View Poll Results: Where are we on Sunday, 15TH
Oi Punjab, NH3 41 66.13%
Preetam Dhaba, NH8 22 35.48%
Karnala 9 14.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 08:23   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai Meet 15th January 2012 - Drive Igatpuri 7AM - Lunch Oye Punjabi - 12Noon

Without knowing anything about these areas, here are my comments.

1. Have been to Lonavala many times and find it a typical crowded tourist spot.
2. Aamby Valley is another destination for weekend types. Plus, I find that place very artificial (seen images here and on the net so please don't kill me for this comment).
3. Karnala looks very interesting (again as seen on the net) and I'm really hoping for that place. Pune members can join there without much hassles I believe.

4. I believe we here are slightly different lot from the rest of the world. And that's why we're here in TBHP. Let's not do those common tourist spots.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:14   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai Meet 15th January 2012 - Drive Igatpuri 7AM - Lunch Oye Punjabi - 12Noon

Weekends to all the "hot" spots means tackling heavy traffic and intolerable crowds.
I would advocate a lunch meet somewhere on NH3 (like Legend of Punjab) instead of driving too far. The idea is anyway to catch up over a long lunch session instead of driving all over the place.

Suggestions for eatery on NH3 - Legend of Punjab, a little after Kalyana Phata, which means a 30 km drive from Thane (add 40 kms for those coming from SoBo).

On NH8 - some place like Pritam ka Dhaba after Ghodbunder, before Vasai, also means a 30 km drive from Thane.

I would avoid Karnala because it attracts huge crowds on weekends, although driving there is easy and not much traffic too. If anyone has a suggestion for a good less-crowded eatery there, that would also be welcome.
Old 10th January 2012, 09:27   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
3. Karnala looks very interesting (again as seen on the net) and I'm really hoping for that place. Pune members can join there without much hassles I believe.

4. I believe we here are slightly different lot from the rest of the world. And that's why we're here in TBHP. Let's not do those common tourist spots.
Maybe i'm saying this a bit too late but, 'Welcome to Mumbai' Rudra ! When did the shift happen ?
About karnala, well that's a tourist spot as well. Sure not one of the 'conventional' spots but yes you will find tons of people there too and not many of them go there for the birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

On NH8 - some place like Pritam ka Dhaba after Ghodbunder, before Vasai, also means a 30 km drive from Thane.

I would avoid Karnala because it attracts huge crowds on weekends, although driving there is easy and not much traffic too. If anyone has a suggestion for a good less-crowded eatery there, that would also be welcome.

+1 to the Karnala comment.
Do keep us informed if you guys are coming north on NH8
Old 10th January 2012, 10:20   #184
BHPian

If its about meeting old and new friends than I guess the "Legacy Of Punjab" (Now "Oye Punjabi") on Nashik highway is great place with good food, huge parking, being lunch time will not be much crowded and plenty of time to spend together intracting. The last post Kaas LOP meet was a real success.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:00   #185
BHPian

Second HV and Nomadabhi on either Legacy of Punjab or Pritam da Dhaba ....both meet the criteria of "Thoda chalau aur Thoda Khau"
Old 10th January 2012, 11:10   #186
Senior - BHPian

Lets leave the poll decide where we be heading for the meet and close the poll by Thursday night and have the next two days for deciding which eateries to go and the route.
Otherwise we would be having problem in deciding the location with everyone having there their own choices and reasons.
No offence intended. Just my 2p.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:19   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Weekends to all the "hot" spots means tackling heavy traffic and intolerable crowds.
I would advocate a lunch meet somewhere on NH3 (like Legend of Punjab) instead of driving too far. The idea is anyway to catch up over a long lunch session instead of driving all over the place.

Suggestions for eatery on NH3 - Legend of Punjab, a little after Kalyana Phata, which means a 30 km drive from Thane (add 40 kms for those coming from SoBo).

Hi. I think HV is right, otherwise we will be just driving and driving . Idea is to have little bit of driving ,sitting togather ,having lunch, chatting, evening tea, and finally drive back home.
Good idea HV Sir. thank you.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Hello Experts,

Add my name to the tentative list. I can attend the meet with my family (wifey & daughter).

I am still a very new member in TBHP, but still it would be great to meet the people whose travelogues I am reading since many months.

I believe a closer destination within 50 - 80 kms from everyone's residence would be a better option.

Also as suggested by Mr. HV Kumar & Mr. Rudra Sen above, places like Karnala, Lonavala & Amby valley would be really crowded on weekends, also considering the fact that it is Makar Shankranti this weenend.

Thanks,
Old 10th January 2012, 11:21   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
But a SUV is much better at handling those bumps. What about the stiff suspension E90 and low profile tyres the German Trio has?
Prevention is better than cure.
Chief my Ml has 19" wheels with 55 profiles (previously had 50 profiles), so the "SUV is much better in handling those bumps" cannot come into play. I do take the E or even the accord to silvassa and the roads are only bad till Mira road. I dont think you have been on that road recently or in the recent past and are just going by hear say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Boss I have been travelling from Andheri west to Boisar almost every third day in a week for the last 3 months.
The road is superb no traffic problems, only the diversions are there time to time for the flyovers being constructed which comes in the way of our speeding we do.
I am not aware of road beyond Boisar cutting off point.
On the way we have Kamats,Silver miles, both are pure veg. and have buffet for the B fast and Lunch.
Toll is 30/- at Dahisar. 78/- at Virar Phata. (return toll).
Once again road is good and I never noticed any traffic jams during my recent almost 18 trips in last three months.Regards.......
, i do silvassa trips twice a week and the roads just keep getting better.

I do miss the good old meets where the drive was given more importantance than the distance or the place to eat, yes you would meet the other members too and it never was a splash and dash meet. Here i see the distance being given the maximum importance rather than a drive, this is a car forum and not a social networking site. This is my two bits and no offence to anyone in perticular. I'm just old school and prefer my long drive and meet rather than a meet and no drive. Throughout the week a few bhpians do that with a 4 to 10km radius of our houses, so this meet would just be the same with a few faces added.

Last edited by speedy : 10th January 2012 at 11:36.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 11:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Chief my Ml has 19" wheels with 55 profiles (previously had 50 profiles), so the "SUV is much better in handling those bumps" cannot come into play. I do take the E or even the accord to silvassa and the roads are only bad till Mira road. I dont think you have been on that road recently or in the recent past and are just going by hear say.

, i do silvassa trips twice a week and the roads just keep getting better.
Hi, infact I was at Boisar on sunday and it was a smooth drive as usual without any hurdles. You right this highway is getting better day by day.
The new flyovers opened getting opened up for traffic, without those creepy politicians inaugrating them at their ease of time, starting from Mira Road junction.
You love driving on this NH.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:54   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, infact I was at Boisar on sunday and it was a smooth drive as usual without any hurdles. You right this highway is getting better day by day.
The new flyovers opened getting opened up for traffic, without those creepy politicians inaugrating them at their ease of time, starting from Mira Road junction.
You love driving on this NH.
Yes I have been there on last weekend as well as the one before that. Roads have been recently leveled (hence as smooth as Nashik highway), only problem are the few diversions on the way where flyovers are being constructed.
Old 10th January 2012, 13:32   #192
BHPian

I would still like to count myself in on the tentative list along with my better half and kid. Just that the kid is a bit unwell am not very sure as to how good we would be to make it on the weekend. I really hope we make it, as it would be my first TBHP meet.

Last edited by swarooppatil : 10th January 2012 at 13:33.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Meet January 2012

There are some of us who would like to meet up at Hotel Oye Punjab, near Kalyan on the Mumbai - Nashik highway, on 15 Jan 2012.

This will be a lunch meet, and the place being hardly an hour's drive away people should comfortably start post 9 and still make it to the venue in time.

To be decided:
Ordering options
Exact timings
Pickup points/times

I am confirming my own participation, others please add your names to the list:
  1. honeybee
Old 10th January 2012, 16:53   #194
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kalyan: Hotel Oye Punjab Meet on 15 Jan 2012

1. honeybee
2. MX6 and family - tentative

(owing to the fact that the other meet thread poll is still open and there's so much exciting discussion going on there. Also I want to check out the possibility of Karnala as well as it's been a while since I took my daughter for birdwatching. And I prefer Bhagat Tarachand Food over Oye Punjab. So based on what transpires, I might take a quick decision on Friday. For now, am keeping a close look on the other thread with the poll).

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
This thread is closed? Mumbai 'Lots of Confusion' Meet?
Nope the thread is not closed. Just that there's tremendous response to the meet with many people pitching in with their valid reasons for each of the 7 choices. I guess the mistake we made while having the poll was to keep 7 choices. Too many choices confuses people you see! Add one more, and I'd have made an Ashtavinayak kind of plan and set out on a long weekend trip.

So as mentioned above, I'm keeping a watch on the other thread. Oye Punjab is also on my preferred list. So is Karnala. So is any of the 7 choices. Damn, so many places and just 1 sunday.

Last edited by MX6 : 10th January 2012 at 16:57.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:04   #195
BHPian

Looks like the poll is leaning towards Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. I have driven on it a couple of times, once when I drove to Silvassa and another time to Baroda. Roads are very good, so good that they are pretty boring.
I prefer some curves (roads and otherwise ), and would love a drive towards Nashik for instance.

In any case I am ready to go with the group on this, as it will be my first meet. Please close the polls soon so that we can discuss arrangements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks