Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 19:02   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

My first attempt at car detailing.

Car: WagonR Duo Vxi 2009
Condition: Never been detailed before. Only washed regularly using water+Shampoo
Products used:
1. Optimum Opti Clay block
2. ONR strong solution as QD
3. Optimum Car Wax
3. Sonax MF cloth

Step 1: Washing + Shampoo
Used the 2 bucket method to wash, shampoo the car. Then cleaned and wiped down dry using a combo of cotton towels & MF cloth

Step 2: Claying
- Added around 15 ml of ONR to 500 ml of water and transferred the same to a spray bottle
- Washed the clay bar and sprayed a little of the above solution on it
- Sprayed the lube onto the driver door panel and lightly ran the clay block over the surface

Dirt & grime from the surface
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-dirt.jpg

- Wipe the section immediately with a clean MF cloth and you can clearly see the shine on it thanks to ONR

Shine on you crazy diamond
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-qd1.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-qd2.jpg

- Completed the entire car including the roof in 35-40 min. Was very patient and did some section over as there still seemed to be some dirt
- Can feel the difference when you run your fingers over sections that have been clayed clean & compare with other sections where its not all that smooth

Note:
- In some places could feel the clay grip and kind of drag over the surface. Primarily the bottom half of the door panels which are near the wheels
- Spray lube generously else you will pink streaks on the panels which quickly dry into whitish stains which look very ugly

Step 3: Applying the Wax
- 1st coat: spray and lightly spread using a clean MF cloth
- 2nd coat: wait for 30 min and then repeat above
- Buff with a clean MF cloth and watch the car glow

Slightly glossy but super reflective
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw1.jpg

Buttery smooth to touch
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw2.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw3.jpg

Scratches still visible. Did I not use enough wax? Or do I need something like Col 915 to fill these?
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw4.jpg

Nothing cloudy about that!
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw5.jpg

The Wet Black look
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-pw6.jpg

Note:
- Washed the clay block and rinsed it well. No visible dirt particles but can see small pores on the surface
- Think this is due to the dirt particles being dislodged from the clay during the water rinse
- After drying, it feels almost as good as new and ready to use. I did use both sides while claying the car

Last edited by procrj : 4th January 2014 at 19:08. Reason: added the status of the clay
procrj is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 20:08   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
My first attempt at car detailing.

Car: WagonR Duo Vxi 2009
Condition: Never been detailed before. Only washed regularly using water+Shampoo
Products used:
1. Optimum Opti Clay block
2. ONR strong solution as QD
3. Optimum Car Wax
3. Sonax MF cloth
The car looks very good. Thank you for sharing the review. How did you source the Clay Block and how is the usability compared to traditional clay bars? I know that Keystone stocks it. Traditional clay bar is not for me as I keep dropping them.
Old 4th January 2014, 20:16   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Exercise caution while using the duster. It should be used to 'lift' the dirt, not wipe away the dust. I.e only the ends of the strands should be touching the paint and shouldn't be used to clean dried or sticky dust. Don't use on a wet surface. Also use the duster in the direction of air flow over your vehicle, i.e from the front to the back. After every panel or so, shake the duster well to get rid of the dust accumulated.

Try any PH neutral shampoo. Megs NXT, Sonax are all fairly decent ones. Try to get something that you can get locally. Washing, Drying and Buffing are separate stages of detailing and need separate MF cloths. For washing you may need a wash mitt. Something like Auto Craft Wash Mitt.
For drying you need a waffle weave type MF cloth. Something like the Meg's water magnet.
For buffing, you need a high GSM MF cloth. Something like BOA Super Soft Plush Microfiber Towel. Anything around 600 gsm should be fine.

If you are looking for paint protection, then some synthetic sealants or coating would help. Before you buy large quantities of it, try some sample sizes and then go for them.
Thanks a lot Mudhalaipatti; really helpful
Old 4th January 2014, 20:22   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The car looks very good. Thank you for sharing the review. How did you source the Clay Block and how is the usability compared to traditional clay bars? I know that Keystone stocks it. Traditional clay bar is not for me as I keep dropping them.
Thanks Patience.
Purchased the Optimum Clay block from eco car care infantry road.The block is very easy to use but can't compare with traditional bar as I have never used bars. You can drop these all u want as its very easy to wash and get t dirt off
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 21:06   #170
Senior - BHPian

Good first try. Did you have to apply pressure on the clay block while claying?

Quote:
Scratches still visible. Did I not use enough wax? Or do I need something like Col 915 to fill these?
Those scratches seem deep, the clear and the paint coat seem missing. If that is the case, only a repaint or touch up can add paint to it, not any wax or sealant.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 23:24   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Good first try. Did you have to apply pressure on the clay block while claying?
No pressure. Just gentle anti clockwise swipes with lots of lube.

Quote:
Those scratches seem deep, the clear and the paint coat seem missing. If that is the case, only a repaint or touch up can add paint to it, not any wax or sealant.
Plan to take it to Trend auto in Feb and get all the dents and scratches fixed. Was even considering a repaint but I think I will put that off till mid next year
Old 5th January 2014, 09:36   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Applied Soft99 Fusso Light on the car and here are the results:
OT - SunnyBoi your ride seems to have lost its alloys. The car in the photoshoot thread sports silver alloys
Old 5th January 2014, 12:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT - SunnyBoi your ride seems to have lost its alloys. The car in the photoshoot thread sports silver alloys
Alloys got bent and I was in no mood on buying new alloys. Went with steel wheels instead, they don't look too shabby plus can skip cleaning alloys from now since its the task I dread the most.
Old 5th January 2014, 21:05   #174
Senior - BHPian

Wiped off the Fusso Dark on the bike and tried Sonax PNS. Awesome stuff!

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140104_170011.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20140104_170119.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 18:15   #175
BHPian

After reading all this, I have bought a few products today.
Formula 1 100 Washes - Not sure how good it will be. But thought of giving it a try.
Formula 1 Scratch Out Polishing Compound - To remove those minor swirls.
Formula 1 Carnauba Wax - I know there are other good ones in the market, but they didn't stock others in Metro Mall, Mumbai.
Sonax Car Sponge.
Sonax MF Cloth.

My car is 2 years old and has not been through a lot of stress. I am planning to go on a holiday and so decided to give it this "SPA" treatment before going.
Experts, will this suffice? How should I use them? Any particular order that I should follow?
Old 9th January 2014, 20:57   #176
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a new Glistening Grey DZire & am completely undecided on how to take care of the exterior of the car.
3M paint sealant for Rs3500 seems to be on the higher side.
So I am planning to do it myself.

I do not want a shiny glossy look. I just want a rich look & the protection of the surface from developing the ugly swirls. So, basically I want a thick wax coating on my car.
Please suggest a moderately priced good wax.
I am a complete noob in this respect, so please guide what are the steps that should be followed. As it is the new car, so I guess I won't be needing the claying & the polishing part.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:39   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a new Glistening Grey DZire & am completely undecided on how to take care of the exterior of the car.
3M paint sealant for Rs3500 seems to be on the higher side.
So I am planning to do it myself.

I do not want a shiny glossy look. I just want a rich look & the protection of the surface from developing the ugly swirls. So, basically I want a thick wax coating on my car.
Please suggest a moderately priced good wax.
I am a complete noob in this respect, so please guide what are the steps that should be followed. As it is the new car, so I guess I won't be needing the claying & the polishing part.

For new cars that have very light or no swirls, generally need the following steps are recommended:
  • Wash
  • Decontaminate (clay or clay substitute+iron decon+tar decon) - you should see how they store and ship cars !
  • Light paint cleaning with a non abrasive polish/paint cleaner.
  • Seal with synthetic sealant/carnauba wax (cheaper, less durable) OR coat using various synthetic coatings available (pricier, more durable)

If you are unsure or unwilling to do this yourself, contact a good detailer available in your city via the tbhp directory (if available).

If you are willing to do it yourself, read on:
  • Wash using a good foaming shampoo. Detailers use any citrus based wash, or often use dish soap as there is no wax/sealant on the car to protect, and a strong dish soap removes everything with a hint of grease/wax. Personally, if you are not sure about using dish soap (e.g Dawn, Pril), use a good car shampoo.

• You have a lot of options in this stage - you can either get some clay and clay the car using quick detailer as lube (after drying the car).
    Or you can use nanoskin speedy prep sponge while the car is wet.
    Or nanoskin speedy prep towel / DA pads on a DA machine.
    Or you can use elastofoam with QD.

• You can then use Iron out/Iron X to get rid of the ferrous particles, and oblitarate/tar x to get rid of tar.
    Again read up on how to use these.

• Use a 'non abrasive polish / paint cleaner' - you can apply it via small applicator foam pads. Mostly this polish would have low/no cut (will not take out any paint/clearcoat). Items from this page are ideal examples - http://www.detailedclean.in/Paint-Cleansers/

• wipe down the entire car with 10-15% IPA solution after polishing to remove the polishing oils and better prep the surface for LSP (last step product) bonding

• Use a good carnauba based wax / synthetic sealant - mostly these are applied via foam pads, and buffed off using microfiber clothes. I would suggest Collinite 845 x 2 layers separated by 12 hrs. Reasonable price, easily available & easy to use.
    IMO coatings as DIY are a little too early for you - so skipping that part.

Whatever you choose - look it up online or in this forum.

Myself or others shall surely help you (and correct any mistakes that I may have made) for any further queries.

N.B - not promoting any store in this post - sample suggestions as end user only.

Last edited by blackasta : 9th January 2014 at 22:40.
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 07:55   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
After reading all this, I have bought a few products today.
Hi Dipak - what you are missing is a claybar. Need to do this before you wax or apply a sealant. Do refer to the above post for more details on the steps
Old 10th January 2014, 10:00   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For new cars that have very light or no swirls, generally need the following steps are recommended:
Can we also analyze the approximate economics involved in these steps? For a newbie into detailing could think it much easy on the pocket than the 'teflon' coating from the dealership. As per my knowledge, the so called 'teflon' coating is just a wax application than anything else. Can we also consider for how many applications a product can be used on an average.

Eg: (please add/correct; usages are a wild guess)
Shampoo/QD - ONR - 600[~15 use]
Clay - BiltHamber - 1500[~4 use] (or Elastrofoam - 1750[~20 use])
De-contaminant - TriX - 50ml x 2 - 1400 [1 use]
Paint Cleanser - Sonus - 950[~10 use]
Wax - Collinite 845 - 1400[~5 use]
Duster for maintenance - Jopasu - 600[~6 -12 months]

And polisher, pads, MF cloths, applicators, duster? Polishes, sealants, plastic and rubber maintenance too might be needed as the car ages.

First time investment comes close to INR 7k including MF cloth and applicator. But, per use, it comes to 40+370+1400+95+280 = 2185. Better if we can calculate per month usage, as it will be much lesser, due to no need to use clay, TriX and cleanser every month.

How about the economics of giving the car to a detailer once every 6 months and maintaining it with dusting/washing/waxing in between?

Last edited by thoma : 10th January 2014 at 10:05.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 10:26   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Use a good carnauba based wax / synthetic sealant - mostly these are applied via [foam pads, and buffed off using microfiber clothes. I would suggest Collinite 845 x 2 layers separated by 12 hrs. Reasonable price, easily available & easy to use.
Do I need to buy some branded foam pad or just a local (20 rupees) foam will suffice?
And can you also explain "the buffed off using microfiber clothes" part.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks