Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 11:49   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can we also analyze the approximate economics involved in these steps? For a newbie into detailing could think it much easy on the pocket than the 'teflon' coating from the dealership. As per my knowledge, the so called 'teflon' coating is just a wax application than anything else. Can we also consider for how many applications a product can be used on an average.

Eg: (please add/correct; usages are a wild guess)
Shampoo/QD - ONR - 600[~15 use]
Clay - BiltHamber - 1500[~4 use] (or Elastrofoam - 1750[~20 use])
De-contaminant - TriX - 50ml x 2 - 1400 [1 use]
Paint Cleanser - Sonus - 950[~10 use]
Wax - Collinite 845 - 1400[~5 use]
Duster for maintenance - Jopasu - 600[~6 -12 months]

And polisher, pads, MF cloths, applicators, duster? Polishes, sealants, plastic and rubber maintenance too might be needed as the car ages.

First time investment comes close to INR 7k including MF cloth and applicator. But, per use, it comes to 40+370+1400+95+280 = 2185. Better if we can calculate per month usage, as it will be much lesser, due to no need to use clay, TriX and cleanser every month.

How about the economics of giving the car to a detailer once every 6 months and maintaining it with dusting/washing/waxing in between?
Good pointer. Me being the crazy guy I am, never bothered about the economics part of it. Guilty of splurging whenever I saw something new. Shall look into this and respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Do I need to buy some branded foam pad or just a local (20 rupees) foam will suffice?
And can you also explain "the buffed off using microfiber clothes" part.

Thanks in advance.
Try this - http://www.autofresh.in/washing-spon...20-97810718885

Or if you get this combo you should be good with Collinite, MF cloth and pad - http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=191

As for application guidance, watch the videos in this page:

http://www.autogeek.net/car-wax-detailing.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 13:02   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Meguiars applicator pack has 4 pads and costs Rs 199 MRP. Cheapest and possibly the best of the lot. Should be available at 3M outlets.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Meguiars applicator pack has 4 pads and costs Rs 199 MRP. Cheapest and possibly the best of the lot. Should be available at 3M outlets.
any pointers if they are available online in India?
Old 10th January 2014, 14:37   #184
BHPian

Collinite 845 seems to be a good choice & easy to apply wax.
I am gathering the will power & courage to do it myself only.

Also, my domestic help cleans the car daily. Even if I give him a good jopasu duster & everything & teach him how to clean properly, I do not expect him to follow that religiously.
So will Collinite 845 be helpful in preventing those ugly swirls/scratches as well?
Old 10th January 2014, 14:41   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Eg: (please add/correct; usages are a wild guess)
Shampoo/QD - ONR - 600[~15 use]
Clay - BiltHamber - 1500[~4 use] (or Elastrofoam - 1750[~20 use])
De-contaminant - TriX - 50ml x 2 - 1400 [1 use]
Paint Cleanser - Sonus - 950[~10 use]
Wax - Collinite 845 - 1400[~5 use]
Duster for maintenance - Jopasu - 600[~6 -12 months]
+1 to the above numbers. My recent spends
Sonax MF cloth (pack of 2) - Rs 199
ONR QD - Rs 550 + 14% VAT
Opti Eraser Clay (similar to elastofoam) - Rs 1,350 + 14% VAT
Opti Car Wax (4 oz) - Rs 600(approx)+ 14% VAT
Jopasu duster - Rs 500 (from ebay.in used a coupon)

But i think from an economics and effort point on view, 3M or other detailers might still be better value. I had done some research before I planned to take the plunge into detailing and figured out:

- Pete's Smart detailing has a 12K per annum package where once in 3 months they foam wash, clay, polish, wax your car (including a rudimentary interior cleaning). Based on the above estimate, per month spend is 1K. If you add Jopasu and some own cleaning, it will not exceed 1.2K per month

- Eco Car care provides a full detailing packages for approx 3.5K(for a hatch) where they again do the whole works including swirl removal etc. They mentioned that once in 6 months if you get this done, your car will be perfect and you can just clean with Jopasu and use a QD once in 15 days. Given the above, the per month cost is approx Rs 700 which is not bad at all

But why did I decide to do it myself? Satisfaction
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:54   #186
BHPian

I might sound spendthrift here, non frugal and down right stupid.
In the first one year of my ownership, have spent close to 35k on detailing products. Some of these products will last me for ages, for example, 915 wax, ONR, UWW etc.
There are others who have spent insane amounts on detailing.
Spend money in accumulating stuff if you have a passion for detailing, in other words if you are suffer from OCD.
If not, taking a package/help from others make sense.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 15:09   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Sonax MF cloth (pack of 2) - Rs 199
From where did you source Sonax micro fiber? Price wise its quite value for money in comparison to other brands.
Old 10th January 2014, 15:23   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
From where did you source Sonax micro fiber? Price wise its quite value for money in comparison to other brands.
Picked this during a grocery shopping trip to Auchan(SPAR). They also do stock Formula 1 and Sonax QD, Polishes & Waxes
Old 10th January 2014, 15:49   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Eco Car care provides a full detailing packages for approx 3.5K(for a hatch) where they again do the whole works including swirl removal etc. They mentioned that once in 6 months if you get this done, your car will be perfect and you can just clean with Jopasu and use a QD once in 15 days. Given the above, the per month cost is approx Rs 700 which is not bad at all

But why did I decide to do it myself? Satisfaction
Of course I too love to do it myself, but my budget is tight, especially when I've exhausted 18k for K3.500 pressure washer + foam nozzle. A pressure washer of 5k-6k would also have done the same job for me.
Old 10th January 2014, 16:05   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I too love to do it myself, but my budget is tight, especially when I've exhausted 18k for K3.500 pressure washer + foam nozzle. A pressure washer of 5k-6k would also have done the same job for me.
Whoa that is quiet an investment. Are you planning to open your own detailing shop . Where did you pick this up from and can you post a review & video?
Old 10th January 2014, 16:30   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whoa that is quiet an investment. Are you planning to open your own detailing shop . Where did you pick this up from and can you post a review & video?
I think you mis-quoted me instead of @Mudhalaipatti who has spent ~35k on detailing supplies alone I told that I exhausted my budget after buying a pressure washer which alone cost me 18k. If you are asking for the pressure washer review, here are some of my posts: [1], [2], [3], [4]and [5].
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 00:32   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
I might sound spendthrift here, non frugal and down right stupid.
In the first one year of my ownership, have spent close to 35k on detailing products. Some of these products will last me for ages, for example, 915 wax, ONR, UWW etc.
There are others who have spent insane amounts on detailing.
Spend money in accumulating stuff if you have a passion for detailing, in other words if you are suffer from OCD.
If not, taking a package/help from others make sense.
Amen! I've spent about 50K just last month on various detailing stuff. It's an itch that has to be scratched continuously
Old 13th January 2014, 21:59   #193
BHPian

I was searching for some detailing products in India and landed in www.detailedclean.in, they have tons of products. Anybody in tbhp purchased from them? Are they reliable?
Old 13th January 2014, 22:09   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I was searching for some detailing products in India and landed in www.detailedclean.in, they have tons of products. Anybody in tbhp purchased from them? Are they reliable?
Yes & yes.
Cross posting my experience from another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3339488

http://www.detailedclean.in/ is the sister site of http://www.detailedclean.co.uk/
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 01:57   #195
Senior - BHPian

Growing awareness in the detailing community has only meant the car care biz is hotting up. . Just now got to now that KochChemie and Swissvax have also got a local distributor for India. SK Auto Smart are the ones to contact for this. I have written to them asking for details. I got to know about these through someone who mentioned about shiny cars at a Mercedes dealership being polished with these products.

Has anyone here used these products earlier ?
speedsatya is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks