Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 00:04   #76
BHPian

Overdrive switch is in most automatics, to switch on / off the overdrive mode. e.g. in Santro AT, earlier Corolla ( pre Altis) - we have 4 gears including 4th being OD. when you switch it off, car runs in upto 3rd gear- preventing switiching to OD gear. There are two more positions 2 & 1 where you can slot the lever and it will prevent the gears from upshifting to saty in the required power band.

Tiptronics like Laura have manual modes & S mode where in gears can be manually changed (or as in S mode- programmed in such way that upshift happens at redline / peak rpm / pre-programmed rpm (power band) to ensure power delivery) -to specific level through stalk or paddle shifts as may be available.

Not much idea about the Scoprio AT, but it should have Brog warner , electric shifters to enagage 4*4 as available in VLX 4WD and 6 speed AT with M- mountain and W or S - probably for Snow/ winter conditions. Since, there are no ownership threads as yet nor any cars available in any showroom - so we will have to wait and watch- whats in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
In Scorp, 'D' is for normal driving and 'M' (it is not 'S') is when transmission shifts to next gear after almost redlining in current gear. The idea is to use 'M' if you want to either rip the car or in the mountains (more likely scenario that former).

Now, I haven't driven endeavour AT but the way you have described overdrive switch, it sounds like tiptronic. Usually overdrive in the traditional AT was used on highways for better mileage. I haven't seen realistic usages of 1, 2 & 3 on AT cars, at least when I drove them in US. It is possible that they have applications in certain situations but I am not aware of it.

BTW, 'D' on Scorpio behaves in very weird way. It works well only if you accelerate gently. If you press the gas hard during the start, there is a lag. Also, the engine upshifts a bit too quickly IMO. However there aren't many choices when it comes to 4x4 AT.

Last edited by shatrughna : 25th October 2009 at 00:13.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

shatrughna, was aware that you were looking for a vehicle post your scorpio loss to thieves.

congratulations for booking the vehicle ans becoming the first bhpian to book it. what is the expected delivery date ? what is the cost and are you getting extended warranty on this one ?

I checked with one dealer here, they claimed they got mail from Mahindra about the vehicle, with only 2 colors (white/black) and order against full amount (which I rubbished). Had asked him to forward that mail, which he hasnt done till now.

How will this vehicle perform on decent hilly drives ? Leh Ladakh routes , or snow areas ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 25th October 2009 at 00:32.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Click on "Buy Scorpio" and then click on the price at the top. It is working fine for me. See the attached pics

Attachment 214244

Attachment 214245
I am still seeing the repititive prices- wonder whats the problem with my browser.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio VLX A/T 4WD - anyone got it?-scorpion.jpg  

Old 25th October 2009, 00:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

i think their site is not yet tested on ie8. use ie8 in compatible mode (the button next to refresh n close on the address bar) or use firefox, chrome etc.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:51   #80
BHPian

Thanks tanwaramit. Precisely the reaon why I was looking for a 4WD- Leh Ladakh routes. AT because mostly I will be driving around Mumbai- for convenience in city drives. I am sure with the good reviews on reliability front- this should be able to do well. while it will have its own disadvantages being AT- it will have advantages too. People have driven on these routes even in Alto and Maruti 800s. Scorpio are frequent sights rather than a rarity on those roads as reported in reviews. It should do well. It has just one drawback as compared to other SUVs an that is its low ground clearance- approx. 180 mm as compared to 205 mm of safari and sometimes the potholed/ broken roads and rough patches do pose some problems due to a lower gc but I am sure , it will be as much fun as its MT breed.

And sorry mods- I am just not able to multiquote or use this feature so replying separately.
Please, merge if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
I am still seeing the repititive prices- wonder whats the problem with my browser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
shatrughna, was aware that you were looking for a vehicle post your scorpio loss to thieves.

congratulations for booking the vehicle ans becoming the first bhpian to book it. what is the expected delivery date ? what is the cost and are you getting extended warranty on this one ?

I checked with one dealer here, they claimed they got mail from Mahindra about the vehicle, with only 2 colors (white/black) and order against full amount (which I rubbished). Had asked him to forward that mail, which he hasnt done till now.

How will this vehicle perform on decent hilly drives ? Leh Ladakh routes , or snow areas ?
Old 25th October 2009, 00:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am just not able to multiquote or use this feature so replying separately.
Must be the joys of Win 7 & IE. Check out firefox and see if that works.
Old 25th October 2009, 01:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks tanwaramit. Precisely the reaon why I was looking for a 4WD- Leh Ladakh routes.
yup, same here. Considering that you will get your scorpio delivered around last week of Dec, when do you intend to take it to these places ?

I remember one blog ( not on tbhp) of one person taking his family of 4 to Leh Ladakh etc in his santro and how they drove, by walking sometimes and driver alone driving to manage GC on big rocky roads. Scorpio will do quite well here.

Cant wait to see this car now. Please share whatever new updates you get of the same.
Old 25th October 2009, 01:35   #83
BHPian

AT modes in Scorpio AT

Sure tanwaramit. I expect no update from M&M till next 4-5 weeks other than ( hopefully) price and options like color and seating arrangement which obviously I need to know at the earliest - before they start assembling the kits. As far as trip to Leh is concerned- there is a forum on yahoo group and first time, I intend to join the group. It may plan something in the next summer holidays as Sept trip too is over. Never know, we have may a group of excited TBHPians too sooner to undertake some trip.

I dont intend to go serious offroading on weekends. 4X4 is desired only for being on the safer side in case , need arises, ever.

Got some info from brochure as available on website about the AT modes copied and pasted from pdf file , hence, fonts are odd (sorry)

User Engaged Modes
Normal Mode ‘N’ – for ordinary driving conditions
Winter Mode ‘W’ – for stability on ice or slippery roads
Manual/Engine Brake Mode ‘M’ – utilises engine braking for bettercontrol on steep descents

Auto Engaged Modes
Uphill and Downhill Modes – the control unit auto-implements the relevant gear shifts
Fast-Off Mode – avoids rapid gear shifts in case of quick pedal release

Safety Features
Overheat protection – in case of overheating due to malfunction
Reverse Lock Out – locks the reverse drive till predefined safety conditions are met
Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) – prevents the gear lever from coming out of ‘Park’ (P) position unless the brake pedal is depressed

Seems to be reasonably good and capable.

Quote:
Overdrive switch is in most automatics, to switch on / off the overdrive mode. e.g. in Santro AT, earlier Corolla ( pre Altis) - we have 4 gears including 4th being OD. when you switch it off, car runs in upto 3rd gear- preventing switiching to OD gear. There are two more positions 2 & 1 where you can slot the lever and it will prevent the gears from upshifting to saty in the required power band.
Quote:

Not much idea about the Scoprio AT, but it should have Brog warner , electric shifters to enagage 4*4 as available in VLX 4WD and 6 speed AT with M- mountain and W or S - probably for Snow/ winter conditions. Since, there are no ownership threads as yet nor any cars available in any showroom - so we will have to wait and watch- whats in the store.

Last edited by shatrughna : 25th October 2009 at 01:48. Reason: fonts and format corrections
Old 25th October 2009, 01:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be reasonably good and capable.
yup, have been reading ownership thread by Mohnish, seems impressive. need to check on 4x4 on that AT box. lately Mohnish also confirmed anti roll back feature on this car.

also hope, you managed to open that page better.
Old 25th October 2009, 07:39   #85
Senior - BHPian

OT: I could do multiple quotes / quote+ with Win7 and IE8. Just FYI in case you want to check some settings or alternate setup.
Old 25th October 2009, 08:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Can you check for the pricing page on mahindrascorpio.com ? Is that opening as the screenshot attached by Shatrughna ?
Old 27th October 2009, 08:42   #87
BHPian

OT : The script is still not working fine. The never ending drop down list as attached in the screen shot earlier is still there. Nevertheless, it gives a fair idea.

Quote:
Can you check for the pricing page on mahindrascorpio.com ? Is that opening as the screenshot attached by Shatrughna ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
OT: I could do multiple quotes / quote+ with Win7 and IE8. Just FYI in case you want to check some settings or alternate setup.
Quote:

Based on the inputs from Hondadude referring to a response from a Bangalore dealer, I had enquired about Java brown and captain seat options being available.

Here is an excerpt of an email ( response) that I got from the company thru their showroom staff.

Before our Refresh in March, we used to offer VLX Automatic with 4wd. Post Refresh, based on demand from areas, we are again introducing it- strictly in 2 colors only- Fiery Black & Diamond White- only in regular 7 seater sidefacing option. Its made -to- order being a niche product, we wont be entertaining any queries for supply in any other colour/ sea combination.

No micro-hybrid option ( as its not applicable to the AT ). Estimated price in Mumbai Ex- showroom is around 11 Lakhs. Please, wait for confirmations.

Quote:
Absolutely! I have been pestering a couple of dealers about details (colors, seat configs etc) since morning. In all probability, will book it tomorrow.
Quote:
Just found out that if we book today, we will get the delivery in Dec last week or Jan first week. So, if you want to be the first BHPian to own it in 2010, you should book now

Three colors, Black, White and Java Brown. Only 7 seaters (both Captain chairs and other option available).
Thanks SS-traveller. Its because of your post that I sprung into action. The mail also confirms that they were offering this AT 4wd configuration in pre-refresh model which perhaps very few people are aware of and definitely not the dealers that I was enquiring with.
No ideas about freebies and we can forget any discounts on this version. In any case, Mahindra dealers do give some standard kits for "pooja" at the time of delivery which may include idol, shani-yantra, dhoop, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The first mHawk 4WD A/T booked on T-BHP - congratulations! You should be able to get the captain's seat (CC) configuration 7-seater (my manual shift mHawk 4WD has it), but no MicroHybrid - apparently M&M has not developed a system yet to configure with A/T. No discounts either, but you can definitely ask the dealer for small freebies like footmats, gear lock (is there a compatible model of gear lock for the A/T??)/steering lock and perfume bottle. I was told delivery in 6 weeks, but finally got it in 10.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

something is better than nothing for discounts.

If nothing else, then atleast the pujari and perfume etc still is good.

This is news for me to hear that Scorpio was available in 4WD with AT box. Why didnt they disclose its price on the site if it was indeed available.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:29   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on the inputs from Hondadude referring to a response from a Bangalore dealer, I had enquired about Java brown and captain seat options being available.

Here is an excerpt of an email ( response) that I got from the company thru their showroom staff.

Before our Refresh in March, we used to offer VLX Automatic with 4wd. Post Refresh, based on demand from areas, we are again introducing it- strictly in 2 colors only- Fiery Black & Diamond White- only in regular 7 seater sidefacing option. Its made -to- order being a niche product, we wont be entertaining any queries for supply in any other colour/ sea combination.
Damn! Even yesterday these guys told me the availability of Java Brown and Captain seats. I called the dealership again and they said that they confirmed after talking to the area sales office. I asked them to forward me an e-mail from Mahindra if the these configs are available.

One thing that I fail to understand is that if this config is made-to-order, it should in fact be easier to customize the vehicle to customer's preferences. It is not like they are going to run a batch of 1000 vehicles and they want to make the process more efficient
Old 27th October 2009, 12:30   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...only in regular 7 seater sidefacing option.
That's correct. For the mHawk 4WD AT, M&M has sent out a clear directive to all its dealers and regional offices saying they are not to entertain any query regarding seating/colour option other than that which is being offered. However, you can do the adjustment with the dealer, by buying 2 captain's seats and installing them in the middle, shifting the 3-seater bench to the back, and allowing the dealer to buy back the side-facing jump seats at the rear at a discounted price. The mounting points for all the seats exist anyway, and it will not require modifications.

Since the vehicle is registered only as a 7-seater, without mention of seat configuration on the Form 32 that is submitted to the RTO, your changeover to CC config will continue to be legal.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed