Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:46   #76
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Few days back I applied Turtle wax on my newly painted (fully cured paint and 3M rubbing compound was applied by painter) esteem. Polish gave a deep gloss to the paint but second day I noticed that dust is very hard to remove from the car now. Static charge is there which attracts the dust and does not leave the car body when wiped using dry cloth. What to do to make this static charge go away?
Just give the car a shampoo wash and that should sort it out
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:19   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
3M products are under average
3M products are no way below average!! They are ABOVE average. If you can't achieve good result with a 3M product that indicates yours method is faulty.

The fact is that the 3M guys like most detailers in India use wrong method for paint correction and protection.

I do not believe that only exotic brand names and costly products give good result. In fact I find many exotic products to be over hyped. I can prove with chemical details that many of them of them are there to rob people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Few days back I applied Turtle wax on my newly painted (fully cured paint and 3M rubbing compound was applied by painter) esteem. Polish gave a deep gloss to the paint but second day I noticed that dust is very hard to remove from the car now. Static charge is there which attracts the dust and does not leave the car body when wiped using dry cloth. What to do to make this static charge go away?
Probably you applied too much wax!!

Last edited by archat68 : 23rd November 2013 at 23:21.
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:54   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Shortlisted some products for my next upgrade. Help appreciated.
Thoma - Sorry that I missed your question earlier. Linuxmanju has given you some excellent responses. The way I see it, your options are:
  • Autoglym SRP + Autoglym EGP (Their Sealant). Both are compatible, SRP will mask those paint defects and EGP will offer good gloss and durability.
  • Autoglym SRP + Duragloss 111. Instead of EGP, a Duragloss Sealant that looks equally good, if not better.
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to correct the swirls by hand (Very very tedious on that paint and by hand but can be done). Then use a sealant of your choice. Can still use SRP to mask the remaining defects as 100% correction by hand is not possible.
  • Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish + Bilt Hamber Auto Balm. I personally used this combination to partially correct and partially hide several scratches that somebody drew on my car's boot. BH polish has more cut than SRP but almost the same amount of fillers, so it won't just mask but will correct to an extent. Auto Balm is a sealant that is very filler heavy. The combination is capable of partially correcting/masking and protecting your paintwork.
  • The best option is to go to a reliable detailer and get those swirls taken care of so that you can enjoy the application of a sealant of your choice.
I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
For my Pearl white Duster I have sort of settled down to this routine:
1. daily - dusting with California duster,
2. weekly - windscreen, windows and body (where it has picked up some dirt) cleaning with ONR diluted solution - spray and wipe with MF cloth
3. Fortnightly: Vacuum interiors, foot mats
4. Monthly: Engine bay cleaning with just waste cotton and brush and
4. quarterly - Sonax shampoo wash, when not fully dry clay with ONR dilution, dry and finish off with Collinite 845
That is some excellent workflow you got going there

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
After trying few sealants, whenever someone asks me for a good durable sealant or a wax first thing that comes to my mind is Collinite 476s.
Linux - I can't ever get over the beautiful sight of your red cars. Choosing a good product is important but I think you have honed your technique to a point that anything you use gives you excellent results. I would request you to share some application and paint prep insights with the rest of us here. And again, lovely red paint.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 24th November 2013 at 00:00.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 00:20   #79
BHPian

Thanks linuxmanju for answering my queries.

Saw your thread on 476 , your palio has really glossed !!

Are 2 coats of collinite 476 required ?

In your case after 2 coats , what is the interval before your next waxing session? and what frequency on average of shampoo wash / plain water wash do you follow in between ?

How many coats can be applied with a tub of collinite 476 on your palio ?
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 00:48   #80
BHPian

Thanks hubolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Are 2 coats of collinite 476 required ?
It is recommended to have the second coat for an even and full coverage.

Quote:
In your case after 2 coats , what is the interval before your next waxing session? and what frequency on average of shampoo wash / plain water wash do you follow in between ?
You could stretch for 3/4 months or even more if you maintain well. Rule of thumb is, if beading is less and inconsistent, time for a coat. I mostly do ONR wash whenever required and shampoo wash once a month.

Quote:
How many coats can be applied with a tub of collinite 476 on your palio ?
I don't not remember how many times I have applied C476 so far but even after one year I still have more than 60% left.

I guess it should last a good 2 to 3 years.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 24th November 2013 at 00:50.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 14:32   #81
BHPian

thanks linuxmanju for sharing your routine.

seems perfect for my requirement , only may have to tweak the car shamppo frequency given the dust conditions.

What is to be done for the hard tar like stains that stick to the lower doors of the car ?

Also for mild scratches ?
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 15:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
What is to be done for the hard tar like stains that stick to the lower doors of the car ?
Try a small bottle of Carpro Tar-X, works beautifully. Some people have luck with WD-40 as well but I prefer a dedicated Tar remover. People will tell you that even Diesel works and is safe as long as you remove it immediately and that the composition of dedicated tar removers isn't very different from Diesel or Petrol or Kerosene. Do you research and pick your poison based on your budget.Tar and Iron decontamination should be part of the "Paint Prep" stage prior to waxing or sealing.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 16:35   #83
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also for mild scratches ?
Apart from what has already been mentioned, if you have access to a good clay bar, that also works. It has to aggressive in nature and not all clay bars can remove tar, even those which do will need good elbow grease. Tar here is bad and a problem we all face- is it a white car btw?
What kind of mild scratches, a pic will help to guide you better.
mkh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 22:08   #84
BHPian

No it's brown , cannot be seen, but I can feel those surface imperfection when I wash the car.

For the scratch I will try to capture a pic of it , maybe too mild to be seen in a picture.
Old 25th November 2013, 08:08   #85
BHPian

@Pedaltothefloor thank you for this thread! You have made waxing and polishing at home easy and fun for all of us!
Can I use the UPGP on a Harley Davidson? And can it be used for the chrome too? Have been using Formula1 caranuba wax, and it looks and feels good on the black, but would like to have the shine seen in some of the pictures in this thread.
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Can I use the UPGP on a Harley Davidson?
Yes, you can use this on any painted surface that you would like to protect.

Quote:
And can it be used for the chrome too?
Most probably yes.

Quote:
Have been using Formula1 caranuba wax, and it looks and feels good on the black, but would like to have the shine seen in some of the pictures in this thread.
UPGP sealant will surely be an upgrade from your current wax. As far as the shine goes, it depends upon the prep most of the time, LSPs will only add slight extra to it. Having said that. If you are happy with Formula 1, you will be a lot more happier than that with UPGP.

@raghuvir Please post a review of Formula1 wax with some pictures of your HD.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 25th November 2013 at 12:17.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:18   #87
BHPian

Four Star UPP Sealant Review

Introduction:

People who know me also know that I have a soft corner for LSPs ( Waxes/Sealants).
The thing about these LSPs is that, you spend 15/20 minutes after your regular maintenance wash and bingo, Bob is your uncle. The side effect of trying out so many LSPs is that, I don't get to check the most important aspect of an LSP which is durability. If I ever had to rate the sealants only in terms of looks ( On my Red car ), the award should have gone to BlackFire Wet Diamond ( BFWD ) and WolfGang DeepGloss. These are the two sealants which closely mimic the looks of a Carnauba wax, unlike few others which give typical sealant kind of a look.

The other sealant which was creating buzz around the international market with similar capability was Four Star UPP. A quick check around and UltimateDetailerz had a stock of the same. A quick call and bought some small qty of the same to try out first.

Quick product facts from Four Star's website:

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection ( http://www.fourstarproducts.com/fostulpapr.html )

Boosted With Polycharger™*
Finally, a synthetic paint sealant that offers the dark, wet-looking, high-gloss shine of the very best Carnauba wax, plus months of protection! Now Boosted With Polycharger™!

Product Claims:

Taken from Four Star website.

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection delivers months of protection and a deep, dark, wet-looking, high-gloss shimmer that's unmatched by other synthetic polymer sealants. Four Star makes paint care products for OEMs, but saves their latest technology for their house brand. Years of research and testing stand behind each bottle, truly making it worthy of the label "Ultimate Paint Protection!"

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic Bottle
2.- Directions: Apply, Haze and buff off.
3.- Viscosity: Liquid ( Medium/thin )
4.- Color: White
5.- Scent: NA/Did not check ( May be too mild to be noticed )
6.- Price: Not available as bought some decanted qty ( Can be checked with Ultimate Detailerz )
8.- Manufacturer: Four Star

Preparation:

The most ignored part and the most important part of the detailing is the prep. Looks/shine/durability everything depends on how well the surface was prepared. So here goes my list of what I did before the UPP sealant application.

1) ONR Wash
2) Clay using ONR as lube
3) Menzerna Power Finish ( Machine polished using Skil 9080 and Lake Country pads )
4) Finished off with BlackFire Finishing Polish
5) UPP Four star 1 Coat ( Usually I apply 3 coats ).

Application:

As I got the decanted Qty, I was worried if the amount of product what I got is sufficient for 2 coats ( It was a small Tar-X bottle which had UPP ). Happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised. This sealant spreads like a Coconut oil ( Not sure what else I can compare with ). One dab from the applicator and you could cover almost half of the bonnet. Remember the key is to apply thin.

Once applied to the full car waited for 5 to 10 minutes and a quick swipe with my finger told me I could remove the sealant. Buffed off with a Micro Fiber cloth. By far this is right up there with the best sealants I have used till date in terms of ease of application, removal as well as the looks. I will let the pictures speak.

Again all pictures are from a Mobile camera ( Not much of a camera person guys, please excuse ).

Verdict:-

Manufacturer Claims:- True ( Exception is the durability which I have not tested )
Looks:- 5/5 ( The only sealant which gets my full marks. The closest next being BFWD )
Ease Of application:- 4/5 ( Could have been 5, but things changed after UPGP )
Protection:- Not tested
Over all:- 4.5/5

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-1.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-2.jpg

Oh, a sealant review without a beading shot ?. Here you go.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-beading2.jpg

Disclaimer:- Usual TBHP disclaimer, I am in no way related to the manufacturer or the vendors of this product.I am just an end user sharing the experience.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 25th November 2013 at 16:35.
linuxmanju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 04:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed an awesome thread Pedaltothefloor.

Very informative and precise. It answered many of my waxing problems.

I have one specific requirement:
Which product will give me a lasting deep black colour for atleast a month or so for external unpainted plastic.

All the products I've used so far loose effect within 4 to 6 days.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 09:22   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
It is indeed an awesome thread Pedaltothefloor.

Very informative and precise. It answered many of my waxing problems.

I have one specific requirement:
Which product will give me a lasting deep black colour for atleast a month or so for external unpainted plastic.

All the products I've used so far loose effect within 4 to 6 days.
Glad it was helpful.

External plastic dressings usually need to be reapplied every week or two. The ones easily available in India are Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Meguiar's Hyper Dressing and Carpro PERL. Of these, PERL got me through 3 weeks when used undiluted.

If you want something that lasts longer, try Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. It will certainly last longer than a month and should be available with Ultimate Detailerz. For an even longer lasting dressing, you can try Carpro DLUX. It is a coating and claims to easily last a year. But is expensive at around 3K. I would rather prefer UTTGP which should be around 1.5K and one bottle should get you through a year if you use every month on all trim and tires.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Glad it was helpful.
If you want something that lasts longer, try Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. It will certainly last longer than a month and should be available with Ultimate Detailerz..
Hi,
Thanks again, can you let me know if I can get any contact in hyderabad.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks