Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 19:44   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
I am using stock tires on my TSI. Whats the best size upgrade, 16 or 17 and tire size?

Go for 17 bro. Here is a pic of my friends Laura running on 17 inch BBS. invest in good alloys. Momo is officially available now and you could check those out too.

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409148867.017569.jpg

PS: the car is yet to be lowered hence that god forsaken gap!
Cheers
Rohan

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by RohanDheman : 27th August 2014 at 19:45.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 22:53   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
Hi Santosh,

The OE Varta battery on my Laura TDI died in 3 years and a few months. Luckily this happened when i was at home and was able to order a Amaron replacement. Trust this helps you take a decision.

Cheers,
Rohit
Exactly the same thing happened to my car today, after 3 years and 9 months my Laura's battery died. The first thing i will have to do tomorrow morning is buy a new battery for my car.

How much did the Amaron Battery for your car cost?
Old 28th August 2014, 10:17   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to my car today, after 3 years and 9 months my Laura's battery died. The first thing i will have to do tomorrow morning is buy a new battery for my car.

How much did the Amaron Battery for your car cost?
Any indications or signs that the battery is on its last days before it died?

My car is also around the same age. THe battery is fine as of now, but since I do lot of outstation travel I am worried about the battery dying on me during one of these trips. I think I'll replace the battery before it dies on me and leaves me stranded somewhere.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:31   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Any indications or signs that the battery is on its last days before it died?

My car is also around the same age. THe battery is fine as of now, but since I do lot of outstation travel I am worried about the battery dying on me during one of these trips. I think I'll replace the battery before it dies on me and leaves me stranded somewhere.
Same stuff that happened to my XUV few months back, slightly weak crank yesterday morning, even weaker crank in evening and at night Laura refused to start. I started the car with Jumper cables. i am going to get the battery tested in some time.

Just buy a pair of Jump Start Cables, keep them in boot, you won't be stranded anywhere because of dead battery.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 13:57   #740
BHPian

Quote:
I am using stock tires on my TSI. Whats the best size upgrade, 16 or 17 and tire size?
Hi Cedricsg,

I did this upgrade in July on my Laura. I bought after market alloys of 17" size after much research. The size is 17X8J. The tyres i selected were Continental Sport Contact3, 225/45/17. Some data that i gathered for the tyre selection research is given in the attached excel. I took about a month to decide and after having used the combination for over 4k kms my observations are :
Alloys : 17" is working great. Just make sure you by 7 or 7.5 width as the 8" size that i purchased are out of wheel hub by about 1/4" on the front side. See the pics below. Purely an aesthetic issue but if you are stickler for perfection... Rear side is perfect. Stick to OEM alloys if you can.
Tyres : My final reasons for going the Conti way were :
a) Warranty - 5 years from the date of sale and not manufacture
b) Made in Germany
c) XL rated tyres give more options in terms of tyre pressure etc and are generally better suited for Indian road conditions.
d) Price

Actual Experience: I find the Conties have excellent grip, braking and have improved overall stability of the car. Low speed ride is good but the real improvement is over 60 kph where everything becomes sublime. Steering feedback has improved. Too early to comment on wear as 4K kms have made no difference...

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20140828_133402.jpg  

Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread-img_20140828_133803.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Tyre Research July 14.xlsx (9.6 KB, 335 views)
Inder7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 13:22   #741
BHPian

Off late I am getting an irritating squeak when I press the clutch. This is more during stop go. At times the noise just disappears. The car has done 30000 kms, and self driven, so I am sure its just the noise. Any suggestions/ views?
Old 29th August 2014, 13:39   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off late I am getting an irritating squeak when I press the clutch. This is more during stop go. At times the noise just disappears. The car has done 30000 kms, and self driven, so I am sure its just the noise. Any suggestions/ views?
Spray a little amount of WD40 on Clutch Pedal Spring. Works for XUV/Scorpio.
Old 29th August 2014, 16:36   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Spray a little amount of WD40 on Clutch Pedal Spring. Works for XUV/Scorpio.
Anshuman, slightly OT for this post.

Did you feel a massive change after the ATF replacement at 60k?

Nawab refused to change it for me at 60k stating that they have inspected it and it is not required at all. The manual recommends it and I want to change it but I don't think I want to go to Nawab for this. Which Skoda workshop would you recommend?

And is there is change for grade of Laura's DSG oil as well, if you are aware.

Thank you in anticipation.

Rohan
Old 29th August 2014, 17:05   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Anshuman, slightly OT for this post.

Did you feel a massive change after the ATF replacement at 60k?

Nawab refused to change it for me at 60k stating that they have inspected it and it is not required at all. The manual recommends it and I want to change it but I don't think I want to go to Nawab for this. Which Skoda workshop would you recommend?

And is there is change for grade of Laura's DSG oil as well, if you are aware.

Thank you in anticipation.

Rohan
I did not observe any changes after ATF change, the transmission was perfectly smooth before and after the oil change.

I do not have information about grade of ATF used in Laura. Please refer to owners manual and stick to recommended grade and interval.

I have been using Fahrenheit Skoda Moti Nagar. I find them more professional than Giriraj Auto/Jai Auto. Since the place is close to a Metro Station, i find it convenient.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 09:55   #745
BHPian

Steering Wobble at High Speed. Gone !!

Just for the benefit of anyone who was following this thread. Skoda technical team inspected the vehicle on 30 Aug, checked various things, finally replaced the front discs and my laura is back to its old buttery smooth self. Thanks again to all those who helped focus on the disc issue.
Inder7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:56   #746
BHPian

Great to hear that Inder. Did not know that a wobble can be caused by discs. Well I am learning new things about the Laura everyday. How much did the disc replacement cost?
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:59   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Did not know that a wobble can be caused by discs. Well I am learning new things about the Laura everyday. How much did the disc replacement cost?
No, it came as news to me too. They charged me 8355/-. The two discs cost approx 6k. Am just happy the issue is over...
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:21   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I did a VCDS diagnostic scan on a 2010 Laura TSI that a friend was looking to purchase. It threw up the following fault code.

1 Fault Found:
001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 000 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 19955 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2044.14.04
Time: 14:16:25

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 849 /min
Load: 18.8 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 96.0°C
Temperature: 48.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 900.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.462 V

The Ross-tech site has a ready reckoner of fault codes and this is what it says about it.

[i]"16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed

There is no check engine light on the dash as of now. What do you guys make of it? Should my friend be worried? He hasn't approached Skoda yet. I've advised him to take the report to them and see what they suggest.
The technician @ vinayak said it's not an issue & cleared the fault during the 20K service.

Thanks Santosh for posting it & joining me for the test drive, as you already know I've purchased it
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:00   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
The technician @ vinayak said it's not an issue & cleared the fault during the 20K service.

Thanks Santosh for posting it & joining me for the test drive, as you already know I've purchased it
Well that's good to know. But its very typical of the A.S.S to just reset the fault codes without digging deeper into the causes and solutions. As long there are no visual problems in the engine performance and no check engine light , I don't think you should worry about it.

The car felt nice and tight. Apart from a slightly misaligned and colour mismatched front bumper and fender, there was no other area of concern. You mentioned that they replaced some suspension link rods. If it was the front right one, then it was probably damaged in the same hit that dented the front fender.

Yours is the pre 2011 batch. So you get rain sensing wipers, and cooled golve box, which are missing in the post 2011 batches.

The car must be a lot smoother after service. Keep a litre of 5w 40 synthetic oil in the boot. Top up the oil when it falls below half way mark. The car has a tendency to consume more oil in stop and go traffic conditions. Enjoy the car and drive safe. .
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:24   #750
BHPian

Mine is a 2012 model and I still got rain sensing wipers and a cooled glove box

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks