Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:48   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Skoda cannot know if you have used additives or not. Unless they send the fuel sample to lab which they are not likely to do. Or if they see the additive pouches stored in the car or if you tell them you are using additives.

You can try the additives for a couple of thousand kms. if you find noticeable difference, you can use them every alternate tankfull or once in 2000 kms.
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:53   #1052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
I own a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K AT and I still haven't made up my mind to use 'Power Petrol Plus' even though my heart allows going for it.
Clean fuel is what you need more than anything else in a new car. Instead of any additives go for this 95 Octane, it's not expensive either.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5055722 (Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread)
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 19:53   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Skoda cannot know if you have used additives or not. Unless they send the fuel sample to lab which they are not likely to do.
That's true, Sagar.
I think, it isn't that simple to detect any presence of such additive/s in the fuel during the routine laboratory testing due to its too little percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Clean fuel is what you need more than anything else in a new car. Instead of any additives go for this 95 Octane, it's not expensive either.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5055722 (Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread)
Thanks, Turbanator for the reply.
I think, due to the Automation at retail outlets these days, it's not that difficult to get (Quality/ Quantity wise) assured Clean Fuel.
But the 95 Octane (or 95+) petrol you mentioned above is not widely available at least at the countryside pumps.
Also there won't be any Q/Q checking facility for specific Octane is readily available at any bunks just like the routine Filter paper test or Fuel Density check up we can ask for.

Anyways, will check for the availability of 95+ Octane Petrol for my Skoda then..
Thanks again
Old 23rd May 2021, 20:34   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I own a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K AT and I still haven't made up my mind to use 'Power Petrol Plus' even though my heart allows going for it.
I checked up a little more on this:

Skoda itself was recently promoting a fuel additive here, but most customers didnt seem to go for it. And a quick check shows:

https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/produ...ive-for-diesel

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/...tives-467.html

The first one is a use-as-you-go additive (x ml per litre). The second link shows both types - periodic use and use-as-you-go.

Btw, till some time back, Tata used to have System-D at their service centres.

Last edited by condor : 23rd May 2021 at 20:36.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 20:41   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think, it isn't that simple to detect any presence of such additive/s in the fuel during the routine laboratory testing due to its too little percentage.
I know a person who had one of the first Skodas they sold down south, it was a dream to own until a few years later the diesel injectors packed up due to the quality of fuel. Skoda is still susceptible to fuel quality more than other mainstream brands, their service centers are well aware of this and so you shouldn't be taking any risk that voids your warranty.

Stick to recommend fuel grade from a busy fuel station. Places that receive heavy rains regularly will have varying amounts of water in fuel at times after a heavy downpour, not much can be done about it.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 07:56   #1056
BHPian

After trying various different brands, I have stuck to Adon d from Indian oil and have sufficient stocks to last me a year. This has been the best so far.
Post replacement of the injector nozzles in my car I have been using 2ml per litre of diesel with every tank full as recommended by the staff who overhauled my car injectors. I can for sure feel a difference if I don't use it. With the additive the car is smoother and more eager to accelerate. I guess this has to do with some cetane boosting properties also.
Besides this I also replace my diesel filter every 10k kms on my sx4 to be on the safer side and most of the time the filter is dark brown. Don't mind replacing it at half the recommended kms as it's cheap and i would rather not damage the rest of the components post the fuel filter.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 10:24   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

After the previous set of messages here, I sent a mail to Iftex, and here is their response. Please see this with reference to the details shared by Dr Vikas in the quoted post:

The Fuel Additives Thread-systemd.png

Quote:
.. The excerpt from the User's Manual is attached herewith for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Post replacement of the injector nozzles in my car I have been using 2ml per litre of diesel with every tank full as recommended by the staff who overhauled my car injectors. .
I dont think you need to use 2ml per litre. Check the recommended dosage on the container, and that should be sufficient.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 19:15   #1058
BHPian

For past 6 years of my BMW cars ownership, I am using BMW Fuel additive for both diesel (20d) & petrol (30i) cars. Not with every fuel fill, but frequently. I never felt any difference / improvements whatsoever. Maybe it was doing its job silently.

For my X3 30i, I always refill at Reliance petrol bunks. And I plan my travel accordingly. Recently I purchased two Proctane Octane booster (300 ml btl) from Amazon, and used them to my X3 30i on my recent trip from Kolkata to Gurgaon. With the very first refill, I did not experience any difference other than slight improvement in mileage. Two refill was done w/out it & the last refill at Kanpur, I used the 2nd bottle. This time engine felt lighter, happy to revv & substantial increase in fuel economy. End result, Kolkata – Gurgaon // Distance: 1465 kms (home to home). Average Fuel economy was astonishing 12.4 kmpl. On my earlier trips, I never got more than 11.0 kmpl.

Now I am leaning towards it but on the other hand worried about prolong usage of such out-side additives. If it is going to harm in long term.

Appreciate expert’s opinions on this.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 20:07   #1059
BHPian

Guys
I am not sure if this is relevant to this thread, but this guy claims to have developed "new technology"to boost mileage and performance of IC engines. Take a look at the video

Sorry all non Telugu members. The gist of the vedio is that this guy David Esakal from Hyderabad claims to have developed a technology or process that hardens the carbon deposits inside the engine. These hardened deposits are then supposed to form extremely hard layers on the cylinder and piston which are supposed to reduce friction to such an extent that the mileage will improve by a minimum of 10kpl for two wheelers and 4 kpl for cars. He also claims improved performance and reduced emissions. He claims that his process involves usage of plasma and ultrasonic waves. He is charging between 4K and 10K depending on the size of the engine and is giving 25k kms warranty.

It all sounds like hogwash to me. Any of you know anything about this or similar processes?
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:05   #1060
BHPian

I have used Liqui Moly Super diesel additive in my Tata Tigor Diesel, Had used it 8 months ago and had noticed some pleasant changes, engine felt smoother, knocking reduced. This time after my 60K major service which included engine oil flush, I filled Liqui Moly super diesel additive(LMSDA), but this time around now after running 500km, I am feeling that the engine noise has infact increased. mileage is a steady 18-19 kmpl before and after the service and using LMSDA. My car use is roughly 15k - 20k kms per year.
Does engine flushing cause more coarseness of the engine?
What is the right interval to use a fuel additive?
Can a diesel fuel additive result in increase of engine noise and harshness too?
For a regularly well maintained car does fuel additive make sense?
I have become a bit more concerned and pay more attention for the well being of my car after it has crossed 60K kms, hence these many questions.

Last edited by ArTigor : 22nd September 2021 at 14:09.
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:19   #1061
BHPian

Question for a Suzuki Access of the 2017 vintage.

Mechanic advises to put some 2T oil at the time of every refill, supposedly to negate ethanol. Is it 2T oil that I should add or any additive?
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:51   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Is it 2T oil that I should add or any additive?
2T oil in a 4 stroke vehicle, that doesn't make sense, adding petrol additive in these scooters is unheard of to me. Better look up to the recommendation in the service manual. I personally know someone from back in 2005 who used to add 2T oil in her Dio based on her roadside mechanics advice. It seems she used to get her 2002 Scooty serviced from the same mechanic and initially when 4 stroke scooters were just being introduced, these mechanics had no idea of this stuff.
ArTigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:38   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Question for a Suzuki Access of the 2017 vintage.

Mechanic advises to put some 2T oil at the time of every refill, supposedly to negate ethanol. Is it 2T oil that I should add or any additive?
2T oil will have no effect on ethanol. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

2T oil can be added to the petrol tank of 4 stroke engine bikes and many people I knew added about 200 ml to a full tank of petrol in Bullets during the 80's/90's. But that was to mitigate rusting inside fuel tank and nothing else. As the fuel level receded, it will leave a thin oil coating inside the tank until the next refill. It affected the engine performance in no way. If your access is having a plastic fuel tank, even this benefit will not be there.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 19:43   #1064
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
With the very first refill, I did not experience any difference other than slight improvement in mileage.

Two refill was done w/out it & the last refill at Kanpur, I used the 2nd bottle. This time engine felt lighter, happy to revv & substantial increase in fuel economy. End result, Kolkata – Gurgaon // Distance: 1465 kms (home to home). Average Fuel economy was astonishing 12.4 kmpl. On my earlier trips, I never got more than 11.0 kmpl.
I think, it was more of a carbon / soot build up than the octane booster working. Sure, octane booster might have worked, but request you to please go through following threads, should help -

Link 1.

Link 2
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:26   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
2T oil in a 4 stroke vehicle, that doesn't make sense, adding petrol additive in these scooters is unheard of to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
2T oil will have no effect on ethanol. He doesn't know what he is talking about.
I'm sorry I did not specify the reason behind this advice.

The batch of Access' pertaining to 2017 had some manufacturing defect with respect to fuel delivery. Like it used to stall any time and refuse to start. It is for this issue, the advice was given to add oil.

I agree with you both that adding 2T oil in an Access has no benefit.

Now a different question - for the Access and also for a Suzuki Inazuma.

The Shell pump in my city has closed. There is a Reliance and Essar pump however and both have good number of customers. Should I fill fuel from either of these or should I stick to regular fuel + additive? The Inazuma that I have just acquired has strictly been on the Shell premium fuel. In the absence of that, what should I feed her?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks