Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 11:27   #331
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a Used Tata Safari?

Ratheshba

Yes tyres can seem to last 90k kms. But you need to replace them right away for the age.
Yes the car can last another 5 yrs to about 150-200 k kms total. It may require turbo work around 125 k kms.

4L is max you suould pay for it. Inital work may cost you about 65k. Timing belt plus tensioner plus water pump would be about 7 k outside.

Sedimenter may require cleaning. Cat con being blocked can cause turbo effect and engine power to seem less. Get these checked at a authorised garage. Catcan can be simply removed at cost to the environment if spoilt. Factor another 10 k for suspension and 10 k for clutch.
Old 30th March 2014, 22:20   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ratheesh

have you checked this one:
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Safari.html/
Old 11th April 2014, 14:12   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
Hello tbhpians,
Its been a while since i have been looking out for a pre-worshipped SUV With a budget of 4-5Lakhs .Test drove a lot of them.Never came close to liking any of them mostly because they were way out of my budget and a few of them which were very ill maintained .
4-5L will get you a pre-owned sedan, not an SUV.

You may have to substantially increase the amount if you are in the market for a a good pre owned SUV.

Waseem.
Old 11th April 2014, 14:25   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
4-5L will get you a pre-owned sedan, not an SUV.

You may have to substantially increase the amount if you are in the market for a a good pre owned SUV.

Waseem.
What makes you say that?
A Safari LX costs less than usual C2 sedans when new.
A friend picked up a 2008 Safari LX in excellent condition for 3.3L.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:29   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I drive a 24 year old SUV and and i have got an offer for 7L which i refused.I hope you got the drift sir.

Ratheesh Bro: More when we meet in the evening.

Waseem.
Old 12th April 2014, 08:54   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I drive a 24 year old SUV and and i have got an offer for 7L which i refused.I hope you got the drift sir.

Ratheesh Bro: More when we meet in the evening.

Waseem.
We are talking of Tata Sir.
There was no Tata SUV in 1990.
I hope you got the point.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:46   #337
BHPian

I m looking to upgrade from hatch to an SUV. I have never driven an SUV till now.
Came across this Safari.
Model: Early 2011 LX BS4 2.2L
Kms: 33,000
Asking Price: around 6L.

I havent inspected the vehicle yet. Will check out this weekend.
Is the price and kms done good or suspicious?
Any pointers on what I need to check out?
Any suggestions for a mechanic whom I can approach, to take a look at the vehicle??
Old 11th June 2014, 13:29   #338
Senior - BHPian

I don't see anything foul in first look , seller has right to demand best price he can get and as a buyer you need to negotiate to the figure you think is right.

For inspection and evaluation

DIY checks.

1. Look in the engine bay , does it look clean with no leaking hose pipes etc.

2. Open fuse box and check there are no burn marks , usually people put lots of powerful lights / amps etc without relays and proper wiring and remove them before selling off so this should tell you.

3. Drive on NICE road at 120+ and see there are no vibrations and vehicle stops in straight line on applying breaks.

4. Go to sellers place early in the morning and check for cold start.

Fix up appointment with Concord Motors at Kudlu Gate on Hosur Road , Contact workshop manager Mr. Prem there and tell him you are looking to buy the vehicle and want it to be evaluated. They have an evaluation service

Few pointers for you.

1. Compression test : This will tell about condition of engine and pistons
I do not think there will be anything wrong in a Safari with just 33,000 KM.

2. Injector back flow test : If suppose T.A.S.S doesn't do it you can get it done at Lucas TVS service injectors in Safari are Delphi.

3. OBD II Scan using laptop for error codes etc.

4. Checkup of suspension components.

5. Clutch condition.

Even if T.A.S.S tells you huge bills for overhaul of clutch and suspension do not get scared if you do not see anything wrong in handling , Generally these 2 areas are milch cows for T.A.S.S
It is highly likely that there are actually no issues and just tightening of few nuts of suspension would do.

Safari clutch is usually heavy and truck like , T.A.S.S advices to replace as soon as initial warranty is over but there is no point in replacing since it will be back to square one in about 1500 KM. Usable life of clutch is around 1 lakh km if used properly.

For clutch and suspension get opinion of an honest mechanic outside who handles sumos / boleros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
I m looking to upgrade from hatch to an SUV. I have never driven an SUV till now.
Came across this Safari.
Model: Early 2011 LX BS4 2.2L
Kms: 33,000
Asking Price: around 6L.

I havent inspected the vehicle yet. Will check out this weekend.
Is the price and kms done good or suspicious?
Any pointers on what I need to check out?
Any suggestions for a mechanic whom I can approach, to take a look at the vehicle??

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th June 2014 at 13:31.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:43   #339
BHPian

I happened to see a 2.2 VTT dicor, so couldn't help myself from enquiring.

Its registered in Kerala. 2008, 4wd model, run 89900kms.

Car looks good, but lot of rusting all around. Also tight gears, and has a worn out clutch. Owner wants ₹4.25 lacs. I told him its not worth even ₹2.5lacs. Trust me guys my 20 years old Sierra felt better to drive.

I didn't test the 4wd mode. But the vehicle needs intensive work, you staring at minimum 1.25 work. I cannot post pics from my mobile. Anyone interested I can send it through WhatsApp. The car is in Malappuram KL
Old 26th August 2014, 14:04   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
I happened to see a 2.2 VTT dicor, so couldn't help myself from enquiring.

Its registered in Kerala. 2008, 4wd model, run 89900kms.

Car looks good, but lot of rusting all around. Also tight gears, and has a worn out clutch. Owner wants ₹4.25 lacs. I told him its not worth even ₹2.5lacs. Trust me guys my 20 years old Sierra felt better to drive.

I didn't test the 4wd mode. But the vehicle needs intensive work, you staring at minimum 1.25 work. I cannot post pics from my mobile. Anyone interested I can send it through WhatsApp. The car is in Malappuram KL
I could not deduce intent of this post.
Are you looking to buy and thus seeking advice or are you informing others who may be interested or advising potential buyers from keeping away from this particular vehicle ?
Old 26th August 2014, 14:19   #341
BHPian

Quote:
I could not deduce intent of this post
If anyone is looking for a 4wd 2.2VTT dicor I will be glad to help. That is what I intended.
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:28   #342
BHPian

If there's anyone interested, I am thinking of selling my Safari, It is a 2012 AUg, LX Black Color, has done 61k. The tyres are still stock and might last another 15k. The services have been prompt and on time. Also recently got the zero dep insurance done and it still has 2 years EW remaining.
The reason I am selling it is that I have moved to Pune, and it's a pain to drive it in Pune compared to the wide roads of Delhi.
The Car is Dehradun Registered. I can provide an NOC if anyone is interested. Currently it's in Pune but I will be taking it back to NCR around Diwali.
Have no clue how much I should expect? I am expecting around 5.5 Lacs. Is that too much or too less?
Old 28th September 2014, 12:25   #343
BHPian

I am a sucker for good second hand cars, and have owned a 1.6Ikon, 1.3Ikon, and a Getz along with my very first car---a Fiat-118NE!!!

All second hand cars were acquired only through sound references and all of them became cherished rides over the years.

However, owning a second-hand SUV has always given me the creeps and I am really vary about it.

Reason: Safari, of all the SUVs available for the mango people like me is a must own vehicle for every true motorhead. And once you have the beast, you're sure to "Reclaim Your Life" and that coupled with the now "(in)famous" TASS just makes me want to go for a new Safari than an used one.
Old 12th October 2014, 09:53   #344
Senior - BHPian

2007 Safari VX Used

I have been on the lookout for a vehicle that will allow us to travel more comfortably without having to slow down and tread cautiously at every undulation in the road surface (plenty of 'em!).

Since I already have a Nano and am not yet sure if I should let her go, my budget is limited to 2-3 lakhs and I am on the hunt for a used car.

Out of the most comfortable lots I have been browsing through the Accords and the Camrys and the Corollas. These are great on plain/level roads, but they would still need to go slow over the monstrosities of the roads in the vicinity, or scrape over the speedbreakers. Then I thought of the Safari.

With ample ground clearance and the second row dubbed as a Sofa, perhaps the Safari meets my needs. So the hunt started afresh for this beast.

Now, I have never owned an SUV before and never owned a diesel car before (though I did drive the Premier Padmini and the Fiat Uno Diesel for a few years, occasionally a Sumo here and there!).

I have come across a particular model which has 36k on the odo and is a 2007 registered VX model - the topend model with airbags, ABS, even LED screens behind the headrest of the front seats.

I met the owner last evening and checked out the visual aspects. The car had its filters removed at the time so didn't have an opportunity to start the engine or drive it around. This might happen during the next week.

The owner seems to be decent and has driven the vehicle only on occasional highway trips - hence the low mileage. He has another Safari Storme with him and so is looking to get rid of this beast.

The asking price is out of my budget, but if the low mileage and the VX model are good signs, I am willing to double the budget.

Is it a good buy?

One more thing: How do I adjust the seat height? There's a lever right near the thigh which controls this, but I wasn't able to sense any difference after pulling this lever up. The other lever changed the position of the seat back, so I used the correct lever.

Last edited by honeybee : 12th October 2014 at 10:01. Reason: Rearranged the information
Old 5th April 2015, 03:02   #345
BHPian

Inviting pre 2003 Safari owners

Hi! I currently own a Baleno 2007 and have always wanted to own a Safari/Estate. Both these cars were owned by my dad when I was a kid but were sold off for various reasons. Ever since I always wanted to buy one. Whenever I begin looking for a used Safari the prices are always high. Two days ago I came across a 2000 and 2002 model Safari with earlier priced at 1.3L and later at 1.12L while the outlook is fairly decent the kms in 2000 is at 157000kms and on 2002 it is 96000kms. I am inclined to go for it as I cannot buy a new or latest used models.

Do any of you still own the old Safari models? How many times can we get FC for these cars? I need help in understanding what is TCIC, variants, is it 4x4 or 4x2, areas of concerns, spares, etc.. My driving is only during weekends for about 50kms and long drives once 6months.

All advices and suggestions will be valued

Mods: Please merge the thread if found duplicated or pls point me to the right thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks