the tag is read faster. The laser pointer helps the operator to direct the reader at the right area. When there are multiple tags pasted close to each other, the scenario is no different from how it is with the boom mounted reader.

The ideal scenario will be to have only the appropriate tag accessible, and all the other tags safely tucked inside ESD-protected bags or wrapped in metal foils. The next best option is to remove the factory-fitted RFID tag and paste the other tags as far apart as possible on the windshield or on the front quarter-glass.

UPDATE:
Incorrect charges on FASTag are caused by database related problems and have got nothing to do with the tag per se. Often times users blame the tag while the problem is because of the set up at a particular toll booth.

I had written about windshields having metallized coatings, such as those in more expensive cars. These coatings prevent the RF field from energizing the tags pasted inside. The solution is to paste the tag outside the windshield, or not paste it at all - instead, hold the tag outside the car, after rolling down the window at toll booths.

Last edited by silversteed : 16th July 2019 at 09:28.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 11:47   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
1) Cash payers pay the same toll as every other road users.
2) Cash payers pay the same Road tax as every other road users.
3) Cash payers pay the same tax on fuel as every other road users
Well, if we all stuck to cash, we'd all forever be stuck at the toll gates right? An automatic toll payment system (when Fastag gets there) is way quicker and eventually, would not need human intervention at all.

While you are looking at it as 'another payment method', we should look at the convenience and speed it offers (or, hopefully, will offer). In most European countries, there are toll booths but no gates or boom barriers...you just pass through the lane and the amount gets deducted. There is no option to stop and pay cash!! We too should get there quickly!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd July 2019 at 13:41. Reason: compacted quoted post
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:57   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
An automatic toll payment system (when Fastag gets there) is way quicker and eventually, would not need human intervention at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
But I am just wondering why should some people who choose a particular mode of payment be punished while others who have opted for other payment mode enjoy privileges?
The simplest/quickest argument as to why cash toll should be higher (or more appropriately, the electronic toll should be lower) is that the marginal cost of toll collection is higher when cash is used, compared to electronic collection. All these costs are lesser, or do not exist for electronic toll collection:

* Consumables (paper, ink...)
* Capex - printers, currency counting machines etc.
* Manpower - collection staff, note counters...
* Security costs - currency storage and transportation
* Costs imposed by banks on currency transactions
* Compliance - less expensive auditing, less prone to collusion/theft/siphoning

That is not allowing for the opportunity cost of all the time lost in toll booth queues. Or the loss due to the informal toffee currency usage.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 17:12   #3444
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Is there any downside to destroying the factory tag. (i.e - is there any use of the tag once the car leaves the showroom). I can understand the "Digital Khichdi" that could happen as multiple tags on the windscreen get activated simultaneously. and the simplest way would be to minimise the number of raid stickers on the car.
kdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 09:34   #3445
Senior - BHPian

All lanes at toll plazas to be 'FASTag lanes' from Dec 1 [Source: TOI]

Quote:
To ensure seamless traffic and prevent congestion at toll plazas, the government Friday said it has decided to declare all lanes at toll fee plaza on national highways as 'FASTag lanes' from December 1.

However, among all lanes, one 'hybrid lane' will be allowed at every toll plaza to facilitate and monitor over-dimensional or oversized vehicles, where FASTag and other modes of payment will be accepted.

In a statement, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways said this lane will also be converted into FASTag-only lane in a time-bound manner.

After December 1, non-FASTag users will be charged double the fee if they pass through FASTag-only lanes.
Similar News :
Only digital payments for highway toll from December. Else, pay double: Centre [Source : Hindustan Times]

FASTag ‘must’ from Dec; just 1 lane for others [Source : The Pioneer]

Though as a FASTag user, its a welcome news for me, however, I am skeptical about implementation on the ground. How are the toll operators going to stop non-tag / no-balance tags / blacklisted tags to enter the tag lanes. The Kherki Daula toll plaza near Gurgaon has a automated pre-barrier system to re-route such vehicles to Combo-lanes (while coming from Jaipur side).

Quoting my earlier post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
At Kherki Daula Toll Plaza - Jaipur Delhi Highway (NH 48) - coming from Jaipur side

Excellent implementation of FASTag Toll collection system; absolutely seamless. In case a vehicle is found to be without working FASTag, it can easily be re-directed to adjacent lanes (see the cab reversing in left lane).

<video>
Not sure if the same can be adopted now, as all the adjacent lanes too will be FASTag only lanes.

More than that, I am worried about the safety of the Toll collection staff when they would block the non-tag vehicles from all lanes except one (and that lane is going to have huge queue) or ask double toll. In past, toll staff has been abused, beaten and even killed for asking even the normal toll.

I hope before implementing this, the government gives wide publicity so that coverage of FASTag can be maximized and blacklisting of the same is minimized. Only then smooth transition can be expected.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 20th July 2019 at 09:37. Reason: Grammar
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 21:53   #3446
BHPian

All valid points @AutoNoob.

But if we keep waiting for people to fall in line themselves and keep fearing these goons, adoption of fasttag will never be completed. I agree initially there will be lots of violations. But eventually the situation will improve. I guess I am an optimist. But I will like to believe that way.
Old 21st July 2019, 23:48   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
In past, toll staff has been abused, beaten and even killed for asking even the normal toll.
Let the staff collect only the normal toll rates but at the same time take a still photo of the offending car from the cctv. Make entering a fastag lane and paying cash a traffic offence with the fine directly being sent to the vehicle owners home alongwith the proof like the current speed tickets. Problem solved I believe
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:39   #3448
Senior - BHPian

I was just chatting with toll both guy at NICE toll road in Bangalore, about getting change is difficult. He said from January NICE will also have Fastag. Should be good relief for Bangaloreans waiting at NICE toll road especially on weekdays traveling to office in this road.

Last edited by shamanth : 22nd July 2019 at 08:40.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:36   #3449
Senior - BHPian

I have realized one issue with the fast tag. Many people have a local pass, ie vehicles which are registered within 2 km of the toll pay only a flat monthly rate. Khed Shivapur toll on Pune Bangalore highway has Rs 250 per month local pass.
When user pays for the local pass, the Fast tag readers at the booth are supposed to start exempting that particular car for a month, this does not always happen, and if toll is debited and refund applied for the reply is local issue to be sorted at the toll booth itself.
That means the local user has to pay his monthly fee, and then see that his vehicle has been added to the exempted data base. Secondly with the exemption process decentralized to the booth, goons are going to use strong arm tactics to get their vehicles exempted.

Rahul
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:30   #3450
BHPian

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...s-how/1652040/

Let's see if this makes any difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks