Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 00:09   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

How's meg's yellow wax ?

I am thinking buying sealant plus carnauba wax combo for my car ( Color's white ) and I am thinking getting tech wax 2 and a traditonal wax like turtle or something.

To buff the wax off and for drying the car, I am thinking ordering this mf cloths ?

http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...&product_id=70

So, experts please comment on this ?
Old 24th December 2013, 10:08   #122
BANNED

Re: FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax: an end-user review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This review is really incomplete without a durability check.
I have been buying this from Sanjay for a couple of years now and I must say that the products are very durable and offer a long lasting coat.

The seller is also prompt, courteous and I have had no issues till date.

Once I wax up Hariya (My Scorpio), the wax easily retains its qualities for a couple of months if he is not pressure washed.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:44   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
To buff the wax off and for drying the car, I am thinking ordering this mf cloths ?
http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...&product_id=70
The Eurow towels are decent for a start, go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
How's meg's yellow wax ?
If you go back one or two pages on this thread, Thoma has posted a review of Meg's Yellow Wax.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 24th December 2013 at 12:45.
Old 29th December 2013, 15:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0

Not much gloss but oodles of depth. Will let pics talk:

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_3686.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_3689.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_3692.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_3693.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 17:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Have placed an order for the following from Sanjay at Bringingbest website -
- Collinite 845
- Meguiar's Scratch X
- Optimum No Rinse
The service was very prompt and the entire deal was very transparent. Sanjay mailed me in a few hours, and I had requested the products to be delivered within that week, while ordering. He had mentioned that it would not be possible, up front, without any false claims. Looking forward to buy all my future requirements from him.

Edit: My Nanoskin AutoScrub ordered directly from the Nanoskin USA website arrived today. Its been exactly 8 days since I ordered, pretty fast delivery for a product shipped from the USA.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 29th December 2013 at 17:45.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 18:06   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Edit: My Nanoskin AutoScrub ordered directly from the Nanoskin USA website arrived today. Its been exactly 8 days since I ordered, pretty fast delivery for a product shipped from the USA.
That's a very helpful piece of information. Do you mind sharing the details of cost - price and shipping?

P.S. - Your signature had me in splits
Old 29th December 2013, 20:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
That's a very helpful piece of information. Do you mind sharing the details of cost - price and shipping?

P.S. - Your signature had me in splits
The cost was $22.xx and in INR it was close to 1500, do not remember the exact price, as I used my friend's debit card for transaction. Shipping was through U.S. Air and they took care of customs and everything. One bad thing was the person threw the parcel into the hose before we opened the door on hearing the door bell ring. That has nothing to do with either NanoSkin or the U.S.Air guys, just an arrogant person

And I am not sure if my signature making you burst out with laughter is a good thing, as I never intended to do that
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 10:26   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Swirls are unavoidable but with careful maintenance, can be minimized. A good wax will add gloss and depth to the look while protecting it from the elements. However, a wax alone can not minimize swirls.

I would suggest that you get yourself a bottle of Collinite 845 from bringingbest. It looks good, is very durable and the one bottle will last you a very long time. Even if you use it every 3 months, you could easily get 2 years out of it. This will cost around Rs. 1,250.

For something cheaper and easier to use, you could try the small 100ml bottle of Optimum Car Wax from Eco Car Care Asia. They have a Facebook store as well. This is a spray wax and is very easy to use. Just spray, spread and wipe off. It looks good and is durable. It will cost you around Rs. 350
Excellent informative and interesting thread, Pedaltothefloor. The above reply of yours was of great help for me in narrowing down to just two products, though some confusion still remain. I am attaching two current photos of my May 2010 Alto with about 18k on ODO, with just weekend and occasional outstation usage. Maintenance all these 3-1/2 years have been as follows:
1. Wash once in three months using "Zip Wax Wash and Wax" from turtle wax using "old vests."
2. Wash twice a month with plain water, two-bucket method.
3. Covers on always when parked.
4. Vista care Tyre Conditioner once or twice a month, so absolutely nothing used to protect the paint!

Since I am now interested in having a paint protection so as to retain the new-car look for a long time, I request you to clear some of my doubts.
1. I am planning to buy Jopasu duster; hope it does not cause any swirls.
2. Kindly suggest a good car wash shampoo or any other alternative. Also, please suggest the MF cloth that can to be used for washing/drying/buffing wax, need not be a single product.
3. Kindly suggest a good clay bar and clay lube, something that is reasonably priced as well as good.
4. Will I get good paint protection from Collinite 845/Optimum Car Wax and which pad to be used to apply it? Also, would like to know if using any of these products would attract more dust on to the car. If yes, kindly suggest something that does not attract any dust. Are there chances of inducing swirls when using these products?
5. Any other suggestions, advise, etc., would be of great help.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-p1030883.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-p1030884.jpg  

Old 1st January 2014, 11:03   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
1. I am planning to buy Jopasu duster; hope it does not cause any swirls.
Exercise caution while using the duster. It should be used to 'lift' the dirt, not wipe away the dust. I.e only the ends of the strands should be touching the paint and shouldn't be used to clean dried or sticky dust. Don't use on a wet surface. Also use the duster in the direction of air flow over your vehicle, i.e from the front to the back. After every panel or so, shake the duster well to get rid of the dust accumulated.

Quote:
2. Kindly suggest a good car wash shampoo or any other alternative. Also, please suggest the MF cloth that can to be used for washing/drying/buffing wax, need not be a single product.
Try any PH neutral shampoo. Megs NXT, Sonax are all fairly decent ones. Try to get something that you can get locally. Washing, Drying and Buffing are separate stages of detailing and need separate MF cloths. For washing you may need a wash mitt. Something like Auto Craft Wash Mitt.
For drying you need a waffle weave type MF cloth. Something like the Meg's water magnet.
For buffing, you need a high GSM MF cloth. Something like BOA Super Soft Plush Microfiber Towel. Anything around 600 gsm should be fine.

Quote:
3. Kindly suggest a good clay bar and clay lube, something that is reasonably priced as well as good.
Get the clay from Notorious. You may needs a lube like Megs Quick Detailer.
If you need something more, then Bilt Hamber would be fine. It needs plain water as it's lubricant.

Quote:
4. Will I get good paint protection from Collinite 845/Optimum Car Wax and which pad to be used to apply it? Also, would like to know if using any of these products would attract more dust on to the car. If yes, kindly suggest something that does not attract any dust. Are there chances of inducing swirls when using these products?
Waxes are not traditional paint protection agents. They are predominately used to improve the looks. There are quite a few varieties of waxes out these and each caters to a specific need. Some waxes offer looks and protection as well. But bear in mind that waxes tend to attract dust. But in our environment, you need to have a microscopic eye to find the difference anyway.
If you are not informed well, then you may end up introducing swirls at every stage of the detailing process. Read up some of the best practices during washing, drying, waxing to reduce the possibility of swirls.

Quote:
5. Any other suggestions, advise, etc., would be of great help.
If you are looking for paint protection, then some synthetic sealants or coating would help. Before you buy large quantities of it, try some sample sizes and then go for them.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 1st January 2014 at 11:05.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 18:21   #130
BHPian

Would I be correct in assuming that wax is only to add shine to the paint job and does no good to the paint? Whereas a paint sealant protects the paint? Confused that's why the question
Old 1st January 2014, 19:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image119500657.jpg Attaching a couple of pics after a C915 application topped up by FK1000P. Prof. Pedaltometal wasn't very happy to know that inspite of all his inputs , I ended up doing things the wrong way :( I applied the wax ( C915 ) first instead of the sealant ( FK 1000P) I have promised to do things the right way from next time when I get my hands on the clay All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image950082909.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image2025903302.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image461317183.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image3198837159.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image4098945088.jpg  

Last edited by speedsatya : 1st January 2014 at 19:09.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 19:49   #132
BHPian

Any inputs on how to examine for presence of swirls and micro scratches? Under the tube lights available in our basement
parking, nothing is visible to the naked eyes. Is there a technique or some tool, light etc with which one can check this out and
take corrective action? Appreciate inputs, thanks n cheers
Old 1st January 2014, 20:25   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing thread! I am an absolute noob to waxes and paint protection and this did clarify some doubts but also created a lot more . My car is a 4 year old maroon WagonR and has never seen any kind of wax or paint protection. Pics of the car can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...heels-317.html

My cleaning routine is the 2 bucket method and I use a normal shampoo for cleaning the car and then wipe down with a MF cloth. Would like to start detailing the car and I am not much of a gloss person. Prefer depth over gloss and my understanding is that waxes provide this when compared to paint protection.Was considering FK1000P (as they can be used on alloys as well) or Col 915.

The question is should i use something like a DG 101 or UPGP before I apply the wax?? Given that this the first time I will be detailing the car, is this the correct sequence to follow?
1. Wash & shampoo
2. Clay (not sure if this mandatory)
3. DG 101 or UPGP
4. FK1000P or Col 915
Old 1st January 2014, 20:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Any inputs on how to examine for presence of swirls and micro scratches? Under the tube lights available in our basement
parking, nothing is visible to the naked eyes. Is there a technique or some tool, light etc with which one can check this out and
take corrective action? Appreciate inputs, thanks n cheers
Experts use swirl finder lights from brinkman, but for amateur use, a good led torch should suffice. I use an led torch from 'skil' - bought for around Rs 300.

But again, sun light is the best tool. After wash, if you can take out the car in sunlight, and look at the paint from angles - swirls & holograms should be glaringly obvious.

Hope this helps!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 21:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The question is should i use something like a DG 101 or UPGP before I apply the wax?? Given that this the first time I will be detailing the car, is this the correct sequence to follow?
FK1000P is more of a sealant and offers gloss than depth. Since you have not done anything much on the car for 4 years, do not skip claying. And it is said that the best wax/sealant lasts as much good as the surface is prepared.

I do not know of DG101 vs UPGP vs Meg's UC.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks