Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 06:51   #196
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Heard that waxing at regular intervals reduces the gloss on the original paint more quickly than just daily water and occassional shampoo wash. Can someone throw some light on this ? thanks.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:32   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Heard that waxing at regular intervals reduces the gloss on the original paint more quickly than just daily water and occasional shampoo wash. Can someone throw some light on this ? thanks.
You heard it wrong.
If some person told you that, he has exactly zero idea of how to care for the paint on a car. You need to change the topic while having a discussion with him.

Read this for how you should care for your car (make sure you have some time in your hand):

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...are-cycle.html
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 18:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Waxing does not produce gloss. Polishing does. If waxing is producing gloss, then it has fillers which will be washed out. Wax is a protectant.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 20:56   #199
Senior - BHPian

Re: FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax: an end-user review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This review is really incomplete without a durability check.
One month of no wash and very little of dusting; after the application of FK1000P. Finally gave the silver bug a Meg's NXT wash and these are the results. While washing, removing bug spots was way easier. The smooth feel to touch has reduced by 50% or more though water still beads. After drying, I tried to buff up once more and some wax came off on my hand; the fingers were extremely frictional when rubbed. Proof that some wax is still present.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6789.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6791.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6792.jpg

Might be no need to wax another more month, but I doubt if it will last after that. Exceptional durability?
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 21:50   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One month of no wash and very little of dusting; after the application of FK1000P
Seriously tempted to order the FK1000P from BB
Old 18th January 2014, 22:23   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Seriously tempted to order the FK1000P from BB
They seem to have currently run out of the small sample tin. FK1000P has more gloss than depth IMO, which might not be great for many guys especially on dark cars.

But I need input from others whether this is acceptable durability. I do not think so. I was reading that Klasse Sealant Glaze / Duragloss 101/105 could take you 6 months.

Even Meg's M26 could give superb beading initially, but easily wears off. That's why I'm after durability.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 00:35   #202
BHPian

http://www.sonax.com/Products/Premiu...oating-NanoPro

Hi guys, my friends recommended this for our silky gold fortuner. Does any one know about it or give some comments? A sample bottle will be with us next week.
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:24   #203
BHPian

My white Duster is year old, got 3M Sealant done at the time of delivery. I do my own care - California Dust daily, Sonax shampoo wash (monthly), clay and collinite 845 wax once 6 weeks. In between just ONR wash n shine. Want to add a
Sealant treatment before wax once a year or 6 monthly based on reco here. Any brand reco please for the Sealant with
suggestion for frequency of treatment? Much appreciate n cheers
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:46   #204
BHPian

Quote:
But I need input from others whether this is acceptable durability. I do not think so. I was reading that Klasse Sealant Glaze / Duragloss 101/105 could take you 6 months.
FK1000P is as durable as any of the sealants you mentioned here. Claimed durability of 6 months or 1 year is based on the ideal conditions with 100% recommended maintenance schedule along with proper prep before application. My suggestion is if something lasts 2/3 months under Indian condition then its as good as it gets. If you want more then go with a coating.

Just to reiterate, lack of water beading does not necessarily mean that the protection is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
My white Duster is year old, got 3M Sealant done at the time of delivery. I do my own care - California Dust daily, Sonax shampoo wash (monthly), clay and collinite 845 wax once 6 weeks. In between just ONR wash n shine. Want to add a Sealant treatment before wax once a year or 6 monthly based on reco here. Any brand reco please for the Sealant with suggestion for frequency of treatment? Much appreciate n cheers
Collinite 845 is a great product and to the best of my knowledge is a hybrid ( Wax + Sealant ). I personally would recommend you to reduce the schedule from 6 months to 3 months Or if you want something as a top up in between 845 sessions, you could get any good spray wax. Which should enhance the looks as well as protection.

Optimum Car Wax ( OCW ) is one such quality product which can be applied in less than 10 minutes to the whole car and is very durable. Moreover it is very economical to use. Even if you do it once in a month in between sessions your car would be in a great shape.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 23rd January 2014 at 19:48.
linuxmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:26   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
http://www.sonax.com/Products/Premiu...oating-NanoPro

Hi guys, my friends recommended this for our silky gold fortuner. Does any one know about it or give some comments? A sample bottle will be with us next week.
Any feedback on this please ?
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:02   #206
BHPian

Restoring an i10

This car belongs to a close friend of mine and he wanted his work horse to be detailed ( Manjesh, manjeshdali<AT>gmail.com), as I was also longing for a good detailing session after my car, I told him we will do it together.

To start with the car was in a pretty bad shape, a lot of oxidation as it was parked 24/7 outside and a lot wash marring.

Few before pictures, just to give you an idea.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140104_121239.jpg All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140104_121248.jpg

After a tedious washing and claying the fun begins. After doing a couple of test passes with least aggressive approach with Scholl S30 followed by S20B, we settled on to M105 with LC orange pad which gave us the correction we were looking for.

After three passes with S20B and Orange LC Pad, Using Zenith Point.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140104_154907.jpg

As you can see above, the finishing was good but the correction was still not great. So we stepped up to M105 and LC Orange pad which did the trick.

Few after photos.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-toedited.jpg

As seen above M105 did finish good for a compound with very little haze.

However there is no fun without a finishing polish, finished with S30 finishing polish and sealed with a coat of Fourstar UPP.

Final pictures.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-manjeshfront.jpg All about Car Waxes & Sealants-manjeshcenter.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-manjeshrear.jpg

Usual TBHP disclaimer:- I am neither a seller nor a professional detailer and the above detailing was done as a hobby and does not have any monetary benefits or interests associated with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Any feedback on this please ?
@roadjourno Sonax makes no-nonsense products and their new launch BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) is a breakthrough in the market world wide. But the problem is sourcing these Sonax pro grade products in India. I am not sure if anyone here has used the one mentioned in your post. Please be the first to try it out and post a review for our benefit.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 23rd January 2014 at 21:13.
linuxmanju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 20:40   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
My white Duster is year old, got 3M Sealant done at the time of delivery. I do my own care - California Dust daily, Sonax shampoo wash (monthly), clay and collinite 845 wax once 6 weeks. In between just ONR wash n shine. Want to add a
Sealant treatment before wax once a year or 6 monthly based on reco here. Any brand reco please for the Sealant with
suggestion for frequency of treatment? Much appreciate n cheers
i found the sonax a bit strong. i have switched to muc-off which i got from Shell bunk. That is very soft and has a nice apple smell. finish kare from bb impex is good. next tim i will try different product. for wax collinite seems to be best as of now. u might need to reapply anytime in 3-6 months. i have got a set o hex logic pads. they seem to be good for polishing.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 09:35   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing i have noticed about the few premium products is that they don't have a website for themselves. For example, Blackfire, klasse . When you google them you get links to autopia, autogeek etc but no listing of the manufacturer website. But optimum, meguiars, zaino etc do have their own website. Its strange is it not? Who manufacturers them and all is unknown. Much like Daijya helmets!
Old 10th February 2014, 11:30   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Might be no need to wax another more month, but I doubt if it will last after that. Exceptional durability?
I am disappointed with the combination of FK1000P and non-metallic white paint. More especially, I am hating this non-metallic white paint on my Vento. Obviously, white is not dirt happy. More than that, it is a swirl magnet. Next, it is so unsatisfying to apply polish or wax, because it is a pain identifying done and not done surface while on the job. And the sealant does not give as slickness as with metallic paints. Applying Ultimate Polish by hand is another pain.

This is just after a week of using diesel for removing tar and bug + Meg's UP + IPA wash down + FK1000P 2 coats : (on non-metallic white paint)

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6841.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6839.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6838.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6842.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6843.jpg

Whereas, I'm enjoying maintaining the metallic silver paint on the Micra. Tar or bug, whatever be, wiping with plain water does most of the job. And a shampoo wash is all I need to dislodge the tough ones. Thanks to FK1000P here. This was how it looked initially. Now close to 3 months: (metallic silver paint)

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6844.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6845.jpg
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 20:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am disappointed with the combination of FK1000P and non-metallic white paint. More especially, I am hating this non-metallic white paint on my Vento. Obviously, white is not dirt happy. More than that, it is a swirl magnet. Next, it is so unsatisfying to apply polish or wax, because it is a pain identifying done and not done surface while on the job. And the sealant does not give as slickness as with metallic paints. Applying Ultimate Polish by hand is another pain.
White needs a different process to make it shine, unfortunately the usual methods don't work so well.

Not sure if this is the right place but these pictures are after polishing, no Wax/Sealant/LSP yet :

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-qdawip0.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-3zyg061.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-5v7boxv.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-1i4znpb.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks