Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 16:30   #1006
Senior - BHPian

This is sad but true!

Another example is private companies and establishments, many of the buildings are at busy roads and for the people who want to visit them no parking so the people just park whereever they want..

some of the best examples Airtel/Vodafone etc and Banks Atm's.

So this is a huge issue and i think a pretty complex one. i dont think this will improve anyday!

btw this will be same with any indian city which gets on to the development mode!

Until people change there attitude this issue cant be fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
If you are irritated by residents encroaching into footpaths to keep their vehicles, come to my locality - here people painted the whole public road with whatever paints they had to mark pieces of the road as their own. Some people went ahead to the extent of writing "RESERVED" on some stretches of this road that was built using taxpayers' money. These people are not illiterates - they are very much educated and established in their life - the utter disrespect to the laws of our land is in our DNA, there is no escape from it. When I confronted a person who marked RESERVED in a section of this public road, his response was - "I also pay tax. Don't teach me what rights I have. If you like, you can also take some part of the road, but don't mess with me". The same people may be breaking 100 civic/traffic norms everyday and the same people may be cursing others (bikers, autos and everybody else) for creating all sorts of trouble.
Old 12th October 2009, 05:39   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
If you are irritated by residents encroaching into footpaths to keep their vehicles, come to my locality - here people painted the whole public road with whatever paints they had to mark pieces of the road as their own. Some people went ahead to the extent of writing "RESERVED" on some stretches of this road that was built using taxpayers' money. These people are not illiterates - they are very much educated and established in their life - the utter disrespect to the laws of our land is in our DNA, there is no escape from it. When I confronted a person who marked RESERVED in a section of this public road, his response was - "I also pay tax. Don't teach me what rights I have. If you like, you can also take some part of the road, but don't mess with me". The same people may be breaking 100 civic/traffic norms everyday and the same people may be cursing others (bikers, autos and everybody else) for creating all sorts of trouble.
You are absolutely right.

A big house in Malleswaram. Banks, Clinics,Travel agents etc around that area. Have lots of parking space along the compound wall for public parking. But the owners of the building won't allow anyone to park there even though he area is empty. Reason, they have more cars than the parking space in their own garrage so road reserved for their parking. Had seen other drivers also having frequent verbal battle with them.
Old 12th October 2009, 06:07   #1008
BHPian

A newspeed reaker

On a lighter note:-
See the attached Pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sathish432.jpg  

Old 12th October 2009, 07:49   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
On a lighter note:-
See the attached Pic.
We have encroached on vegetation as well.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:52   #1010
BHPian

In India, many people believe that the public properties in front/side/back of their private property are actually theirs. This "assumed" ownership is only on Rights basis and not on Responsibility basis - meaning that they have the rights to exclusively use the public area but when it comes to keeping it clean and well-maintained, it is not their responsibility. From throwing house-hold garbage to marking RESERVED parking slot, the public properties are exploited to the maximum by most of us. You may see this syndrome even within apartment complexes, where if opportunity exists, people go and abuse public areas for private (exclusive) gain.

I have come across several situations where the owner of a house didn't allow others to park around their house. To avoid verbal battle, some house owners take their car from their private garage and park in the public area early in the morning just to block others to park. In some caes, parked vehicles are intentionally damaged (mostly flattening the tyre) to punish the "offenders". In my area, people resorted to crude measures like putting large stones all over the place so that "outsiders" can't park. The "outsiders" are also smart - they push the stones to the middle of the road or in front of our parking entry/exit to make way for their parking and to punish us in return. No if I call ourselves monkey, am I too wrong ?
Old 12th October 2009, 11:58   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Is there an autostrike as reported in the papers ? I came in very early in the morning so could not make out except for some auto guys starting to make a line and looking anxious.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:13   #1012
BHPian

An auto strike is going on today at Bangalore. When I hit the road, it was raining heavily, so 2-wheelers were out as well. So, I got to see a road without autos and bikers - the primary target for most of us when it comes to traffic violations. So, the question is, did I see less chaos on the road. My answer is NO. Less traffic - yes, but less chaos (normalized to traffic volume) - no.
People continued with lane indiscipline, zig-zag driving, accelerating on Yellow light, unnecessary honking and most other usual road-rituals. Signal jumping was not noticed - possibly because the catalysts (bikers) were missing.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:34   #1013
Team-BHP Support

Kundanahalli junction, Saturday evening, 9:30PM

I am waiting along with a lot of other vehicles at the signal which is showing red to traffic from Brookfields. The light is green for traffic coming from Varthur.

Guy on a Pulsar standing in front of us probably decides he needs to empty his bowels at the earliest, and takes off from the signal, without even looking whether there is any traffic coming from the Varthur side. As he gets onto the main road, a Indicab which was gunning down from the Varthur side nearly misses him by inches, all thanks to the biker guy swerving.

It could have been fatal, all because the guy was short of patience.

10 seconds later, the lights turned green, and the rest of us who waited patiently carried along our way, without risking our lives or of others on the road.

Wonder how much time the biker guy gained with this stunt!
Old 12th October 2009, 13:50   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guy on a Pulsar standing in front of us probably decides he needs to empty his bowels at the earliest, and takes off from the signal, without even looking whether there is any traffic coming from the Varthur side.
Sh*t that is the funniest thing I have heard since morning.
Man you made my day. I don't know how I look, laughing away at the monitor.
Jokes apart, the pulsar guy probably dropped his brains at the previous signal or before leaving home.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 12th October 2009 at 13:52.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:54   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
An auto strike is going on today at Bangalore.
Usually my drive to office takes around 45 mins.. Today reached office in record time of 30 mins.. was wondering how is it possible, later realized that there were no autos to be seen on road. Wish every day traffic was like it is today
Old 12th October 2009, 14:57   #1016
BHPian

A Chance to Give our Feedback

Saw this in the paper:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-mv.jpg  

Last edited by Tempelhof : 12th October 2009 at 15:00.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:59   #1017
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Saw this in the paper:
AWESOME!!

Who qualifies to send emails to them? Ordinary citizens too?

Good step. Hope we see much better rules.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:03   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Who qualifies to send emails to them? Ordinary citizens too?
I guess anyone can send.

Note that the last date is 15th October.

Is it possible for Team-BHP to make a combined representation? Mods?
Old 12th October 2009, 15:49   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Should you be a Einstein:
  • to shift bus stops from corners? - I agree. I think they have started doing this. Example: Indiranagar 80 feet Road , Bus Stop was just near the turning , now has been moved a few feet down the road.
  • to add more roads to and from EPIP? - To add more roads there should be more space. But I partially agree with you on this.
  • to enforce No Parking? - No Parking Where ?
  • to prevent private buses from running inside the city? - Private Buses do not travel inside the City to ferry passengers.They are allowed only on the arterial roads.
  • to prevent taxis from ferrying non-Company people thereby losing revenue for KSRTC? - KSRTC is the ONLY public transport corporation in the whole of India which makes a profit , so I doubt a small percentage of cab-drivers taking a few folks to a particular destination is not going to cause them too much pain.I am actually for Cab-Drivers ferrying passengers to and fro.
  • to enforce lane discipline? - As difficult as anywhere else in India
  • to pave roads in such a way that rainwater is drained? - Yup , Should be done all over India , not just Bangalore. Think Mumbai and Chennai gets more flooded than Bangalore. Actually , not think , know , Chennai and Mumbai gets more flooded than Bangalore.
This evening in Hoodi I saw a Maruti with a broken registration plate with just KA in it !!

And you still want me to believe that we have "Police" and "Authority" in Bangalore !!
My Opinions in Bold above.

Broken number plates exist all over India , So I am not sure how that relates to "Police" and "Authourity" only in Bangalore.

You want to see real disrespect for the Police , go to Hyderabad ( No Offense meant , just an observation)
Old 12th October 2009, 15:52   #1020
BANNED

Quote:
Is it possible for Team-BHP to make a combined representation? Mods?
This is a good idea. But we have very little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
You want to see real disrespect for the Police , go to Hyderabad ( No Offense meant , just an observation)
So Bangalore Traffic Police is better?

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th October 2009 at 15:54.

Most Viewed