Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 11:57   #121
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)

Is there any updates on the Ducati Bangalore showroom? as per some, it was to be opened by the end of may.

Quote:
On the test rides:
Scrambler
-Has a fresh appeal especially that single pod instrument console
-Very torquey motor which is a hoot to ride in Mumbai traffic. Pulls really well through the gears
-Can amble around in the city at low speeds in higher gears. Experienced a little bit of lugging in 2nd gear but pulls cleanly afterwards when taking off from speed breakers
-Does get hot especially near the right ankle which rests beside the exhaust
-Nice ride quality. Much better than my Duke 390
-Really light and progressive clutch action again much better that my 390
-Decent brakes too with ABS
-Yellow icon readily available. Around INR 8 lacs on road Mumbai
Thanks for the test ride update.
The fact that u ride a 390, Would like to know your viewopoint on how different/similar is scrambler to 390? the power, handling, weight, ergonomics, braking, etc. ofcourse i am not trying to compare the two. What i want to understand is that will it make sense to have the scrambler and 390 in the same garage? My gut feel is that scrambler may not be very different from 390, it rather seems like an upgrade of 390 with somewhat similar character, riding stance, etc. Your views on this would be appreciated.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:01   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Is there any updates on the Ducati Bangalore showroom? as per some, it was to be opened by the end of may.
There has been no real update on the Ducati Bangalore showroom excepting the fact that the showroom is getting readied up. But nothing physically happening even at the designated place.

Will try to source some more information by asking a couple of contacts from the industry.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 18:45   #123
BHPian

Quote:
The fact that u ride a 390, Would like to know your viewopoint on how different/similar is scrambler to 390?
My personal opinion is that I share your viewpoint. Don't think it is that much more of a bike when you bring the pricing into the picture (~INR 2.2 vs 8 lacs).
In the short ride that I had, the most distinctive upgrades I felt over the 390 were the torque (it is seriously torquey and pulls like a locomotive in 2nd and then 3rd and then 4th), ride quality, build quality, ergonomics, light clutch and smoothness. Couldn't check out the handling much but that 390 flickability is there albeit a bit muted because of the weight. Braking is a bit better than the 390.
Old 5th June 2015, 11:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the bangalore showroom may take a while- July probably. It may also be called titanium ducati.
Quote:
My personal opinion is that I share your viewpoint. Don't think it is that much more of a bike when you bring the pricing into the picture (~INR 2.2 vs 8 lacs).
i am smitten by the scrambler, but rationally thinking, am looking for something which is more oriented towards touring in Indian conditions. Scrambler could do that, but so does the 390. i have sold my C5 and am itching to get something. Hope they launch the Versys 650 soon.
Old 5th June 2015, 12:32   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope they launch the Versys 650 soon.
Wow, Am in the same dilemma as you are in.

Scrambler or the Versys 650?

Scrambler seems to be a much more easy bike to handle but needs to be heavily modded to fit those panniers (not the company panniers)

Versys will be for sure a very practical bike but will make every ride boring as it lacks character.

Question of heart vs mind
Old 5th June 2015, 14:07   #126
BHPian

[quote=nasirkaka;3723567]
I am smitten by the scrambler, but rationally thinking, am looking for something which is more oriented towards touring in Indian conditions. Scrambler could do that, but so does the 390./QUOTE]

IMO Scrambler is not a touring bike at all in the best of conditions, leave alone the Indian ones. Stiff suspension, very low fuel range (~200km on high quality European fuel), not really meant for pillion riders, and as ku69rd pointed out, very hard to mount luggage of any kind.

As a fellow C500 owner, I can tell you the C500 feels like a Rolls Royce on Indian highways compared to the Scrambler. Albeit sluggish, slow & heavy.

That said, Indian bums have a much higher Iron content than their western counterparts and can tour the country on a Bajaj Chetak, so what do I know.
Old 5th June 2015, 14:40   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow, Am in the same dilemma as you are in.

Scrambler or the Versys 650?

Scrambler seems to be a much more easy bike to handle but needs to be heavily modded to fit those panniers (not the company panniers)

Versys will be for sure a very practical bike but will make every ride boring as it lacks character.

Question of heart vs mind
Hi Mahesh. Hope you doing good.

For someone who's had an FZ1 in the past, may I know the reason behind you zeroing on the Scrambler and the Versys? I understand that from price perspective, these are VFM and the Versys has touring capabilities as well, which you are looking for. But wouldn't you miss the power and higher spec that you usually get with a liter class motorcycle?
I'm asking this because the general perception of an upgrade for most of us is 100cc-250cc-600cc-1000cc. Just wanted to know the mind set of a person up(down?)grading from a 1000cc to a 600/800cc.

I feel a Hyperstrada is custom made for you. A fun tourer! Yes yes I know, it costs 13-14 big ones but then if cost is not a factor for you, why aren't you considering it?
Old 5th June 2015, 16:35   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I'm asking this because the general perception of an upgrade for most of us is 100cc-250cc-600cc-1000cc. Just wanted to know the mind set of a person up(down?)grading from a 1000cc to a 600/800cc.

I feel a Hyperstrada is custom made for you.
Hey Buddie,

How are you doing? Hope things are good for you?

Over the days, my preferences have moved on from speed and more towards the trail, mild Off-roads & ability to go anywhere. This means that I need a bike which is more flick-able, ease of handling with good amount of torque at its lower rev band.

Am no longer thrilled by consistently hitting those high double tons but felt the ability to go anywhere being a top motivator.

You might want to suggest the BMW 1200 GS the big daddy of all or the Tiger, however I feel that these bikes are quite heavy and handling in those rough terrains will be handful. Still have a soft heart towards Tiger 800.

Hyper is a good bet no second thoughts on that and will be up for due consideration. But the international reviews have not been kind towards it. They suggest that its a very cramped motorcycle since its essentially a Super Moto bike altered to make it as an all rounder.

Regarding Vstrom 650, Versys 650 or Scrambler, both are good vehicles with well proven engines, less body weight and comfortable riding positions. Both these bikes can be man-handled and provide excellent road grip even in extreme cornering.

Scrambler would need lot of body mods to make it a good tourer including fuel packs and panniers. But that is a fun bike which can irritate lot of big bikes in capable hands. It has decent GC but the positioning of oil filter can be bothersome if you want to take it to Leh/Ladakh areas. Bike is a very good attention magnet and also comes in wire wheels.

Versys 650 is a good cruiser and has decent ground clearance but handling is suspect when you take it off roads. The advantage this has over Scrambler is its relatively low maintenance schedule. The scrambler needs frequent valve adjustment every 12000 Kms compared to the versys 650 at 24000 Kms.

Sorry for the long post, but I think am evolving more as a motorcyclist from being a speed bug to a more versatile guy who would want to go anywhere.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 16:37   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Scrambler is not a touring bike at all in the best of conditions, leave alone the Indian ones. Stiff suspension, very low fuel range (~200km on high quality European fuel), not really meant for pillion riders, and as ku69rd pointed out, very hard to mount luggage of any kind.
same 2 same.

What i meant was that if we indians can tour on 390 which is also exactly as per your description above, then we also can on the scrambler. but that would mean some compromises..

Coming back to my point, scrambler is a nice looking, retro styled, simple bike offering loads of pure fun. So does the 390. Ofcourse there is a vast difference on the plane the two bikes are. Versys 650 sort of fits in as a good companion to 390, complementing each others offerings.

Quote:
Thats where the 390 would fit in.
personally, i am looking at replacing my C5 with a more powerful tourer, which is more reliable, comfortable for rider & pillion, good light, good wind protection, big tank, better handling and braking, and the versys seems to fit in there. I do get when u mention boring, but it fits the budget, else i have been drooling over the tiger 800 and the hyperstrada as well.
Old 5th June 2015, 16:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Stiff suspension, very low fuel range (~200km on high quality European fuel), not really meant for pillion riders, and as ku69rd pointed out, very hard to mount luggage of any kind.
Mate,

When you say Stiff Suspension, do you feel that at low speeds or even at speeds in excess of 90 Kays?
Old 5th June 2015, 17:19   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Mate,

When you say Stiff Suspension, do you feel that at low speeds or even at speeds in excess of 90 Kays?
This is definitely a relative description. There are some stretches in Delhi where the roads don't have potholes or speed bumps, but still they are bumpy if you know what I mean - road joints, imperfections etc. Over three consecutive weeks I had the opportunity to alternate between a C500, Scrambler and a Monster 795 over those stretches at varying speeds. In terms of comfort it was C500 > M795 > Scrambler. At higher speeds they were are all pretty much the same.

The following week I test road a Hypermotard extensively. Great bike, superb technology - ride by wire throttle, Ducati traction control, multi level ABS and a powerhorse, changing of riding modes on the fly between sports, touring and urban etc but despite being a six footer I was struggling at stop lights to keep my feet on the ground without tilting the bike - I didn't enjoy that one bit. With a pillion it would be worse.

That said, over at the main forum, there are KTM 390 & Motard owners who have switched over to Scrambler and they say Scrambler is more comfortable and fun to ride.

I just wish folks at Honda would wake up and realise they have a winner on their hands in the touring category, and bring this beauty in - the Honda NC 750 X:
Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-_1.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-hondamain.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-kft_01_129_50000__b_trax___evo_koffersystem__schwarz__37_37_l__honda_nc_700_x___s___nc_750_sd.jpg
Old 5th June 2015, 19:02   #132
BHPian

Quote:
You might want to suggest the BMW 1200 GS the big daddy of all or the Tiger, however I feel that these bikes are quite heavy and handling in those rough terrains will be handful. Still have a soft heart towards Tiger 800.
Of course not. I wouldn't recommend the GS and the big Tiger to anyone unless they intend to do hardcore offroad trails or continent bashing. The best bet would be the Tiger 800 as you've mentioned! Maybe a Multistrada even, if you have the moolah.

Quote:
Scrambler would need lot of body mods to make it a good tourer including fuel packs and panniers. But that is a fun bike which can irritate lot of big bikes in capable hands. It has decent GC but the positioning of oil filter can be bothersome if you want to take it to Leh/Ladakh areas. Bike is a very good attention magnet and also comes in wire wheels.
Quote:
I think am evolving more as a motorcyclist from being a speed bug to a more versatile guy who would want to go anywhere.
I remember you irritating JVH about his Monster many years back! You had an opinion for Ducati and the arguments you were making were so damn funny!!!
Nice to see you appreciating the brand and its motorcycles. The last statement says it all.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 22:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Nice to see you appreciating the brand and its motorcycles. The last statement says it all.
Multistrada? No ways would I want to rely on electronics that much. Not at all.

Regarding me irritating JVH, what makes you think I will stop doing that?

See you soon buddie Take Care
Old 10th June 2015, 00:53   #134
BHPian

Ducati Diavel & Diavel Carbon

Hey guys.

So during the visit to Ducati showroom, I got an opportunity to test-ride Ducati Diavel.
To be honest, it was my first ride on such a powerful bike. And I think this bike is simply phenomenal, with the way that it isnt too hard to get used to - its scary, sure, but manageable scary.

There just wasnt a road with enough length that I could go past the second gear, and it was a pretty warm day, so the heat from the engine was a bit of a bother..
The ABS kicked in (first time on a bike for me), so that did sort of worry me (of my own capabilities) - and I didnt find the engine very refined somehow. The impression that the Triumph Daytona 675 has left on me is hard to get over. Different leagues of bikes as I understand, but still, the refinement & poise of the Daytona is unmatched.
Maybe I shouldnt compare, but thought its worth mentioning.

Also, do people who ride a Ducati forget they ride a Ducati? How much Ducati-ness must a Ducati have to be a Ducati? Lol. So many logos. So many. And whats with the uber-crappy switch gear?
I do like to rant every once in a while

And now, without further ado -
Looks so mean from every angle.

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0069.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0068001.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0074001.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0075001.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0078.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0079.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0080.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0085.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0087001.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0088001.jpg

Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6)-1dsc_0095001.jpg

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 10th June 2015 at 01:00.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 01:19   #135
BHPian

Re: Superbikes spotted in India

The 'devilest' of them all ! What a looker ! And, how lucky you got to get your hands on her !

Its an Italian. Its a Ducati Diavel and everything is thus forgiven !

As for refinement, the Daytona is a triple so, inherently, more so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks