Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 13:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Been looking at the dyno jet test of the Street 750 on the cycleworld website. I was surprised that this Harley actually showed a 0-60MPH in 4.6 secs!!! That would just floor the 883 sportsters.
It would be good to see a comparo report of the 750 with the Bonneville.
Would like a Ninja 650 to be included in the above as well. As the only other bike in the same budget available to Indians today (if you discount the Hyosung).

I rode a Ninja 650 yesterday for about 20 kilometers of city roads, with early afternoon Sunday traffic - on University Road, so as a Puneite you get the picture. Loved it a lot more than the new 650 of a friend I rode recently.

I know the two 650s are tuned differently. Do the old 650s have more early grunt than the new ones? Definitely felt so ......

I just don't like the whole deal of the fixed fairing and windscreen and bat-ear mirrors and console out in front (with daylight visible in between). That somehow detaches me from the road and the "flow" of the ride .....
Old 19th May 2014, 15:19   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
buddy did you book your bike yet? HD banjara here told me that i can get the stock 2x2 iron's exhaust for the street without voiding warranty, but i doubt that, really confused here!!!
I booked the bike in early March with a Mid-Sep delivery promise. Haven't bothered finding out the status or numbers as I don't need the bike right through the heat and rains. However, I really do need some accessories (HD & aftermarket) but this whole warranty going void is a bit troublesome.

The question is: (for example) If I hack an Avenger back rest here, will I loose the warrant? What happens if I install an aftermarket HID?

What do some other HOGs have to say about this? Have you ever been caught in this mess?
Old 19th May 2014, 15:34   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
I booked the bike in early March with a Mid-Sep delivery promise. Haven't bothered finding out the status or numbers as I don't need the bike right through the heat and rains. However, I really do need some accessories (HD & aftermarket) but this whole warranty going void is a bit troublesome.

The question is: (for example) If I hack an Avenger back rest here, will I loose the warrant? What happens if I install an aftermarket HID?

What do some other HOGs have to say about this? Have you ever been caught in this mess?
I don't think you'd lose out on any warranty for external fittings. The only thing is, they (HD) won't fit it for you.

HID - If you are going with a HD product, your warranty is intact. Any external fittings void your warranty on that particular system.

For example: If you go for after market HID, warranty on your electrical system is void. Engine/gear train warranty should not be affected. (unless I am mistaken)
Old 21st May 2014, 13:30   #154
BHPian

My friend just picked up a Street 750. I took a photo of the user guide and I thought that it was interesting how the details of the Street 500 are already available and printed.

There seem to be no differences in the weight, dimensions , etc. between the 2 bikes. Not sure why the weight will remain the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-photo0344.jpg  

Old 21st May 2014, 14:15   #155
BHPian

I don't think the weight depends on the displacement when the engine is the same. If you get your iron upgraded to 1200cc there should be a marginal change I think. I may be wrong, but any comments Shubz
Old 21st May 2014, 14:43   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the weight depends on the displacement when the engine is the same. If you get your iron upgraded to 1200cc there should be a marginal change I think. I may be wrong, but any comments Shubz
Iron 883 is an over engineered bike. You can just flip over to 1250 kit in a flash! and there will be no drastic change in overall weight.

for that matter, iron 883 and 48 weigh in almost the same. ~ 260 kilos.
Old 21st May 2014, 15:31   #157
BHPian

Still no ownership reviews. The wait is getting to me.
Meanwhile went and checked out the Bonneville and also read the review about the Black Bruiser in Hyderabad. But the price difference between the 750 and the Bonneville is so high, it can't be ignored at all.

Doc, what would you have bought, considering the following:

1. ownership costs
2. service/parts availability
3. mainly to be used for long-distance, two-up touring
4. which one would be easier to maintain in the foreseeable future?
5. Are Triumph gonna bring down the prices after localization?

If the Street is not really meant for two-up riding, does it make sense to plonk some extra money on the Bonnie?
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:34   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Still no ownership reviews. The wait is getting to me.
Meanwhile went and checked out the Bonneville and also read the review about the Black Bruiser in Hyderabad. But the price difference between the 750 and the Bonneville is so high, it can't be ignored at all.

Doc, what would you have bought, considering the following:

1. ownership costs
2. service/parts availability
3. mainly to be used for long-distance, two-up touring
4. which one would be easier to maintain in the foreseeable future?
5. Are Triumph gonna bring down the prices after localization?

If the Street is not really meant for two-up riding, does it make sense to plonk some extra money on the Bonnie?
Yeah man, even I am wondering the same. Waiting for some reassuring ownership reviews. Why do you say its not for 2 up touring, i think it says max weight to be added around 180 or something.

These are the reasons sometimes I'm tempted to get an iron883 instead and get over with all these dilemmas, but then the $$$ stops me. Really hoping the street 750 to be the answer. The waiting game continues...
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:02   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah man, even I am wondering the same. Waiting for some reassuring ownership reviews. Why do you say its not for 2 up touring, i think it says max weight to be added around 180 or something.

These are the reasons sometimes I'm tempted to get an iron883 instead and get over with all these dilemmas, but then the $$$ stops me. Really hoping the street 750 to be the answer. The waiting game continues...
Me thinks - with a backrest, 2-up touring should not be an issue.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:07   #160
BHPian

Well, we have some weighty issues here. Two of us plus luggage will be touching the redline of 180 kgs max, so was wondering if we should go for a Bonnie. The bullet could pull us pretty well at about 80-90 kph all day, but the HD being much lower, am a little worried about two things:

the bike's suspension giving up on us (ground clearance lowering)
the braking being even more ineffective

We are working towards reducing our weight, but that's another issue altogether. A Bonnie is a proven tourer, about 1.85 L extra on road, with much superior stopping power than the 750. It is also a little higher than the HD (but lower than a bullet). There's ample real estate for generous posteriors, hence it is more comfortable. Wouldn't it be nice if someone did an objective comparison without taking sides? After having ridden both, I would want to go for the Bonnie.

Had it not been for the price difference and also the practicality of owning a Triumph, who have a much smaller presence in India than Harley, my opinion wouldn't be divided at all...not that I don't love the Street...it is amazing to ride too.

We will have to wait for some t-bhp guys to post their reviews.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had it not been for the price difference and also the practicality of owning a Triumph, who have a much smaller presence in India

We will have to wait for some t-bhp guys to post their reviews.
Since you've asked

Oreen, I have owned my Bonney since 2009 February and after leaving the dealers's place (in Doha Qatar) at the time of delivery, the first time ever it went back to a dealers place wasn in May 2014, in Bangalore, when I took her in for a service.

It has done 24 K kilometers in the meanwhile without any dealer support of any nature (since last one year she is in India and with the hassels of registration etc, did only less than 1 K otherwise would have crossed 30 K at least by now).

So you please concentrate on the other factors to decide what you want.

Again about smaller presence - 6 dealers opened and working in 6 months and at least 6 more in pipe line this year itself not good enough - over 40 bikes sold in Bangalore alone in 5 months of this year and over 50% are Bonnevilles.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd May 2014 at 14:39.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:05   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Price difference is approximately 1.5 lakhs after you pay the mandatory Harley tax and thats not too high a price considering you get the following :-

1. Much higher overall quality of bike
2. Absolutely powerful braking system
3. Superb handling capabilities

Btw, that Black Bruiser in Hyderabad is my bike.......

Quote:
Yeah man, even I am wondering the same. Waiting for some reassuring ownership reviews. Why do you say its not for 2 up touring, i think it says max weight to be added around 180 or something
Quote:
Couple of days ago and during one of those rare days, I was riding my bullet to work and for first time ever laid my eyes on a HD Street 750 in person.

It was being ridden by a guy with personality similar to mine. Tall and on heavier side

I followed him for about 5-8kms out of curiosity and i have to admit the bike gave me a mild shock
  • Dimensions looked really small and looked a bit comic
  • At the cost of repeating, cost cutting was glaringly evident
  • Belt drive with no cover on left side of bike looked shoddy
  • It was purring like a mellowed down cat and no trademark HD soundtrack
With regards to two-up riding. I doubt if pillion would be comfortable even in city, forget about highway rides as pillion seat is almost non-existent (especially if a big guy is sitting at front)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Me thinks - with a backrest, 2-up touring should not be an issue.
Shubz, I doubt it really. Have you seen the bike in person? Rear seat is almost non-existent.

Either pillion has to be size of a child or rider has to move really front to make the pillion comfortable. Either ways, I personally dont think the rear seat really makes sense for long rides

Quote:
We are working towards reducing our weight, but that's another issue altogether. A Bonnie is a proven tourer, about 1.85 L extra on road, with much superior stopping power than the 750. It is also a little higher than the HD (but lower than a bullet). There's ample real estate for generous posteriors, hence it is more comfortable. Wouldn't it be nice if someone did an objective comparison without taking sides? After having ridden both, I would want to go for the Bonnie.
Not sure if you read my ownership thread. I have ridden the Bonnie from Hyderabad-Bangalore-Hyderabad and ride was extremely comfortable so touring on a Bonnie is not an issue but, would be a pleasure

Have you test ridden the HD 750 and Bonnie? Would like to see comparison viewpoint on these two bikes. Would be interesting read for many folks with same dilemma

Quote:
Had it not been for the price difference and also the practicality of owning a Triumph, who have a much smaller presence in India than Harley, my opinion wouldn't be divided at all..
I have done 3500kms in 3 months. Service costs will be approximately INR 6,500 for every 10,000kms. Except this cost, there will be no other cost (hopefully) as Bonnie is globally renowned to be a very reliable bike. And,

Trust me, Triumph is here to stay !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd May 2014 at 15:08.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:12   #163
Senior - BHPian

More than what Ram and Avi have to say as owners, as a neutral with no hat in the ring either way, from what Ram told me about the top speed achievable on the Bonnie, I was seriously shocked. Not as much shocked as forced into a paradigm shift in terms of how I saw the Bonnie. I think I can safely stay within the rules here and say it was a good 20-30 kmph more than what I had as an extimate. That bike has serious go. The 1.5 lacs extra you pay is peanuts if performance and bike is more important to you than the peripherals that surround it which is more Harley's forte than Triumph's.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd May 2014 at 15:14.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:26   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
More than what Ram and Avi have to say as owners, as a neutral with no hat in the ring either way, from what Ram told me about the top speed achievable on the Bonnie, I was seriously shocked. Not as much shocked as forced into a paradigm shift in terms of how I saw the Bonnie. I think I can safely stay within the rules here and say it was a good 20-30 kmph more than what I had as an extimate. That bike has serious go. The 1.5 lacs extra you pay is peanuts if performance and bike is more important to you than the peripherals that surround it which is more Harley's forte than Triumph's.
Doc,

Well, if your able to get past its supposedly plain looks, it shocked me as well.

When we rode it to Bangalore and back the bike felt practically like a 4 wheeler on 2 wheels. Those 1200kms trip alone has earned my respect by a few notches just by the way it flew in and out of bangalore like a low flying ground missile

Dynamics similar to a 4-wheeler. Planted at high speeds, zero vibrations, braking at highway speeds is guaranteed to blow you away

It reaches and most importantly "stays" at higher speeds for long times as if those speeds are in range of 80kmph-100kmph

They have come to Pune now. Why dont you take a long spin on a Bonnie and check it out for yourself
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:38   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
[*]Dimensions looked really small and looked a bit comic[*]At the cost of repeating, cost cutting was glaringly evident
!!!
Was it more comic than bonnies look for 7 odd.lac?
Was the cost cutting more than employing plastic fenders , sidecovers , cheap cycle parts and open loop fi?

Street 750 is a very nice everyday bike and anyone wanting to upgrade from bullet will love it.

I think brakes will improve a lot as they bed in during run in period , else high performance pads will be available shortly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks