Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 22:14   #211
BHPian

SunnyBoi thanks. Being the owner of a white car, I sure want to know what you mean by different process
for the white - materials or sequence or additional steps/processes? Tnx n cheers
Old 18th February 2014, 13:51   #212
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Hi Experts

Just found this product on ShopClues. I just want to know if this is a genuine 3M product. Please help.

Shop clues 3M Premium Liquid Wax
Old 18th February 2014, 14:01   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
i found the sonax a bit strong. i have switched to muc-off which i got from Shell bunk. That is very soft and has a nice apple smell. finish kare from bb impex is good. next tim i will try different product. for wax collinite seems to be best as of now. u might need to reapply anytime in 3-6 months. i have got a set o hex logic pads. they seem to be good for polishing.
I found Sonax with proper dilution to be quite okay, especially in the rainy season, where the car gets smeared with mud. Of course, I use ONR more often now than Sonax. With the use of Jopasu duster, the frequency of washing the car has come down to once a week or ten days.
As for Collinite, I found Collinite 845 to be a super product, maintaining the shine for anything from 4-6 months. Once you get that sheen, reapplication after 6 months also becomes less strenuous. After getting Collinite 845, I have seldom used my Carnuba wax.
Old 19th February 2014, 14:46   #214
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have gone through this thread religiously and am blown away by the details that this thread provides to newbies like me.

I have a 2 month old Terrano and have been trying to accumulate the products advised by the experts on this forum. Currently, this is the schedule I follow:

1. Dust the car everyday using Jopasu Duster.
2. Weekly wash over the weekends using car shampoo and 2 bucket method.

I also have Meguiars Natural shine for the protection and cleaning on interiors.

I seek your advice as to what other steps and products should i add to my list. I already have a few on my mind.

1. After shampoo wash, Claying - suggestions required? Is clay block better and if it i, which one?

2. After claying, seal it with Collinite 845. Is col 845 a wax or a sealant and is it good as LSP?

3. Should i add Meguiars Ultimate polish before col 845 for those minor scratches on bumper due to heavy traffic?

4. ONR for lubricant during claying and for QD on daily basis after dusting with Jopasu.

Feel free to suggest alternatives on products as I have not ordered for any of the products listed above (most are out of stock).

Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 15:46   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Nemo View Post
Hey guys,

I have gone through this thread religiously and am blown away by the details that this thread provides to newbies like me.

I have a 2 month old Terrano and have been trying to accumulate the products advised by the experts on this forum. Currently, this is the schedule I follow:

1. Dust the car everyday using Jopasu Duster.
2. Weekly wash over the weekends using car shampoo and 2 bucket method.

I also have Meguiars Natural shine for the protection and cleaning on interiors.

I seek your advice as to what other steps and products should i add to my list. I already have a few on my mind.

1. After shampoo wash, Claying - suggestions required? Is clay block better and if it i, which one?

2. After claying, seal it with Collinite 845. Is col 845 a wax or a sealant and is it good as LSP?

3. Should i add Meguiars Ultimate polish before col 845 for those minor scratches on bumper due to heavy traffic?

4. ONR for lubricant during claying and for QD on daily basis after dusting with Jopasu.

Feel free to suggest alternatives on products as I have not ordered for any of the products listed above (most are out of stock).

Thanks
1. Clay you can try - Mothers, Meguiars, Sonus . Contact Keystone enterprises or Ultimate detailerz(Refer TBHP directory) if you cant procure it online.

2. Yes Collinite 845 is a very good LSP. Its a hybrid -More of a wax and less of a sealant

3. I doubt Megs polish will be able to remove scratches on the bumper. If the paint is peeled off then no polish will help. Remember, the megs polish is a very mild cut

4. Yes, dusting daily and QD once a week should be sufficient
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:21   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
1. Clay you can try - Mothers, Meguiars, Sonus . Contact Keystone enterprises or Ultimate detailerz(Refer TBHP directory) if you cant procure it online.
Clays suggested by sagar are traditional clays. You might want to look at OptiEraser, which is reusable clay block. Difference between the two is that if you drop traditional clay, then you have to throw it away whereas clay block can just be washed and used again. Have been using the Eraser the last few months and it has been very easy to use and maintain. Ref post #138 & #166

Anyone here using the Optimum Opti Seal? Want to understand how it compares against UPGP and which might work well for a dark colored car.

Last edited by procrj : 19th February 2014 at 16:45. Reason: added query regarding Opti seal
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:03   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

2. Yes Collinite 845 is a very good LSP. Its a hybrid -More of a wax and less of a sealant

3. I doubt Megs polish will be able to remove scratches on the bumper. If the paint is peeled off then no polish will help. Remember, the megs polish is a very mild cut

4. Yes, dusting daily and QD once a week should be sufficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Clays suggested by sagar are traditional clays. You might want to look at OptiEraser, which is reusable clay block. Difference between the two is that if you drop traditional clay, then you have to throw it away whereas clay block can just be washed and used again. Have been using the Eraser the last few months and it has been very easy to use and maintain. Ref post #138 & #166

Anyone here using the Optimum Opti Seal? Want to understand how it compares against UPGP and which might work well for a dark colored car.

Thanks Sagar and Procrj.

OptiEraser sounds nice and I would give it a try. Does it also require a lubricant like a conventional clay?

Just wanted to know d anything is advisable for a dark colored car (bronze grey) between claying and Collinite 845?
Old 19th February 2014, 17:15   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OptiEraser sounds nice and I would give it a try. Does it also require a lubricant like a conventional clay?
Yes it does. You can use any QD as a lubricant. I have been using ONR as a lubricant
Old 21st February 2014, 18:38   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
It is on my "To Try" list. Why don't you try it and let us know? I am yet to find an Optimum product that isn't great.
This may help http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...-solid-colors/
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 21:00   #220
BHPian

In most of the reviews and videos about claying, I have seen people claying the car while its wet, although, most of TBHp members advise on drying the car before claying. Is there any reason specific reason?

keeping the car wet and cleaning it once and all after claying should save you some precious energy for waxing? Also, is it advisable to wax the car right after claying or should there be a gap of 12 hours or more (assuming I don't need to Polish)
Old 21st February 2014, 21:58   #221
BHPian

Quote:
In most of the reviews and videos about claying, I have seen people claying the car while its wet, although, most of TBHp members advise on drying the car before claying. Is there any reason specific reason?

keeping the car wet and cleaning it once and all after claying should save you some precious energy for waxing? Also, is it advisable to wax the car right after claying or should there be a gap of 12 hours or more (assuming I don't need to Polish)

Claying on a dry surface is a little difficult for beginners. Moreover your clay may stick to the surface. What I do is wash the car, dry it. Then portion by portion I use Mothers Showtime instant detailer to wet the surface(to create friction. you can use water too) and then clay it. Then I dry the area with microfiber. Repeat the process until the entire car is covered.

After this I do not wait. I start waxing (no polish) using mothers spray wax. After this I use Collinite 845 insulator wax (noted you purchased this recently) This is so good. After removing collinite its done. But, I do another coat of Turtle wax ice (paste wax). It leaves a beautiful mild fragrance. (chewing gum kid of). I like it. So, I finish with it.

I do this whole procedure like once in two months.

The regular wash will be just a wash and then a round of Simoniz quick shine!!
connect2prashan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:35   #222
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Today I detailed my car for the first time and I was really looking forward to it as this was also my first detailing session. After watching numerous videos and putting in countless hours going through these various detailing threads on Tbhp, I must say i had the basics clear about the process. But, I must admit, execution is altogether a different thing. Here is a quick summary of the 5 hours well spent.

1. Started the process with dusting the car interiors and washing the floor mats thoroughly. For longevity of Dashboard, used Meguiars Natural Shine and Protectant on Plastics that bear the torture (especially since tints are barred). Wiped the residue off with a MF for a matt finish. Now Dashboard looks clean and refreshed and interiors also smell nice.

2. Car required a thorough wash as there is lot of dust that settles down on the paint due to the ongoing construction in the neighboring areas. So, started with rinsing the exteriors as generously as possible, followed by the shampoo using the 2 bucket method as advised and then drying the car. For drying, I followed a method that i saw on a youtube video in which instead of using the after magnet immediately after the wash, you wipe the car with a damp MF and then putting the drying towel to use. Found it pretty effective and I believe this might reduce the swirls. Only time will tell.
Products used: Formula Wash and wax , Jopasu Magic wipe (damp MF) and X-static Aqua Magnet.

3. Tires and alloys cleaned with Armorall All wheel cleaner to bring those shoes back to their original beauty. Missed having the Hot shine tire foam (next on my list).

4. Next was claying and this was something I was going to do for the first time. I had bought 80 gm clay from Keystone Enterprise yesterday and was itching to see it in action. Also, had got ONR WnW 8oz to be used as a lube for the clay. Found the bar to be a little big, so decided to cut it in 2 and use one for this session. Sprayed the lube pretty generously to ensure that clay moved pretty easily over the surface. A 500 ml solution sufficed for entire Terrano, even though i was pretty liberal at using it. I also clayed the windshield as i was finding it be a little rough while cleaning over the last few days. The surface has become super smooth now and daily cleaning with ONR should keep things simple from here.

Now here comes the interesting bit, Over the last few days wifey had been noticing my obsession with detailing products and related videos. I think some of it must have rubbed off on her as she started asking a lot of questions about the products and their usage. So, for today's session, she decided to accompany me and take a look. She was pretty intrigued by the claying procedure and decided to take matters in her own hands. After a few misses, she started enjoying herself and I also went along as it gave my sore muscles a much needed break and to be fair, she was better at it than I was.

5. Now comes the much awaited part and my favorite, sealing the hard work with a protective layer of Collinite 845. Since I started reading about detailing, I have heard about this product more times that anything else. So, i wanted to see for myself what the fuss was all about, and i must say, I was simply blown away. Using Meguiars applicator pads, i started putting a very thin coat and i was surprised to see how much area a drop of this amazing product can cover. Took my time doing it to the entire car and ensured that there were overlaps while applying. it was already 07:30 pm by now and i was ready to collapse anytime. But, one final step had still remained, Buffing.

Nirmal was really nice when I bought Col 845 and ONR from him yesterday and threw in a plush MF for polishing. The towel did its job really well and at the end of the day, it was great to see the effort bringing out the richness in color and that deep shine.

I was unable to click any pics of the car as it was really dark by the time I was done and pics from phone are not that great. Would try to click a few in the morning and share afterwards.

Attached is a pic of the armory.

Happy Detailing guys.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-photo-9.jpg  

Last edited by Phoenix_Nemo : 22nd February 2014 at 23:42.
Phoenix_Nemo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:34   #223

This is my bike. Got it for college use in 2009. I didn't have much knowledge about waxes back then. Polished it using Motormax cream polish every month. As you can see the bike is five years old and i'm confident the polish has helped because my friends who bought their bikes around the same time as me no longer have a gloss on their bikes. In fact theirs looks more like an aftermarket matte finish. Have learnt a lot from this thread and i'm definitely going to try my hand at detailing the next time i'm home.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-dscn0705.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-dscn0706.jpg  

nigel92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:48   #224
BHPian

Great work Phoenix_nemo!!
Do share some pics!!
I will recommend getting a jopasu duster if you don't have it already.

Because having spent the precious hours in getting the fabulous results, A thorough dusting is required at least twice a day.
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:45   #225
BHPian

Here are the pics from yesterdays detailing session. Sorry for the pic quality, were taken from my phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140548.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140557.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140616.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140624.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140642.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20140223_140715.jpg  

Phoenix_Nemo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks