Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 14:17   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I notice most of the additives add a few rupees to the per litre cost of fuel. Why not simply fill a premium fuel (Speed/Power) and do away with the bother of adding it at the time of refill? Some of them have to be measured as so many ml/litre which is messy, unless one pours in an entire container. Especially while refueling bikes.
Not really.

I use either System-D or IOC's Addon-D. Both are used at 1 ml per litre, and the bottles come with an in-built measuring system. Move the additive to the measuring part of the bottle and add that into the fuel tank. The rest of the additive that is in the bottle remains un-touched and safe in the bottle.

The price works out to about 1.10 -1.2 per litre, which is lesser than the difference of premium vs regular diesel. Also, I can add less too: example for my typical re-fuel of about 40 litres, I add may be 35ml or a bit less.

The full-can additives work out more expense per fill, but these are not used on a regular basis.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:57   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

After regularly using System-D, I again tried Addon-D. There looks to be a positive difference with Addon-D, compared to System-D. Will be about 10 days before I refuel again, but share if any diff in FE.

btw, the prev fill was at Reliance but no additive, and I got a FE close to what I get when using Sys-d + IOCL Diesel.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 08:56   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

So an update after using Addon-D. I think both System-D and this can be used interchangeably. With System-D the engine felt a little more quiet. The FE is pretty much the same may be 0.1 to 0.2 better on System-D. I am not going to nit-pick on which one I am going to use
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 10:51   #1024
Senior - BHPian

It looks like SystemD is no longer available in Amazon. From where do you buy SystemD nowadays? Their own website? (iftex)
Old 11th February 2021, 12:07   #1025
BHPian

I noticed 3 different variants of System-D on IFTEX site:

1. System-D (Rs 300 for 250 ml)
2. System-D Plus (Rs 500 for 300 ml)
3. System-D Extra (Rs 690 for 300 ml)

Are these variants genuinely better or only a marketing gimmick? Has anyone tried D-Plus and D-Extra ?
Old 11th February 2021, 12:17   #1026
Senior - BHPian

I used Liqui Moly Diesel additive in my 1 lakh 87 thousand kilometer run Swift Diesel around 200 kilometers back when I full tanked on the way to Lonavala, the observations are:

1) After 30-40 km, the slight injector kat kat at low rpm had reduced by 80%.

2) Pickup had gone up at lower rpms and in gear acceleration had improved. She started picking up with a little more urgency from 1500 rpm onwards which was not there before.

3) The engine overall feels smoother. 120 kmph in 5th gear which is at 2900 has wayyy lesser engine noise than before.

I got it for 445 rupees a month back, only full tanked before a few days, so used it them.

They recommend this to be added every 2500 km, I think its worth the investment. Will give a more in-depth review as it crosses the 1000-1500 mark after its addition. This is the first time I have ever added any kind of additive to the Swift D.

Last edited by humyum : 11th February 2021 at 12:18.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:43   #1027
BHPian

I have a 3 year old Tata Tigor Diesel, the car has covered 55000 km and I intend to use fuel system cleaner for the first time. The sole purpose is reduction in noise, vibrations and some refinement. While my car is duly maintained as per the service schedule at TASS, and Diesel is filled from trusted bunks only, there has been a bit coarseness in engine noise and the engine itself has become a bit loud than earlier. The TASS guys have said that this is associated with ageing of Diesel Engines. I get good average i.e. 18-20 kmpl on my daily runs and 22-24 kmpl on highways so efficiency is not an issue.

A few queries I have is which Fuel System Cleaner shall I use?
From the comments on this thread I see there are good reviews about System D, Addon D, Liqui Moli & STP, I am Confused as to which product I shall go ahead with.

How does using Fuel System cleaners affect the vehicle in long term? this question is critical as I intend to keep my vehicle for long term.

I have also read at a few places where the users have faced adverse effect after using the Fuel System cleaner.

Advice on the above shall be very helpful.
Thank You in Advance
ArTigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:01   #1028
BHPian

Not much experience but did use system D recently ,bought from BPCL petrol pump recently. My car is Fluidic Verna diesel 2014 model. No change in engine characteristics (noise was never too high) .But I noticed fuel average improve a bit. In Delhi traffic I use to get around 18/19 kmpl. But after systemD it has improved to around 19/20 kmpl. I didn't use system D for last couple of diesel filling and fuel average dropped back to 18/19 that was also the time farmer protests were at peak so not sure if it's conclusive.

Anyway many have suggested that newer CRDI engines are not much benefitted using fuel additives
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 09:07   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not really.

I use either System-D or IOC's Addon-D.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So an update after using Addon-D. I think both System-D and this can be used interchangeably. With System-D the engine felt a little more quiet. The FE is pretty much the same may be 0.1 to 0.2 better on System-D. I am not going to nit-pick on which one I am going to use

Are these results from your safari sir?
Old 12th March 2021, 09:57   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Are these results from your safari sir?
Yes, the Storme.

I have some System-G in stock for wife's car, but most time I am not involved in the refuelling and hence the additives are not added to the other car.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 11:28   #1031
BHPian

Yesterday I purchased Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive from a local reputed shop here in Kharghar Navi Mumbai, it costed me 340 rupees (same retailed between 370 to 400 rupees on Amazon).
The diesel level in my Tigor was super low so poured the 200 ml Can into the tank and the did a tank full of diesel which is 35 litres.

The instruction on the Can read 200 ml for 50 litres, so it seems I added a bit more than what I should have, would this cause any problem?

Currently the vehicle has run 40 km after adding the additive, I know it will take atleast 100-150 km for any changes to be felt, will keep updated.

Off Topic:- I see a lot of automobile consummables & parts are cheaper at local retailers than that available on Amazon, even the window blinds(net) I bought 3 years ago for my K10 costed 350 at a local retailer, the same was around 600 rupees on Amazon.
Old 12th March 2021, 12:47   #1032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
The instruction on the Can read 200 ml for 50 litres, so it seems I added a bit more than what I should have, would this cause any problem? .
Should be ok. However, I normally add less additive than recommended: ex: about 30 ml for the 38-40 litres which is normal re-fuel. (Recommended is 1ml per litre for Sys-D)
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:09   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
Yesterday I purchased Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive from a local reputed shop here in Kharghar Navi Mumbai, it costed me 340 rupees (same retailed between 370 to 400 rupees on Amazon).
The diesel level in my Tigor was super low so poured the 200 ml Can into the tank and the did a tank full of diesel which is 35 liters.
The car has run 240 km since adding the Additive, prior to using additive the coarseness in noise and vibration of engine even in motion had increased, this I can say because the engine was super silent from diesel standards(even less than Tiago/Tigor petrol engines) in the first 2 years of ownership up to 35 K kilometers. The in-gear acceleration had also started feeling sluggish. After Using the Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive, here are the changes felt:-

NVH:- Substantial reduction in the coarseness in noise and vibration of engine, the engine note felt inside the cabin is somewhat similar to the sweet note in the First year of ownership. I am blown away by the improvement on this front. Even while starting and stopping the engine the vibration has decreased.

Acceleration:- Acceleration has improved a lot, prior to using the additive a mild vibration was felt while accelerating from from stationary, it has completely vanished. For the past 10000 km i.e. between 45k to 55k the in gear acceleration below 2000 RPM was starting to feel sluggish, surprisingly in this aspect too now the response is super quick.

Fuel Efficiency:- this i am surprised has dropped (as per MID) the MID always showed between 20 - 21 kmpl on my regular route, now it shows 17.5. Actual FE has always been 1-1.5 kmpl lesser than that shown on MID, yet will get a real Idea when I will do my next refill.

Although I have driven the car for 240 kilometers after filling the additive, the change is felt since last 100 kilometers, i.e. first 150 kilometers no change was felt (this has been advised by many). So for the product and a first time user of Diesel fuel system cleaner Additive, I am Content with the outcome even though there seems to be a 2 Kmpl drop in FE(yet to be verified by tank full method), the refinement, smoothness and improvement in acceleration of the vehicle is of a greater interest & benefit to me.

To make sure whether this is not a placebo effect I handed my car to my Dad for a couple of days for his daily use without telling him about the additive, even he came back asking me did I get the car serviced? He used to love driving my car in the initial 2 years but since last one year doesn't take my car out as much due to the coarseness and sluggishness (he is a petrolhead). I told him this effect is due to the additive used and he was surprised. Now we are thinking about using a fuel system cleaner for our 62k kilometers run Alto K10 too.
ArTigor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:59   #1034
BHPian

For anyone who is looking to try Stanadyne, heads up, its become available on Amazon through some sellers who will import it for you from the USA. Their prices have come down from what it used to be couple of years back as well.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:54   #1035
BHPian

Car : Hindustan Ambassador 1989 with BMC 1.5 L Engine (mechanical Lucas CAV rotary diesel pump and mechanical fuel feed pump and it has an oil bath type air filter.

Odo 65K

Requirement : Reduce emission.

Currently the value stands at 0.88 (pollution test passed) during emission test (permissible being 2.5). I want to bring it down as low as possible in the wake of strict pollution testing norms.

The exhaust doesn't smoke much if you gradually increase the rpms. But if you jab the throttle, then it will spew out particulate carbon in thick black smoke

Things done till now Serviced the diesel pump and tried the old juggad of water jet into the exhaust.

Question to experts 1) Will there be any benefit if I add any diesel additive / injector cleaner during refueling ?

2) Any negative effects of using an additive in an old technology high mileage engine of the Ambassador ?

3) If it is more pros over cons, then which is the recommended diesel additive ?

NB: No additives / treatments of any kind used till date and I have no intention to use oil additives or engine flush.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by adrian : 19th April 2021 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks