Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 09:59   #5731
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Had purchased my Fastag from Amazon India about 3 years back and used it without any issues till date. Now when I am opening my SBI Fastag App, I am getting a message to update the KYC. Is this mandatory? Has anyone got the message ?

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20210629_095941.jpg
Old 29th June 2021, 10:47   #5732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
The joy didn't last too long. Travelled on Yamuna Expressway this weekend.

Return on Sunday evening/ Monday morning would be nightmare for sure.

I hope more lanes are equipped soon with FASTag.
Surprised to see such important roads not having FAStag fully implemented. Seriously all lanes should be enabled.

I don't remember spending anything more than a couple of minutes at the toll plaza's with the FAStag implementation.

I think we should get rid of the barriers as well if the Tags can be scanned quickly. It should be just driving in the lane. No need of the Huge infra setup.
Old 29th June 2021, 11:35   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Had purchased my Fastag from Amazon India about 3 years back and used it without any issues till date. Now when I am opening my SBI Fastag App, I am getting a message to update the KYC. Is this mandatory? Has anyone got the message ?
Yes, it is mandatory to update KYC, more-so if not done earlier. It's basically a Bank/ Wallet account, so same norms apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Surprised to see such important roads not having FAStag fully implemented. Seriously all lanes should be enabled.
I have tracked implementation of FASTag on Yamuna Expressway for last two years. The operator tried every trick possible to avoid/ delay the implementation. Increasing lanes would require another big persistent push from authorities. The operator surely wants to make FASTag as painful as possible, so that people start avoiding it on YEW.

Another case is the Western Peripheral Expressway (or Kundli-Manesar-Palwal Expressway) around Delhi. No FASTag here as well as its operated by private entity. Whereas, its cousin, the Eastern Peripheral Expressway(EPE) has FASTag from almost day 1 as its operated by NHAI.

It's anybody's guess why private highway operators dread FASTag. All transaction info is recorded with government agency, leaving hardly any scope for cooking books.

Quote:
I think we should get rid of the barriers as well if the Tags can be scanned quickly. It should be just driving in the lane. No need of the Huge infra setup.
I think the tech (RFID) is not yet at a point where it can be read from a fast moving vehicle. So, slowing down to around 10~20kmph is required. However, if there is no barrier, I don't think many would slow down, let alone stop if tag is not read (Green Light).
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:19   #5734
BHPian

I passed through Brahmarakotlu toll plaza (near Mangalore) on 23rd June morning around 9AM. All the lights were off and boom barrier was up. Nobody was Manning the plaza. I slowed down only enough to cross over the hump. After half an hour, message of toll deduction appears. I am surprised sensors can be tuned to be sensitive.
Same day I applied for cancellation of fastag as I was selling my car. PayTm promptly credited 400INR back in 6 days in 2 installments without any follow ups.
_chikku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:26   #5735
Distinguished - BHPian

Old Fastag - Replacement initiated by ICICI

As mentioned here (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!), my Fastag is almost 5 years old and I was facing issues in detection in certain toll booth lanes.

This was not a random issue and was happening in same toll lane irrespective of the number of trials. Those with other types of tags were not finding this issue, hence I was doubting that to be due to certain type of scanners not detecting the old tag like mine.

I been thinking of getting duplicate tag, however due to rush at Fastag centers after the same was made mandatory and also due to less number of trips due to ongoing pandemic, I been delaying getting duplicate tag.

However, last Saturday I got a call from ICICI mentioning that they will be replacing the tag since mine is an old tag and may cause issue in detection. They confirmed my address and informed that they will be sending a new tag. It was also communicated that in case of any immediate travel, they can delay shipment of new tag.

Since I was not having any plans, went ahead and got the new tag, in the meantime, they cancelled the old tag and transferred the balance to the new tag.

Received the tag in two 2 days, the same was couriered through Blue Dart in a handwritten envelope. So I suppose, its been done at branch level, if it was a centralized system, handwriting address for all may not be feasible.

Removed the old tag and placed the new tag with help of adhesive tape as earlier, to avoid issues in removal in case of windshield crack, tag turning damaged.

Check the size difference between two tags -

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-pxl_20210630_0808323622.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 30th June 2021 at 18:27.
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 18:36   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Removed the old tag and placed the new tag with help of adhesive tape as earlier.
This is a good initiative. Were there any charges for the replacement? Or was it delivered for free?

Last edited by gkveda : 30th June 2021 at 18:40.
Old 30th June 2021, 20:54   #5737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This is a good initiative. Were there any charges for the replacement?
Missed updating it earlier.

New tag and shipment was for free .
Old 1st July 2021, 09:42   #5738

Axis Fastag for my 2 cars are linked to the same wallet. One of them is not being read for the last few times. I emailed axis who asked me to get in touch with NHAI on 1033. Now this lady in the call centre after taking all the relevant details checked and asked me to call the call centre when I am at the toll plaza and my tag is not being read. I find it a bit weird and scared to be a source of anger for all the people who will be stuck behind me till I connect with the call centre and get the issue resolved.
If anyone has faced any similar issues please guide me how do I resolve it without inconveniencing my fellow drivers
Old 1st July 2021, 15:24   #5739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Removed the old tag and placed the new tag with help of adhesive tape as earlier, to avoid issues in removal in case of windshield crack, tag turning damaged.
Can you share a pic of how you have installed it using adhesive tape? Since I have also got the new type tag, I would prefer this way of installation
Old 1st July 2021, 16:23   #5740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since I have also got the new type tag, I would prefer this way of installation
Sharing the pic, however I suppose it is not possible to make out from the pic what is done.

This is what I did -

1. Take out the protective paper from the front side ( road facing side)
2. Cut Cellophane tape in small strips matching length of the tag.
3. Paste these tape on top of the tag front side - Adhesive side of tape facing adhesive side of tag. So that after this, the front side of tag is having non adhesive side of cellophane tape.
4. Cut out excess length of tape from all sides of tag
5. End result, you get a tag which almost looks like its laminated and does not have any adhesive side.
6. Place the tag at location of your choice on windshield
7. Take smaller piece of tape and paste it through backside of tag to windshield.

Pic taken from outside the car.

You can notice the horizontal lines across tag, which is the joining of different tape sections as mentioned in step 3.
You can notice vertical piece of tape at edges of tag, these are the tape as mentioned in step 7.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-pxl_20210701_0956199122.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 1st July 2021 at 16:28.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:35   #5741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old Fastag - Replacement initiated by ICICI

As mentioned here (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!), my Fastag is almost 5 years old and I was facing issues in detection in certain toll booth lanes.
Got call from ICICI today for free replacement of Fastag. I got my tag in 2016 and the executive mentioned the same, they are offering new design fastag for better and faster detection.

Appreciate the proactive response from ICICI for replacing the tags.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 23:30   #5742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share a pic of how you have installed it using adhesive tape? Since I have also got the new type tag, I would prefer this way of installation
Quote:
2. Cut Cellophane tape in small strips matching length of the tag.
3. Paste these tape on top of the tag front side - Adhesive side of tape facing adhesive side of tag. So that after this, the front side of tag is having non adhesive side of cellophane tape.
4. Cut out excess length of tape from all sides of tag
5. End result, you get a tag which almost looks like its laminated and does not have any adhesive side.
In my case, I used the waste film from the tempered glass (the one we peel off before installing the temper glass on mobile screen).

First time, it was just a coincidence that I had installed temper glass on the same day and had the film handy.

For the second car, I got few waste films from neighbourhood mobile shop for free.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 23:48   #5743
BHPian

Today I received message from my Fastag provider Kotak Bank informing me of deactivation of my account due to non usage even though account has sufficient funds.

Does Fastag provider have right deactivate account if not used even though account has sufficient funds?

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 5th July 2021 at 23:50.
Old 6th July 2021, 10:03   #5744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
In my case, I used the waste film from the tempered glass (the one we peel off before installing the temper glass on mobile screen).

First time, it was just a coincidence that I had installed temper glass on the same day and had the film handy.

For the second car, I got few waste films from neighbourhood mobile shop for free.
That's a brilliant idea! I guess this way, the tag glue will not stick permanently to the tempered glass film and it can be peeled off from the film at a later point?
Old 6th July 2021, 10:27   #5745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had mentioned this earlier. Just order non tempered glass screen protector. Stick the tag to the non adhesive side of the screen protector and then stick the screen protector to glass. It will be invisible and you can remove the tag when you want.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed