Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 05:56   #361
BHPian

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

It's a VW polo Comfortline TDI, I just bought the VCDS from the link above, any must have accessories for a new car(I got Cleaning accessories covered) that can be sourced from Aliexpress ?

thanks for the help
kishore
Old 19th May 2016, 19:04   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, need some assistance. I bought one of the $25 VAGCOM adapters off Aliexpress and it came with a mini-CD. Unfortunately I do not have a CD/DVD drive in my laptop and I cannot install the included software.

I downloaded the official Ross-Tech software from their site, installed and connected the same but it is not working. the message when I test the USB port is that the port is active but car is not connected. My Octavia ignition was on but its still not connecting. Any tips please?
Old 19th May 2016, 19:30   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gents, need some assistance. I bought one of the $25 VAGCOM adapters off Aliexpress and it came with a mini-CD. Unfortunately I do not have a CD/DVD drive in my laptop and I cannot install the included software.

I downloaded the official Ross-Tech software from their site, installed and connected the same but it is not working. the message when I test the USB port is that the port is active but car is not connected. My Octavia ignition was on but its still not connecting. Any tips please?
The cable will not work with Ross Tech software. You will have to install from the CD. Use a desktop PC that has a CD drive and copy the files from the CD to a thumb drive and then install on the laptop from the thumb drive.

First uninstall the already installed Ross Tech version.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 19:51   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You will have to install from the CD.
Thanks, Ganesh.

Yup, have conned my neighbor into letting me use his laptop later this evening .

Have to bear his hideous jokes for an hour as a price.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2016 at 20:35. Reason: Can leave out the unwanted bits (Rule #11). Thanks!
Old 20th May 2016, 02:14   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
It's a VW polo Comfortline TDI, I just bought the VCDS from the link above, any must have accessories for a new car(I got Cleaning accessories covered) that can be sourced from Aliexpress ?

thanks for the help
kishore
Nothing very unique that you might find, Apart from chrome fitments and some VW stickers maybe? I guess seat covers and mats can be easily sourced locally so no point buying it from there.
Old 20th May 2016, 09:45   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The cable will not work with Ross Tech software. You will have to install from the CD. Use a desktop PC that has a CD drive and copy the files from the CD to a thumb drive and then install on the laptop from the thumb drive.

First uninstall the already installed Ross Tech version.
Tried out the included software. It seems to have a couple of trojans including in the crucial RT_USB.dll file without which the application will not run.

Can anyone point me to a 'safe' version on the Net which will work with these generic adapters?
Old 21st May 2016, 05:42   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tried out the included software. It seems to have a couple of trojans including in the crucial RT_USB.dll file without which the application will not run.

Can anyone point me to a 'safe' version on the Net which will work with these generic adapters?
As the software that comes with the cables is cracked, you may get errors from some antivirus software. I would suggest you write to the vendor and ask his clarification on this.

To my knowledge, there is no "safe" version of the software for the RossTech replicas, as all the software provided with the AliExpress cables are cracked versions.

RossTech has a Lite version of their software that can work with some third party cables, but this version does not allow coding, it only allows reading errors. If you want a really safe software that allows to do coding, then the only option is to buy the original RossTech cable.
Old 22nd May 2016, 01:24   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are supposed to switch off your internet and close any antivirus program you may have active for the software to run correctly, Still message the seller regarding this alert, There is no safe version on the net.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 07:25   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer. Unfortunately switching off AV is simply not an option on either of my laptops. My work laptop is untouchable and I carry out all my banking and ecommerce on my personal one. Wish I had known this earlier.

Another query is whether the Skoda ECU Will work with a generic ELM327 adapter? I already have a BT enabled one along with Torque Pro on my phone.
Old 27th May 2016, 12:36   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Tanveer. Unfortunately switching off AV is simply not an option on either of my laptops. My work laptop is untouchable and I carry out all my banking and ecommerce on my personal one. Wish I had known this earlier.

Another query is whether the Skoda ECU Will work with a generic ELM327 adapter? I already have a BT enabled one along with Torque Pro on my phone.
Yes it does work fine without any issues.
Old 30th May 2016, 23:22   #371
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried changing the ODO km's reading? Its shocking how easily the ODO reading can be changed via VCD's, I too had reached at a step where i just had to enter a new ODO reading. Will have to keep in mind if i tend to purchase a used german ever!
Old 30th May 2016, 23:28   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think you can change odo with just vcds. There are separate tools and software for that
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 19:06   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I dont think you can change odo with just vcds. There are separate tools and software for that
I went digging in the instrument cluster - Adaptation, Where i stubbled upon ODO reading, There was a bracket where my current ODO running was present, And i could change it and click on Do it! I din't have the guts too.

A little digging over the internet is confusing too, Some say the reading can only be taken forward, Or it can be used to put your original reading if you have to install a new cluster for any reasons.

Never going to try and change it anyways.
Old 31st May 2016, 23:14   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Never going to try and change it anyways.
You could try incrementing it by 1KM just to see if it works.

Meanwhile I successfully set up the hard speed limit setting on the ECU. I set the speed to 100KMH to test and the acceleration stops right there. It's a great feature if you want to control the speed your kid/spouse drives the car at.
Old 1st June 2016, 00:00   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
You could try incrementing it by 1KM just to see if it works.
Maybe, Will dig some more information about it first though, Just to be sure and safe.

Quote:
Meanwhile I successfully set up the hard speed limit setting on the ECU. I set the speed to 100KMH to test and the acceleration stops right there. It's a great feature if you want to control the speed your kid/spouse drives the car at.
Can you let us all know some more information about it? Which car did you did this on and how, Would be really helpful specially for those parents who have given their young kids a german car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks