Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2014, 16:29   #7201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
If everyone carpooled, 4 cars cars can be converted into a single car. I grin at the prospect of having 1000 cars reduced to 250 cars.
If every two wheeler fill the vacant seat behind, then we have potential to cut no. of two wheeler traffic in half .
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
All directions are free for all (except poor pedestrians, if any).
I was there around 2 hours back. I saw all signals turn red for 10~15 seconds for pedestrians to cross. If only vehicles stop in those seconds ...
Quote:
All said and done, this has the potential to be a game changer or a disaster - it is now all up to the hen-pecked BTP.
So what we have? 3 lane traffic from Brookefield side & 3 lane traffic from Hoodi side trying get into 2 lane EPIP road. Adding to this 6 lane merging into 2 lanes phenomenon is the broken roads, which vehicles take at their own pace while the traffic builds up.
Old 23rd November 2014, 17:25   #7202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45246234.cms

SC approves widening of Bellary road

As per the master plan prepared, road between BDA junction to Mekhri circle and Cantonment Railway station to Mekhri circle (Jayamahal Road) will be taken up for road widening.
Though widening of road is a good news, but at the expense of 850 well grown trees??? Is there a plan to compensate the environmental damage that is being done?
Old 23rd November 2014, 17:42   #7203
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
At least i do not travel in car if were to go alone. I any day prefer a two wheeler.

To over come this issue, I feel car pooling, using a two wheeler, better public transport facilities are the way out.
I can no longer use a Two wheeler because of the horrible pollution and respiratory issues. I also do not want to suffer in the heavy rains here on a 2 wheeler, which becomes fair game for every maniac on the roads.

I agree about Car Pooling, but we are innately so very selfish as humans, that we just don't seem able to create that efficiency within a small group of people because every one has different priorities!

I would love to use the Volvo buses, but it is very uncomfortable for me, because there are no stops close by to my home. The walk to the nearest stop is daunting because there is no pavement and I don't like the disrespect accorded to pedestrians, by our average motorists!

Its a No Win situation here in Bangalore in the suburbs for sure!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:19   #7204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If every two wheeler fill the vacant seat behind, then we have potential to cut no. of two wheeler traffic in half .
Yes. I implied that but didn't stress on it too much. My bad.

And well, tomorrow is D-Day! A few days need to go by for people to understand the new changes. Hope it helps.
Old 24th November 2014, 08:04   #7205
BHPian

Graphite India signal was easier than normal days and I was expecting a chaos. I took the usual ring road and the railways crossing, took right towards the Keys hotel and proceeded towards Graphite India.

So if you are coming from the Keys Hotel side, there is no straight towards Kundalahalli, its a compulsory left turn towards SAP and then take U turn near the petrol Bunk.

What a stupid idea it is. I am expecting a huge jam because of the U turn. People coming from SAP towards Graphite India, there is no right turn towards Keys hotel, its a compulsory left towards Kundalahalli

Regards
Old 24th November 2014, 08:22   #7206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
......So if you are coming from the Keys Hotel side, there is no straight towards Kundalahalli, its a compulsory left turn towards SAP and then take U turn near the petrol Bunk.

What a stupid idea it is. I am expecting a huge jam because of the U turn....
Regards
There's no U-turn there. Some stupid drivers are taking a U-turn. Actual route is to go all the way to Vydehi hospital and take a U-turn to go towards Kundanahalli.
Old 24th November 2014, 08:41   #7207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Graphite India signal was easier than normal days and I was expecting a chaos.
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
There's no U-turn there. Some stupid drivers are taking a U-turn. Actual route is to go all the way to Vydehi hospital and take a U-turn to go towards Kundanahalli.
Agreed. Just reached office, and it was a lot easier than a normal Mad Monday. Consequently, there are a lot of people waiting to take U-turn at places where it's usually empty.

Question: Just saw a No Right Turn Board before RXDX Hospital - my brother usually takes the U Turn here - Is the U Turn allowed? No indication can that U Turn was prohibited according to either the map or the instructions.

PS: Just got a word that Big Bazaar Signal is choked till Sai Hospital. So there you go - the place of the jam is shifted. We should however still give it a couple of days to pass the verdict on the new arrangements.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 24th November 2014 at 08:48.
Old 24th November 2014, 08:52   #7208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Question: Just saw a No Right Turn Board before RXDX Hospital - my brother usually takes the U Turn here - Is the U Turn allowed? No indication can that U Turn was prohibited according to either the map or the instructions.
True, no word on that yet. But I guess it will be blocked soon. Otherwise all office cabs/tempos/buses will try that one. The U-turn near Hanuman temple could be the possible one as the road is slightly wider there. But not sure. We have to wait and see.

I guess BTP themselves have no clue. It's still kind of dry-run, when it comes to uncertainties and we can expect small changes here and there as things proceed.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:01   #7209
BHPian

Quote:
True, no word on that yet. But I guess it will be blocked soon. Otherwise all office cabs/tempos/buses will try that one. The U-turn near Hanuman temple could be the possible one as the road is slightly wider there. But not sure. We have to wait and see.

I guess BTP themselves have no clue. It's still kind of dry-run, when it comes to uncertainties and we can expect small changes here and there as things proceed.
U Turn allowed 'only" at ginger hotel. At all other places Traffic police has blocked the locations. With proper notices. As per the employees who arrived just now !

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 24th November 2014 at 09:04.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:07   #7210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
On weekdays if you notice, most of the cars will have just one occupant in the car and that is none other than the driver of the car.

No offence meant to any one. But what will improve, if you keep complaining about the traffic jams!!!.

At least i do not travel in car if were to go alone. I any day prefer a two wheeler.

To over come this issue, I feel car pooling, using a two wheeler, better public transport facilities are the way out.
No offence taken, I am one of the guys who drives everyday to work, alone.

Carpooling is a good idea - has always been a good idea but our fellow Indians are hardly if ever punctual. Our office timings are what you call -flexible. And car pooling with a stranger - Bad Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I completely agree with this.

Even motorbikes, I find almost everyone(including myself) travelling alone when there is space for another person.
Lets hear some reasons why even though I have a bike (I love my bike) but I do not ride it I almost always take my car:
1. Pathetic Public Transport - so either the bike or the car
2. Pollution on the bike
3. The ever lurking fear of being run over or sideswapped or pushed over by a lunatic (and there are plenty)
4. Cost of fuel of the bike (Enfield) is almost equal to the daily run of the car (No money saved)

So yes, I do agree, cars take up more space, pollute more, create more jams - but do you really have an alternative to it in Bangalore - Nope, none. The day there is a decent Metro line operational near my office I will start using it, but till then, I would rather live with the traffic than put myself at risk of being run over on my bike.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:21   #7211
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

More updates for whitefielders with the new changes in effect..
Took the Old Madras Road-Devasadra-Hoodi route, there was no traffic bottleneck at the Hoodi Signal and there were 3 cops manning the junction, all was well. Good thing was cops were not allowing left turn on "Red" as this had become common
The gaps in median exist:
1. in front of the Bharat Petroleum bunk near Zuri so those who need to get to Devasandra on the way back can take this, go via the back roads and join near the railway overbridge
2. in front of Prestige Shantiniketan (apartments) gate #1 and gate #2 (corporate/commercial) so U-turns are still allowed at these places.

Quote:
So yes, I do agree, cars take up more space, pollute more, create more jams - but do you really have an alternative to it in Bangalore - Nope, none. The day there is a decent Metro line operational near my office I will start using it, but till then, I would rather live with the traffic than put myself at risk of being run over on my bike.
If you work in the ITPL area, there is an option of using the train - Yes, several people use this option, but still not very common!

You can take the trains from City Railway Station/Byappanahalli or K R Puram depending on which one is closer. On some trains, there are even request stops at Mahadevapura (people working near the Brigade complex/HP office use this stop) and behind Prestige Shantiniketan. One can also go up to Whitefield station and take a bus (Volvo too!) to ITPL.

Last edited by NPV : 24th November 2014 at 09:30.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:24   #7212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
So what we have? 3 lane traffic from Brookefield side & 3 lane traffic from Hoodi side trying get into 2 lane EPIP road. Adding to this 6 lane merging into 2 lanes phenomenon is the broken roads, which vehicles take at their own pace while the traffic builds up.
I was wrong. There is no free right turn. Signals alternate between left turn from Hoodi and right turn from Brookefield.
Old 24th November 2014, 09:30   #7213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. Just reached office, and it was a lot easier than a normal Mad Monday. Consequently, there are a lot of people waiting to take U-turn at places where it's usually empty.

PS: Just got a word that Big Bazaar Signal is choked till Sai Hospital. So there you go - the place of the jam is shifted. We should however still give it a couple of days to pass the verdict on the new arrangements.
Yes, I came to ITPL by the BMTC chartered ITPL bus. Big bazaar has a BIIIIIIIg jam all the way till Sathya Sai Hospital.

Quote:
Before joining my new company in bangalore, I was in Chennai. Firstly i moved to bangalore in Feb 2011 and stayed in my parents house in Malleswaram. My wife and kid were in chennai as he was going to school there. I had plans to bring them in May 2011.
The very second day of joining office in ITPL, i started to commute by train. It was very simple. First took a bus from malleswaram to Majestic and then boarded chennai express that departs from bangalore at 8 AM.
This train stops at whitefield and reaches there by 8:45 AM.
Then after crossing the tracks used to board 335E (volvo) to get down at ITPL. I used to be in my seat in office by 9 AM on an average
For the return trip, I used to leave office by 6:30 AM and reach whitefield station. The same chennai express used to come to whitefield by 7:10 PM (scheduled arrival is 7 PM) and reach city station by 8 AM.
The return journey was sometimes delayed due to non availability of platforms. Then i used to board a bus back to malleswaram. I followed this schedule for 3 months before shifting to koramangala.
Trust me it is lot easier commuting by train.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th November 2014 at 10:18. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:40   #7214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actual route is to go all the way to Vydehi hospital and take a U-turn to go towards Kundanahalli.
Quote:
Question: Just saw a No Right Turn Board before RXDX Hospital
So, now what is the point of having RxDx Hospital there if you cannot reach it without taking long detours? :-) I suppose with Vydehi on one side and Brookefield on the other, RxDx should simply shut shop.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:45   #7215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you work in the ITPL area, there is an option of using the train - Yes, several people use this option, but still not very common!

You can take the trains from City Railway Station/Byappanahalli or K R Puram depending on which one is closer.
I know about this - Would have taken it - unfortunately does not work for me. I live near Langford Town (close to City Railway Station) but work near Graphite India. But if someone who works near ITPL it is really good.

PS:

@Binand

I saw some cops stationed there but were allowing vehicles to take a U Turn.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 24th November 2014 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks