Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 14:57   #2866
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I agree its not a 100% match but better than a scratched surface that's devoid of paint. Also, I was not very comfortable with the spraying too and felt the pressure was slightly on the higher side. Further, after repeated usage, the canister started spitting paint (intermittent spurts) instead of spraying evenly. The best way I utilised the paint was to use an art brush and touch up small areas. Perhaps, one needs practice to become an expert at it.
Painting is an art, but some science wouldn't hurt . The canister should be held around a foot away, else it would result in dripping paint. There is always an urge to bring it closer, as you would feel that not enough paint is falling on the surface. Not really, it is just that our eyes can't "see". After 3-4 passes, it gives a nice finish. In fact, the previous owner of my Civic had done some touch-ups using brush (I presume), which was looking kind of ugly. I applied a nice coat of spray over it, and it looks much better.

ps: can't help if the canister starts spitting

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th February 2012 at 15:01.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 15:46   #2867
BANNED

Before the days of computer matching, such cans were more popular. Now you can get an (almost) exact match.
Old 14th February 2012, 16:13   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Got the stock replacement K&N filter installed today.
Improvements ?
Yes, but a nominal one in the low end torque.
The slugishness has decreased very mildly. (definetely not a placebo effect)

The improvements can also be coz of the new Air filter, (been long time since I had changed my stock air filter, coz when I had left my car for service, Honda didn't have stock of Filter on that particular day).

Mileage ?
Not yet refilled to test the mileage.
As of now I'm getting 9.5Kmpl in City driving conditions (BLR) in the OEM air filter.
So as of now can't comment on it.
VFM ?
Yes. Certainly. I paid close to $50($38.8+ $10.5 shipping)
A nominal increase in the low end , for almost the same price of a new OEM Air filter is definetely worth.
http://www.amazon.com/33-2342-High-P...ef=lh_di_t_dup

Overall
HAPPY....
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 20:27   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The puncture repair shop guy drilled a small hole into the tyre, pulled out the nail, put some small chemical into the hole and smoothened it out. The original valve was replaced with a Dunlop valve on which they offered a 1 year guarantee. Total cost = 50 (puncture) + 150 (valve). I'll take pictures and post them here. The solution somehow looked too "ghetto" to me. I have no idea how tubeless tyre punctures are repaired.
Turns out the repair shop's method wasn't "ghetto" at all! The cost also seems in-line with expectations after having gone through that thread.

Now I can just assume that the compound and valve he used are of high quality and just sleep in peace.

Regards,
spadix
Old 14th February 2012, 22:12   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
what about the intake growl , is it loud significantly ?
Old 15th February 2012, 11:05   #2871
BHPian

Guys, a loud creaking sound is coming from the rear suspension area, when it goes over large humps on the road. Particularly when I am a bit fast. Do you think it is time for a suspension overhaul? My car has done 57K.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:33   #2872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
what about the intake growl , is it loud significantly ?
No growl as one would expect from a CAI filter.

But a NICE mild hissing sound when accelerating, but noticeable only in silent/calm conditions, and also a lil bit sound when the revvs is above 4K RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Guys, a loud creaking sound is coming from the rear suspension area, when it goes over large humps on the road. Particularly when I am a bit fast. Do you think it is time for a suspension overhaul? My car has done 57K.
Check your rear suspension bushes, These produces the creaking sound when they have hardend or if water is trapped between the rubber bushes and joints.
If it's a thud-thud sound then the struts/shocks might have worn out.

Last edited by sushrutha : 15th February 2012 at 12:38.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 20:25   #2873
Senior - BHPian

I encountered a strange problem on my Civic about two weeks back while driving on the highway which just caught me offguard. Here's what happened:

I was doing about 80kmph on an afternoon and I was nearing a cross road when I wanted to flash my headlights to caution the vehicle waiting on the other side to cross. When I engaged the stalk behind the steering wheel to flash the lights, I noticed that all of a sudden the overall illumination on the dashboard started fading out, couple of lights on the dashboard (like the ABS, seatbelt etc) came on for no reason and started blinking in an erratic manner. What was worse is the doors which were locked, locked one more time automatically and this phenomenon disappeared when I disengaged the stalk. Also, the engine knocked for a second and I didnt know what to do. Since I was almost nearing my destination, I kept on driving and tried flashing the headlights once or twice to check if this was a recurring phenomenon. It was the same and I was very sure something was wrong with the electricals. But I didnt want to experiment any further and to cause further damage so drove down quietly to my destination. After that, I have not witnessed this scenario at all. I tried switching on the HLs and everything appeared to be normal. Touchwood, I have not had this situation after that. But what intrigues me is what could have possible caused this anomaly and will it ever happen again ? I have not had the time to take it to the H.A.S.S but will do so. In the meantime, if any of our experts can comment, it will be very useful. Thanks.
Old 16th February 2012, 21:41   #2874
Senior - BHPian

How good is your battery?
I had a similar call when the battery was starting to get weak.
Old 16th February 2012, 22:11   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
I encountered a strange problem on my Civic about two weeks back while driving on the highway which just caught me offguard
Any electrical modifications to the original factory fittings, where wires were cut and joined? Like upgrading music-system or headlights?
Old 17th February 2012, 09:11   #2876
BANNED

@rrzen; Once you are driving the Alternator takes over and the battery has a minimal role. So the problem must be elsewhere. First, check for a loose connection / fuse in the under-bonnet box.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 11:38   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Any electrical modifications to the original factory fittings, where wires were cut and joined? Like upgrading music-system or headlights?
None at all. My car is stock throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rrzen; Once you are driving the Alternator takes over and the battery has a minimal role. So the problem must be elsewhere. First, check for a loose connection / fuse in the under-bonnet box.
Sure professor. Will check that out. Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
How good is your battery?
I had a similar call when the battery was starting to get weak.
My battery is fine and I dont see that as a problem. Also, like what professor has mentioned above, does the alternator not supersede the battery when the car is in motion ? What baffles me is that while the problem lasted for about 20-30 mins, it has not resurfaced again which is quite strange.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:49   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My battery is fine and I dont see that as a problem. Also, like what professor has mentioned above, does the alternator not supersede the battery when the car is in motion ? What baffles me is that while the problem lasted for about 20-30 mins, it has not resurfaced again which is quite strange.
While alternator takes over the regular functions like spark plugs and other internal electricals, any usage of high power devices (headlight flashing, ICE etc) will still impact the batteries. The issue however may be due to loose connections somewhere including battery cables. Have it checked up at service centre.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:11   #2879
BANNED

@vasoo; at 80kph the alternator will be churning out its full juice (60 or is it 100A) so even flashing of lights should be taken in its stride. Also, if the battery was that far gone the car should not crank!
Old 17th February 2012, 20:03   #2880
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Improvements ?
Yes, but a nominal one in the low end torque.
The slugishness has decreased very mildly. (definetely not a placebo effect)
Excellent!

Do let us know how you feel about these changes after a couple of tankfuls and few hundred kms on the odo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks