Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 22:10   #3421
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Many months ago I tried getting a Fastag and dropped the idea after realizing I needed lot of paper work to get it activated. Few months ago, I ordered one on paytm mall and the delivery date for the tag was 3 weeks from order date. I cancelled it.

Fast forward to early June, I filled up a form online on Equitas, paid online, attached my PAN and vechile RC copy pics online and got the fastag delivered and active in 2 days. That's quite fast. This week I travelled from Hyderabad-Vizag and it's absolute bliss to have this. My first experience was in Hyderabad outer ring road and it's pleasant.

The only problem I faced initially with Equitas was recharging it via UPI. The payment didn't just go through their website via UPI. i.e., I never got the collect request to my UPI app on phone after initialising the payment on website. Filled up my experience in the "feedback" section of their website. Got a call promply the next day and I was given my own unique UPI id attached to my Fastag so I can just send money to it and it will be credited to my Fastag instantly. Brilliant!
jagan88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 11:04   #3422
Distinguished - BHPian

Faulty electronic toll barrier slams on the car - Chennasamudram Toll

I am always worried about this electronic toll barrier slamming on the car due to any issues and unfortunately this happened during one of my recent drive towards Chennai. At chennasamudram toll, the system detected the Fastag successfully and opened up but just when I was passing through it came down again. Luckily there wasn't much damage bonnet.

Toll guys had a simple response, faulty sensor.

arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 15:48   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan88 View Post
Fast forward to early June, I filled up a form online on Equitas, paid online, attached my PAN and vechile RC copy pics online and got the fastag delivered and active in 2 days. That's quite fast. This week I travelled from Hyderabad-Vizag and it's absolute bliss to have this. My first experience was in Hyderabad outer ring road and it's pleasant.

I had the exact same experience. HDFC said about 10 days, ICICI about a week and Paytm wanted about 2-3 weeks.
I did through Equitas and everything sorted in about 2-3 days.

I do not understand how/ why is there such a vast parity in the services.

Logistically any of the est. brands/ banks like HDFC and ICICI should be able to turn around much faster than a newbie/ relative unknown like Equitas.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:48   #3424
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Fastag sensors at some tolls like Vaniymabadi & Chennasamudram continue to puzzle me.
Did a quick Bangalore-Chennai run recently and at both these tolls the exclusive lanes were closed for repair and I was directed to use the adjacent lane to the right. These were manned lanes and I positioned the car to the right side, close to the manned booth and tag did not get detected. Toll staff asked me to position the car to the left side and it got detected immediately.
I thought that since the sensors are located to the left (back of the exclusive Fastag lane), it worked like this.

During return journey, Fastag worked fine in the exclusive lane at Chennasamudram but failed at Vaniyambadi though I'd positioned the car to left edge. The attendant came out and used the hand held scanner and we were good to go.

Nemili(Sriperumbudur) toll has signage now indicating all lanes support Fastag and here I chose the one with least traffic (just one or two vehicles) since the exclusive lane had a long line of trucks.

Overall, Fastag worked at all the tolls during this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I am always worried about this electronic toll barrier slamming on the car due to any issues and unfortunately this happened during one of my recent drive towards Chennai. At chennasamudram toll, the system detected the Fastag successfully and opened up but just when I was passing through it came down again. Luckily there wasn't much damage bonnet.
Oops, just saw this and it was close, you missed some major bonnet damage by a whisker!
And this is again at Chennasamudram. I'm always wary of these barriers coming down suddenly, so I usually take a second or two to get moving after the barrier moves up.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd July 2019 at 11:55.
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:21   #3425
BHPian

To encourage FastTag usage, govt is proposing penalizing cash payment at the tolls.

Paying by cash? Pay up ‘penalty’ at toll plazas
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 01:16   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Lovely move, that's the only way to make sure people shift to electronic payment.
Old 4th July 2019, 01:25   #3427
BHPian

Sorry not done my homework but asking here if there is a way to get a duplicate fasttag as my windshield was replaced. The earlier fasttag, that was awkwardly stuck by the RTO on outside, got damaged and was thrown away by ASS during windshield replacement.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:25   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Sorry not done my homework but asking here if there is a way to get a duplicate fasttag as my windshield was replaced. The earlier fasttag, that was awkwardly stuck by the RTO on outside, got damaged and was thrown away by ASS during windshield replacement.
Yes - they charge you about 250 for it.

In ICICI, it was fairly painless and took about 4 days
Old 4th July 2019, 09:52   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Pay more for toll if paying using cash.

NHAI is proposing a penalty upto 20% higher tolls if paid using cash.
Clear move to discourage cash transactions and increase fastag adoption

https://m.economictimes.com/news/pol...w/70050420.cms
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 14:05   #3430
BHPian

So decided to stop equitas and try icici. Applied for icici and tried closing equitas account. But it wont allow me to close the account because i have low balance. I was asked to recharge the account first so that it can be closed with a promise that everything will be transferred to bank. Funny ways these people operate things.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 14:42   #3431
BHPian

Hey BHPians,
I am also planning to get a FastTag but can not decide which one to pick. I have a bank account in SBI, PNB and Axis Bank. Which one of these provides the best experience? Also, will applying a FastTag from PayTM be a better choice?

P.S. Will the FastTag work if I get a tint installed? I am planning to get some short of Film applied on the front windscreen. I have read at many places and at TBHP as well that FastTag does not work when a tint is applied to the glass. Is it true?
MrBeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 16:47   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Had driven to Hyderabad last week, was pleasantly surprised that Fastag was in place in ORR, where tag gets detected initially and money is deducted at the exit gate based on the gate. So Fastag can be implemented in same way at NICE road in bangalore which causes huge line in peak hours at toll gate, question is who will bell the cat?
Old 8th July 2019, 17:29   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Hey BHPians,
I am also planning to get a FastTag but can not decide which one to pick. I have a bank account in SBI, PNB and Axis Bank.

Will the FastTag work if I get a tint installed? I am planning to get some short of Film applied on the front windscreen. I have read at many places and at TBHP as well that FastTag does not work when a tint is applied to the glass. Is it true?
I have SBI FASTag and it worked fine on last trip with a Lumar film installed on the front windshield. If you have SBI account it allows for auto debit. So it may be a hassle free option. Of course I have not experience of other brand FASTag.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 11:20   #3434
BHPian

FASTag also works with 3M film. I have CR 70 installed on the front windshield and it works without any problem.
Old 14th July 2019, 19:59   #3435
BHPian

Was looking for FastTag since long then heard this NHIA proposed penalty on cash transaction news. So decided to go for it. I opted for ICICI fastTag, which comes pretty quick. Places order on 9th July and on 13th July fastTag delivered at my door. Total charges spent was INR 454.87 including INR 200 initial balance.

One can use ICICI's fastTag web portal or their pocket app to register & recharge fastTag account. It is fairly easy using pocket app to recharge tag account and to monitor credit & debit transactions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks