Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 23:11   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
do not skip claying
Do polishes like Sonax Polish or Autoglym Super Resin Polish clean the surface and prepare it for the wax/sealant? Can these be used instead of the clay?
A little apprehensive about claying as I am not sure how it works and what is to be done
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 08:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Ideal procedure would be clay, polish and wax. But getting good clay is difficult. Bringing best have run out of it. And clay is expensive. Good polishing can be achieved with a machine and should use some kind of cutting or polishing pads. Getting all of this is a challenge
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:01   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
A little apprehensive about claying as I am not sure how it works and what is to be done
Don't be. Just watch 5 min video on the foam clay, which is superior to the ordinary clay bar that need to be kneaded and be careful with not to drop on the floor. The very first post of this informative thread could clear much of your doubts. Polishing does not necessarily lift bonded contaminants. And if at all lifted, these contaminants tend to further mar the paintwork being trapped in the applicator pad.

IMO, Sonax polish is pretty average. For the good effects of polishing, you will need a polishing machine. Else, you will soon tire out using elbow grease.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:00   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks. I currently use Ultima Elastrofoam Clay Block sourced from Ultimate Detailerz in Bangalore.
Quote:
Plus, unlike clay; if you drop it by mistake you can simply rinse and reuse...Eco Car Care also sells their version of the Elastrofoam called Optimum Eraser Clay block. Both Elastrofoam and Eraser cost around Rs. 1,500.
Thanks Pedal for this piece of info. I do tend to drop things and hence this might come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
IMO, Sonax polish is pretty average. For the good effects of polishing, you will need a polishing machine. Else, you will soon tire out using elbow grease.
Thanks Thoma! Planing to talk to Eco Car Care and check if they have Eraser.
Plan is to clay and then use FK1000P or Col 915. One other point - my car does have a deep scratch on the drive side door (paint layer has been gouged). Do you think I should get a touch up first before I clay & wax??

Last edited by procrj : 2nd January 2014 at 10:07. Reason: got the answer to the question
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:04   #140
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pedal for this piece of info. I do tend to drop things and hence this might come in handy

Thanks Thoma! Planing to talk to Eco Car Care and check if they have Eraser.
Plan is to clay and then use FK1000P or Col 915. One other point - my car does have a deep scratch on the drive side door (paint layer has been gouged). Do you think I should get a touch up first before I clay & wax??
Yes a touch up should help but the problem is who and where! Most places they will end up causing more damage to surrounding areas like over spray etc. Technically, once touch up is done- you need to wait a few days before putting any wax.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:37   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Yes a touch up should help but the problem is who and where! Most places they will end up causing more damage to surrounding areas like over spray etc. Technically, once touch up is done- you need to wait a few days before putting any wax.
What happens if I do not get the touch up but go ahead and clay & apply FK1000P?
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What happens if I do not get the touch up but go ahead and clay & apply FK1000P?
Later, if you do decide to touch up, you'll have to laboriously and thoroughly remove all traces of wax from that area else the paint wont adhere!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
you'll have to laboriously and thoroughly remove all traces of wax from that area else the paint wont adhere!
I would love to know about such a durable wax! Even the test coat of FK1000P was all gone after I used diesel for removing tar instead of clay or TarX.
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:17   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke to Eco car care and they have the Eraser in stock. Planning to pick this up tomorrow along with Optimum Car Wax (4 oz) as Bringing Best does not have stock of FK1000P small sample. Sunday is the "D" day
I am assuming that OCW can be used on alloys as well. please correct me if I am wrong. Will be great if someone can put together a list of do's and dont's for newbies like me.

Last edited by procrj : 3rd January 2014 at 11:22.
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:28   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Will be great if someone can put together a list of do's and dont's for newbies like me.
List down the step you intend to perform and then the point by point help will follow.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:34   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Step by step detailing:
1. Dust with Jopasu duster
2. Wash car + shampoo using the two bucket method
3. Use Eraser + Lube to clay and prep the surface
3q1. Do I need to mask chrome & plastic parts like door handles, logos
3q2. Wait time before applying OCW
4. OCW spray and spread using the LC applicator pad. Wait for 30 min and apply a second coat (car panels + alloys)
5. Buff using Sonax MF cloth

Future: Planning to pick up the FK1000P sometime next month and apply the same after OCW
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:46   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Step by step detailing:
My two cents: Jopasu duster needs to be used very carefully or not at all. I've seen new swirl marks every time I used it and hence stopped it within a few days of usage. Better to use ONR or similar stuff.
PS: no way associated with any detailing brand.
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:09   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Step by step detailing:
2. Wash car + shampoo using the two bucket method
3. Use Eraser + Lube to clay and prep the surface
3q1. Do I need to mask chrome & plastic parts like door handles, logos
3q2. Wait time before applying OCW
4. OCW spray and spread using the LC applicator pad. Wait for 30 min and apply a second coat (car panels + alloys)
5. Buff using Sonax MF cloth

Future: Planning to pick up the FK1000P sometime next month and apply the same after OCW
IMO you do not need to dust if you are gonna wash it. A pre wash foam soak should be most helpful. If not, just a rinsing with plain water should be good. The aim is to dislodge the loose dust and grime with minimal paint contact.

Also - Eraser is not required for claying.
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:38   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
I've seen new swirl marks every time I used it and hence stopped it within a few days of usage
Have been using this for the last 3 weeks and have not seen any new swirls. There is a way to use this and would suggest that you go through this thread as there are many many people who swear by Jopasu
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...review-58.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also - Eraser is not required for claying.
I thought the Eraser was an easier way to clean & prep the surface and is considered as a replacement to clay
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:49   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Have been using this for the last 3 weeks and have not seen any new swirls. There is a way to use this and would suggest that you go through this thread as there are many many people who swear by Jopasu
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...review-58.html

I thought the Eraser was an easier way to clean & prep the surface and is considered as a replacement to clay
Err, no intention to pick on your words but the last page (currently 58) does quote about formation of swirls on using Jopasu. But that's true for every other type of cleaning aid as well. Scrub too hard on a soiled surface and voila! Since the duster is primarily used on dry surface hence increased chances of swirl formation.

And at the end of the day, "to each, his own"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks