Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 09:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review

Life is a Ride? Make Life a Ride?? Huh!!!

Wake up every morning with your engine running?

Decisions, decisions, decisions... Every moment is a cross road?

And then there were the intellectuals who wanted us to take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses (China incursions not withstanding) and costly motorcycles (pun intended) each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace...

Enough, enough, enough! I don't want to get into the politics of all that. I just want to ride!!

Are you joking? In these Covid times! Are you crazy? This is not the year for investments, just consolidate what you have! Yes, you can keep 3 bikes, but you can sleep on the road! And so on and so forth. These were just some of the responses I received from friends, family, wife and well wishers when they heard about my crazy plan to finally move up to my dream bike.

So stopping all this banter now. And I finally put the money where the mouth is. And I got it! My dream bike! What I had dreamt that one day I would be able to afford. Yes, you can do it. Hard work and perseverance is all it takes. Don't let go of your dream. Don't look back no matter how hard the times are. Work hard and you will move up in life. All these phrases that my Dad used to tell me, came rolling back.

So ladies and gentleman, the BMW

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-9_2-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020-1920x1080.jpg

R1250

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-10_1-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020-1920x1080.jpg

GS Adventure

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-11_2-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020-1920x1080.jpg

is here...

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-2_0-delivery-photo-05082020.jpg

Coming up...

Last edited by dkaile : 19th August 2020 at 11:59.
dkaile is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 11:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review

The Process

At 51, with age catching up with me fast, and all this covid mayhem going one, I could have 2 ways to face it all. 1. Go in a shell OR 2. Break free of the rut mindset and expedite your pace. I chose the latter. With more than 1 lac kms of motorcycling now behind my back, the thirst for more only got stronger. No compromises this time around. But as they say, reality strikes! I could, for all financial purposes, keep this as the 3rd superbike in my garage, however parking space was a major constraint. And wifey put the foot down, as I mentioned in the 1st post. So one of the bikes had to go. And I chose that would be the Ninja 1000. More on that, some other time. These covid times saw all the resale market go for a toss. Even though it was a very low mileage bike but it was nearly 3 years old now. I was still able to sell off the bike at not such a bad price. Also sold off the panniers separately and ultimately just lost about a lac from my expected price. Earn another day, and moved on!

Just for retrospect, my other ownership threads of some of my bikes and cars are listed below -

Kawasaki Ninja 1000 MY 2018 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ve-review.html (2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review)

Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 2012 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ve-review.html (Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review)

Harley Davidson 883 Superlow 2013 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ve-review.html (Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review)

Royal Enfield Himalayan 2016 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...re-tourer.html (Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer)

And I will be comparing it as such with these bikes on which I have had first hand experience.

Some of my other threads -

Skoda Superb 2012, which I still own and love - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...t-destiny.html (Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny)

Toyota Fortuner 2011, also still in the family - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...uilt-last.html (The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last)

Now with Ninja 1000 sold at a decent price, money was still a constraint, and with my son's education cost abroad lurking around the corner, I did not want to touch my savings. As I had said on my Himalayan thread, the 1200GSA costs nearly ~ to 12 Himalayans or maybe a little more. Thankfully interest rates had dropped considerably. So I paid off my Bank of India's Ninja 1000 loan which was going on at 9.2% and they gave me a fresh one for around 40% of the Beemer's cost at just 7.35% (Yes, you read that right), as I was having a high credit rating score. So the 16.9k per month installment just turned into 19.9k one which did not affect me financially. So with 80% of the cost now taken care of by the sale of the Ninja 1000 and the loan, I just contributed the rest and bought the bike home.

Financial quote that I got was nearly 26L on-road Delhi as this was the topmost variant of the GS range. I went for the R1250GS Adventure, Pro Variant in Style HP colour and kit with the additional Passenger Kit included, the BLUE BEAK version as they call it in GS terminology. The Passenger Kit replaces the lower Rallye Single Seat with the normal Adventure Dual (read higher) Seats and also the lower Rallye Windshield with the normal (read higher again) Touring Windshield of the Adventure Range. Rest of the Kit is similar with the HP Style, more on which I will elaborate subsequently. The Bike was also Euro 5 i.e. BS6 compliant, so the previous discounts of upto 4 lacs or more on the BS4 range had vanished. But I was still able to muster a decent deal and the bike costed me 22.75L with RTO and TCS and I did the comprehensive Insurance (1 year OD + 5 year TP) myself from United India at another 47k, so it went on to 23.25L on road and I further added around 2L of accessories, so the final landed cost was around 25L. Yes, it's ~ 12 Himalayans!

My dilemmas whether to opt for the GS or the GS Adventure were discussed here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4830544 (BMW R1200GSA or R1250GS?) . I usually research for at least a year before placing my money on any vehicle, but with the GS it was a long and ongoing process. And YES, I was finally able to get my favorite BLUE! And not a ounce of regret for not going for the lighter GS. I was able to ride standing at speed limit highway speeds on DAY 1 on the Adventure. I took to it like duck to water. If you are built for it, just go for the GSA and you wont regret it. Once it starts moving, you will see the weight disappear.

The Major Differences between the GSA and GS are -

- 30L Aluminum Tank vs 20L Plastic Tank
- 268 kgs vs 249, difference of 19 kg. Just for perspective, my Ninja 1000 was 240 kgs and my Heritage Softail is 340 kgs!!
- Engine specs are absolutely identical. More on the new VVT Twin Cam 1250 boxer motor later. And yes, that video by Fortnine criticizing VVT tech on 1250 should NOT let you change your mind. Thank God, I did not get swayed by it and am loving every moment on this new motor. All that talk about HSC kicking in automatically and VVT by him is just a person unfamiliar with how to use these features properly, talking. Don't, I repeat DON'T let that sway your decision, if that is what is keeping you from going for it.
- 0-100 timings (unofficial figures) are floating between 2.91s to 3.16s. Ninja 1000 was 3.3s.
- Price difference is around 1.9L variant to variant. In this difference you additionally get in GSA over the GS full Engine and Crash Protection (around 1L in aftermarket), Auxiliary Fog Lamps (25k), Rear Pannier Railings, removable (60k), Adjustable and spiked brake and gear levers, a more comfortable seat. Rear luggage rack is longer and fits top box directly, In GS you pay extra for top box mount.
- Radiator Guards are standard in GSA HP Style, you pay extra on normal GS
- Chassis Frame Protector is standard on GSA HP Style, again missing on GS
- Additionally you get Hill Start Control Pro version in GSA which automatically or manually holds your bike on an incline, on the GS you get only the manual HSC.
- No Chain maintenance is standard on both due to Shaft Drive.
- HP stands for High Performance Edition in BMW terminology and is to renamed as M Edition as in their cars.

Quote from Revzilla -

Quote:
My initial gut reaction was that I liked the smaller, GS better. It was outfitted nearly identically to the GSA, but because of its size, it just felt tighter and nimbler. But after moving to the next off-road section, I found myself missing the GSA. The base GS didn't have the brake pedal extender, so like the F 850 GS, I found it nearly impossible to reach the rear brake pedal while in the standing position. The bigger boxer actually felt more stable and confidence-inspiring off-road when compared side-by-side with the standard GS. That was pretty impressive.
- I put this above statement also down to the 'shorter' wheelbase on the GSA of 1517mm (59.7") compared to 1525mm (60") on the GS. Also the rake is slightly different which contributes to stability off-road. Rake - 26.3 degrees (GSA) vs 25.5 (GS). Also the Trail is 4.1" on the GSA vs 3.9" on the GS.
- Seat height GSA - 890-910 vs GS - 850-870. Shorter riders can opt for the GS. I am 5'11" 83 kgs (down from 105... Lolz) and I am able to flat foot both my feet on my GSA as shown here in this post -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4845202 (BMW R1200GSA or R1250GS?)

This is the Kalamata Matt Version of the GSA. I like to call it the Stealth or the Safari Version. Both feet are flat on the ground.
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1-bmw-test-ride-15072020.jpg

This is the Black Storm/Night Black Exclusive version of the GS with yellow highlights. More like the 40th Anniversay Editions launched in the 750 and 850GS's.
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1-bmw-test-ride-15072020_2.jpg

Test Riding the GS version of HP Style (aka The lighter White Beak)
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1-bmw-test-ride-15072020_3.jpg

- Suspension Travel - GSA : F - 210mm; R- 220mm ; GS : F - 190mm; R - 200mm

(Just to compare with my Ninja 1000, Suspension Travel F - 120mm, R - 144mm, Weight (as I mentioned) is 240 kgs and Seat Height is 815mm.
And to give further perspective, lets also add F850GS - Seat height 860 mm, Weight 229 kgs and also F750GS - Seat height 815mm, Weight 224 kgs)

-----------------------------

A little comparo photos of the R1250GS - HP Style (White Beak) with my bike R1250GS Adventure - HP Style (Blue Beak) that I did on the day of the delivery -

Both the bikes together in a line. Notice the shorter Rallye Windscreen and Rallye Seat on the GS (White Beak). These 2 items are swapped during the addition of the Passenger Kit at 25k additional swapping cost.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery_1.jpg

Closer Look at the Rallye Seat on the GS which is quite similar on the GSA - HP Style without passenger kit except the rear luggage rack

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery_2.jpg

The 'normal' dual passenger seat on my bike, a part of the additional cost passenger kit. Notice the different SS Luggage rack which can fit the Top Box directly while the above GS one requires additional parts.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery_3.jpg

Side view of the GS - HP Style. Notice the lack of any engine or tank protection which has to be bought separately.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery_4.jpg

Side view of my bike, the GSA - HP Style

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery_5.jpg

--------------------

I also talked to the Honda Goldwing guys for the new Africa Twin, just to hear them out. They said No Discounts and No Test Ride bike. Also no chance of Android Auto coming on the new screen, which was a big draw for me as it was not available on the GSA. But sadly I am not a Apple guy. Shell out 18 Lacs upfront and few months down the line we will reward you with the new Africa Twin. Lolz. No offense meant to any prospective or current owner, but it was not my cup of tea, as I would primarily be using my bike for touring and not for off-road, where the Africa Twin excels.

So the R1250 GSA it is. Like all my threads, this will start with the initial impressions and gradually progress into a comprehensive review.

Coming Up...

STATUTORY WARNING : The following few posts are very long with 200+ photos and only for hardcore enthusiasts. Proceed at your own risk. Lolz.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 18:12.
dkaile is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 14:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Delivery

So I took delivery of the bike on 5th of August 2020, around a week after having paid the advance deposit of Rs. 1L to Lutyens Motorrad, Delhi, the only authorised BMW Motorrad (Motorcycle in German) Dealer in Delhi/NCR. They had just closed down their Lajpat Nagar showroom and shifted to their Service Centre at Okhla which will henceforth be a single access point for sales and service. Covid is hitting all quite hard. Although they had a brand new R1250 GSA HP Style standing with them in the showroom which had just reached them 2 days back, I opted for a factory sealed unit as I wanted to unbox it myself. It was my dream bike after all!

So I reach there early morning with my son and the sealed bike is in the background.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1-delivery.jpg

The box packed bike awaiting our arrival which had just been unloaded from the truck from the factory last night

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_2-delivery.jpg

Unwrapped it for posterity

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_3-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_4-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_5-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_6-delivery.jpg

PDI Started

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_7-delivery.jpg

Official Coversheet specifying the options on this fully loaded bike from the factory. Also note that the 10th digit of the VIN is 'L' specifying that it is MY 2020 bike. This bike is manufactured only in Berlin, Germany, although it takes a CKD route to Thailand and then is shipped as it is to India, due to the tax saving agreements with Thailand. Also BMW is taking advantage of the new homologation rules which I have discussed here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4861884 (Front Number plates) , which even exempts them from front licence plate regulations due to EEC/ECE standards used in the manufacture of the bike to EU regulations. However, I am taking no chances and have somehow attached the front HSRP also.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_0-delivery.jpg

The above option list includes all the features in this fully loaded bike -

Standard Features -
1. Anti-slip clutch, Twin Cylinder Air/Liquid Cooled Boxer Engine with BMW Shift Cam Technology (VVT), EU5 with Shaft Drive
2. Tubeless Cross Spoked Wheels, Automatic Stability Control (ASC), BMW Integrated ABS Pro (meaning with IMU based Cornering ABS), BMW's famed Paralever Front and Telelever Rear Suspension which are both fully adjustable and have travel dependent dampening (WAD), Steering Stabilizer (Dampener)
3. Dynamic Brake Light (flashes on hard braking), Immobilizer, 6.5" Colour TFT Screen, Comfort Turn Indicators (Self Cancelling), LED Tail Light, LED Head Light, Multi Controller Jog Wheel on left handlebar, 12V DIN Power Socket
4. One Key for all locks, Riding Modes, Adjustable Gear Lever + Foot Brake Lever + Hand Brake Lever + Clutch Lever (all adjustable), Center Stand, Rear Luggage Rack, Tank Crash Bars, Engine Protection Bars, Engine Skid Plate, 2 Separate Seats, Adjustable Windshield
5. Special Features as standard - Bluetooth Connectivity, Detachable License Plate Holder, Hand Protection Guards, Hill Start Control (HSC), Aluminum Fuel Tank, Storage Compartment on Fuel Tank, Widened and Spiked Enduro Footrests

Pro Variant Features -
1. Comfort Package - Chromed Exhaust Header Pipes, Heated Grips (2 stage), Tyre Pressure Monitoring (RDC), Hand Protection
2. Touring Package - Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment - Manual and Auto load based), Keyless Ride, GPS Mount with control from Jog Wheel on left handlebar, Cruise Control, LED Fog Lights, Pannier Fastenings (Frame) for Aluminum Panniers and Top Box
3. Dynamic Package - Additional DRL (Daytime Running Light), Gear Shift Assist Pro (Quick Shifter), Riding Modes Pro, All LED Turn Indicators

Form 22 specifying that the bike complies with BS6

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_1-delivery.jpg

The Keyless Ride Remote Key. Sadly BMW provides only one Remote Key on a bike costing 25L! This has been a bone of contention with BMW Owners worldwide. The duplicate key is a Plastic Key which although has a transponder built in, requires a acrobatic maneuver to start the bike. Lolz. A lost Keyless Remote would cost a whopping 23k. More on that later.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_8-delivery.jpg

The PDI was a very long drawn process as it involved hooking up the bike to a BMW server in Germany to update it to the latest software version 022_005_041 (I have discussed the version in subsequent posts). It took nearly 5 hours for the update!! They did not allow me to take photographs of the software or the process being used. Finally it gave a Low Fuel warning on the screen as the bike refused to start on 1st start-up, which was solved by topping up with 5L of fuel for the test ride which is mandatory after the software update.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_9-delivery.jpg

The bike was at 3kms upon unboxing and finally I took it from the showroom at 7 kms on the Odo after their regulatory 4 km test ride.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_9_1-delivery.jpg

The Month and Year of actual manufacture is 10/2019 as the MY 2020 bikes starts coming from July/Aug of preceding year with most manufacturers (same with my Kawasaki)

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_10-delivery.jpg

They handed me the Pro Mode Plug which plugs inside a socket under the front seat and which will only be installed after the Break-in/1000km service is completed, as according to them the bike becomes a maniac especially in Enduro Pro mode. Although after riding it for nearly 300kms now, it feels maniac as it is. Lolz.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_11-delivery.jpg

This is a photo from a R1250RS which got the same software version upgrade as mine today

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-327-tft-display-software-version-r1250rs.jpg

This is supposed to unlock this SPORTS Screen that we have also seen on the new S1000RR including lean angles and everything. Perhaps after connecting this Pro Mode Plug the screen will be unlocked which I cannot see for now -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-328-tft-display-r1250rs-sport-screen.jpg

A closer look at the Keyless Remote Flip Key. It requires a CR2032 battery for replacement, one of which I have already stored with the under seat tool-kit. Lolz.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_12-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_13-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_14-delivery.jpg

They also included the Luggage Carrier Cover Caps from the factory in case I remove the side frame for aluminum panniers, which make the bike look slim and smart. Nice small touches.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_15-delivery.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_16-delivery.jpg

Detailed Owner's/Rider's Manuals were provided in waterproof plastic cover including a Supplementary Manual for the HP version which includes many extras as I have detailed above, including the adjustable footrests, levers etc. There is a dedicated storage space under the passenger seat for these manuals so that they can be kept along with the bike at all times. Although these are also available in PDF forms online from the company and I have also linked them in this post.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_17-delivery.jpg

PDF versions of these manuals -

Rider's Manual for the R1250GS Adventure & Supplementary Rider's Manuals for the R1250GS Adventure HP are attached at the end of this post in PDF format.

The only difference with the PDF version that I noted in the actual manuals was the EU5 sticker pasted under Exhaust Emissions Standard. Lolz...

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_18-delivery.jpg

Few Accessories that I have ordered as there was a 30% to 50% off offer going on all these from BMW till August 15th. Just imagine their full MRP. Lolz. Main among these are the Side and Top Aluminum Pannier Boxes in BLACK. I opted for the Black ones which although slightly costlier than the Silver ones, really enhance the look of the bike. Also prominent is the Navigator 6 GPS system which integrates seamlessly with the bike and is controlled via onboard controls on the bike. Also ordered a high quality Rain Cover with a dedicated License Plate Window and locking mechanism; Original BMW Battery Charger with digital display which charges directly through the 12V Power DIN Socket and is controlled by the on-board computer and Canbus System, which cuts off charging automatically; BMW Dual USB Charger for the DIN socket; Protective Gorilla Glass for the TFT screen; Inner cases for the aluminum panniers and their grab handles and some other small items.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_19-delivery.jpg

Here is a Head On pose of me on my bike compared to the normal GS HP Style. Blue Beak vs White Beak. The difference in width is evident, however look closely and you will notice that the tank is still within the width of the Boxer engine below.

Blue Beak
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-6_1-bmw-r1250gsa-front-view.jpg

White Beak
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-6_2-bmw-r1250gs-front-view.jpg

Some Delivery Photos-

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-2-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-6_3-bmw-r1250gsa-side-view.jpg

Going on...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 22:34.
dkaile is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

The 90km ride back home to Meerut was quite eventful as I was stuck in a massive traffic jam. On top of that my son was driving the car alone for the first time inter-city, so I had to keep pace with him, which he could not maintain above 50kmph due to the traffic. In the end it took us a good 3 hours to cover that journey and I was sweating like a pig at the end of it. The problem was compounded by the heavy winter gear I wrongly chose to wear and TOO MUCH wind protection of the bike. Lolz. Everything about the bike is a little overboard. Anyways, all these doubts vanished the next day on my subsequent 100k ride.

Time now for the photos to do the talking, so here they come -

The GSA strikes a pose -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-2_1-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-2_2-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-3-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

The Imposing Front. People give way especially with Auxiliary Fog Lights on. May even plan an additional set of Denali's with their Cansmart system.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-6-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

The sweet derriere', can be slimmed further by removing the pannier mounting frame. But for now I really feel secure with that frame in place as it also works to protect your bike in traffic.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-7-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

Another good angle

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-8-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

It's a BMW and quality reeks

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-9_1-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

R1250GS Adventure - HP Style

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-10-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

A view of the 'GS' Tank Stickering on both sides of the tank. The tank is finished in Matt White. Although I wanted the Brushed Aluminum Finish which is available as a 300$ option abroad, it was however not available in India.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-11-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-11_1-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

and the embossed 'GS' on the Aluminum Tank

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-11_3-bmw-r1250gsa-purchased-05082020.jpg

Some views of the fantastic Cockpit -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-12-bmw-r1250gsa-cockpit-view-1.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-12-bmw-r1250gsa-cockpit-view-2.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-12-bmw-r1250gsa-cockpit-view-3.jpg

Notice the width of the Tank is less than the boxer engine below -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-12-bmw-r1250gsa-cockpit-view-4.jpg

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-12-bmw-r1250gsa-cockpit-view-5.jpg

One of the stellar features is the Signature BMW style full LED Lighting on this bike, including the headlights (detailed photos ahead) -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-13-bmw-r1250gsa-full-led-lighting-1920x1080.jpg

Another BMW trademark is the Telelever Rear Suspension hidden behind all those electronics which involves a cast aluminium single-sided swinging arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever at rear. It is Spring preload infinitely hydraulically adjustable via handwheel in non-pro models and electronically in mine. As also the Rebound damping adjustable in 12 stages via handwheel in non-pro models and electronically here. The Spring strut comes with WAD (travel-related damping) for a butter smooth ride.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-14_1-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-paralever-suspension-220mm.jpg

A closer view of another BMW highlight - The Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) controls at both ends. Here is the Rear one -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-14-bmw-r1250gsa-dynamic-suspension-adjustment-esa.jpg

A short company video on the Dynamic ESA technology

High Quality parts by ZF who are the global leaders in this field.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-14_2-bmw-r1250gsa-zf-electronic-suspension.jpg

Another highlight of the bike is the 6.5" TFT Screen with connected technology (detailed review ahead). Sorry for the display picture as I have still not removed factory plastic from the screen as I am waiting for the tempered glass protector from BMW. BMW says -
Quote:
This TFT display comes with BMW Motorrad Connectivity and on-board computer. The Multi-functional info display that can be controlled using the Multi-Controller on the left handlebar, with 6.5" full-colour TFT display as well as media and telephone functions. The High-resolution colour display has some innovative presentation of vehicle-specific data and media information. Intuitively functional Multi-Controller for operating all available vehicle functions. With additional information and navigation via the BMW Motorrad Connected app.
BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-15-bmw-r1250gsa-colour-tft-connected-display.jpg

Another highlight feature is the Keyless Ride

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-16-bmw-r1250gsa-keyless-ride.jpg

The key is detected automatically when within range. Long Press locks/unlocks the steering when it is fully turned to the left. Short Press activates/deactivates the bike/screen.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-17-bmw-r1250gsa-keyless-ride.jpg

Error message is displayed if the bike is on and the key goes out of range

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-17_1-bmw-r1250gsa-remote-key-error-screen.jpg

Another highlight is the Shift Cam Technology of the bike.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-18-bmw-r1250gsa-shift-cam-technology.jpg

A short company video on the Shift Cam Technology

Look Maa, no chain on a motorcycle!! Another patented technology by BMW is the Shaft Drive on it's bikes. Even Honda has a very reliable similar unit. No chain maintenance for life. Highly durable if the bevel gears are oiled and greased every year.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-19-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-shaft-drive.jpg

And the Spoked Tubeless Wheels. Here's a view of the Rear Wheel with single disc 276 mm brake at rear.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-20-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-spoked-tubeless-tyre.jpg

A close up of the Rear Wheel will reveal that it is a very simple job to take it off unlike other motorcycle wheels. Just open the 5 Torq nuts visible in the picture and the wheel just slides off like that of a car in less than 2 minutes!!

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-21-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-tyre-removal-nuts-brake-disk.jpg

Another highlight feature of the bike is the wireless Tyre Pressure Monitoring (RDC) system built into both the wheels which displays near accurate readings on the TFT display and even warns in case of any failures in tyre pressure. Very handy for touring and to prevent tyre damage. Here is the sensor visible on the Rear Wheel, but special care is needed during every tyre change -

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-22-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-tyre-pressure-monitoring.jpg

And the fantastic BREMBO Brakes at the Rear with ABS and dynamic control in ABS Pro mode and features a double-piston floating caliper

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-22_1-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-brembo-brakes.jpg

More following...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 18:14.
dkaile is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pictures continued...

The Front Wheel with dual 305 mm discs

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-23-bmw-r1250gsa-front-spoked-tubeless-tyre.jpg

A closer look at the four-piston radial brake calipers which are now BMW branded and NOT Brembo like the rear

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-23_1-bmw-r1250gsa-front-dual-brakes-bmw-marked.jpg

These are in fact now made by HAYES as can been seen at their branding at the rear, who are a US based manufacturer and another leader in this field. The Brakes are, just one word for it, FLAWLESS, under any braking conditions. I would rate them much better than the stock brakes on my Ninja 1000, which I rated very high btw.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-23_2-bmw-r1250gsa-front-brakes-hayes.jpg

The Front TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR which I discussed earlier

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-23_3-bmw-r1250gsa-fronttyre-pressure-monitoring.jpg

The Rear also comes with a solidly built Rear Tyre Hugger which will help in keeping the pillion's back absolutely clean in mushy conditions. They have designed the bike brilliantly.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-24-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-tyre-hugger.jpg

TYRES

Now lets discuss the Tyre which are a critical part especially for a Adventure Go Anywhere World Tourer. BMW Has chosen to go with 80:20 Tyres for the HP Style variant with Cross Spoke wheels unlike the 100% road tyres on the Alloy Wheel models. They have Chosen the MICHELIN Anakee Adventure 2CT+ tyres which are Made in Thailand on this bike. On the 3x 100 km highway rides I have had so far, these tyres are brilliant on road, handling everything from corner or insane speeds that I could manage during the 5k rpm limit for the break-in period. Even though I did push them for short bursts past 6k rpm.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-200-front-tyre-michelin-made-thailand.jpg

The front is a 120/70 R19

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-201-front-tyre-size-12070-r19.jpg

It is Tubeless Tyre which can also fit a Tube if required for hardcore off-roading

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-202-front-tyre-tubeless.jpg

Anakee branding comes in 3 variants iirc and this is the middle Adventure variant for 80% Road and 20% Off-Road usage

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-203-front-tyre-michelin-anakee-adventure-8020.jpg

Grooved Pattern, though it will still miss a beat on sand and heavy slush where the Anakee WILD would be a better option. But for primarily road usage with a little off-roading, this will do just fine.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-204-front-tyre-tread-pattern.jpg

A closer look at the front wheel ABS ring

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-205-front-wheel-abs-ring.jpg

and the ABS sensor with BMW branded HAYES brake calipers

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-206-front-wheel-abs-sensor-disk-brakes.jpg

The Rear is 170/60 R17

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-207-rear-tyre-michelin-size-17060-r17-.jpg

with the same Anakee Adventure branding

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-208-rear-tyre-michelin-anakee-adventure-2ct.jpg

More coming...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 11:50.
dkaile is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 11:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Stainless steel upswept exhaust system with sound flap

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-25-bmw-r1250gsa-single-upswept-exhaust.jpg

A closer view of the Rear LED Brake Lights with Dynamic function which causes it to flash on hard braking. Also the LED Rear Indicators.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-26-bmw-r1250gsa-rear-dynamic-brake-light-indicators.jpg

and the famed BMW Front Telelever Suspension with the 3rd Spring in between the 2 shock absorbers. The stanchion (front shocker) diameter is 37mm. I have never experienced a smoother road ride on a motorcycle in the short duration it has been with me

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-27-bmw-r1250gsa-front-telelever-suspension-210-mm.jpg

and the Steering Dampening Unit below the telelever suspension. They sure have not missed a trick in making this bike the Ultimate World Tourer

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-28-bmw-r1250gsa-front-steering-damping.jpg

Here is a broader view of the Front Suspension with the Dual Radiators. Note the Radiator Guards are factory installed on this variant

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-29-bmw-r1250gsa-front-suspension-dual-radiators-protectors.jpg

The Front ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) Unit is again by ZF

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-29_1-bmw-r1250gsa-front-electronic-suspension-zf-vin.jpg

Here's closer look on the Radiators from the front. Only the Right Side Radiator has a Cooling Fan

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-29_2-bmw-r1250gsa-right-radiator-fan.jpg

Whereas the left radiator does not as the cooling system is a single closed loop one

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-29_3-bmw-r1250gsa-left-radiator.jpg

A closer look at the revolutionary BMW Boxer Engine now with Shift Cam (VVT) as we discussed earlier. Some salient highlights of this engine -

• Air/liquid-cooled, twin-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine with double overhead spur-gear-driven camshaft and balancer shaft
• Cylinder head with 4 valves and BMW ShiftCam (VVT) technology which I can safely say is the best at present in the world, even better than the Suzuki units.
• Capacity: 1,254 cc
• Max. output: 136 hp (100 kW) at 7,750 rpm
• Max. torque: 143 Nm at 6,250 rpm
• E-gas (electronic throttle valve control)
• Aluminium cylinder head covers
• Wet eight-disc clutch with anti-hopping (anti-slip) function, hydraulically operated with a separate Oil Reservoir on the handlebar.
• Six-speed helical synchromesh gearbox

A view of it's right side with the unique pilferage proof engine oil filler cap

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-30-bmw-r1250gsa-boxer-engine-right-view-oil-filler-cap.jpg

A view of it's left side. The engine oil filter and the engine oil drain plug is situated below on this side

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-31-bmw-r1250gsa-boxer-engine-left-view.jpg

And it is my honor to state that some small mechanical parts of this boxer engine are even being supplied by their India partner TVS. Make in India and then Made in Germany!!

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-bmw-1250-boxer-engine-openend-tvs-parts.jpg

A view from the front. Notice the Right O2 sensor and Oil Level window peeping behind

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-32-bmw-r1250gsa-engine-front-view.jpg

And the Engine Protection Plate up front. Everything reeks quality as I mentioned earlier

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-33_1-bmw-r1250gsa-front-engine-protection-plate-bmw-logo-1920x1080.jpg

More coming...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 14:05.
dkaile is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lights

Let's have a closer look as to how the LED lights look in their various avatars.

First up is just the Parking Light which can be switched on if you need to Park Your bike on road side. It occupies the same space as the DRL but light intensity is much lower as you will see in the next picture.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-100-led-headlight-parking-light-front.jpg

Here is the view of the DRL (Daytime Running Light) which is exclusive to the Pro variant and one in which BMW expects you to do your default riding during daytime. It provides a Unique BMW specific inverse C-shaped signature which is instantly recognisable. BMW say's that this provides even better visibility than Low Beam headlights during daytime. There is also a dedicated switch on the left handlebar (discussed later) to switch the DRL on/off even in fully Auto Lighting mode.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-101-led-headlight-drl.jpg

A closer look at the DRL switched on. But maximum visibility is only in head-on view.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-101_1-led-headlight-drl-closer-view.jpg

Here's a view of the LOW Beam LED Headlight along with the Auxiliary LED FOG Lights switched on. This combination can only be switched on if you switch off the DRL by that switch I mentioned in Auto/Manual light mode. Notice the Parking Lights also come ON in this combination (as the DRL gets switched off) to give that unique Asymmetric BMW Light pattern which provides instant recognition of the bike from a distance.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-102-led-headlight-low-beam-parking-light-auxiliary-fog-lights.jpg

Now the HIGH Beam LED Headlight comes on via a separate switch combined into the headlight flasher switch on the right side handlebar. if you notice carefully you will see that the High Beam light is situated in between the Parking Light surround. The visibility was great in the first night ride I did while bringing the bike back home after delivery, though I found out that these could be adjusted a little higher later without any dealership intervention.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-103-led-headlight-high-beam-parking-light-auxiliary-fog-lights.jpg

Here's a view of the Parking LED Brake Light at the rear

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-104-led-brake-parking-light-rear.jpg

and now with the Hazard's switched on. The intensity is very bright at night.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-105-brake-parking-light-rear-hazard-lights-.jpg

Here's the Headlight Beam Adjuster Switch that I was talking about earlier and it is located just below the TFT screen on the left hand side. Right now you see it in Neutral or Normal Load position which can be adjusted by that bell crank adjuster. The Light can also be adjusted high or low by simply twisting that HEX nut you see on the screen with your fingers, so that you can adjust your headlight to pinpoint accuracy of your choice. That's German Innovation! So many manufacturer's make this simple job so complicated.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-106-headlight-adjuster-neutral-position.jpg

And now with that Bell Crank in the HIGH Payload position which automatically lowers the headlight beam at the flick of the switch and even on the go.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-106_1-headlight-adjuster-high-payload-position.jpg

----------------

Some other detailed pictures and features -

The left side Passenger Footpeg/Footrest in open position. Notice the quality of finish on the Passenger Footrest Mount! This is also easily user removable for off-road use.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-107-passenger-footpeg-left.jpg

The Right Passenger Footrest

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-108-passenger-footpeg-right.jpg

The Adjustable Foot Brake Lever and also the Adjustable Right Side Rider Foot Peg. Notice the the additional hole on the Rider Footpeg which is used for adjusting the foot peg in the 2 positions of your choice and can be done without dealer intervention.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-109-brake-lever-rier-footpeg-right.jpg

A closer view of the Foot Brake Lever now adjusted in the Standing Position which can be done in the flick of a spring loaded push lever. Simple uncomplicated engineering!

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-110-adjustable-brake-lever-standing-position.jpg

A view of the Left Side Rider Foot Peg with the Gear Lever with the optional Quick Shifter (Pro Model) also visible. BMW calls it Gear Shift Assistance Pro.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-111-gear-lever-quickshifter-rider-footpeg-left.jpg

A closer view of Left Spiked Rider Foot Rest or Enduro Foot Pegs as they are called. Makes riding the bike while standing a breeze with no risk of foot slippage.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-112-rider-footpeg-spiked-left.jpg

A view of both the Side Stand and the heavy duty Centre Stand. Makes maintenance tasks a breeze.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-113-centre-side-stand.jpg

Initially I found putting the bike on centre stand quite hard. Then I learnt the correct technique and it now is a breeze. I even made a video about that. Please DON'T LAUGH at this video. It is an immature attempt. Lolz.

The Side Stand Ignition Cut-Off Switch. Will need some protection for off-road use which is available from 3rd party suppliers.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-114-side-stand-switc.jpg

A closer look at the Rear Luggage Rack in stainless steel. Even though it looks simpler than the black one on the GS, it has a built to last quality feel about it. Also the Aluminium Top Box just snaps on to it in the grooves visible in the photo.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-115-rear-luggage-rack.jpg

The Right Side Pannier Holder also in SS. The whole Pannier Holder is removable by 6 nuts (4 on the top and 2 on the sides)

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-116-right-pannier-holder-exhaust.jpg

The Left Side Pannier Holder. Putting the Aluminium Side Boxes on these is a job of a minute and they just slide on and lock.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-117-left-pannier-holder.jpg

A closer look at the unique Engine Oil Filler Cap on the right side of the engine. It is opened by the Screw Driver Tool's head in the Tool Kit.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-118-engine-oil-filler-cap.jpg

A closer look at the Engine Oil Level glass window also on the right side below the engine

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-119-engine-oil-level-window-right-side.jpg

Front view of the Oil Filter on the Left Side of the engine. Also visible is the left side O2 sensor

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-120-oil-filter-front-o2-sensor-left-view.jpg

The Oil Filter

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-121-oil-filter-left-side.jpg

A close look at the Chrome Exhaust Headers which comes only on the Pro version

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-122-chrome-exhaust-headers.jpg

Even the Catcon below the engine is in chrome finish. It's a regulated 3-way catalytic converter.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-122_1-chrome-exhaust-catcon-end-can.jpg

A closer look at the Auxiliary LED Fog Light. The Right side one...

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-123-fog-light-right.jpg

and the Left side one. The Light throw is less than the after market one's like Denali, Clearwater etc.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-124-fog-light-left.jpg

A closer look at the front LED Indicator

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-125-led-turn-indicator-front-right-.jpg

More Coming...

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th August 2020 at 18:29. Reason: As requested
dkaile is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 15:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Controls and Levers

The Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Reservoir on the left side of the handlebar. The clutch is a wet type eight-disc clutch with anti-hopping function and is hydraulically operated

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-127-hydraulic-clutch-fluid-cover-front-view-left-side.jpg

The Front Brake Fluid Reservoir on the right side of the handlebar. Uses DOT4 brake fluid. Brake fluid is replaced in the 1st year and then subsequently every 2 years.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-129-front-brake-fluid-reservoir-front-view-right-side.jpg

It has a brake fluid checking window facing outward to the rider

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-130-front-brake-fluid-reservoir-rear-view-level-window-right-side.jpg

The Right Side Hand Protector is just a plastic fairing. Would have appreciated one with metal spine like the Barkbusters. Still would do the job protecting the hands from bushes etc. on off road trails

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-131-right-side-hand-protector-front-view.jpg

Inside view of the Left Side Hand Protector and Handlebar Controls with Bar End Weights

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-132-left-hand-protector-rear-view-controls.jpg

A closer look at the Left Hand Controls. Do note the Circular Multi-Controller jog wheel. From top to bottom - Cruise Control System, Hazard Warning Light switch, DRL Switch, ABS + ASC/DSC (Traction Control) (Switchable On/Off) and Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment - Goes to Maximum, Minimum or AUTO) Controls, MENU rocker switch, Self Cancelling/Comfort Turn Indicator switch and the Horn Button. Also note the Auxiliary FOG Light Switch on the Left Side Rear View Mirror bracket. The Parking Lights are switched ON by switching the Ignition off and then immediately holding the Turn Indicator switch to the left till they come on.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-133-left-hand-controls.jpg

A closer look at the FOG Light Switch. Can only be switched on if the DRL is off i.e. on either Low Beam or High Beam. Also the on-board computer remembers the last known on/off state and reverts to it automatically.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-134-fog-light-switch-left-controls.jpg

The High Beam Switch along with the Headlight Flasher. It is pushed forward to switch on the high beam and pulled backwards to operate the headlight flasher

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-135-high-beam-flasher-switch.jpg

A closer look at the Cruise Control Switch. I used it once recently and it was quite a easy system to use and cancel.. Although I still believe that Indian Highways are no place for using Cruise Control. Lolz.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-136-cruise-control-switch-drl-switch-hazard-light-switch.jpg

The left hand Clutch Lever. Note that it is a snap-off type for off-road usability under damage.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-137-left-side-snap-off-clutch-lever.jpg

Both hand levers are adjustable. Here is the 4 way adjustment for the Clutch Lever. 1 being the closest and 4 being the farthest from the grip

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-138-left-side-clutch-lever-adjuster.jpg

Right Hand Side Controls. Starter Button and Emergency Off Switch. Along with Riding Modes switch and Heated Handlebar Grips button

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-139-right-side-controls.jpg

A closer look at the Riding Modes and Heated Grips buttons

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-140-right-side-heated-grip-mode-controller-switches.jpg

The Brake Lever is also 4-way adjustable

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-141-right-side-brake-lever-adjuster.jpg

Beautiful BMW Emblem Logo under the Handlebar Riser

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-142-bmw-logo-handlebar.jpg

Double-butted Aluminium Handlebars which are adjustable

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-143-handlebar-height-adjustment-front-view.jpg

Power DIN Accessory Socket with waterproof cover. It is located on the right side below the TFT display

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-144-power-din-accessory-socket-waterproof-cover-right-side.jpg

A view of it opened. The size is smaller from the normal cigarette lighter power socket that we Indians are used to. The Germans have been using this DIN/Hella standard right since WW2 and they contend that it has a more secure design than the floppy cigarette lighter one. Anyways this will cause us to change our currently used USB converters for the same. Another expense! But this is directly linked to the CAN bus with Single Wire System (SWS) and hence can be used to directly charge the bike battery through this socket and compatible battery charger. I have already ordered the original BMW battery charger for peace of mind.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-145-power-din-accessory-socket-opened-right-side.jpg

A closer look at the Windscreen. It is of high quality and absolutely clear material. Also it is easily removable and replaceable for off-road use.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-146-windscreen.jpg

The Windshield Adjuster Knob. It is turned clockwise to lower the windscreen and anti-clockwise to raise it. I see a 3"-4" movement

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-146_2-windshiled-adjuster-knob.jpg

A look at the side view mirror. Very solid, no vibrations at speed and good angle of vision. Does the job no nonsense.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-147-rear-view-miror-right.jpg

Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir. Again uses the same DOT4 fluid as the front

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-148-rear-brake-fluid-reservoir.jpg

Rear License Plate Bracket

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-149-rear-licence-plate-bracket.jpg

A view of the Rear Mud Guard from the inside.The centre round part is the Rear Wheel Level with Aerial for Emergency Start of the bike with either of Duplicate Plastic Key or Worn Down Keyless Remote. It needs to be touched here physically, so that the aerial can read the transponder code, while switching on the ignition and then starting the bike. This was the acrobatic maneuver I discussed in the earlier post. Lolz.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-150-rear-mud-guard-round-emergency-key-antenna.jpg

The Rear Split Mudguard for protecting the Rear Dynamic ESA electronic parts. Most GS Riders fit additional mudguard parts here to fill this gap which I am planning too for further protection.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-151-rear-split-mudguard.jpg

A closer look at the solid Engine Protection Bar with rubber inserts to protect the Aluminium Cylinder Head Covers in the event of a crash

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-152-engine-protection-bar-right-side.jpg

A view of the Engine Starter Motor and part of the Frame Protectors which are exclusive to the HP Style variant

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-153-engine-starter-motor-right-side.jpg

A closer view of the Exhaust Heat Shield for the exhaust muffler

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-154-exhaust-shield.jpg

A view of the Sound Flap for the Exhaust Muffler

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-155-exhaust-controller-unit.jpg

Under-body Aluminium Bash Plate. Hardcore Off-Road use would require a more robust unit. Also note the Plastic Mud Plate on the centre stand to protect the under-body from slush and grime

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-157-underbody-bash-plate.jpg

More to come...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 17:13.
dkaile is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Tank and Seats

The 'BLUE' Fuel Tank Cover which is removable. Under this sits the air filter up-front which is also user serviceable.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-209-fuel-tank-cover.jpg

A closer view of the 'faux' Grill on the sides. A design element. You can also note the brilliant metallic paint finish on the plastic panels

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-210-fuel-tank-cover-faux-grill-left-side.jpg

The Fuel Lid. This also operates with the Keyless Remote as the Keyless Ride sticker on the fuel lid conveys. As a safety measure the Ignition must be OFF for the fuel lid to be unlocked. So you can never fill up with the bike started. It is a little grumpy to open and requires a technique to close but you soon get the hang of it after 2-3 go's. Also note that I have already attached the required new GIVI Tanklock Adapter Ring on it as I already had the GIVI Tank Bag from my Ninja 1000. More on that later.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-211-fuel-lid.jpg

A closer look at the BMW logo on the opening knob

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-212-bmw-logo-fuel-lid.jpg

In the open position. You can see the keyless latch system up ahead

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-213-fuel-lid-opened-keyless-lock-mechanism-.jpg

The Adventure variant of the 1250GS comes with this special Tank Storage Compartment which is missing on the GS. The space is created due to the humongous 30L fuel tank capacity

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-214-front-stowage-compartment.jpg

GS Logo on the stowage compartment

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-215-gs-logo-stowage-compartment.jpg

Space, though, is limited. Best for a pair Sunglasses or small wallet and ticket holder nick nacks. Note the high quality rubber floor boot inside it which can be removed and washed.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-216-stowage-compartment-opened.jpg

With the Keyless Remote inside to give the idea of the limited space

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-217-key-stored-stowage-compartment-opened.jpg

BMW logo on the stowage compartment latch

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-218-bmw-logo-stowage-compartment-lock.jpg

A view of the removable Air Deflectors which are present on both sides. Provides TOO much wind protection for our Summers. I might remove them till winters.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-220-air-deflector-left.jpg

A view of the GPS Mount provided as Navigation Device Preparation for the Navigator 6 which I have ordered separately. This is a part of the PRO package. The mount has all the wiring already connected to charge and use the Navigator on the go from handlebar controls.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-221-gps-navigation-mount.jpg

Single Key System Key Slot for the GPS Mount

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-221_1-gps-navigation-mount-lock.jpg

With the Flip Key to open/close and securely install the Navigator which can be kept installed at all times or taken out and used in your car etc.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-222-gps-navigation-mount-lock-key.jpg

The 2-up separate SEATS. Quite comfortable on the limited time I have spent on it.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-224-seat.jpg

GS logo on the rear seat. A close look at the waterproof vinyl material used.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-225-gs-logo-rear-seat.jpg

Key slot to open us the seats. Turn the key backwards to open and pull up the rear seat and forward for the front seat. Each seat can be removed or installed independently.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-226-seat-key-opening.jpg

With Single key flip key in the slot

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-227-seat-key-opening-key.jpg

The under-seat space after removing the pillion seat. This is where the Denali/Hexcan Cansmart units are usually installed. The Rider's Manuals are stored under the slot below the Tyre Pressure Information sticker that is visible. The Tool Kit is stowed attached by rubber bung under the Pillion Seat

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-228-rear-seat-removed.jpg

A closer look at the Tyre Pressure and Tread Information. Recommended tyre pressure is 36 PSI - Front and 42 PSI - Rear, same as my Ninja 1000.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-229-tyre-pressure-tread-information-under-rear-seat-36-front-42-rear.jpg

Tool Kit attached under the Rear Seat in properly engineered slots. Also note the spare CR2032 battery that I have stored for emergency use with the Keyless Remote. Lolz.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-230-tool-kit-under-rear-seat.jpg

Tool Kit opened up to reveal it's content - 1. Screwdriver Handle which doubles up as the tool to open up the engine oil filler cap 2. Reversible Screwdriver Blade of Philips PH1 and Torx T25 3/4. Open ended spanners 8/10 and 14 and 5. Torx wrench T30

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-231_1-tool-kit-opened.jpg

Both seats removed. Notice the 4 hexagonal slots to remove the side pannier frame which can then be covered up with plastic covers provided separately, as I had mentioned in the Delivery post.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-232-both-seats-removed.jpg

A view under the Front Seat which also hold the Bosch ECU and the Low/High Seat Adjusters at both the front and the rear of the Rider Seat to vary the angle as per comfort and the seat height from 890~910 mm as per various permutations and combinations. Very well engineered again!

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-232_1-front-seat-removed.jpg

The Rear Adjuster at default Low Position

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-233-front-seat-rear-height-adjuster-low-position.jpg

The Rear Adjuster flipped to High Position

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-234-front-seat-rear-height-adjuster-high-position.jpg

And the Front Adjuster at the default Low position

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-235-front-seat-forward-height-adjuster-low-position.jpg

and then flipped over to the High Position

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-236-front-seat-forward-height-adjuster-high-position.jpg

The default seat position at Low for both the adjusters. Highlighted by the arrows.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-237-front-seat-underbelly-expanded-view-both-height-adjusters-low-position.jpg

Load and Speed Information Sticker under the front seat with Panniers installed

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-240-bike-load-information.jpg

More to come...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 19:12.
dkaile is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Battery, Shaft Drive & Display

The Battery is located on the right side of the bike inside the frame below the seat. This is the battery cover held by a single Torx 25 and 2 rubber grommets. Notice part of the Frame Protector is visible which works to save the frame from scuff marks made by riding shoes, a exclusive feature of the HP style variant as I mentioned earlier.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-241-battery-cover.jpg

The Battery Cover removed to reveal the battery held under a further plastic case which needs to be lifted and pushed out to reveal the actual battery. Notice the OBD port that I have marked. Also note that one of the grommets (the top one) gets easily misplaced which I have marked with the arrow. As you can see that this one has slipped out behind and then fell inside the wiring behind and I had a tough time locating it and pulling it out with a pair of tweezers. These were subsequently greased with high temperature grease so that they do not stick with the plastic cover pins and get pulled in or out. Also visible are the Positive Battery Terminal with the round red plastic cover on top and the Negative terminal, to attach any optional accessories directly, like I will be doing with Denali Soundbomb relay wiring subsequently. To be discussed later.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-242-battery-cover-removed.jpg

This is the actual battery that was installed in my bike at delivery. It's a BMW branded unit made by Exide Technologies, Germany and is 12V 12Ah AGM unit. Thank God it was not a Lithium Ion one which I later found out was an optional extra. That has been having very bad reviews abroad due to it's cold weather functioning. This AGM unit can easily last 5 years if properly cared for. Also this Exide Technologies has no relations with the Exide we have in India. In fact they were in a long drawn legal battle over the trade name which was finally settled with the original Exide Technologies getting royalty for it's brand name being used in India but it could not enter or sell their products in Indian market directly. Hence it is limited to these direct import units.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-242_1-battery-bmw-exide-12v-12ah.jpg

The OBD Port and wire released from it's holder

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-243-obd-port-besides-battery.jpg

The Battery cover ready to be re-attached after greasing and reattaching the fallen rubber grommet

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-243_1-battery-cover-reinstalled-after-greasing-bushings.jpg

Now the Horn is a weak link on any stock bike. It is located on the front right side of the bike under the side beak fairing. I will soon be replacing it with a louder Denali Soundbomb unit that I have imported from Nippy Normans, UK at a cost of 8k for a complete set with mounts, relay harness, BMW canbus adapter etc. More on that later. Here is the wiring of the horn that I discovered for reference. The Brown wire is the negative in all German products and the Green/White wire is the positive.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-244-horn-wiring-greenwhite-positive-brown-negative.jpg

A closer view of the famed BMW Shaft Drive

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-245-rear-shaft-drive.jpg

and the Rubber Boot which needs to be removed and the bevel gears need to be greased with lithium grease. A simple job once you know how to do it.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-246-rear-shaft-drive-rubber-boot-greasing-bevel-gears.jpg

The Oil Filler Nut up top on the Shaft Drive/Rear Axle Differential. It takes 180ml of 70W80/Hypoid axle G3 gear oil and needs to be replaced every year. BMW charges exorbitantly for this simple job.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-247-rear-shaft-drive-oil-filling-opening-torq-nut-180ml-.jpg

And this is Shaft Drive Oil Drain plug below the shaft drive

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-248-rear-shaft-drive-oil-drain-plug.jpg

---------------------

DISPLAY

The 6.5" TFT Display Screen, right now on the default main screen. I have already elaborated the specs in previous posts.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-300-tft-display-main-screen-291kms-18082020.jpg

It can also be ridden on this My Vehicle Screen which also shows all required parameters like Speed, Fuel Level (customisable info), Gear Indicator, Riding Mode, Odometer, Engine Oil Temperature and Level, Live feed from Tyre Pressure Monitoring, Battery Voltage and Distance to Empty. Plus your Phone Battery Level, Network Strength, Time, Outside Ambient Temperature etc.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-304-tft-display-my-vehicle-main-screen.jpg

Plus there are multiple On Board Computer and Trip Meter Displays

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-305-tft-display-board-computer.jpg

A specific screen just for Tyre Pressure Monitoring along with Specifications

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-307-tft-display-tyre-presure-monitoring-screen.jpg

Plus you can connect it to the BMW Motorrad App on your phone for even more detailed information like Lean Angles, Trip Maps, Navigation access, Media and 10's of other small things. The phone is auto detected after initial pairing and the App is also auto started.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-309-tft-display-bmw-motorrad-app.jpg

Then there is detailed SETTINGS screen for tens of customisations

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-312-tft-display-settings-screen.jpg

You can set Target Tyre Pressure (RDC) Warning on or off for off-road usage

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-313-tft-display-tyre-presure-monitoring-rdc-settings.jpg

The Time can be set to GPS Syncronisation!

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-314-tft-display-date-time-settings-gps-synchronisation.jpg

Connections Screen for Phone and Rider and Passenger Bluetooth Devices. I even synced my Samsung Bluetooth Headsets without issues for playing Media and receiving Phone Calls.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-315-tft-display-connections-settings.jpg

The Status Line Content can be customised as to which options to display or not from -
1. Fuel Tank Level
2. Total Distance (Odometer)
3. Trip 1
4. Trip 2
5. Average Consumption 1

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-317-tft-display-status-line-content-1.jpg

6. Average Consumption 2
7. Riding Time 1
8. Riding Time 2
9. Break 1
10. Break 2

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-318-tft-display-status-line-content-2.jpg

11. Average Speed 1
12. Average Speed 2
13. Tyre Pressure

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-319-tft-display-status-line-content-3.jpg

The Hill Start Control (HSC) can be switched on or manual or auto. I have kept it at Manual as I feel Auto is too intrusive.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-320-tft-display-hill-start-control-hsc-settings.jpg

It is updated to the latest software version (022_005_041) as I mentioned earlier

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-321-tft-display-software-version-022_005_041.jpg

A view of the Navigation Screen. It is basic with turn by turn directions. Map View comes up on the optional Navigator that will be installed separately.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-322-tft-display-navigation-screen.jpg

With the Media Screen playing music. You can control the volume and move forward or reverse via the Jog Dial on the handlebar controls. Also note the Speed Limit being displayed on this screen of 30 in a Red Circle. this can be turned on or off according to your liking and it auto detects this via the Navigation App.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-324-tft-display-media-playing.jpg

Phone Book can be displayed, scrolled, call history etc. via Jog Dial

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-325-tft-display-phone-book-display.jpg

Phone Screen showing that the call can be received or rejected and call volume can be adjusted again via the Jog Dial

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-326-tft-display-incoming-call-display.jpg

More to come...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 20:34.
dkaile is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 21:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Now coming to the Actual Riding Experience -

The BMW R1200GS brand has a tremendous legacy and reputation to live upto. Whereas it has done millions of kms across the globe, it also has had it's fair share of problems and issues. I just hope this revised R1250GS Adventure lives up to the hype. The short time I rode it, I felt it is now having a Track Bike Performance but with Santa Claus clothing. It's 0-100kmph figures are even better than my Ninja 1000 and I FELT it immediately. This Shift Cam technology is so seamless that it is no surprise that even the die hard critics are calling it one of the best VVT's as on date in the world. BMW arrived pretty late to the VVT party but By Joe, did it impress!

So let me cover a few things that I found in these few days with the bike -

Engine - It is now quite different in feel from the the previous 1200's due to this new Shift Cam tech launched in late 2018. The bike is loaded with all imaginable current technologies that even I will take a few months to discover them all. The initial torque (143 Nm at 6250 rpm) of the Twin Boxer Unit cannot be matched by the in-line 4 though in the quarter mile it will be beaten. I have already detailed the specifications in the previous posts so I don't need to repeat it. But BMW always claims that their Horses (136 hp at 7750 rpm to be precise) are the actual true ones and always feel more than that of a similar speced competition. The engine heat is manageable as it gets a lot of air up front to cool it immediately helped further by the integrated liquid cooling now employed since the past few years. It crosses 100kmph around 3k rpm and we are supposed to keep it below 5k for the initial break-in period of 1000kms. Though as I mentioned earlier, it is very hard to stop yourself and I did a few short burst over 6k. The bike is capable of top speeds over 235kmph. I did feel that this engine has got a lot more engine braking than a inline 4. The engine oil grade required is 4L with filter change of 5W40 API SL MA2 grade. The service interval is 10k kms or every year after the initial break-in. I have no complaints till now and I presume it will only smoothen out further in the future.

Gearbox - It is butter smooth. I have not used the quick shifter till now as it is a learning curve for conventional riders like me. The gearing is taller in every gear in comparison to my Ninja 1000 and more in line with the touring nature of the bike.

Clutch - The hydraulic clutch is a first for me and it is super light. Again no issues. Light and responsive. The levers as I mentioned are adjustable for reach according to the size of one's hands.

Suspension and Wheels - Like I said before, this is the best riding bike I have encountered in my life till now. I have already elaborated on the Telelever and Paralever suspensions quite a bit earlier. The Wire Spoked wheels are a delight to ride as well as to look at in their bright yellow shade. Though there have been few instances of even these bending on our pot holed highways that I have heard about. Fingers crossed on that end. Will have to wait and see how it copes with our actual riding conditions.

Handling and Ride Quality - The tyres are very grippy. Even on heavy cornering they held the line well which I was not expecting from a 80:20 tyre. Yet to face any issue with ground clearance and neither do I expect to face that on this bike. Ride quality as I mentioned is excellent.

Braking - Even better than my Ninja 1000 which were quite impressive to begin with.

Ergonomics - I found the ergonomics to be spot on for my height (5'11"~6') and weight (83 kgs). The stance is upright and comfortable for easily covering 100's of kms per day. The bike is so easy to stand and ride as I mentioned that it was almost unbelievable for me at first seeing the girth of the bike. But the legs grab the tank so well that it leads me to believe in the excellent engineering in play. The seats are much more comfortable than my Ninja 1000 and I am satisfied with them for now.

Extra Storage - As I mentioned that I have ordered the full pannier set and top box in black aluminium and would see how that affects the rideability and ergonomics.

Accessories Update -

I yesterday received the Rain Cover from BMW @5500/- (No discounts on this). Yet to try it on.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_20-accessories.jpg

I had also ordered the required GIVI Tanklock Adapter Ring from Bike'n'Biker Bangalore @1399/- + shipping which I received very quickly and fitted.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_21-accessories.jpg

The part# for the 1250GS Adventure is different from the 1250GS due to the stowage compartment up front ahead of the fuel lid and it is BF17.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_22-accessories.jpg

Here it is fitted in a few minutes

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_23-accessories.jpg

No issues opening the Storage compartment with this attached which many people face due to using the GS adapter

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_24-accessories.jpg

Here it is with my Givi Tank Bag ST602 which I had purchased from Australia for my Ninja 1000, attached. Does not touch the tank anywhere and remains absolutely stable at speeds.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_25-accessories.jpg

Top view with the Tank Bag attached to the bike

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-1_26-accessories.jpg

So it's time to say good bye for now.

BMW R1250GS Adventure Pro MY2020 - Style HP - The Comprehensive Review-330-ride-09082020.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2020 at 21:53.
dkaile is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 22:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Your smile says it all! Congrats and wish you thousands of miles of happy ownership!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th August 2020 at 22:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 23:18   #13
BHPian

Wow! Such detailed write up 😃
I haven't finished writing my ownership review in 2.5 years and 22000 kms! Very well written.
Congrats on getting the best bike money can buy. I hope to see you soon on one of the adventures. Safe riding!
nitrogary is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 03:58   #14
BHPian

Congrats dkaile on your dream bike. And thanks for taking the time and effort for sharing such a super detailed ownership starting review.

I have been following your wonderful journey with various bikes and subsequent upgrades and its has been an absolute treat every time.

Ride safe and wishing you many many miles of happy smiles with the GS
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 09:54   #15
BHPian

Congrats dkaile on your wonderful purchase, she is one beast of a bike no doubt. Probably the most intimidating one on road in India.

Really good to see the outcome of the GS vs GSA thread come to fruition.

Love the HP colorscheme on these and like you said the brushed aluminium finish would have been epic but then it'snot available, I think they do not provide even the murdered out black color scheme for the GSA in India which is a shame.
The number of pics in the thread was a treat too.

One query though, did you try to manuvere the bike with a full tank. Does it bring a very noticible difference post that ? Recently saw a video where the person was saying that most GSA owners don't fill the tank up with riding with the kit/pannier setup because the weight becomes too much to handle. Honestly I felt then what was the need of such a big tank, felt a bit counter intutive.

Wishing you many many more miles with the bike.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks