Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 19:40   #661
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hey Rohan, finally you're here! Hahaha..

What Anand says above- I tried all the 4 settings, didnt seem to really work - only on intermittent, will try when its raining next. Which hopefully should be soon. Plus, I didnt know the Ambiente TSI has rain sensing wipers, which is why I was even more surprised - same with the heated mirrors.
Some batches on Ambiente TSI did not have rain sensing wipers. See if your car has the rain sensor above the inside rear view mirror. Also if your car does have rain sensors then the sensitivity settings will only work on the first slot upwards (i.e. the intermittent setting). Other settings like continous slow or fast wipe are not affected by the sensitivity settings.

Also heated mirrors work only under 20c or something like that.
Old 5th March 2014, 21:22   #662
BHPian

TSIs from 2011 and thereafter don't have rain sensing wipers. Irrespective of that, on intermittent setting, wipers stop when car comes to a halt.

TSI has heated mirrors. Tried once when it was really cold in Gurgaon.
Old 5th March 2014, 22:17   #663
BHPian

Considering Anant's TSi is a 2012-2013 make, it seems likely that it doesn't have the rain sensing wipers. However, I wasn't aware that the wiper in the intermittent setting stop when the vehicle comes to a halt. Will try that when it rains next.

The heated mirrors have been useful in the rains and the notorious Delhi winters!
Old 7th March 2014, 11:47   #664
BHPian

Drumming noise

I have a 53k KM driven 2010 SKODA LAURA 2.0 TDI. Am currently on my second set of tyres. (Had changes to Continental CPC2 at 25k KMS). In speeds in excess of 60km/hr in 4th/5th gear and during braking, there is a perceptable drumming noise audible. I think it could be from the tyres and am getting my rear tyres interchanged with the front (The rear tyres are less worn relatively. Wheel balancing/alignment/rotation regularly done every 7500kms). OR Could it be the bearings being worn out causing the noise?

I am keen to know if any of you have faced this issue or know the specific cause of it?
Old 7th March 2014, 12:04   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
Drumming noise

I have a 53k KM driven 2010 SKODA LAURA 2.0 TDI.
========
I am keen to know if any of you have faced this issue or know the specific cause of it?
Wheel bearings will be humm and at high speeds, not while reducing/braking. Seems like more of a brake issue, have you inspected the rear brakes recently?
Old 8th March 2014, 07:10   #666
Team-BHP Support

It could be tyres, they might have aged and become hard. I interchanged thrm on my Octy and it got worse
Old 8th March 2014, 16:57   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
... on intermittent setting, wipers stop when car comes to a halt.
How is this feature helpful? I think it more to be an irritant, which needs to be corrected.
Hope other settings 'force' the wipers to wipe when the car is not moving.

Quote:
Drumming noise
In speeds in excess of 60km/hr in 4th/5th gear and during braking, there is a perceptable drumming noise audible.

I have faced this drumming noise (very very faint) and was not able to source the origin. A bad wheel bearing is supposed to have a low hum, hence MASS declined it to be the cause. According to their diagnosis, something was wrong with the rear drum. May be some minor bend.

However, the hum came to prominence after a brake job which required some hammering on the drum to take it off. Now when the bearing was taken out, one of the inner races had a fine crack on it. Probably the crack increased while hammering. Bearings were changed and no hum & drumming sound since then.

The difference in your case is that you hear it only while braking (?); while I could hear them faintly after taking off the foot from accelerator once I reached 50-60KMPH in 5th gear. The sound of drumming was so faint that it was difficult for most of the people to even hear it!

I will advise you to try tyre rotation once. You need to look out deeper in case the sound remains as it is after tire rotation too.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 8th March 2014 at 17:02.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 10:37   #668
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. The drumming noise is persisting even after tyre rotation. So I sent the car to Gurudev motors and the service advisor thinks its the bearings and that they need to be replaced. Am going to be sending the car in tomm. Estimated cost=15k.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:36   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. The drumming noise is persisting even after tyre rotation. So I sent the car to Gurudev motors and the service advisor thinks its the bearings and that they need to be replaced. Am going to be sending the car in tomm. Estimated cost=15k.
Should be the wheel bearings. BTW, 15K for bearing looks high, but servicing the Germans have always been so. IIRC, I spent one-tenth of that, but that's immaterial here.
Do update the thread once the job is done.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 16:25   #670
BHPian

Received the car back. Bearings replaced in warranty(was not a wear and tear issue). It took a week but Gurudev motors and Skoda concurred on the issue and therefore thankfully did not cost me much.
Old 19th March 2014, 19:04   #671
BHPian

Additional cost that I incurred at Gurudev motors workshop that I did not notice when taking delivery after the bearing fix: Loss of 1/3 tank diesel
Old 24th March 2014, 12:00   #672
BHPian

Guys any idea how we can measure the quantity and quality of the gearbox oil in a DSG Laura?
As per the service schedule, the transmission oil replacement is to happen at the 60000km service. My car has done 53200 kms but i feel the gearshift is not as smooth as it used to be and I was wondering if the oil change is needed now based on the condition of the oil.

Thanks
Rohan
Old 21st April 2014, 12:29   #673
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Am back again with another question. My windscreen has developed a crack at the bottom which is slowly spreading.

I checked with Skoda and they are quoting me ~9,000 for a new windscreen + fitting. Windshield Experts are quote me ~15,000 all inclusive. They claim that Skoda will come to about 20,000 all inclusive - am trying to speak to someone at Skoda, but no luck yet.

Can anyone help me out with a rough idea of how much this could come to?

Thanks yet again,
Anant
Old 21st April 2014, 12:50   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hello everyone,

Am back again with another question. My windscreen has developed a crack at the bottom which is slowly spreading.

I checked with Skoda and they are quoting me ~9,000 for a new windscreen + fitting. Windshield Experts are quote me ~15,000 all inclusive. They claim that Skoda will come to about 20,000 all inclusive - am trying to speak to someone at Skoda, but no luck yet.

Can anyone help me out with a rough idea of how much this could come to?

Thanks yet again,
Anant
Just checked with a friend who had the windscreen replaced on his TSi about 2 years back. The windscreen plus fitment was for INR 12000. He had claimed insurance though.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 21st April 2014, 13:03   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Just checked with a friend who had the windscreen replaced on his TSi about 2 years back. The windscreen plus fitment was for INR 12000. He had claimed insurance though.

Cheers
Rohan
Thanks! Just spoke to Jai Auto, I got a quote of 9000 for the windscreen, 1800 for the sealant and about 2400 for labour; around the same as WE.

Skoda turnaround time is the next day, Windshield Experts is 2 hours. Deciding between the two now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks