Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 11:40   #2041
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

I have a Creta Diesel 1.6 and it has done just a little over 50k kms; I have been using mineral oil (Shell helix 15w 40) for fours years now but now I would like to go for a fully Synthetic oil, (Shell Helix 5w40 or 5w30).

My question is : Since I am shifting from Mineral to Synthetic oil for the first time, is it recommended to get engine flushed or is it not ? The SA recommended it. My cousin, who also drives an automatic diesel Creta said the flushing is not required, he drove his car for the first 10k with Mineral oil and then shifted to synthetic (Helix 5w40) and he said he didn't the flushing done. His car has done more than a Lakh kms.

Please Advice.

Last edited by chetan : 10th January 2020 at 11:43. Reason: Forgot to add a crucial statement
Old 10th January 2020, 11:52   #2042
Senior - BHPian

The last several posts in this thread have quite a few that mention Creta Shell Helix Ultra is a good oil but the wrong oil for your car. Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil Turbo Truck / Max Duty 5w40 are what you need if you really need synthetic diesel oils. Your cousin is right, you won't need to flush especially for a 50k run car that has had regular oil changes. He is wrong in filling Helix though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
I have a Creta Diesel 1.6 and it has done just a little over 50k kms; I have been using mineral oil (Shell helix 15w 40) for fours years now but now I would like to go for a fully Synthetic oil, (Shell Helix 5w40 or 5w30).

My question is : Since I am shifting from Mineral to Synthetic oil for the first time, is it recommended to get engine flushed or is it not ? The SA recommended it. My cousin, who also drives an automatic diesel Creta said the flushing is not required, he drove his car for the first 10k with Mineral oil and then shifted to synthetic (Helix 5w40) and he said he didn't the flushing done. His car has done more than a Lakh kms.

Please Advice.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:04   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The last several posts in this thread have quite a few that mention Creta Shell Helix Ultra is a good oil but the wrong oil for your car. Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 or Amsoil Turbo Truck / Max Duty 5w40 are what you need if you really need synthetic diesel oils. Your cousin is right, you won't need to flush especially for a 50k run car that has had regular oil changes. He is wrong in filling Helix though.
Thanks Hserus for the info. For the MAJORITY my car is driven in the city and I drive about 10k/ year with at-least one long drive averaging 300kms, I usually go for a top up when I go for long drives. Do you still recommend I go for synthetic or should I stick with Mineral. Off late I have noticed that the engine has become a bit rough.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:37   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Thanks Hserus for the info. For the MAJORITY my car is driven in the city and I drive about 10k/ year with at-least one long drive averaging 300kms, I usually go for a top up when I go for long drives. Do you still recommend I go for synthetic or should I stick with Mineral. Off late I have noticed that the engine has become a bit rough.
Your car really shouldn't drop so much oil that it needs a topup unless it is extremely high mileage and the oil seals have started to go.

(edit sorry you said Diesel Creta)

You might consider a slightly higher frequency than 10k km for almost exclusively city use so just change by 6k-7k km, and see if that helps, with shell mineral 15w40 - just use Rimula R4 and don't use the older ones (R2, R3X etc).

Synthetic mostly won't hurt your car and may make it run a bit smoother because of the additives. I could stretch the Amsoil to 15k or so km in my scorpio with almost all highway drives. However at 5k or so for the oil change, I am wondering if it is worth it, because I could just have done two oil changes at around 7-8k apiece using Shell Mineral and still saved a thousand or so. The car ran extremely smooth after pouring Amsoil though so maybe the 1k premium is worth it.

Last edited by hserus : 10th January 2020 at 12:40.
Old 14th January 2020, 17:39   #2045
BHPian

Hi Guys,
its time to get my skoda superb 2.5 tdi v6 serviced, can you help me what will be the best oil for the car ?
also something for ciaz 1.3 dds ? Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 17:52   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargashwin06 View Post
Hi Guys,
its time to get my skoda superb 2.5 tdi v6 serviced, can you help me what will be the best oil for the car ?
also something for ciaz 1.3 dds ? Thanks
Skoda look no further than the Amsoil 5w30 European Car Formula https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07G5DJ7SJ/

You should be ok with that for the Ciaz too unless you would prefer a 0w20 - what do you currently use for it?

Note for the Ciaz this might be better https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC/ Amsoil 5w30 Signature which is ACEA A5/B5 rather than ACEA C3
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:45   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda look no further than the Amsoil 5w30 European Car Formula https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07G5DJ7SJ/

You should be ok with that for the Ciaz too unless you would prefer a 0w20 - what do you currently use for it?

Note for the Ciaz this might be better https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC/ Amsoil 5w30 Signature which is ACEA A5/B5 rather than ACEA C3
Thank you for the quick reply. Even i was eyeing Amsoil for a while now but was not too sure about which one to go for.
For Ciaz i was using Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic however during the last service i was not in town and they ended up using mobil 1 semi synthetic oil, this is why i was to replace the oil again it just been 5000 kms from the last service.
gargashwin06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 13:13   #2048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
What would be the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for 2016 Innova Crysta (2.4 MT-Z)with 45k on the odo.
!
I would suggest, stick to Toyota Oils, they are one of the best for their engines.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 08:46   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Synthetic mostly won't hurt your car and may make it run a bit smoother because of the additives. I could stretch the Amsoil to 15k or so km in my scorpio with almost all highway drives. However at 5k or so for the oil change, I am wondering if it is worth it, because I could just have done two oil changes at around 7-8k apiece using Shell Mineral and still saved a thousand or so. The car ran extremely smooth after pouring Amsoil though so maybe the 1k premium is worth it.
Heard recently you got your beloved Scorpio back. Congrats on its recovery hserus.

Our XUV5OO is now closely nudging towards 20K in Odo and planning to go something beyond Mahindra Feo. Service Station guys are asking us to stick with it and swearing that 10K oil interval is more than enough due to recent advancement in Feo quality.

Whats your opinion ?
Old 16th January 2020, 08:56   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Feo is a good oil for the Scorpio / XUV and specifically designed for it, you won't go too much wrong with it. Certainly far cheaper than Amsoil. So if you want to use that and change every 10k (or less than 10k if extensive city driving takes place) feel free, it won't hurt your car.

About my old Scorpio - It is in a horrible condition and I certainly haven't got it back. The insurance money has been collected and ICICI Lombard is welcome to extract the car from the court processes and sell it for salvage as they please.

Full story and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/hserus/posts/10223388610889920

Do look at all the IPC sections slapped on whoever was using the car - NDPS act, IPC 307 attempted murder .. no way this is coming out of police / court clutches for a good two or three years and multiple run arounds of the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Heard recently you got your beloved Scorpio back. Congrats on its recovery hserus.

Our XUV5OO is now closely nudging towards 20K in Odo and planning to go something beyond Mahindra Feo. Service Station guys are asking us to stick with it and swearing that 10K oil interval is more than enough due to recent advancement in Feo quality.

Whats your opinion ?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 09:05   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Whats your opinion ?
Quote:
Feo is a good oil for the Scorpio / XUV and specifically designed for it, you won't go too much wrong with it..
Agree with hserus. Feo is a more than decent and cost effective oil for the Scorpio and XUV engines. I have used it for the past 3 annual oil changes (2017, 2018, 2019) for my 2010 Scorpio SLE, and frankly couldn't make out any perceptible difference from when I was using Mobil Delvac MX or GS Caltex Kixx Platinum Plus; but then, I am not an "enthusiast".

I plan to use Feo again for the Scorpio's upcoming 2020 annual service in late February.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th January 2020 at 09:07.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 09:22   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Feo is a good oil for the Scorpio / XUV and specifically designed for it, you won't go too much wrong with it. Certainly far cheaper than Amsoil. So if you want to use that and change every 10k (or less than 10k if extensive city driving takes place) feel free, it won't hurt your car.

About my old Scorpio - It is in a horrible condition and I certainly haven't got it back. The insurance money has been collected and ICICI Lombard is welcome to extract the car from the court processes and sell it for salvage as they please.

Full story and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/hserus/posts/10223388610889920

Do look at all the IPC sections slapped on whoever was using the car - NDPS act, IPC 307 attempted murder .. no way this is coming out of police / court clutches for a good two or three years and multiple run arounds of the court.

Sad to see a loved car in such a state. Pains me. You must have gone through a lot of mental pain in this process

Good that you were able to buy a new car from the insurance payout. Which one did you buy?
Old 16th January 2020, 10:31   #2053
Senior - BHPian

I cover 30k+ km a year thanks to frequent highway travel and yes Feo isn’t too far different from any of the usual mineral oils from reputed brands.

Mobil Delvac 1 (instead of MX) and Amsoil synthetics are however a major improvement on all these, just that you need to be comfortable or maybe comfortably numb to the obscenely high cost.

Could be worse, there’s a Voltronic brand German oil that has a cj4 spec and is over 950 rupees a quart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Agree with hserus. Feo is a more than decent and cost effective oil for the Scorpio and XUV engines. I have used it for the past 3 annual oil changes (2017, 2018, 2019)

I plan to use Feo again for the Scorpio's upcoming 2020 annual service in late February.

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Sad to see a loved car in such a state. Pains me. You must have gone through a lot of mental pain in this process

Good that you were able to buy a new car from the insurance payout. Which one did you buy?
Another Scorpio bought in November 2018 but in a much less eye catching colour. “Zoomcar red” that had run 20k km since late 2015 and is now just over 52k km.

Last edited by hserus : 16th January 2020 at 10:39.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:20   #2054
BHPian

Oil change is due for my xTrail T30 2.2 diesel. It has clocked ~1,38,000kms. The recommended specification is ACEA C3 / API CF or CF 4*1. The preferred grade is 5W30 though the user manual says 10w30/10w40/15w40 can be used. There aren't many options in 5w30 and a lot of 15w40 seems to be available. My usage is around 15000kms per year and I'll be changing oil every 7500 considering the age of the car. Which oil is recommended?

Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:37   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haneeshN View Post
Oil change is due for my xTrail T30 2.2 diesel. It has clocked ~1,38,000kms. The recommended specification is ACEA C3 / API CF or CF 4*1. The preferred grade is 5W30 though the user manual says 10w30/10w40/15w40 can be used. There aren't many options in 5w30 and a lot of 15w40 seems to be available. My usage is around 15000kms per year and I'll be changing oil every 7500 considering the age of the car. Which oil is recommended?

Thanks
Amazon has no shortage of good ACEA C3 5w30 oils - they're good brands but somewhat expensive.

https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Europea...dp/B07G5DJ7SJ/
https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-224...dp/B01BIQWYNK/
https://www.amazon.in/HYUNDAI-XTEER-...dp/B07ZJ4YDPN/

There is also a CK4 5w30.
https://www.amazon.in/Signature-Synt...dp/B07NPCJ587/

Take your pick. All these are quite good oils and you can certainly stretch to far longer than 7500 km, especially the Amsoil ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks