Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 11:20   #136
BHPian

Re: Thread exclusively on Tambaram, residents please chip in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Guys,
Totally agree, there is a lot that the govt has to work on that part of the road. I used to go till MM Nagar earlier, during the 2007 then it was far better. But nowadays post many S/W companies opening in GST, the road is really bad.

The worst part is that, there is no alternate for GST at all. Anybody going thro there must only go thro GST unlike alternates that you have for the OMR.

@VW2010, But there is one option, in case if you are in Camp road, you can try taking the road thro the Bharat engg which goes till the Cresent college junction. But not sure about the road conditions now. Earlier, that road used to be great.
Xingamazon,I took the road couple of weeks back at around 9:30 AM to go to Guduvanchery from Sembakkam on my Manza and had a torrid experience.

The traffic upto Bharat Engg college was so heavy and felt that driving to Tambaram was a better option. The road from Agaram (near Bharat engg college) to the Vandalur-Kelambakkam road is full of gravel & mud. Had to drive at 10-15 kmph for around 6 kms and regretted my decison. Looked like they are relaying and hopefully it will be completed soon.

There is another option that my wife's collegues once used. The road connects (old GST Road) Cresent engg. college to Perungalathur via sadanandpuram going around the Zoo bypassing GST road . The road joins GST road at the Perungalthur intersection. The route is longer but you can bypass most of the traffice but hit the intersection straight.

VW2010 is right. The opening of the Vandalur bridge should reduce the traffic congestion to an extent but they should start work immediately on the overbridge at Perungalathur as the locality has picked up with the advent of Sriram tech park. Similarly the 4 laned GST road between Tambaram - Chinglepet has saturated and needs to be 8 laned or a special expressway built between Tambaram - Chinglepet on the lines of the Tambaram-Maduravayil Chennai bypass .

Do not know what is on the cards.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 25th February 2011 at 11:21. Reason: corrected typos
Old 25th February 2011, 11:32   #137
BHPian

Oh Man ! My dream drive in ECR and OMR is over ! I have to now drive upto Perungalathur daily (sic). It's utter chaos in this part of the world. I feel Tambaram --Sembakkam-- Medavakkam-- Sholing--ECR is more manageable.

Guidy and SP road Adayar is the worst nightmare for any sane human being.

Will lookout for you guys in this route. Cheers !
Old 25th February 2011, 12:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Tambaram fly over is getting some work done at a faster pace. Looks like they are aiming for a March opening. Atleast by the looks of it.

I feel vandalur should be given higher priority than tambaram. As there are not much traffic hassle in tambaram these days.

Old perungalathur, Perungalathur, RMK Nagar, vandalur and upto oorappakam is now taking the Perungalathur gate.

Vandalur flyover will definitely ease this tension.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:59   #139
Senior - BHPian

Tambaram fly over towars Mudichoor is getting opened this week for sure.

I guess that will help people to reach perungalathur from City with little hassle.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

The Dargah Road subway at Pallavaram, linking GST Road and Kilkattalai, was opened last week.

Also, the metro rail barricades have been erected all the way from OTS up to Polo grounds, effectively shutting out the right/U turn in front of Mount P.O. Now that is a big relief for people proceeding straight on GST during peak hours. The snarl up in this stretch has vanished!
Old 28th February 2011, 13:26   #141
BHPian

I hope the U turn is closed permanently. You recognize the Signal only at the last moment as it is hidden by the turn while coming from Kathipara. I understand that it was used heavily when the Kathipara grade separator was being built, but now it is time to close it.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I hope the U turn is closed permanently. You recognize the Signal only at the last moment as it is hidden by the turn while coming from Kathipara. I understand that it was used heavily when the Kathipara grade separator was being built, but now it is time to close it.
The U-turn is surely a inconvenience in the peak hours and as you said it is invisible when you come from Kathipara side - but for people from Alandur, Adambakkam area who hit the GST at Asharkhana (from the station road near Sankara Netralaya), this U-turn is very much useful to go towards Kathipara. Else, they will have to drive till Cemetery road (locally known as Cement road) to take the U.

Yep, I do understand that these guys (only 2-wheelers and small cars) could use the Meenambakkam RTO road to reach Balaji hospital side of Kathipara - but even then to go towards Guindy, Vadapalani etc., they would definitely need a proper U-turn which is not very far away.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:57   #143
Senior - BHPian

I am ok with people taking U turn. But down just crowd two or three lanes to take a U-Turn. This is the common scene in Tambaram and
Quote:
right/U turn in front of Mount P.O
. If people just stand in a queue in the right most lane there wont be a bottle neck.

But most of us ignore the same and start taking more lanes to make that U-Turn.

On the same line, i hope the right turn to mudichoor is closed permenantly allowing only U-Turn and forcing all to take the flyover to get into mudichoor.
Old 6th March 2011, 20:38   #144
BHPian

Hi All, I got permanently transferred to Chennai. Now i need to travel from Pallavaram to Mahindera City daily. Can someone help in letting me know the easiest path ( if you can attach a google map it would be great) and the timing of least possible traffic.
Old 6th March 2011, 20:40   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Hi All, I got permanently transferred to Chennai. Now i need to travel from Pallavaram to Mahindera City daily. Can someone help in letting me know the easiest path ( if you can attach a google map it would be great) and the timing of least possible traffic.
I would suggest you to take the train and avoid all hassles.
Old 6th March 2011, 20:55   #146
Senior - BHPian

Well if I were ever posted in Mahindra City, I would avoid all the hassle and try to rent a house on the outskirts of Chengalpet. Smaller town, more pleasurable drive everyday, you get almost all the same facilities (except mega mall and multiplex theatre), and probably rent is also much less.

Maybe I would even move to Tirukalukudram. These small towns have a certain charm of their own, and people still know what is politeness in these places.

I'm not speaking without experience. My family used to live in Tirukalukundram when I was about 12 years old, we used to go to a school between Chengalpet & Tirukalukundram, mom used to work in the same school and dad used to commute to Chennai (mostly Tambaram) almost everyday for work (on a Bajaj M80!). Life was good, we all enjoyed it.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 6th March 2011 at 20:56.
Old 6th March 2011, 21:00   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Dargah Road subway at Pallavaram, linking GST Road and Kilkattalai, was opened last week.
Thats great news. Was waiting to happen for ages. So I take a left after the manickam hotel, right?

I have rented out my flat on dargah road. Hope I can expect more rent now...
Old 6th March 2011, 23:06   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I would suggest you to take the train and avoid all hassles.
For initial days I'm planning to go in car and eventually move to train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Well if I were ever posted in Mahindra City, I would avoid all the hassle and try to rent a house on the outskirts of Chengalpet. Smaller town, more pleasurable drive everyday, you get almost all the same facilities (except mega mall and multiplex theatre), and probably rent is also much less.
One of the main reason to shift to Chennai is to be with my parents and immediate family members so there is no second thought of places other than Chennai. Hope you understand.

Last edited by mail4loys : 6th March 2011 at 23:08.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:05   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Loyola! The easiest way is to use the GST road and time your work times to avoid traffic. You would know better if you consult with your colleagues. Reach office early and leave early.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:19   #150
BHPian

+1 to that. The primary bottlenecks is the stretch between Perungalathur & Vandalur. I don't drive down daily but based on my occassional drives and feedback from my wife, avoid 8:00-10:00 AM in the morning and 5:00-8:30 PM in the evening. Somone driving on this route daily can provide better inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks