Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:55   #391
BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Possible or I'd also think that the new owner is taking the Safari to a Neighborhood garage for servicing, such details do not get captured.
This question might apply to used cars in general (I'm in the market for pre-owned 4x4s).

There are a lot of vehicles, especially Safaris, that haven't visited TASS for servicing ever since their warranty expired and when the dealers/sellers are asked about service history, they claim that it was done outside but regularly. Obviously one can't take their word for it.

If you're particular about this issue, is the right strategy to outrightly ignore any Safari that was serviced outside Tata solely because of the lack of documented history?

I understand one can take the car to TASS for a checkup. Do the issues that crop up due to missed/late servicing be picked up during this checkup?
Old 14th March 2016, 23:03   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Hello friends,

Finally my search for a pre-worshipped 4WD safari came to an end 2 months ago. It took me 6 months to track down a well maintained 4WD safari. I saw numerous 2WD safari's but I was specific about my requirement ; a 2.2L safari Dicor 4WD

vehicle details:

2008, single owner Tata Safari 2.2L dicor 4WD, Mineral red colour,VX trim[ABS,airbags,reverse camera etc.]
Congrats.
MRF is a bit noisy. Check for other brands too ( check TSK's thread) if you are into 4x4.

I also would recommend the tuning box from RD.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:27   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking out for a 2008-11 Safari, as high a spec as possible, hoping to catch one between 2-3L. Lot of options available nearer to 2 on quikr etc.
I am sure you gents can help me with various things to check out in the safari. I mean, things not known to general folk. Like I would tell someone buying a fiesta to watch out for the AC in particular. Things like that.

Also, My 2 year old son currently travels very comfortably in the back of a tucson in his child seat. Is the safari as comfortable?
Last time I tried out a safari, The biggest shocker was the HUGE turning circle. Is that an issue? I am coming from a sedan, and a small SUV. The tucson though has a bigger turning radius, but is manageable. I personally feel that whatever are the driving quirks of a car, you eventually adapt so that you don't get into troublesome spots.
Which version should I go for? Is a roof mounted AC an option across models, or is it specced to just the top model? Can it be fitted aftermarket?
ABS/Airbags etc are on which version? I need ABS as a minimum.
My FNG says he can assemble/disassemble a safari in his sleep. I should just get a car with a "straight bodyline", non accidental. Apparently the interiors on a safari deteriorate very quickly, so i should not use that as a criteria to select. And that they can be refitted for a pittance. ALso, he mentioned that I should avoid the 4x4. The 4x2 is good enough, and is easier to maintain. The 4x4 would be a hard find, one, and two, when it costs, it costs muchos.
This will be a daily driver.
Help please.

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd May 2016 at 12:30.
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:02   #394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking out for a 2008-11 Safari, as high a spec as possible, hoping to catch one between 2-3L. Lot of options available nearer to 2 on quikr etc.

Hello,

I don't know if saying this is right but frankly you should avoid the dicor especially when you are coming from a Tucson. The Tucson as far as I know is a fairly reliable reliable car as against the Safari dicor which is associated with niggles.

You can check numerous ownership reviews on the forum itself and see for the niggles and quality related issues faced by the owners. If possible stretch your budget by a lakh or more and get an older innova.

On the other hand why don't you consider a Grand Vitara or a Crv?

Asit
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:11   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello,

I don't know if saying this is right but frankly you should avoid the dicor especially when you are coming from a Tucson. The Tucson as far as I know is a fairly reliable reliable car as against the Safari dicor which is associated with niggles.

You can check numerous ownership reviews on the forum itself and see for the niggles and quality related issues faced by the owners. If possible stretch your budget by a lakh or more and get an older innova.

On the other hand why don't you consider a Grand Vitara or a Crv?

Asit
The Tucson stays. Its the fiesta that may go. Its been around for a long time, still a very perky car, but getting very little usage.Its unfair.
Actually, I was under the impression that the safari is pretty rugged, and can take a lot of abuse. I'll look for the threads you mention, but could you let me know of a few niggles, and I'll see if they're a deal breaker?
This is not a need based buy. Its just an itch from the days of the Marshland ads, and it must be scratched. So, no Innova.
or the others. Plus, a petrol SUV? In this day and age?
In reality, I wanted a Xenon, but they're still too expensive in the used car space.
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:39   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am looking out for a 2008-11 Safari, as high a spec as possible, hoping to catch one between 2-3L. .
Same here Mayankk, I have exactly same requirements as yours. Please do update. On another note, I could not find any ad (on OLX) in this price range. Also, please share the details of your FNG.
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:47   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Same here Mayankk, I have exactly same requirements as yours. Please do update. On another note, I could not find any ad (on OLX) in this price range. Also, please share the details of your FNG.
Oh, where are you based in delhi? Maybe we can harangue a dealer for a two car buy!
The mechanic is in noida, theres a thread running on him, "raj mechanic".
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:54   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Tucson stays. Its the fiesta that may go. Its been around for a long time, still a very perky car, but getting very little usage.Its unfair.
Actually, I was under the impression that the safari is pretty rugged, and can take a lot of abuse. I'll look for the threads you mention, but could you let me know of a few niggles, and I'll see if they're a deal breaker?
This is not a need based buy. Its just an itch from the days of the Marshland ads, and it must be scratched. So, no Innova.
or the others. Plus, a petrol SUV? In this day and age?
In reality, I wanted a Xenon, but they're still too expensive in the used car space.
Most of the non reliable myth of the dicor is just that..a big myth. The basics are robust, by that I mean the engine, gearbox, chassis and the body. The interiors of the dicor are low rent but frankly most suv of that vintage were like that. Turning circle is huge and the suspension was torsion beam and not coil based.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:17   #399
BANNED

Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:

This is thread you should have a look at before taking a final call- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ms-thread.html

I personally feel the 3.0L was better in terms of reliability when compared to the 2.2 dicor.
A very weird observation that I had was that the lx variant faces lesser issues than the higher variants.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 2nd May 2016 at 15:21.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:40   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I am looking out for a 2008-11 Safari, as high a spec as possible, hoping to catch one between 2-3L..
Preferably, get one of 2010 and above vintage. From what I have seen (on and off this forum), those were the most reliable ones.

Safari is one of the most comfy vehicles out there, for driver and passenger both. I speak from personal experience of several trips in a friend's vehicle (Pune-Kanyakumari-Pune twice, Pune-Spiti-Pune, Pune-Indore-Pune and a lot of intra-Maharashtra trips too) as a passenger, and a little bit of driving during these trips.

If you have a trusted FNG, then Safari makes a lot of sense as Tata ASCs sell spares over the counter without any hassles, at least here in Pune.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:50   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, where are you based in delhi? Maybe we can harangue a dealer for a two car buy!
The mechanic is in noida, theres a thread running on him, "raj mechanic".
Bingo! Am based out of Rohini and work in Noida. See if you can break a deal for 2!
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:52   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Plus, a petrol SUV? In this day and age?
A petrol SUV makes great sense in NCR. Considering you have a diesel car already Tucson I think the second one should be a petrol. If u buy a 2008-2009 Safari it would be banned from the roads in just about 2 years from now. U will have to get a new car without any significant resale for your old car. The Tucson must also b of a similar vintage and it won't be long when u will have to replace that as well. With a petrol car you can use it for 15years hence a better buy even if a running costs are higher. I would advise take a petrol as u can get much better cars like the CRV Xtrail Vitara Outlander etc. for similar money for a long run. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:19   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
A petrol SUV makes great sense in NCR. Considering you have a diesel car already Tucson I think the second one should be a petrol. If u buy a 2008-2009 Safari it would be banned from the roads in just about 2 years from now. U will have to get a new car without any significant resale for your old car. The Tucson must also b of a similar vintage and it won't be long when u will have to replace that as well. With a petrol car you can use it for 15years hence a better buy even if a running costs are higher. I would advise take a petrol as u can get much better cars like the CRV Xtrail Vitara Outlander etc. for similar money for a long run. Hope this helps.
They are not SUV. Unless one requires a mall going high gc car may be pamper ones ego. Also petrol ones have less torque at low rpm, pretty much useless offroad.
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:27   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
10 year ban?
I really dont see that coming through.
A CRV, Xtrail, Vitar, Outlander, theyre not available for similar amounts,every one of them is north of 5 Lac. And then they are thirsty. One thing is for certain, the cost of petrol vs the mileage, is the killer.
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:32   #405
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you gents can help me with various things to check out in the safari. I mean, things not known to general folk. Like I would tell someone buying a fiesta to watch out for the AC in particular. Things like that.

Also, My 2 year old son currently travels very comfortably in the back of a tucson in his child seat. Is the safari as comfortable?
Last time I tried out a safari, The biggest shocker was the HUGE turning circle. Is that an issue? I am coming from a sedan, and a small SUV. The tucson though has a bigger turning radius, but is manageable. I personally feel that whatever are the driving quirks of a car, you eventually adapt so that you don't get into troublesome spots.
Which version should I go for? Is a roof mounted AC an option across models, or is it specced to just the top model? Can it be fitted aftermarket?
You will hear lot of bad publicity from arm chair reviewers about Safari. I owned a Safari TCIC for 3 years and then switched to a DiCOR. I have traveled many a long trips across India in these trustworthy machines without a single incident. I don't work for Tata motors and the only reason I am saying this is because I am one of the happy owners. There are few cars south of 20 L that can give the comfort as a Safari can.

When Chennai was flooded, I took the Safari in water logged roads almost 2 feet high and I was the only one other than buses and lorries who could ply in those roads.

It has one quirk though - long turning radius. But that is something you will get used to after a few days.

Roof mounted AC is available from all versions except LX. Even in LX, there is a floor mounted AC in the rear.

If you do decide to go for a diesel SUV, Safari won't let you down.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2016 at 07:19. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks