Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2015, 03:48   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Inviting pre 2003 Safari owners

The early 3.0 liter model should be available for around 2L. IT will be better to go for that instead of TCIC.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 05:48   #347
BHPian

Yes I agree but can't put down that kind of money (being honest and upfront here so that I get real opinions).

Would be great if i can more details pertaining to these models
Old 5th April 2015, 18:29   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
...Two days ago I came across a 2000 and 2002 model Safari with earlier priced at 1.3L and later at 1.12L while the outlook is fairly decent the kms in 2000 is at 157000kms and on 2002 it is 96000kms. I am inclined to go for it as I cannot buy a new or latest used models....
Hi,

After owning a trouble free Japanese sedan, it would be an entirely different experience owning a 10+ year old Tata SUV.

Please do not expect any kind of reliability on the TCIC safari. I'm saying this especially because of this.
Quote:
... long drives once 6months.
However, sometimes, heart wants what it wants. So, I'd suggest you put in a little more money and get a 2.2 vvt version of the same. Its newer, hence, relatively less niggles. In metros the Safari goes for real peanuts, compared to the new vehicle cost.
Quote:
How many times can we get FC for these cars?
Getting fitness from RTO shouldn't be a problem. You will get it till the vehicle has served its entire life.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 15:16   #349
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Quote:
Yes I agree but can't put down that kind of money (being honest and upfront here so that I get real opinions).

Would be great if i can more details pertaining to these models
TCIC is fairly good and not as problematic as it is made out to be.
To be very honest my seldom driven M-800 (now sold) was far more un-relaible money sucker then any Safari story I have heard.

The only thing is how well maintained is this safari and how knowledgeable you are else people will be out there to part you from your money scaring you about one or other part.

Look at Suman Nandi's TCIC thread it is 120,000 Km there was some power window problem and initial estimate given to him was 1.2 L and after some discussion on that thread he went to another ASS and got the job done for 300 rupees.
There is a Safari User group on FB someone has one for sale there just check.

My 2 paisa if you are buying an old safari keep it as daily drive to keep it prim and proper.
Old 24th May 2015, 19:09   #350
BHPian

What were the changes on a 2010 Safari VX compared to earlier 2.2 VX? I can see the dark leather seat covers and blue instrument cluster alongwith more chromium bits on outside; but Is there any mechanical or electrical upgrades on these updates Safaris?

I am hunting for a used 2.2 4wd Safari in Kerala for a few months now and realized that its very scarce here. For a place like Kerala obsessed with more offroad enthusiasts, its bit of a surprise that 4x4 Safaris are sold only once in a blue moon. There were plenty of first gen 4wd Safaris though..
Old 25th May 2015, 11:34   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
What were the changes on a 2010 Safari VX compared to earlier 2.2 VX? I can see the dark leather seat covers and blue instrument cluster alongwith more chromium bits on outside; but Is there any mechanical or electrical upgrades on these updates Safaris?
Likely Mechanical updates

(1) Timing Kit ( known as Kit F) there was timing kit retroffitting done on Safaris but it was not on all Safaris most 2008 - 2010 safari's receive upgrade to "Kit D" . In any case timing belt needs to be changed at 1 Lakh KM you can get the whole timing kit ( water pump , pully idler , belt) for 14,000 Rs at TASS.

(2) Clutch master - salve cylinder to larger diameter resulting in lighter clutch pedal , Original clutch also lasts long ( 80K to 1.25 K and running strong on various safari's) as long as you do not have fetish for super light clutch you should be ok with original clutch system.

(3) EGR valve to 90mm from 70mm , Initial batch of Safari's had 70mm EGR valve which made little noise while suggen accelaration , Was updated sometime in 2008 - 2009 however this makes not much of functional difference.

Electrical updates

1. May be just ECU software , You can ask T.A.S.S to check during service and flash latest version.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:31   #352
Senior - BHPian

One addition to mechanical updates

(4)BS 4 ( Euro 4) version of Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor comes with water cooled EGR valve , whereas BS3 version had normal EGR valve. The impact is in terms of total NOS emission . However my 75K KM done BS3 Safari has pollution level several times below the upper limit mentioned in PUC certificate so should not be much of a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Likely Mechanical updates

(1) Timing Kit ( known as Kit F) there was timing kit retroffitting done on Safaris but it was not on all Safaris most 2008 - 2010 safari's receive upgrade to "Kit D" . In any case timing belt needs to be changed at 1 Lakh KM you can get the whole timing kit ( water pump , pully idler , belt) for 14,000 Rs at TASS.

(2) Clutch master - salve cylinder to larger diameter resulting in lighter clutch pedal , Original clutch also lasts long ( 80K to 1.25 K and running strong on various safari's) as long as you do not have fetish for super light clutch you should be ok with original clutch system.

(3) EGR valve to 90mm from 70mm , Initial batch of Safari's had 70mm EGR valve which made little noise while suggen accelaration , Was updated sometime in 2008 - 2009 however this makes not much of functional difference.

Electrical updates

1. May be just ECU software , You can ask T.A.S.S to check during service and flash latest version.
Old 26th July 2015, 17:07   #353
BHPian

Here I am now...unable to turn my face off the safari. I decided want a safari. Sold off my Baleno. Looking for serious advices and tips please.

I have located a 2008 2.2vtt dicor white colour dingle owner that has clocked 72k on odo.

The price is 2.75lacs that I negotiated down to 2.5lacs. Is this a fair price?

To my knowledge I found a few niggles such as front passenger arm rest lying loose, rear seat does not lock, breaks need cleaning as suggested by owner, general service such as oil and filter.

Not sure how to check the turbo though. How much should these niggles set me back. Any other address of caution?

Posting few pictures and looking for suggestions now ��
Old 26th July 2015, 17:28   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have located a 2008 2.2vtt dicor white colour dingle owner that has clocked 72k on odo.

The price is 2.75lacs that I negotiated down to 2.5lacs. Is this a fair price?

To my knowledge I found a few niggles such as front passenger arm rest lying loose, rear seat does not lock, breaks need cleaning as suggested by owner, general service such as oil and filter.

Not sure how to check the turbo though. How much should these niggles set me back. Any other address of caution?

Posting few pictures and looking for suggestions now ��
Looks like the pics did not come through. Can you re-post please?

I'd say 2.5L is a fair price for a single owner 2008 VTT with 70K on the odo, subject to how the vehicle has been maintained. The niggles that you talked about are a part of the deal when you buy a Safari

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th July 2015 at 17:32.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 17:42   #355
BHPian

Oops... Sorry mates... I am trying to attach pics again.

Would also like to know if it is normal for black smoke to come out while revving... Is there anyways to check the health of piston and block and turbo?
Old 26th July 2015, 23:15   #356
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oops... Sorry mates... I am trying to attach pics again.

Would also like to know if it is normal for black smoke to come out while revving... Is there anyways to check the health of piston and block and turbo?
Some amount of black smoke is normal in the safari when revved but not too much. In idle there should be close to no smoke.

No way to check the turbo. But during the test drive in the 2.2 you should feel the power boost of the turbo cutting in at about 1700-2200 rpm I mean a moderate surge should be noticed and then retained for another 1000 rpm at least.

Safari engine should be fine till 150000 kms though turbo may need to be replaced between 120000-200000 kms depending on how the vehicle was used and if it was idled properly at shut down mainly.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 06:28   #357
BHPian

Thanks a ton ACM. Will keep a note on this.

Did safari 2.2 vtt dicor LX 2008 september model come with a remote lock factory fitted?
Old 27th July 2015, 13:16   #358
BHPian

It is so disheartening to know that the car is already sold this morning. By the time I could do my homework and get back it was sold. Not sure how to take this personally 😭
Old 28th July 2015, 11:37   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is so disheartening to know that the car is already sold this morning. By the time I could do my homework and get back it was sold. Not sure how to take this personally 😭
That is sad indeed. I checked out the pics and the car appeared to be in a good condition. Also, looks like it was an EX - given the rear A/C unit. Sorry to rub it in but it looked like a real sweet deal to me.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:30   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The learning is better to be done before buying and on someone else's money preferably.

You are equipped with a lot more information, with a heart over head situation keep your marbles really close.

Please do more research before buying, owning a dream vehicle is one thing and not able to drive one while still owning it is quite another experience you would like to stay away. Understand what can go wrong at various conditions(coastal cars), various millage(things that fail after some kms)

After all, knowledge can help you and it can also save heartburns at a later stage.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks