Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 13:09   #676
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Thanks! Just spoke to Jai Auto, I got a quote of 9000 for the windscreen, 1800 for the sealant and about 2400 for labour; around the same as WE.

Skoda turnaround time is the next day, Windshield Experts is 2 hours. Deciding between the two now.
Just ensure that WE uses the OE Skoda windsheild. Thats about it.
Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 21st April 2014 at 13:09. Reason: spelling
Old 3rd May 2014, 01:05   #677
BHPian

I am looking for a good body cover for my Laura.
Requirements -
> Long lasting
>Should envelop the car from all sides
>Should not come off with strong winds
> Good Dust and Water protection

Can anyone help me?
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:33   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I am looking for a good body cover for my Laura.

Requirements -

> Long lasting

>Should envelop the car from all sides

>Should not come off with strong winds

> Good Dust and Water protection

Can anyone help me?

Just go check with your local Skoda dealer. He should have one in stock. Or check with the friendly local accessories fellow. I had seen some available online but it's best to take your car and fit the cover and then buy.

Rohan
Old 6th May 2014, 21:35   #679
BHPian

Hi guys. I have a problem with my L&K. I didn't use it for 2 weeks straight and now it won't unlock with the keyfob and it won't start either after manually unlocking the car. None of the electrical components are working. Does this car have one of those sleepmode systems (My ARIA has it but starts after opening it manually) or should I just get my battery checked? The battery is only a year old and gets regular attention so I am a little confused. Thought I might ask someone to get an idea. Thanks.
Old 6th May 2014, 21:50   #680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi guys. I have a problem with my L&K. I didn't use it for 2 weeks straight and now it won't unlock with the keyfob and it won't start either after manually unlocking the car. None of the electrical components are working. Does this car have one of those sleepmode systems (My ARIA has it but starts after opening it manually) or should I just get my battery checked? The battery is only a year old and gets regular attention so I am a little confused. Thought I might ask someone to get an idea. Thanks.
Most probably, the battery is completely drained. All symptoms point to this. In modern cars, even after turning off the ignition, some electronics will always be active and drawing power from the battery. Get your battery checked and charged and that should solve the problem.
Old 8th May 2014, 01:53   #681
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Another issue with my Laura TSI - I read about excessive oil consumption, and was surprised I hadnt encountered the same problem. After a rather spirited drive this evening, my oil light came on. Which obviously means the oil levels are low - my question is: do I do a simple top-up on my own or do I HAVE to go to Skoda A.S.S. to get this done? The car was last serviced December 2013 and has done about 13,500kms.

I am doing a road trip up north this Saturday and might find it tough to head to the service station before that, so doing it on my own would be a better alternative, hence the question.

Appreciate the help, looks like I rely more on T-Bhp than Skoda for advice!
Old 8th May 2014, 16:12   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hi everyone,

Another issue with my Laura TSI - I read about excessive oil consumption, and was surprised I hadnt encountered the same problem. After a rather spirited drive this evening, my oil light came on. Which obviously means the oil levels are low - my question is: do I do a simple top-up on my own or do I HAVE to go to Skoda A.S.S. to get this done? The car was last serviced December 2013 and has done about 13,500kms.

I am doing a road trip up north this Saturday and might find it tough to head to the service station before that, so doing it on my own would be a better alternative, hence the question.

Appreciate the help, looks like I rely more on T-Bhp than Skoda for advice!
You can top up on your own. Skoda ASS uses Castrol Magnatec professional 5w 40 these days. But this grade is not available in the market. You can top up with Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40, which btw was the oil recommended by Skoda before they switched to Castrol. I have topped up with Shell on a few occasions when I felt the oil was low (never waited for the light) and never had any issues.

Interesting thing to note is that the oil consumption has really come down on my TSI compared to the earlier days. My car has done 55k kms. From about 25k kms onwards the oil consumption has stabilised.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 16:44   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You can top up on your own. Skoda ASS uses Castrol Magnatec professional 5w 40 these days. But this grade is not available in the market. You can top up with Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40, which btw was the oil recommended by Skoda before they switched to Castrol. I have topped up with Shell on a few occasions when I felt the oil was low (never waited for the light) and never had any issues.

Interesting thing to note is that the oil consumption has really come down on my TSI compared to the earlier days. My car has done 55k kms. From about 25k kms onwards the oil consumption has stabilised.
Yup, doing just that - came across one of your earlier threads. Ordered it from my FNG and will be topping her up tomorrow morning. Thanks for replying!
Old 8th May 2014, 17:08   #684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have topped up with Shell on a few occasions when I felt the oil was low (never waited for the light) and never had any issues.
Without draining the stock Castrol oil, Bhat Sir? I am curious if mixing the same grade of oil from different manufacturers would create issues later on.
Old 8th May 2014, 18:07   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Without draining the stock Castrol oil, Bhat Sir? I am curious if mixing the same grade of oil from different manufacturers would create issues later on.
I had googled about this subject some time back and had read up some threads on Briskoda too. There are mixed opinions about it. Most seem to agree that as long as the grades of oil are same, topping up should not be a problem. In fact some people deliberately mix two or three different oils for better lubrication!

As far as my experience goes, I have topped up Shell 5W 40 while Castrol 5W 40 was there already. Did not have the patience to got the ASS just for oil top up. Have never faced any issues.

Also I remember, when I bought the car, SKoda was using Shell Helix ultra. So when they made the switch, if someone went to them for an oil top up, they would just top up Castrol without bothering to know whether it came with Shell or Castrol from the factory. With this reasoning I went ahead with topping up shell. I took comfort from the fact that the grades were same.

Its a cartel between VAG group and Castrol actually. THey would have signed a deal that this particular grade is supplied to OE's only and not in the open market.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 23:45   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a cartel between VAG group and Castrol actually. THey would have signed a deal that this particular grade is supplied to OE's only and not in the open market.
Yeah I recall you mentioning this aspect on another thread. The problem is, Skoda and VW does not retail consumables such as engine oil, windscreen washer fluid etc. (and spare parts) over-the-counter and the service centers deny selling them to the customer directly. Instead, they insist us to visit the service center with the car so they can prepare a job card and carry out the work. Sometimes this is a big hassle especially when they take a lot of time for a petty job, for instance a day or so to top up the oil! When this can be done by the customer himself (or an FNG) and barely takes a few minutes. I understand that the authorised service center also earns through the labour charges but minor things such as these (top ups, oil change, air/oil filter cleaning and renewals etc.) should be left at the discretion of the owner IMO. This would save them some time and they can attend to more crucial jobs with the time saved.

The other day, I had called up the service center to confirm if they would sell me a bottle (1L) of engine oil (Magnatec OE 5W-40) as a backup and they denied. I have been doing some 600 km trips often over the last few months and if the car would throw up the low oil warning light and stall in the middle of nowhere, what would I do?! I suggested that a few service centers indeed retail them (in KL they do apparently without making a fuss), then why the difference here; to which they responded that it is their policy! In which case, I politely told them I would write to VW directly explaining the situation and hung up. They called back instantly, changed their tone and suggested that I bring the car so they can sell me a 1L bottle but labor charges of Rs. 160 (IIRC) would be added to the job card. I was okay with that. But why all the fuss?

And this appears to be a problem only specific to India. VAG parts and consumables are sold through a lot of websites in the UK, US, EU for very decent prices but none in India! If Maruti, Hyundai, Fiat can do it, why not VW and Skoda?

PS: Sorry for the rant.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 13:18   #687
BHPian

Hello everyone .
I have to service my Laura and looking for a reliable service centre. It's the 60k kms service. Where should I head to ?. As I am from Bangalore which is the preferred choice , Vinayak or Tafe ?. Or are there any other reliable and trustworthy workshops which I can consider ?. Since this being a 60k kms service any special care that I need to take , I have checked the manual though .
Thanks
Red's
Old 14th May 2014, 01:45   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yeah I recall you mentioning this aspect on another thread. The problem is, Skoda and VW does not retail consumables such as engine oil, windscreen washer fluid etc. (and spare parts) over-the-counter and the service centers deny selling them to the customer directly.
PS: Sorry for the rant.
I would still suggest that you write to Volkswagen about this. Maybe a few more of us VW/Skoda customers should do the same as its an insane waste of time to spend a whole day just to get a small check up or a top up job. I just experienced it at the currently running Skoda Summer Camp at Mahavir Auto Hyderabad. I brought in my car at 9:30 in the morning. Received it at 4. All they did was replace two bulbs! The second one after i received delivery and noticed the bulb warning indicator light up again!
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:17   #689
BHPian

Hi! Would anybody know where is the chassis no plate / imprint of Laura located? Need to take an imprint for RTO purposes.

Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:11   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi! Would anybody know where is the chassis no plate / imprint of Laura located? Need to take an imprint for RTO purposes.

Thanks!
Theres one near the driver's door. Another is in the engine bay, you need to remove the plastic beading near the wipers to see it. Very smple not technical to do so. And lots of links on google for a pictorial depiction of thr same.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks