Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 14:47   #256
BANNED

re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
I think you should TD the new Fortuner. I recently did a 8 day trip thru Himachal in a 4X4 Fortuner and did not find any thing wrong with its ride quality. The ride is firm, yes but not bumpy and harsh as its made out to be on various forums.
Naah, I do not want to TD it again, after TDing it multiple times, and yes, it was the 2012 model that I TDed.
Also, I will not pay 27.5lac OTR Blore for those interiors, that truck like gear lever, that low seating position and super thin paint surfaces that it has. To me, it is one more example of Toyota milking its customers in India, blatantly.

People may throng for it in droves but it doesn't appeal to me anymore, unless, like I ve said earlier, I get a deal that is a steal.

Last edited by n.devdath : 1st November 2012 at 14:48.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 15:00   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
To me, it is one more example of Toyota milking its customers in India, blatantly.

People may throng for it in droves but it doesn't appeal to me anymore, unless, like I ve said earlier, I get a deal that is a steal.
Its funny you mention this because I had the exact same opinion as you, of the company and this vehicle before I did this trip. But I guess living with the vehicle for that week changed my view of the world. At the end of the day it comes down to how much / for what purpose the vehicle will be used and ofcourse the VFM factor. Good luck with the hunt!
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:02   #258
BHPian

you mean there is a 30% difference between Ex Showroom and OTR in bangalore ?
Wow thats high. i thought it was 16-20% !
Old 4th November 2012, 01:07   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter
you mean there is a 30% difference between Ex Showroom and OTR in bangalore ?
Wow thats high. i thought it was 16-20% !
20% is only the road tax. In addition, you need to add education cess, surcharge, and insurance costs as well, taking the cost much higher.
Old 7th December 2012, 13:37   #260
BHPian

Quote:
20% is only the road tax. In addition, you need to add education cess, surcharge, and insurance costs as well, taking the cost much higher.
So what did you finally do Devdath? Any decisions made?
Old 7th December 2012, 16:27   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are open to used, a pre-worshipped E60 525d could be yours for about the same / lesser $$$ than a new VW Jetta TDI.
This post of yours got me thinking Rush.

If I were to let go of the urge to own a 4WD SUV and settle for a sedan, do you think I could pick up one of those Beemers and use it as my "only" car for all my travels to the extent possible?

In other words, can a pre owned 5 Series be used like Anshuman uses his Laura and if the answer is yes, how expensive would be its service costs compared to, say, a Laura again?
Old 7th December 2012, 16:54   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This post of yours got me thinking Rush.

If I were to let go of the urge to own a 4WD SUV and settle for a sedan, do you think I could pick up one of those Beemers and use it as my "only" car for all my travels to the extent possible?

In other words, can a pre owned 5 Series be used like Anshuman uses his Laura and if the answer is yes, how expensive would be its service costs compared to, say, a Laura again?
Being used to an SUV, you can use a 5 series to many places you would take your SUV, but not without a lot of headaches.

Firstly, finding a good condition 5 series at a good price will be tough. Secondly most likely the BSI would have run out or be on its last stages. Thirdly you have to be much more careful over bad roads in a Bimmer than in your Scorpio. Fourthly you will have to worry about where you park your car, even something like a broken mirror will cost 20k-ish or more. Fifthly the service cost per service will be 25-30k if no BSI is left, and this is for a regular service. If parts have to be changed this can double easily. Then if you use it on a highway a lot you will have to buy a spare tyre too.

I'm not going to be stupid and say "oh the driving pleasure will be so good you will forget about all of these issues." but what I suggest is you look a maybe a 3 series which was more recently produced. Service and spares cost will be a little lower, and it will attract a bit less attention. But you still get the driving pleasure. Something like this maybe, I'm sure you could get it for below 20 -
http://www.carwale.com/used/cardetails.aspx?car=D396320

And WRT to the way anshuman uses his Laura, I don't suggest you take any BMW sedan to Ladakh. The Laura is a bit more practical that way, and a little less delicate.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 17:01   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Being used to an SUV, you can use a 5 series to many places you would take your SUV, but not without a lot of headaches.
So all in all, you do not recommend it due to the many reasons you explained.

The 3 doesn't appeal to me for reasons of size, cabin space and the fact that it feels like a basic BMW. It is the 5 which pulls me to it, but I guess, it is not practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And WRT to the way anshuman uses his Laura, I don't suggest you take any BMW sedan to Ladakh. The Laura is a bit more practical that way, and a little less delicate.
And was imagining doing a "Transporter" with a pre owned 5.
Old 7th December 2012, 17:05   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So all in all, you do not recommend it due to the many reasons you explained.

The 3 doesn't appeal to me for reasons of size, cabin space and the fact that it feels like a basic BMW. It is the 5 which pulls me to it, but I guess, it is not practical.

And was imagining doing a "Transporter" with a pre owned 5.
Well its not that I don't recommend it. I think the E60 was a great car, but as long as you are ready to face the issues I told you about, then go right ahead.

See you can use a 5 as your everyday car, but then your usage is going to have to change dramatically. Its just not possible to use it the same way as you use your Scorp.

Check out 320d Highlines in that case.
Old 11th December 2012, 10:28   #265
BANNED

***Out goes my BMW dream***

Reason:

I called the local BMW workshop and here is an estimate of the upkeep costs for a Sep 2011 520D that I had kind of fallen for.

General service cost: (Engine Oil, filter, air filter and ac filter) every 15000kms: INR 23000.00.

I could live with this

Brake pads: to be replaced every 30000kms: Front set (both wheels) 15000 INR and rear (both wheels) 11000 INR.

By now, I was like

Suspension Overhaul: Required/estimated every 40000kms:

Front: INR 29000 per wheel.
Rear: INR 26000 per wheel.

This was the final nail.

So, it is back to Indians and Japanese again. Jai Hind..!!, Kanzen shouri..
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 21:02   #266
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Pajero but that was more by heart than anything else and I guess that is how you would make your final decision.

Frankly a new Scorpio 4X4 or Safari Storme 4x4 or XUV AWD or Aria AWD will always be cheaper to maintain over the next say 5 years due to their inherent 4 year warranty (including the extended warranty).

Also the Yeti due to its better space packaging would be quite comparable to the Pajero on the inside (which frankly like the Scorpio is not packaged that well on the inside.)

The Fortuner is indeed overpriced both new and preowned but will be cheapest to maintain (though not if one considers the total value/return on of the extra money we spend on buying it)

XUV or Storme or Yeti is the way I would really suggest you move.
Old 11th December 2012, 22:18   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
***Out goes my BMW dream***

Reason:

I called the local BMW workshop and here is an estimate of the upkeep costs for a Sep 2011 520D that I had kind of fallen for.

General service cost: (Engine Oil, filter, air filter and ac filter) every 15000kms: INR 23000.00.

I could live with this

Brake pads: to be replaced every 30000kms: Front set (both wheels) 15000 INR and rear (both wheels) 11000 INR.

By now, I was like

Suspension Overhaul: Required/estimated every 40000kms:

Front: INR 29000 per wheel.
Rear: INR 26000 per wheel.

This was the final nail.

So, it is back to Indians and Japanese again. Jai Hind..!!, Kanzen shouri..
Alternatives are there buddy, don't loose your heart(believe it or not, we Indians live by it :-)). All the said maintaince can be undertaken at friendly workshop equipped with right set of tools and parts, one with prior experience handling german cars. Believe me, there are many of them.. You just need to locate one you are comfortable with.

Also, i bileve the said maintainence cost will decrease significantly if a 320d is considered.
Old 11th December 2012, 22:50   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Frankly a new Scorpio 4X4 or Safari Storme 4x4 or XUV AWD or Aria AWD will always be cheaper to maintain over the next say 5 years due to their inherent 4 year warranty (including the extended warranty).
The Storme and the XUV AWD are the prime contenders at the moment followed by the Pajero Sport. Everything else is out of consideration, well, almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Also the Yeti due to its better space packaging would be quite comparable to the Pajero on the inside.
The Yeti is out due to three reasons.
1. Road presence.
2. Luggage space not as much as my current ride.
3. No road presence.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:30   #269
Team-BHP Support

Why even bother with what other think? The Yeti is a brilliant Car and shall do most things you want in comfort (save for the hard ride) & style.

In case you want road presence (for what?) go the full Monty, stretch a bit & get the Pajero Sports.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:43   #270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why even bother with what other think? The Yeti is a brilliant Car and shall do most things you want in comfort (save for the hard ride) & style.

In case you want road presence (for what?) go the full Monty, stretch a bit & get the Pajero Sports.
I do want presence Sheel. Call me a showoff or whatever, but I want the only car in my garage to look imposing, on the move, and when standing.

In addition to presence, I want 7 seats, even if the last row is like the Safari's, a namesake.
I have had, and continue to have occasions where I seat 7 people in Hariya for short and medium (around 100kms round trip) and will not compromise on this aspect.

Coming to the Monty, ah, that is the vehicle of my dreams. 3.2 ltr diesel, 5 speed automatic, proper 4WD, prolly the world's best monocoque...the list is endless.

Last edited by n.devdath : 12th December 2012 at 12:50. Reason: Spelling correction.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks