Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 20:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Glad it was helpful.

External plastic dressings usually need to be reapplied every week or two. The ones easily available in India are Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Meguiar's Hyper Dressing and Carpro PERL. Of these, PERL got me through 3 weeks when used undiluted.

If you want something that lasts longer, try Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. It will certainly last longer than a month and should be available with Ultimate Detailerz. For an even longer lasting dressing, you can try Carpro DLUX. It is a coating and claims to easily last a year. But is expensive at around 3K. I would rather prefer UTTGP which should be around 1.5K and one bottle should get you through a year if you use every month on all trim and tires.
For dressing outside plastics and dashboard, I use waxpol dash and vinyl, polish. It last easily for a month, before i've to apply again.

Also, it's cheap at just 200/- bucks a bottle, which lasts 3 months easily. I apply this on tyres too. Have been using this since last 3-4 years. I'll add a pic, later.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 13:00   #92
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi,
Thanks again, can you let me know if I can get any contact in hyderabad.
You can buy UTTGP, Carpro PERL or Carpro Dlux from http://ultimatedetailerz.webs.com/

You can buy Opti-Bond Tire Gel from https://www.facebook.com/ecocarcare

Both ship all over India.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 10:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Meguiar's M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax: A quick review

@linuxmanju wanted me to put up a review of the M26, so here I go. I am not a detailer but an end user, and hence do not have experience with competing products. I wanted to maintain the shine on my new car and I love water beading. So I started at the bottom and initially went with an EagleOne Liquid NanoWax which costed ~500/-. It is so easy to work with the liquid wax but it just tend to last one week, in my view. And the viscosity of the liquid wax reduced upon standing. So I wanted to go with a bit more durable one and ended up getting the M26 since I did not and still not want to spend much money.

I got the product from autofresh.in but I was terribly dissatisfied with their courier agents, Gati, who took almost 3 weeks to deliver. And autofresh.in is one shop that required the customer's id proof to be sent before dispatch! Finally when the item reached Gati at my place, it was entered as short in number so I had another tussle only to find out the packet was intact. But I have to say that the product was neatly packed and most importantly, I was happy to find the Meguiar's seal present behind the cap of the bottle. But why is the cap black in color and not the color of the bottle as in pictures of the Meguiar's site?

Manufacturer's claim:

Hi-tech yellow wax is a premium yellow carnauba wax blended with silicones, polymers and other waxes. Adds richness and depth of color. Provides ultimate high gloss protection to any previously cleaned and polished paint finish. Made with the highest grade Brazilian Number One Yellow Carnauba Wax. Clear coat safe. Goes on and off easily and does not dry white.

Details:

Packaging: Plastic bottle of 473ml contents
Directions: Apply in shade on a cool surface. Can be applied by hand.
Viscosity: Liquid paste
Color: Yellowish
Scent: Not strong, bit like nail polish when smelled up close.
Price: ~INR 700
Made in: USA

Preparation:

Washed the car with Meg's NXT Car Wash. The surface has not been decontaminated since I bought the car and there are light swirls. I understand that surface preparation is the biggest thing in detailing than the wax or sealant.

Application:

I used an old cotton banian cloth to apply the wax by hand. Put few drops on the cloth and wiped a panel. This is a WOWWA type of wax and I absolutely like working with those. Initially I was rubbing in the wax after spreading on a panel and later only realized that waiting a bit could make things easier. So wait for a few minutes and there you go. Wipe with a clean MF / cotton cloth and you see the glaze on your car. Wipe a few more times to enhance gloss. Not much elbow grease needed. Feel the difference between a waxed and unwaxed surface and you will fall in love with the feel. Your finger just glides over. The product live up to the claim that there is no whitening.

Relatively new car and that too in white color makes things difficult to differentiate from the before and after state. Both below pictures after waxing.

Used up about 1/5th of the bottle. Don't know if I'm using more. But loved the water beading.

The car is mostly staying in the garage for 3 weeks after I used the wax and so cannot exactly comment on the durability. My neighbor also got a bottle of M26 for his black Jetta. Water is beading after a week of heavy use but the glaze has come down. And I have to guess that this is not one among the durable wax.

My impressions:

Glaze : Good. I can't comment further with my white car and less experience with other products.
Durability: I can't comment exactly.
Ease of use: Excellent.
Satisfaction (difference between panels, water beading) just after waxing: Excellent.
VFM?: Not much if used my way - the bottle will last only 5-6 times and I need to reapply every fortnight. 700/- for 3 months [This is a guesstimate as I have not tried it out a second time]
Will I buy another time?: I read that there are better products; want to try a few of them. But I highly recommend M26 for a beginner, to try out what waxing makes a difference.

thoma is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 10:52   #94
BHPian

Beading Shots

Beading shots in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-11.15.13.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-11.15.34.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-11.15.43.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-11.16.01.jpg  

Pedaltothefloor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 10:57   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Beading shots in the rain.
That is v good wax effect. Please share your thoughts the work to be done once you are thro' such rain, just
wipe with a MF towel or let the droplets roll off? Tnx n cheers
Old 10th December 2013, 01:42   #96
BHPian

Heylo, My Black Fortuner is 2 years old has now haziness, sort of white look to the paint. It might be due to the swirls. I in the construction business so dust is unavoidable.

I have used Formula 1 Wax (Original one), Waxpol Gloss shine, Collinite 845. Dont remember about 845, but others tend to attract dust.

Now since its two year old, I think its the time to get the swirls removed. I am a DIY Guy, so want to do it myself.

Please suggest some good swirl remover, polish/wax and sealant.
ThE Godfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:19   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
Please suggest some good swirl remover, polish/wax and sealant.
You can find some good suggestions on waxes and sealants on the first page of this thread and if you read through all the pages, several users have shared their experience with some good waxes and sealants.

For Polishes, you can refer to this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...polishing.html
Old 11th December 2013, 22:26   #98
BHPian

Pure Sealant VS Organic Sealant

Both these cars are wearing a sealant from the same brand with one difference. One is a pure sealant and imparts the typical "Hard Candy" look with lot of gloss and reflectivity. The other is an organic sealant, which means it has some natural ingredients added to it to mimic the look of a wax - depth, warmth and darkening of the color while retaining the gloss and durability of a sealant.

A lot of people often ask what is the real difference between gloss and depth. These are not the best set of pictures to showcase the difference and I now have both the sealants to try side by side on my car. I plan to use one on the front and the other on the passenger door, and hope to be able to capture the difference in looks between the two.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-10.19.58.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20131201-10.20.14.jpg  

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 11th December 2013 at 22:28.
Old 11th December 2013, 22:47   #99
BHPian

Re: Pure Sealant VS Organic Sealant

Quote:
A lot of people often ask what is the real difference between gloss and depth. These are not the best set of pictures to showcase the difference and I now have both the sealants to try side by side on my car. I plan to use one on the front and the other on the passenger door, and hope to be able to capture the difference in looks between the two.
I would like to see the result of your test to understand the difference between depth and gloss. Instead of doors, is it possible to do do the same on each vertical halves of the bonnet? For better visualization, nothing else.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:57   #100
BHPian

Mr Sanjay from bringingbest was out of clay.
Anybody else providing clay in Mumbai?
Old 12th December 2013, 15:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Mr Sanjay from bringingbest was out of clay.
Anybody else providing clay in Mumbai?
Try Autofresh, they may be selling a few brands of clay.
Old 12th December 2013, 20:15   #102
BHPian

Re: Meguiar's M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax: A quick review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Application:

I used an old cotton banian cloth to apply the wax by hand. Put few drops on the cloth and wiped a panel.
Hey thoma, nice write up. I have a small suggestion. One probable reason why you tend to use lot of product is that you use banian cloth to apply wax. It's OK to buff off excess wax, but definitely not to apply. Because the cloth absorbs lot of product.
Get yourself a good foam applicator pad (preferably closed cell). Rinse the foam with water and wring out excess. It should be damp to the touch. You can even prime the pad with the wax by putting a small bead and rubbing it in. (thanks @Pedaltothefloor for this tip). Then go ahead with waxing.
Try this once and you will realize how much lesser product you are going to require because you can do larger section with the same amount of wax. I was actually doing the same mistake, before I went through some articles.
And yeah.. good quality foam pads last forever. I bought 4 pieces of Meg's yellow applicator for Rs.200. The quality is so good that even though I usually compress the 4" foam to the size of a coin, on releasing it strikes back to it's original shape without even a wrinkle. It looks new even after waxing about 6 cars.
But mine are not closed cell type, so tends to absorb a little more than the other.

Last edited by amazer2013 : 12th December 2013 at 20:17.
amazer2013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 10:14   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
It's OK to buff off excess wax, but definitely not to apply. Because the cloth absorbs lot of product.
Get yourself a good foam applicator pad (preferably closed cell). Rinse the foam with water and wring out excess. It should be damp to the touch.
Yeah, right. I got myself this. The cotton terry side is not at all great, any towel cloth is better I felt. But the closed cell foam side for applying wax is good. You tend to use so little.

I didn't know about wetting the wax foam! Won't any tiny water particle get lodged between the panel and the wax? Just my wild thought.

Where did you source Meg's yellow applicator for Rs.200?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 11:22   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't know about wetting the wax foam! Won't any tiny water particle get lodged between the panel and the wax? Just my wild thought.
Don't wet it. It should be moist to the touch but you shouldn't be able to squeeze out water from it. This helps lubricating your pad - avoids little squeaks you may get while applying, and also reduces absorption of wax into the pad itself. And don't worry. Wax is wet by design, which makes it possible to spread on paint. Post application, the moisture evaporates leaving behind the wax to bond to the paint. This is called curing which takes several hours depending on the wax.
Veterans, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Where did you source Meg's yellow applicator for Rs.200?
I don't remember properly. I think snapdeal. However, don't bother since you have a much better pad (closed cell is better)
amazer2013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 09:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

A must listen to all detailing enthusiasts on Coatings, LSP, Water Beading and what it all means. It is long and can get technical, but please bear with it, very informative:

http://shoutengine.com/DriveandProte...od-or-bad-1134
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed