Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 13:06   #451
BHPian

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
Could you please elaborate on what have you done for DSG Readaptation ?

Thanks
Hi Mitz,

Refer to my post here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3989052
Old 5th October 2016, 15:33   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Bought the cable from AliExpress [/indent]
Hi,
Sorry for quoting you but I do not have PM access yet. I have a Skoda Yeti in Kolkata and planning to install the following : 1 : Rear parking sensor with OPS support and 2 : RCD 330g plus (6.5 inch screen version) .
Still a long way to go as zeroing on the seller from aliexpress etc and after that the shipping will also take time.
I am not sure if the installation of both of these units will be a plug and play or will take some setting change vis VCDS. So was wondering if you are based in Kolkata and if you are, will it be possible for me to borrow ( basically come to you wherever you are) your VCDS cable ?
Thanks in advance
Old 6th October 2016, 00:44   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Hi,

Sorry for quoting you but I do not have PM access yet. I have a Skoda Yeti in Kolkata and planning to install the following : 1 : Rear parking sensor with OPS support and 2 : RCD 330g plus (6.5 inch screen version) .

Still a long way to go as zeroing on the seller from aliexpress etc and after that the shipping will also take time.

I am not sure if the installation of both of these units will be a plug and play or will take some setting change vis VCDS. So was wondering if you are based in Kolkata and if you are, will it be possible for me to borrow ( basically come to you wherever you are) your VCDS cable ?

Thanks in advance

Hey, little OT but can you tell me more about RCD-330G plus? From where you sourced it? And does it support Apple CarPlay?
Old 7th October 2016, 00:05   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Hey, little OT but can you tell me more about RCD-330G plus? From where you sourced it? And does it support Apple CarPlay?
I have not bought or ordered it yet. I will order it from Aliexpress. Funny thing is the listings of this unit I saw last night do not exist anymore. There was one for around 16k with 15-20 days delivery. Guess they are in limited numbers and you should scan the site for a couple of days when you are ready to order. This unit has inbuilt bluetooth+mic, bigger better (faster, more responsive to touch etc) screen than RCD510, no CD player and it does not support Apple CarPlay. It supports android mirrorlink.

Stumbled upon this site through a youtube video https://obdeleven.com seems like a very cheap alternative to VCDS. Anyone knows about it ?
Old 7th October 2016, 09:19   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Stumbled upon this site through a Youtube video https://obdeleven.com seems like a very cheap alternative to VCDS. Anyone knows about it ?
sivasain has bought it and posted a couple of times: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3987570

Youtube:

VW forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...a-short-review

Am also considering it for my Octavia TSI DSG.

Just bought the OBDEleven PRO from their site :-)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th October 2016 at 11:39. Reason: B2B posts merged.
Old 18th October 2016, 16:06   #456
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Praveenkumar for sharing this!

Don't play around with the top speed setting .

Quote:
My background is that I own a VW Polo GT TSI 2015 model, it is 10 months old, 10k on odo and I have done considerable DIY projects, some of which are inspired by your forum.

Recently I was going through the VCDS thread and learnt about various settings available to enable some features. I went ahead and bought a Chinese cable (version 15.7.1) and it worked out of the box. Now coming to the point, there was a discussion going on the thread about setting the speed limit of the car through VCDS settings and I also thought of experimenting with it.

There is a setting available under engine module> adaptations> Static maximum speed limit and by default it was set at 250 km/h. I went ahead and changed it to 100 km and this was accepted by the module. Later I took out the car for a drive to test it and the speed maxed out at 100 km.

I realized that it works and came back to set it back to 250 km and to my horror, the module was not accepting the changes and started throwing errors. I tried several times but in vain and I panicked. I googled about the issue on various VW forums and to my disbelief, I learned that the speed limit can only be set downwards from the current value and not vice versa!!!

The Ross tech company has clearly mentioned about this on their forum - not to fiddle with the speed limit unless you wish to do so as the changes are permanent and can never be restored to default. It was too late for me. I thought and started searching for the solution and I found out that ECU flashing with reprogramming is the only way out of this self inflicted mess.

I booked an appointment at the VW service centre and handed over the car to them for the treatment.

Meanwhile, I thought of bringing this matter to your notice and alerting members of the forum and other readers, so that people restrain from committing the same blunder as I did.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 16:42   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Later I took out the car for a drive to test it and the speed maxed out at 100 km.

I realized that it works and came back to set it back to 250 km and to my horror, the module was not accepting the changes and started throwing errors. I tried several times but in vain and I panicked. I googled about the issue on various VW forums and to my disbelief, I learned that the speed limit can only be set downwards from the current value and not vice versa!!!

I have done this myself on my 2013 GT TSI. It works fine and I restored it as well. There are two adaptions related to top speed. One of them is user settable speed limit. The other one is limit set at the engine level.

I guess the user settable limit is changeable. Other one is not.

There is another setting called speed-warning. Which is give continuos beeps above 120km/h.
Old 18th October 2016, 17:36   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This was the ONLY reason, I did not tinker with that, Even though i was very curious to try it out, Eventually i talked sense into myself and did not make a change, Thanks GTO & Praveen for sharing this, Guys, Please be careful while doing changes with the VCD's, Please do only what you have knowledge about and some preparation before hand isn't a bad idea either,

A similar situation that happened with me, When i had activated the ESP test function in my jetta, Which resulted in the ABS and ESP light blinking and obviously they got disabled, To enable it back i had to drive the car in a specific way, A video of it, Trust me, Never touch this function as well.

I had a tough time find the right place to do this, Eventually i found one at BKC.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 18th October 2016 at 17:57.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:36   #459
BHPian

I discovered yesterday that on engaging the reverse gear in my Polo the front fog lights come on if the headlight is on and upon disengaging the reverse gear, it goes off.
I would have preferred it to come on with the parking light alone instead of headlights because I am in a habit of switching off the headlight while reversing. Is there a VCDS tweak for this? I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:30   #460
BHPian

Hi,

I have recently come across VAGCOM 16.8 cable with over 250 orders on aliexpres. Has anyone used this particular version? Are these safe for use? Is the original Ross-Tech version (HEX-NET) worth $450? I am a newbie when it comes to VCDS. I would like to explore and learn. I am also planning to change the head unit on my car as well, for which i might require a VCDS cable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:08   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

I have recently come across VAGCOM 16.8 cable with over 250 orders on aliexpres. Has anyone used this particular version? Are these safe for use? Is the original Ross-Tech version (HEX-NET) worth $450? I am a newbie when it comes to VCDS. I would like to explore and learn. I am also planning to change the head unit on my car as well, for which i might require a VCDS cable.

Thanks in advance.
If you are into serious modding of the car like engine components, BCM upgrade etc., then the original Ross Tech cable could be worthwhile. But for minor modifications like adjusting number of flashes for lane change, enabling tear wipe, cluster celebration etc., in my opinion, it is not worth.

Regarding safety, even with Ross Tech cable, if you make the wrong settings, it could harm the car. So Ross-Tech or Chinese, there is always an element of risk involved while using VCDS for coding. Reading fault codes is totally safe though.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:18   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you are into serious modding of the car like engine components, BCM upgrade etc., then the original Ross Tech cable could......

Dear graaja
Thanks a lot for answering my queries!!
Initially, I am looking for some basic tweaks and reading fault codes.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:50   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Have you got yours? Any update over it? I took the plunge and ordered a 16.8 version for myself as well which was shipped in a day! Waiting to get my hands on it, Will post here once i get to use it and see how much more can be explored more than the 15.7 version.
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:35   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Have you got yours? Any update over it? I took the plunge and ordered a 16.8 version for myself as well which .......
I just placed an order for version 16.8.3. You would be getting it first then, looking forward to the review from you.
Old 23rd December 2016, 16:03   #465
BHPian

Hello guys,

I'm using VAG-COM 16.8 cable from over a month and it's running fine. Not sure what's new in this version but it's running fine. I got it from lady seller who used to sell those on aliexpress.

PM me if you want contact details.

Most Viewed