Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 21:33   #3331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
there is a slide away compartment inside the engine bay which says, 'Frame number'. Am not finding anything inside that. What exactly is that for, any idea?
I think the chassis number is embossed there in some countries (in India the chassis # is inscribed onto metal underneath the co-driver's seat).

The owner's manual should offer additional information.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:46   #3332
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Today on Jai-Delhi highway I was doing 110-120 km/h with 4 people on board. While giving side to an overtaking very fast scorpio my car went off the road slightly and what seemed to be a very shallow half-mud-half-road pit, the car hit the under body (from the left side) so hard that everyone in the car stayed stunned for 2 minutes, before getting out and checking the car.

Damn this super soft suspension setup!....It goes 'vulnerable' from bad once there is load in the car :(
Old 11th May 2012, 09:21   #3333
BANNED

Get the coil spring adjusters (actually donuts) as per http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-21.html A cheap and by all accounts effective solution.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:42   #3334
Senior - BHPian

Now my car has done 69k. I need few suggestion:

1. I got my 60k service (plus synthetic oil, gear oil, etc) at 64k (4 months ago). Do I need to get 5k service done (I have been doing it) or 10k (one year ???) is sufficient?

2. Should I change synthetic oil chage every 10k (I have been doing it) or it has more life than 10k?
Old 15th May 2012, 16:20   #3335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Now my car has done 69k. I need few suggestion:

1. I got my 60k service (plus synthetic oil, gear oil, etc) at 64k (4 months ago). Do I need to get 5k service done (I have been doing it) or 10k (one year ???) is sufficient?

2. Should I change synthetic oil chage every 10k (I have been doing it) or it has more life than 10k?
Sir, 5 k service is just not needed for civic. Also, since you do not drive hard frequently, changing synthetic oil at 15k kms/1 year should be sufficient. My cousin's Civic gets serviced at same interval and Polo has the same recommended from VW.

In btw: when is the Polo coming home. I told about it to a few friends and every one was like ...
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 16:28   #3336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Sir, 5 k service is just not needed for civic. Also, since you do not drive hard frequently, changing synthetic oil at 15k kms/1 year should be sufficient. My cousin's Civic gets serviced at same interval and Polo has the same recommended from VW.

In btw: when is the Polo coming home. I told about it to a few friends and every one was like ...
Thanks Gaurav, I also thought the same but I guess, it was never mentioned clearly on this thread (or I missed it?) about 15k/1 year. Happy to be free from forced 5k/10k services of Honda.

OT: About Polo, 'on or before' date is 27th, hoping to get it early next week. I owe you a drink (soft drink, as per T-BHP rules) for that.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 21:37   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also thought the same but I guess, it was never mentioned clearly on this thread (or I missed it?) about 15k/1 year. Happy to be free from forced 5k/10k services of Honda.
True, Honda, more so the dealers, had forced this 5k service on civic owners, I know many, who are happy to get their cars off warranty. But then even under warranty, 10k kms or 6 months service was enough to keep the warranty in place.

Quote:
OT: About Polo, 'on or before' date is 27th, hoping to get it early next week. I owe you a drink (soft drink, as per T-BHP rules) for that.
, Thats soo nice of you sir. Will definitely plan to meet after you get the car. And yes, I did the least I could. It was you who found the car and closed the deal...

And yes, the new profile picture, Honda/VW is nice.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 15th May 2012 at 21:38.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 08:52   #3338
BANNED

mukesh and gaurav; I for one have been getting me Civic serviced every six months (have done 10,000 in two years so distance is not in the calculation). With synthetic a change every 15,000km / once a year is kosher. Do not go beyond fifteen months. All this, naturally, only after warranty is done with.

Incidentally, if you work out the economics then semi-synth twice a year is better VFM than synth once a year. The extra cost of the filter + another oil charge sure beats the extra cost of a synth!

Agree that Honda revs to 6700, but the reco stays.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th May 2012 at 08:56.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 09:06   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
mukesh and gaurav; I for one have been getting me Civic serviced every six months (have done 10,000 in two years so distance is not in the calculation). With synthetic a change every 15,000km / once a year is kosher. Do not go beyond fifteen months. All this, naturally, only after warranty is done with.
Thanks.

I have decided to:

1. Get service done at 10k intervals like 70k, 80k and leaving 5k services like 65k, 75k.

2. Synthetic oil Change at 15k intervals.
Quote:
Incidentally, if you work out the economics then semi-synth twice a year is better VFM than synth once a year. The extra cost of the filter + another oil charge sure beats the extra cost of a synth!

Agree that Honda revs to 6700, but the reco stays.
That's a good suggestion. How many kilometers semi-synth lasts?
Old 16th May 2012, 09:19   #3340
BANNED

Quote:
That's a good suggestion. How many kilometers semi-synth lasts?
I will say API-SM should give you 10,000/12 months. I use Castrol Magnatec in my Santro (earlier on the Accent and Esteem as well) and followed this regime. The cab operator who bought my Esteem sold it at 400,000 plus and did not need an engine job!
Old 16th May 2012, 20:02   #3341
BHPian

Presently in Goa after the longest drive of my life, 20 hours without major break, 1,250 kms, continuous from Tuticorin to Colva. Sole driver with my family. The Civic felt fresh after this marathon session!, finished my 1,05,000 kms service a few days back. Cannot type fast on my mobile so will post more details after I get back home.
Old 17th May 2012, 21:29   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Guys my Civic's insurance is to be renewed in July.Last year when i bought the car i ended up paying a hefty premium (16.1 k)for a IDV value of just 5 lacs.I was wondering of i could switch to a different insurer with a lower permium and keeping the IDV value of 50000 intact.

Is it possible to keep IDV the same (or higher) if i were to switch to a different insurer ?

thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 08:40   #3343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys my Civic's insurance is to be renewed in July.Last year when i bought the car i ended up paying a hefty premium (16.1 k)for a IDV value of just 5 lacs.I was wondering of i could switch to a different insurer with a lower permium and keeping the IDV value of 50000 intact.
The IDV will drop somewhat to about 4L. As for 16.1k I am perplexed since I am paying for 14.5k for an IDV of just under 10L.

You must have gone for Zero Depreciation which shall be adding 10k to the Premium. I have 50% NCB and a Rs.7500 exclusion. I am still with Royal Sundaram through Honda Care.
Old 18th May 2012, 10:27   #3344
Senior - BHPian

I have recently renewed insurance for my Civvy. 5 years old, IDV at 5 Lakhs, premium of 8.8K. The band was in the range of 11-16K from most companies. Trying L&T this time.

NCB is only 20%, since I took some claim for a bumper paint job two years ago.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 20:31   #3345
Senior - BHPian

Got a quote for 10.8 k from SBI and they agreed for a IDV value of 5 lacs as well.Will look out for 1 or 2 more quotes and then maybe settle down for SBI. I hope SBI i's good.

@sgiitk the basic permium of future generali (the one i have know) itself is 11K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks