Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 13:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image1762002298.jpg

Used Meguairs Ultimate Polish followed by Collinite 915. Haven't done any claying yet. Will do that soon.

Also attaching a few pics of the zen. All this was turtle wax platinum series wax paste

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image2723612719.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image3562899652.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image3761431466.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image2490075689.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image2824539442.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image2695844426.jpg  

speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 13:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Looking good!
But, contrary to popular belief, worst place to park a detailed car is under a tree!

If given a choice, i would park my car in an open area exposed to sunlight and UV rather than under a tree!

But, I hope that time never comes!
She's always sleeps under her blankets!

Last edited by sohail99 : 17th December 2013 at 13:19.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 22:44   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Used Meguairs Ultimate Polish followed by Collinite 915. Haven't done any claying yet. Will do that soon.
So how did you like Up and C915? Did you notice that it darkened the paint a bit or did you think it mutes the flakes and thereby reduced the reflectivity? I am keen to know your thoughts about both the products on your silver colored car.
Old 17th December 2013, 23:23   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
So how did you like Up and C915? Did you notice that it darkened the paint a bit or did you think it mutes the flakes and thereby reduced the reflectivity? I am keen to know your thoughts about both the products on your silver colored car.
your questions are too technical for me !
I wasn't happy when I used C915 for the first time. That was when you told me to use as thin as possible. So tried it again today.

There is a difference in the way the car shines for sure. These pics don't do justice. I somehow feel the shine is better now , even better than the 3 M treatment done earlier professionally.

I am attaching this pic taken earlier when I used C915 the first time.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-image98215000.jpg

Dunno if this answers your questions
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 01:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

@pdealtothefloor - Nice thread!

I have tried several waxes and sealants as listed. Shall try to detail on each one of them as and when time permits:

o Waxpol liquid wax
o Meguiar's cleaner wax
o Meguiar's NXT tech wax 2.0
o Auto glym HD wax
o Collinite 845
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@pdealtothefloor - Nice thread!

I have tried several waxes and sealants as listed. Shall try to detail on each one of them as and when time permits:

o Waxpol liquid wax
o Meguiar's cleaner wax
o Meguiar's NXT tech wax 2.0
o Auto glym HD wax
o Collinite 845
Look forward to your reviews. I have a few waxes & sealants currently traveling from US & UK, so pretty excited about that.

In the interim, I am itching to try something available locally and I am torn between FK1000P, FK Pink Wax or one of the Collinites but restraining myself from spending any more money on detailing supplies. So I am desperately waiting for somebody to share some detailed reviews on these waxes here.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 18th December 2013 at 18:34.
Old 18th December 2013, 18:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look forward to your reviews. I have a few waxes & sealants currently traveling from US & UK, so pretty excited about that.

In the interim, I am itching to try something available locally and I am torn between FK1000P, FK Pink Wax or one of the Collinites but restraining myself from spending any more money on detailing supplies. So I am desperately waiting for somebody to share some detailed reviews on these waxes here.
Nice, what are you getting now? Eager to hear.

I have tried FK1000P, it looked too glossy for my taste. never used it on paint again but it was freaking wonderful on alloys.

2 coats on alloys and 5 months later -

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-wuvpstz.jpg

Example of the torture alloys went through, but still looks and beads well :

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-saeq6pw.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am torn between FK1000P, FK Pink Wax or one of the Collinites but restraining myself from spending any more money on detailing supplies.
I've just put FK1000P on my silver Micra and really liked the outcome. I can't perfectly comment between depth/warmth/gloss etc, but there is a candy effect (a sort of clear coat) I liked and to touch the panel whole day, so smooth it is. Fingers or MF just glide over. Not tried water beading yet. The effort I had to put was multiple times than the Meg's 26. You have to take a very small quantity and buff in. Buffing is the key here. I felt a polisher would have been better applying this wax.

And the best part is that you get a small tin for around 400/- from bringingbest, which can easily cover 3 cars/coats. Will try to put a full review as time permits, cant commit when.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:41   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I have two questions.

1.how do I maintain the deep black colour of exterior non painted plastic for 3to6 months
2.how do I get waterbeading effect on alloys which will last for 4 to 6 months
Old 18th December 2013, 19:54   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hey guys,
I have two questions.

1.how do I maintain the deep black colour of exterior non painted plastic for 3to6 months
2.how do I get waterbeading effect on alloys which will last for 4 to 6 months
1. Carpro PERL or Gtechniq C4 - use as directed.

2. Couple of posts back you get to see the live example of FK1000P on alloys - guess you can use that.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meguiar's M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax: A quick review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Will I buy another time?: I read that there are better products; want to try a few of them. But I highly recommend M26 for a beginner, to try out what waxing makes a difference.
Today I washed the car with Meg's NXT after close to two months of sparing use and no dusting or washing in between. Maybe I've a different opinion on Meg's 26 now. The below pictures could say a lot. Durability : not at all great. The only USP remaining: ease of application.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6701.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6700.jpg
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 15:38   #117
BHPian

Re: Meguiar's M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax: A quick review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Maybe I've a different opinion on Meg's 26 now. The below pictures could say a lot. Durability : not at all great.
Good to see real life test of ease of use and durability. There are several factors that can affect durability including the quality of prep before applying the wax, weather, parking conditions etc. But your results are in line with the general consensus on this wax on several international forums. It is not rated high on durability but it is known to add richness to the color.

Quote:
Gtechniq C4, Carpro DLUX, Ultima Trim & Tire Guard Plus. All of these claim to last for many months. Dressings like Opti Bond Tire Gel & Carpro PERL need to be reapplied every other week at least.

Quote:
how do I get waterbeading effect on alloys which will last for 4 to 6 months
Check out Post # 112 on this thread and you will notice water beading from FK 1000P on the alloys. I doubt it will last up to 4 months but the user can confirm that better.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 19th December 2013 at 15:43.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:22   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a few waxes & sealants currently traveling from US & UK, so pretty excited about that.
Any chance you are getting the Once-A-Year Nu Finish Car Polish? Or do you know anything about it? Have heard good reviews on some forums. Not that I'm going to buy, but felt like knowing about it.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:55   #119
Senior - BHPian

FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax: an end-user review

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6696001.jpg
No, this is not a picture of the Moonstone gem my dad wears.

I was looking for durability in a wax and read that FinishKare Hi Temp Paste wax (aka FK BWM101 or 1000P) is good at that. Moreover, bringingbest.in had stock of the small sample tin, so I didn't have to worry about spending big money. It costs ~400/-. Dealing with Sanjay of bringingbest.in was a breeze and he is one who responds to your queries ASAP. Just because I had to add him as an NEFT third party to wire the money, the process took extra 2 days. At the same time, I had placed an order with autotrends.in and was surprised at their speed of dispatch and delivery. Bought a DG dual use foam applicator for around 200/- from Sanjay along with the wax.

Manufacturer's claim:

Made from a blend of synthetic waxes to obtain a high degree of consistent quality. The most important attributes of this wax blend are hi melting points and greater hardness than natural waxes. Thus, the resulting film provides not only the high gloss but resistance to wear from heat, water and other natural causes. It is great for all painted, chrome and fiberglass surfaces found on Marine, Aircraft and Automotive finishes. It is easy to use and easy to wipe off.

Details:

Packaging: 56.7 gm old-school type small sample tin
Directions: Apply with a clean and soft cloth onto an already clean surface in a overlapping circular pattern for uniform film. Allow to dry and wipe off residue with soft cloth. Then buff to a bright, hard, slick and protective finish.
Viscosity: Dried paste
Color: Yellowish
Scent: Not strong. Smell up close and it reminded me of the wax garages used on my dad's old Padmini
Price: INR 395
Made in: USA

Preparation:

Washed the car with Meg's NXT Car Wash. Couldn't get hold on to a sample clay bar and didn't want to spend 1700/- for the Elastrofoam clay foam now. Surface preparation is the biggest thing in detailing than the wax or sealant. There were bug and tar marks all over the side and tree sap, bird poo leaving a light discoloration on the roof. This time, I decided to go with diesel spray and removing much contaminants by hand. Tough job to keep the diesel away from rubber and plastic and to remove umpteen number of spots. Washed the car thoroughly another time to remove the diesel film leftover.

Application:

Applied by hand using the closed foam side of the DG dual use applicator pad. The key is really to buff in the wax in circular motion. Just rub the applicator against the wax in the tin and start buffing a panel in circles till you can notice a uniform circular pattern. It is difficult to judge how much wax you take on to the applicator pad. A polisher would highly reduce the manual labor of buffing here. Wait for a few minutes and wipe off with an MF cloth. Here also, wiping multiple times will clear off the wax and leave a super slick panel. Take care not to over apply the wax else you will have a hard time wiping off. What is left is like a coat of clear. I liked it, I love to glide my fingers over all day; but the effort was too much. Now I realize the need for a Jopasu duster.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6610.jpg
Buff in buff in and buff in.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6624.jpg
1-2 pass of buffing is not enough.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6625.jpg
See the pattern spreads evenly after several buffs.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6628.jpg
After doing some panels, even when you don't take wax from the tin, your pad holds enough wax to buff a section. This is what is left after I was done with the whole hatchback. Close to 1/3rd used up.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6630.jpg
The wax and the applicator pad. The pad may not outlast the wax.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6631.jpg
Sanjay of bringingbest.in suggested a similar application to Collinite 915 Marque D` Elegance.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6634.jpg
Different passes while buffing.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6639.jpg
Repeated circular buffs do the trick.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6621.jpg
Before and after does not do well in pictures. Touch and water beading are the best feelers. Front door (to the left) undone and rear (to the right) done with buffing off.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6645.jpg
Bonnet all done.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6650.jpg
Basking in the sun. Sorry, alloys not done.

Impression:

Glaze : Excellent with good water beading initially. Bit candy like, which I personally liked for the silver Micra.
Durability: Can't comment exactly. Will come back on this later.
Ease of use: Moderately difficult.
Satisfaction (difference between done and undone panels, water beading) just after waxing: Excellent. Touch and you'll want to touch more.
VFM?: Yes I guess. INR 400/- would get you 3 coats minimum. Further comments after checking durability.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6696002.jpg
A bigger, unedited but cropped picture of the opening shot.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6696.jpg
Yet bigger. the original snap.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6691.jpg
Demonstration of surface tension. See the pool of water held in between the logo.

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6687.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6683.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6670.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_6694.jpg

And finally a YouTube upload of the water beading.

Disclaimer: This review is really incomplete without a durability check. I may have digressed into my experience with the application process and the pictures, more than the product review itself; not sure but this seems a long review.
thoma is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:35   #120
BHPian

Very well written Thoma, I enjoyed reading every word of it and those lovely pictures of the water beading are inspiration enough to keep me busy over the weekend.

FK 1000P is popular for creating the hard candy/extremely reflective paint surface and will always look better on silver/white paint. I would like to see how it looks on dark colors so if you have a bike or another car, do give it a shot. I suspect it would be too glossy on darker shades and most people may not like it. However, that's exactly what I thought about BH Auto Balm but I was surprised by the looks of that paste sealant as despite being very reflective, it had some depth to it.

FK 1000P is definitely on my list now and I must try it sooner or later, as the proof of the pudding is in the eating
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks