Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 10:11   #1141
BHPian

Saw an accident yesterday evening.

This happened right infront of vivekananda college on the road which leads towards yeshwantpur.
I was headed in the opposite direction towards navrang.

It had rained and stopped. The road was wet.
Some guy who was riding his kinetic scooter went over the road hump in quite a bit of speed and he lost his balance and fell on the road.
It seemed like a pretty nasty skid.

Just after this incident, 2 bikes passed by him but none of them bothered to check on the guy who fell. They just passed around him and left.
On the opposite side of the road there were few folks in the bus stop who ran to help him.

Its not that there was too much traffic on the road. The road was quite empty. I don't understand what is the hurry to get somewhere.
Atleast when the roads are wet why don't they drive cautiously.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:34   #1142
BANNED

On my way to office. Volvo Bus. I see this maniac on a bike honking to glory to let him pass from the left hand side. In an AC bus, I am not too sure the driver can hear the feeble squeaks of his horn. But anyways our man continues doing so for almost 500 odd meters. Then overtakes gestures to the driver and rides off. We come to Kodihalli and see our maniac has parked the bike and is buying cigrattes at a small store.

LOL. Brainless idiot.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:46   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
It had rained and stopped. The road was wet.
Some guy who was riding his kinetic scooter went over the road hump in quite a bit of speed and he lost his balance and fell on the road.
It seemed like a pretty nasty skid.
Could be possible that the person on the scooter didnt know this bump existed? As it is, none of the speed breakers are marked anyway. You realize there is one only inches away from it, and then its too late. Else, you need to be a regular on that road.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:26   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Could be possible that the person on the scooter didnt know this bump existed? As it is, none of the speed breakers are marked anyway. You realize there is one only inches away from it, and then its too late. Else, you need to be a regular on that road.
This place what I am talking about is very well lit and the bumper can be seen quite easily. There are 2 humps with a gap of about 200 meters.
This guy fell off after the second hump. From his riding style it was quite obvious that he was zooming as the road was empty.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:44   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
This place what I am talking about is very well lit and the bumper can be seen quite easily. There are 2 humps with a gap of about 200 meters.
This guy fell off after the second hump. From his riding style it was quite obvious that he was zooming as the road was empty.
I am not defending him, just the benefit of doubt. If he knew about the bump, and was still riding fast following a downpur, he was riding his luck, and it spilled over.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:03   #1146
BHPian

What's the diff?

I've been noticing these new speed limit signs throughout the ORR. Most places the speed limits are 40Kmph for bikes and 50 for cars (at few places, these are 50 and 60 respectively). I see more than 90% of the users voilating these rules. Who will drive at 40 on such roads unless there is a traffic jam or something? I think the whole purpose of having a "Ring Road" is defeated. But now there is a more reasosn for police to catch you and collect the fines (or something else).

While at this - I can't understand the logic between different speed limits between cars, bike or other vehicles. I tried to think - is it because the risk/danger these vehicle cause to road users? their ability to control the speeds (breaking distance)? the money spent by their respective owners on these vehicles? the space they occupy on the road? the volume of their horns? - just can't understand the funda behind this...

Drive safe and have fun!
-K
Old 27th November 2009, 21:28   #1147
BHPian

Kishoryk - in the event of an accident bike riders are more vulnerable than occupants of a car. That's all I can logically guess behind this 'intelligent' concept. What is conveniently forgotten is not just one's speed alone determines one's chances of getting into an accident and / or getting injured; the speed of the other road uses also have a significant impact on one's safety. A car driven as 50 KMPH has a better chance to contribute to an accident than one driven at 40 KMPH (other parameters remaining the same!). But then, if our road planners are this logical will our roads and discipline there be the way they are?
Don't ask me what the speed limit of road rollers be set at, by that logic!
Old 1st December 2009, 04:59   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Pls see attached clipping from DH dated 30-11-09. Make your own judgement as to what has happened and who is guilty.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-scan0004.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 13:01   #1149
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Some nut case riding on the footpath collided with another bike taking a legit turn into the office premises. Oh yes, the guy was s/w engg with a reputed company badge hanging from his belt.
I wonder what was going through this imbicle's head! This morning, a 2 wheeler brushed my bumper trying to get off a footpath on the roa leading from Mekhri circle to Windsor Manor bridge, the parking sticker on the back of the bike belonged to a MNC. When will these idiots learn?
Old 1st December 2009, 21:12   #1150
Senior - BHPian

^^People need to be taught the value of "Leaving early and reaching safely" in their schools.
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:30   #1151
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^People need to be taught the value of "Leaving early and reaching safely" in their schools.
You have hit the nail on the head! Enroute to work last Wednesday morning I noticed a 2-wheeler in a BIG hurry. The guy had his wife in tow as a pillion. There are a series of humps about 100 metres apart inside the Airforce campus that we pass through and this guy was riding really fast over them. He cleared the first, second and even the third which inspired him to push even faster for the fourth.

As he took the fourth hump at speed, his wife sitting behind him who was not holding onto anything apart from her mobile phone got thrown off the bike and landed flat on the road. The guy didn't even realize that she's fallen off and continued to ride on till a few people started yelling. Thankfully, the lady was not badly hurt apart from a few bad bruises to her face and chin and a dislocated elbow.

A few people stopped and offered to take her to Ramaiah hospital but the husband insisted that she sit on the bike. As she was in pain a few auto drivers put her into an auto and took her to hospital.

This incident makes me wonder why can't people leave early, ride/drive at ease and reach their destination safely than push hard after leaving late.
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:47   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Now there is a problem in the statement "people need to leave early......" IMO nowadays everyoe are thinking that leaving early will make them to cut the traffic. But they are not the ony one thinking like this. So what happens literally is that everyone are on the road by 7.30am itself and the traffic starts from that time itself. This is the state now. I have heard so many telling that they will leave early but are caught in the traffic early morning itself. I have many times seen that the main peak hour traffic roads are almost empty after 10.00-11am. Evenig also it is the same story. Everyone leave at around 4/5pm to aviod traffic but for their bad luck it will be paek during that time itself and reduces at around 8PM
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:29   #1153
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Now there is a problem in the statement "people need to leave early......"
I understand what you are pointing at. IMO, leaving early is leaving at 8.45 am if you have an appointment 15-20 kms across town at 10.00 am. This is to ensure that one has sufficient time to cover the distance without being under pressure. What most people do is leave after 9.00 am and rush to make the 10.00 am appointment on time!
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:00   #1154
BHPian

I leave early and so do a whole lot of brainless drivers.

My observations are traffic cops and wardens missing on the road at 7:25 AM (dont know what time they start work), signals do operate but people have no respect and just sail through, this generally creates a chaos on unmanned signals and leads to traffic jams.

Last 2 weeks I have experienced jams at Agaraha junction, company buses and school buses try to wriggle between the pillars of the flyover and create a major jam.

I take 15 minutes to reach Koramangala from HSR and from Koramangala to Sarjapur about 30 minutes I think the timings are better than peak hours but this can be much better by disciplined driving.
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:37   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
What happens on the way to school? Have you seen hurrying parents violating all safety norms to drop their offsprings at the school gate in time? They take so many chances, putting the kid's life at risk. We need to undo that in a lesson at school first

Kousik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks