Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 17:50   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: VAG-COM Setup needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
This is what I think could be the problem. The software that came to me is the 17.8.1 version. When I installed it on my laptop and launched it, there was a pop-up of an update of the newer version which is 18.2.1 and which I updated. Last night I messaged the seller and on checking the description of the item, I found a note saying that the software should not be updated.
Quote:
I have now uninstalled all software and re-installed the 17.2.1 version again and will now try it out on the car. I however hope this solves my problem.
So I have tried doing both of the above and it still hasn't worked. Tried it this time on my 2011 Polo 1.6 and it still shows the same errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But if the updated OE software set some registry entries that the cable is bad, even after re-installing the vendor provided software, it may not work.
Could this now be the issue? If yes, what is the solution to this?

Should I try on another laptop?
Old 4th July 2018, 18:01   #602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could this now be the issue? If yes, what is the solution to this?

Should I try on another laptop?
If you can find the registry entries that the VCDS software makes and delete these entries, then it may work. But this is still doubtful as they may have made an unidentifiable registry entry.

Trying it on another laptop is the best way to go. This time, after installing on the new laptop, disconnect that laptop from internet before starting the software.

Also, check the OS requirements before installing. Last time I tried the 16.8 version cable, that software would only work till Win7. It would not work on Win10.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:48   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can find the registry entries that the VCDS software makes and delete these entries, then it may work. But this is still doubtful as they may have made an unidentifiable registry entry.
No idea how to do this so not gonna try.

Quote:
Trying it on another laptop is the best way to go. This time, after installing on the new laptop, disconnect that laptop from internet before starting the software.
Did this but getting the same errors.

Quote:
Also, check the OS requirements before installing. Last time I tried the 16.8 version cable, that software would only work till Win7. It would not work on Win10.
In the description, it says it works with Windows 7 which I am using.

Tried contacting the seller but the only response I got from him is that check if connections are secure. Post that I have got no revert and he has also removed the item from the store. So in a way, I guess I have been conned with this purchase.
Old 5th July 2018, 22:57   #604
BHPian

Quote:
I have been conned with this purchase.

Hi Epic,

If you have purchased recently you can raise a dispute for refund and order another cable.

Since these are not legitimate cables, these sellers close shop after selling significant number and open another one with different name. This has been the case for quite sometime.

Key thing for these clones to work is use the same software version that came with cable.

Regards.
Old 6th July 2018, 14:19   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi Epic,

If you have purchased recently you can raise a dispute for refund and order another cable.
A dispute can be opened with in 15 days post receiving the item. Unfortunately for me, I did not have the time to test it out in the first 15 days and so cannot open a dispute now.

Quote:
Since these are not legitimate cables, these sellers close shop after selling significant number and open another one with different name. This has been the case for quite sometime.
I guess so as I do not get any replies to my messages anymore and the item does not show in the store.

Quote:
Key thing for these clones to work is use the same software version that came with cable.
I initially had upgraded the software and thought that this could be the reason for the cable not to work. But later re-installed the software which came with the cable but it still did not work. May be the upgraded software screwed up everything.

Anyway, I think I am going to try any buy another piece.
Old 8th July 2018, 18:36   #606

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Hey Epic

Can you check if their is a version written on your cable. I had the same problem when I tried to use version 18.12 on the cable I bought couple of years back and was working on 12.12.
I uninstalled the latest version and installed version 12.12 and it worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-20180708_163228.jpg  

Old 9th July 2018, 14:08   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrajat View Post
Hey Epic

Can you check if their is a version written on your cable. I had the same problem when I tried to use version 18.12 on the cable I bought couple of years back and was working on 12.12.
I uninstalled the latest version and installed version 12.12 and it worked well.
Hi. There is no version written on my cable. I bought my cable and software through AliExpress.com so it is not original but a copy. The version is 17.8.1 which is not upgradable.

I have now bought another cable with the 18.2 version. Awaiting delivery of the same. Let's hope this one works.

What about yours? Where did you get your cable from?
Old 9th July 2018, 14:21   #608

Quote:
Hi. There is no version written on my cable. I bought my cable and software through AliExpress.com so it is not original but a copy. The version is 17.8.1 which is not upgradable.

I have now bought another cable with the 18.2 version. Awaiting delivery of the same. Let's hope this one works.

I also bought it from Aliexpress and it worked without issues. I had downloaded the software from ross-tech website everytime I needed.

Wish your other cable works fine!
Old 9th July 2018, 15:38   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrajat View Post
I also bought it from Aliexpress and it worked without issues. I had downloaded the software from ross-tech website everytime I needed.
Could you please share the link from where you bought it? My cable has come along with a CD which has the particular version of the software.
Old 9th July 2018, 16:35   #610
BHPian

Quote:

I bought the 18.2 version some time back and although the description said that the software can be downloaded from Ross-Tech website, there was a patch that needed to be applied on top of the installation. Don't know if that's the case with 17.8.1 and the 18.2 cable you have bought now but I'd suggest that you check with the sellers about this patch
Old 9th July 2018, 22:54   #611
Senior - BHPian

I bought a 17.1.3 cable from Ali express last year when we bought the GT Tsi. It was lying around and I did not use it till now. Today I tried it out and it worked!

I now have the brake hydraulic assist set to early and wow what improvement in brakes. Wish I had done that earlier.

Also set the turn signal to 5 blinks and activated the needle sweep.
Old 11th July 2018, 19:09   #612
BHPian

Hi Guys recently procured a 2018 version skoda rapid. Would like to know from where i can download the latest VAG-com diagnostic software. I do have the E-sys ethernet cable for my BMW to the OBD port. So going with the assumption the port end remains the same?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th July 2018, 20:48   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakrishnan_v View Post
Hi Guys recently procured a 2018 version skoda rapid. Would like to know from where i can download the latest VAG-com diagnostic software. I do have the E-sys ethernet cable for my BMW to the OBD port. So going with the assumption the port end remains the same?

Thanks in advance
I don't think you can use any software with a cable bought for BMW to run VAG-Com or VCDS. You will have to get the VCDS cable.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:41   #614
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, are there any shops that perform the VCDS Scan on VW cars. I am about to buy a pre-owned Jetta next week however do not have a VCDS cable to do these tests myself. I want to ensure the car does not have any faults hence want to run a scan. Any pointers will be very helpful. Thank you.
Old 26th July 2018, 12:02   #615
BHPian

Guys have a quick question regarding the VCDS cable, the older links for the cable are no longer present in aliexpress, and currently we have some new software termed as VAG COM and not VCDS, can any one help me with the current link to get the VCDS cable.

I already have a VCDS 12.12 cable, but certain settings in engine block control module are disabled, say basic settings (it is not enabled even after inputting the correct security access code) it always stays grayed out.

This is why i plan to get another newer version of the same, hoping it will help me.
Please let me know if you have any inputs from your side.

Thank you !.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks