Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2013, 16:09   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre Owned Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
i am thinking to wait for 3-4 months now and then get a 2.2l 2008 which i would get probably at 2.5-3.0 .
If you can, keep looking.

But .. a 2005 3.0, running 1.28L, is quoted at 3 lakhs. How will you get a 2008, 2.2L for 3.0L ? Either one of these set of numbers is not right.
Old 8th December 2013, 16:14   #317
BHPian

Re: Pre Owned Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you can, keep looking.

But .. a 2005 3.0, running 1.28L, is quoted at 3 lakhs. How will you get a 2008, 2.2L for 3.0L ? Either one of these set of numbers is not right.
My apologies, i got it incorrect. it should be 3.5 - 4.0 lacs mark. This will also give me time to save some more money.

thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:06   #318

Such an Old Safari? Am I Being Pessimistic?

This is something that I truly believe requires the patrons on this forum to be totally and brutally honest. Please don't hold back.
My younger bro has taken a fancy to SUVs like many of his friends. We have outrightly said 'No' to buying anything new since the family already owns a hatch and a sedan. Now, through his rather suspicious research, he has unearthed a "good" deal. The deal is:
  • A 2000 Tata Safari Model.
  • Mileage around 80K.
  • Price around 1.5.
The family selling the vehicle seems to be trustworthy though we don't really know them.

It seems his decision is being driven by the fact that we won't have to shell out much. However, I have some rather serious, borderline nightmarish, doubts about this option:
  • Such an old Safari?
  • Did the earlier Safaris even have nifty power steering, at par with contemporary vehicles? I have seen Bro drive our Swift. I wouldn't bet my money on reaching home safe if I was seated next to him.
  • Wouldn't the maintenance cost be high? I am supposing lots of tweaking and tuning, basically garage work that we don't really understand.

Am I overreacting or is this an already-wrecked option?

Just blast your opinion!! Let politeness take a backseat here so that He can see the feedback!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2014 at 21:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed. Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:55   #319
BHPian

Re: Such an Old Safari? Am I Being Pessimistic?

Actually, even i get these ideas quite often. The old safari, pre-V2 indicas and early model sumos were not in any way reliable or refined or particularly driver oriented. But, the crude and unrefined nature coupled with niggling issues actually make them interesting. I was evaluating the purchase of a 96 Sumo, but it did not materialize.

Anyways coming back to the topic, Early model safaris where known to be totally troublesome and my neighbourhood mechanic has repeatedly asked me to stay away from safaris, even relatively new ones. The decision mainly has to be taken based on the time available to be allocated for repairs( which would be quite high) .
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:56   #320
BHPian

My suggestion to your brother will be to stay away from such a deal. A fourteen year old car with 80,000kms on ODO will ensure that he becomes the brand ambassadors of the workshop he will choose for repairs. The car will be due for re-registration next year. This will mean another expense coming your way.

Do not get tempted by the price as the vehicle has already lived its life.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:59   #321
BHPian

We learn from our mistakes. It doesn't seem like a very expensive mistake to commit. That and I hope he loves tea. He will be drinking quite a lot of it at the neighborhood garage.

However, getting it checked in a Tata service center and looking at history of the car should give a little predictability on the expenses you may incur in future.
ak916 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 21:59   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
  • Such an old Safari?
  • Did the earlier Safaris even have nifty power steering, at par with contemporary vehicles? I have seen Bro drive our Swift. I wouldn't bet my money on reaching home safe if I was seated next to him.
  • Wouldn't the maintenance cost be high? I am supposing lots of tweaking and tuning, basically garage work that we don't really understand.
Have you driven it ? How did you find it as compared to your Swift ?

It's OLD ! The Safari has now seen 3 newer engines.
The TCIC engine was simple, but Under-powered... just 90 bhp driving a 2+ tonne .. :(

If you dont trust your brother's driving, then do think again. A SUV requires a different approach. And more so the TCIC Safari, due to it's lower power specs.

The parts are fine, but you can expect maintenance. Does it have a full history ?

Last edited by condor : 29th January 2014 at 22:20.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 22:32   #323
Senior - BHPian

If it is being considered just because it is cheap, stay away from this one. It is a decade and a half old, poorly engineered product in the end and at 80,000 kms, will require quite a few major expenses.
If your brother has a budget in mind and a few preferences, do share I'm sure we could help shortlist something else.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 10:28   #324

Thank You folks! Your views resonate with my gut feeling and confirm that I wasn't being paranoid.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:15   #325
NMS
BHPian

Muahahahaha !! Let him buy it if you don't want him driving any more SUV's after that !
On a serious note, I wouldn't plonk my money on such an old Safari by any stretch of imagination. I am sure some more looking around will find him safari's in a better shape and age.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:38   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
This is something that I truly believe requires the patrons on this forum to be totally and brutally honest. Please don't hold back.
My younger bro has taken a fancy to SUVs like many of his friends. We have ...
Just blast your opinion!! Let politeness take a backseat here so that He can see the feedback!!
I was also travelling in the same boat for a friend earlier and below is reply from one of the distinguished member which is helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My View as the owner of a TCIC Safari - 10 years - 175000 kms and also later a 2.2 Aria for 65,000 kms (from the engine prespective).

1) The TCIC - BAD IDEA even for Rs. 2L - is decent but compared to the vehicles today very underpowered for the weight of the vehicle and so I just do not recommend a Safari TCIC today (it was in my view ok to buy even about 4 years back but not today times have moved on). The plastics would be in very bad shape and most TCIC engines that you see would show 120,000 kms plus if there are genunine kms (there can be exceptions but the likely figure is actually 150,000 kms plus). Engine issues should be just round the corner. I replaced the turbo around 150,000 kms and a lots of other stuff as well from 120,000 kms onwards. It is reliable and definately a good engine but everything ages, the internals will be crumbling appart by now, hence a THUMBS DOWN from me.

2) Dicor 3.0 - BAD IDEA - -ves even at 3L - Electricals and interiors though in better condition than in the Safari TCIC will be coming appart by now and there will be increased incidences of failures. Also the Engine was much heavier than the TCIC but did not bring in sufficient increase in power to justify the change. These are know to be unrefined and not too reliable. It was TATA trying out the Dicor black magic for the first time. THUMBS DOWN

3) Safari 2.2 Dicor 2007-2009 - The vehicle is a decent buy between 4-5L but the early Dicors did have issues that were resolved over time. By now the 4 year warranty would be over, but yet if the budget premits no more than these can be considered but to keep spare about Rs. 1L over the next 3 years for maintenance. It may be just 40K that you spend but it could even be 1.5L. OK BUY

4) 2.2 Dicore - 2010-2012 - 5L-8L - GOOD IDEA - There will be issues but most were sorted out before this lot, if you get a good one for about 6-7L it will be worth buying expecially with 2 years of warranty remaining. Go for the GX or the VX. - GOOD BUY

Some more details provided by @(Alok)

SAFARI’s each engine is very different from each other not only in terms of cubic centimeters but many technical aspects.
All models are TCIC (Turbo Charged Inter cooled) but
1. First 1948 CC model runs on IDI ( In Direct Injection technology)
2. 3.0L dicor runs on pushrod technology with a chain driven single OHC
3. 2.2 L dicor runs on timing belt driven DOHC technology

Thanks
zaveed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 12:40   #327
Team-BHP Support

Such an old vehicle.. Well you can run into problems.
But there is a silver lining.
Offer 1.2
If it turns out to be a dud, you can recover close to 80-90K just as the scrap value only.

So take a TD. Check service history and stuff(if any).
If the engine is smooth, brakes work, power steering does not make strange noises, all you will probably need to do is change the belts and stuff(~10K)

A Heavy vehicle does have a good scrap value.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 12:49   #328
Senior - BHPian

For 1.5 Lakhs, Pick up an early bolero. Would offer more peace of mind. Not to mention cheaper spares.
Old 30th January 2014, 14:14   #329
BHPian

I would suggest let him go ahead and buy that. After driving a few days, he would forget owning / driving an SUV forever if that's what you want

On a serious note - just two words -- stay away.
Old 26th March 2014, 01:53   #330

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Hello tbhpians,
Its been a while since i have been looking out for a pre-worshipped SUV With a budget of 4-5Lakhs .Test drove a lot of them.Never came close to liking any of them mostly because they were way out of my budget and a few of them which were very ill maintained .

Had given up on the safari because most of the Safaris(2006-2009) i test drove were really pathetic and had made up this picture in my mind that a used Safari is not worth at all.
Today from a friend ,heard of a safari 2008 GX (2.2 Dicor)done almost 90K.Even though i was very reluctant to go and test drive the same, last minute on my friends request went for the same.
First impressions liked the car and hence took a long test drive.
My observations:-
Exteriors-Lot of scars on the body.the front bumper might even need a repaint.

Interiors-Very neatly maintained.

Techs -Hard clutch,
-Gears were sloppy,
-While attempting an engine brake (5th to 3rd gear)@110kmph the gears did not slot in properly and was slipping (is it because of weak clutch or some gear box issue or my driving??)else it was a very smooth drive.
-Couldn't feel turbo much.Don't know why!
-The indicator switches and the horn was not working.
-Breaks were very precise.(Did try breaking at a speed of 80 to a standstill and yes Really impressed.
-The owner does have a detailed service history,even though the last service was done a year back.
-Found very low levels of engine oil.
-The tyres looked like as if there is still 50% life left in them.The owner told us that they were stock ones.Really confusing stuff for me.Is it possible to maintain tires like that for 90000Kms .If not ,Why is he lying?
-Insurance expiring soon.
-Suspension feels good even though there is a slight "swish" sound from the front left one.

The owner is asking for 4.5Lakhs.
IMHO i feel the car is good.Since its a safari and looking at the Kms done i think 4.5L is a bit too much and soon the insurance,service and tires will cost me close to 50K+.
Of-course i will verify service history and all the credentials at a reputed TATA service station before striking a deal if at all it happens.
Please shed some "Gyan " here.
1.How much should i offer for the car?
2.Which service station(Bangalore)?and what do i ask them for?(just service history or should i ask them to do a complete service for me so that i would know the exact status of the vehicle.)
3.What are the other crucial things i should look for?
4.Timing belt if needs to be replaced,Cost?
5.Would this Safari last me for another 5Years 100000Kms(Long drives)?
Looking forward for some good gyan which would help me decide.

Cheers

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th March 2014 at 07:04. Reason: Only two smileys per post permitted. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks