Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 16:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info Vijay,
But here, it was not only GJW, but, the "AB" portion, which normally is the series had Numeric and alpha. It was 01B, in 3 digits instead of just alphabetic 2 digits.

And, this practice of inside and outside city limits with one more alphabet is there in any other state or only in Gujarat? I haven't seen such number plates anywhere else...
Old 4th June 2009, 16:19   #62
Senior - BHPian

well it was in practise when octroi was implicated in seven cities across gujarat, thats when that extra alphabet used to come when registered outside octroi limit, but now when octroi gone i dont think this would be seen on new vehicles as i dont see new registerations with those numbers.With that alpha-numeric middle numbers may be opted for special number, dont know abt that.
Old 4th June 2009, 18:54   #63
BHPian

there is a new trend come up here in Mumbai.. people combine numbers and make it a word.

for example:

1215 become R15.. seen this on some R15s
9191 becomes DADA (in hindi)
and some more.

i don't understand why would anyone wanna do this.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
no here in Ahmedabad the series goes with GJ-1-ab(two alphabets-0000 four numbers, but if the same car is registered outside ahmedabad limit it goes like GJW-1-AB-OOOO, hope its clear.
GJ- stands for gujarat
1- stands for city, here is for ahmedabad
ab-stands for new series
0000- stands for number registered
w-stands for outside city limit registered which is address is outside of city limit.
No, I think w stands for temporary no. Fellow A'bad BHPian Nisarg86 confirmed this.
Old 4th June 2009, 23:09   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
no here in Ahmedabad the series goes with GJ-1-ab(two alphabets-0000 four numbers, but if the same car is registered outside ahmedabad limit it goes like GJW-1-AB-OOOO, hope its clear.
GJ- stands for gujarat
1- stands for city, here is for ahmedabad
ab-stands for new series
0000- stands for number registered
w-stands for outside city limit registered which is address is outside of city limit.

I have seen this series mjorly used for transport vhehicles carrying public, i.e. six seaters autos touriest vehicles ect. for vehicles registered in rajkot
Old 4th June 2009, 23:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
there is a new trend come up here in Mumbai.. people combine numbers and make it a word.

for example:

and some more.

i don't understand why would anyone wanna do this
This is a very common trend here in U.K and lots of people do have private number plates, some of them really interesting some not so. Some of these number plates can fetch obscene amount of money.
How ever on a personal level I am not a big fan of these and would not want a private number plate on any of my cars.
Old 4th June 2009, 23:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
No, I think w stands for temporary no. Fellow A'bad BHPian Nisarg86 confirmed this.
Agreed. I have it on my swift. it is GJW-1-7J-XXXX
Old 5th June 2009, 00:32   #68
BHPian

Certainly its an temp registered number.

I have seen many cars with GJW no plates.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post

for example:

and some more.

i don't understand why would anyone wanna do this.
i have seen a white accent on pune chakan road with no. 4912 which was written in such a fashion that it looked like pawar in devnagri script . & scorpios with dada mama (2121)& nana (7171) are quite comman in nearby rural areas of pune
Old 5th June 2009, 13:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
i have seen a white accent on pune chakan road with no. 4912 which was written in such a fashion that it looked like pawar in devnagri script . & scorpios with dada mama (2121)& nana (7171) are quite comman in nearby rural areas of pune
Here in Chennai you can see lot of Bosses.
Thats 8055 written in English Alphabets BOSS.. That too, They write TN-01-AA- in very small letters and the BOSS in big Letters... So you only see the BOSS from a distance..!!!! Funny guys...

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 5th June 2009 at 13:05.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Agreed. I have it on my swift. it is GJW-1-7J-XXXX
It looks like the GJW is a temporary plate. But at the first look in that particular Merc, I thought it was a permanent, because, the Number plate was so neat and probably expensive.
btw, is it not true that temporary plates shall have yellow background and red letters?? (thats how it is in TN)

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 5th June 2009 at 13:10.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
This craze belongs mostly to political background people and goons and the junk in the society who have sold of their lands to builders and earned a handsome amount of money. they directly go to the showrooms and buy safaris, scorpios & skodas especially(mostly white in color), i believe by direct cash payment. then they go to the numberplate walas and then he uses his devil brains of creativity to make those NANA, DADA, pawar, mama etc number plates.
then these junk people drive in city like crazy people beating the guts out of common people. they dont have to follow any signals nor any lanes nor any traffic rules. the police salute them and will utter " NANA ki scorio/safari hai" etc.

Recently there was a case in pune where in a Project Manager of EDS software company was travelling at night. he was stopped by the politicains fiesta and they started abusing and thrashing him. the Project manager then pulled out his licensed revolver and fired in air and near the legs of these goons. it was then these junk went off.
however the news in the papers was that the PM was arrested for firing at people who tried to stop him as he was driving rash.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Here in Chennai you can see lot of Bosses.
Thats 8055 written in English Alphabets BOSS.. That too, They write TN-01-AA- in very small letters and the BOSS in big Letters... So you only see the BOSS from a distance..!!!! Funny guys...
This BOSS thing is very common here in delhi also,I've always spotted themon Mercs ,scorpios and Safaris basically influential people).
Old 5th June 2009, 14:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

8055 as BOSS is a common thing in chennai. Nowadays even 6055 is written as boss
Old 5th June 2009, 16:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
btw, is it not true that temporary plates shall have yellow background and red letters?? (thats how it is in TN)
I thinks that's true about the test cars... Temp Numbers are like normal numbers...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks