Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 11:37   #1876
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I am nearing my 10k service of my swift zdi. Can I use Castrol edge 5w40(fully synthetic) in my car. It cost about 3500Rs for 4 litres. Do I need an engine flush before I start using this oil . Should I wait till 15k kms for the switch to this engine oil.
Your car already runs on synthetic unless you have changed it earlier. Stick to the synthetics that the MASS fills during your 10k service. Generally its mobil and thats pretty good. No flushing required
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 18:40   #1877
BHPian

Tyre trouble

I have a 4 month old Swift ZXI running on stock MRF ZVTVs - 185 / 65 R 15.

The other day when I noticed a bulge in the left front tyre's sidewall. The bulge is not large (around the diameter of a Re 2 coin). Is tyre sidewall failure eligible for the warranty? Do note that the car is only around 4 months old. The only incident that could have triggered this is when I ran into a pothole on my way to Ooty. I wasn't at any great speed then, so I would be surprised if this was the cause of the sidewall bulge.

I was under the impression that the stock ZVTV's are hardy, but this experience suggests otherwise. Looks like others are facing the same problem -

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Yesterday Night I burst the inside sidewall of the left front tire on my Swift. This occurred while reversing and the car fell into a ditch. The tear has totally destroyed the tire. Till now I was of the opinion MRF ZVTV Tires were of hard compound. But looks like they also have a soft sidewalls.
Now,

1. Is it safe to continue using the tyre? The bulge is not large (same dia as a Re 2 coin). [For the time being, I have changed to the spare tyre]

2. If not, is there anything I can do to fix / repair the damage? Can I run the tyre with tubes safely?
With the sidewall damage, I'm not sure if the tyre would have any decent resale value.

On a separate note, I plan to upgrade from the stock ZVTVs to Yoko A-Drives [ 195/60 R 15 ]. Here is the quote I received from Millivisions in Bangalore -

Tyre cost - Rs 4800
Buyback - Rs 1800 (the car has run 4000 kms till now)
Net cost - Rs 3000

In addition, balancing would be necessary which would cost Rs 400. I am told that alignment is not necessary.

Please let me know your opinion on the prices quoted by Millivisions. If you recommend any other tyre dealer in Mysore / South Bangalore over Millivisions, please let me know.

Last edited by qaqa : 11th May 2013 at 19:03. Reason: formatting
Old 11th May 2013, 19:57   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I have a 4 month old Swift ZXI running on stock MRF ZVTVs - 185 / 65 R 15.

The other day when I noticed a bulge in the left front tyre's sidewall. The bulge is not large (around the diameter of a Re 2 coin). Is tyre sidewall failure eligible for the warranty? Do note that the car is only around 4 months old. The only incident that could have triggered this is when I ran into a pothole on my way to Ooty. I wasn't at any great speed then, so I would be surprised if this was the cause of the sidewall bulge.

I was under the impression that the stock ZVTV's are hardy, but this experience suggests otherwise. Looks like others are facing the same problem -

Now,

1. Is it safe to continue using the tyre? The bulge is not large (same dia as a Re 2 coin). [For the time being, I have changed to the spare tyre]

2. If not, is there anything I can do to fix / repair the damage? Can I run the tyre with tubes safely?
With the sidewall damage, I'm not sure if the tyre would have any decent resale value.

I had exactly same incident with ZVTV tyre on my Swift when it went over a brick sized stone at around 50 kmph. Got it replaced free of cost under warranty. You need to approach you Maruti dealer and he would help you to coordinate with MRF guys. It was a bit tough to get it replaced free of cost, but finally managed it.

1. It is not safe. To use the tyre. The bulge shall further increase with usage and time. Get it replaced ASAP.

2. You can not repair it. You can use tube and keep it as a spare tyre for emergency use.

For your tyre upgrade queries we already have a dedicated thread for Swift. Your queries have already been discussed there.

Last edited by beast_within : 11th May 2013 at 19:59.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 09:41   #1879
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to put Osram NB+ H8 bulb in the fog lights. It is currently not available in Cochin at the moment and is expected next week. Hope the bulbs doesn't heat up and crack the cover.

Anyone got experience with these bulbs?

Also, planning on a set of wiper blades from Bosch. They look like Areo Twin but are not. The Aero Twin comes to around 1850 and this is approx. 1 grand.

Last edited by deetjohn : 17th May 2013 at 09:44. Reason: Adding text.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:30   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am planning to put Osram NB+ H8 bulb in the fog lights. It is currently not available in Cochin at the moment and is expected next week. Hope the bulbs doesn't heat up and crack the cover.

Anyone got experience with these bulbs?

Also, planning on a set of wiper blades from Bosch. They look like Areo Twin but are not. The Aero Twin comes to around 1850 and this is approx. 1 grand.
For the nightbreakers. check what the wattage is wrt to the stock. If its more than 35W which I think is the wattage for the fogs if i remember correctly, you might need to replace the stock holder with ceramic. I remember discussing this when I wanted to go for a change but finally didnt go ahea.d.

Why dont you go for the normal Bosch wipers. It cost me about 450 for a pair. I have been using it for over a year and it works perfectly fine. The rubber is nice and soft and clears water effectively. I know Cochin has torrential rains but having used them in extremely heavy Mumbai downpours, I am satisfied. The extra moolah is really not worth it for the look alike aero twins IMHO.

And this is from my experience, wait till mid June to buy fresh wipers. Some stores might still sell you last years wipers. If not, make sure that they open the package infront of you after you check the manufacturing date is this years on the pack.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:08   #1881
BHPian

Hi guys,

Yesterday yet a petrol bunk, my car brushed a platform causing a dent of almost an inch in the skirting. Below is a pic of it.

Initially I assumed it to be one small part but now I realized that it is a huge panel and looks to be part of car underbody also. Any idea what needs to be done. Car is going for the 20k service, so I will see if insurance can be claimed. Looks really out of shape
Attached Images

Last edited by indian21r : 3rd June 2013 at 08:09.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:28   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I assumed it to be one small part but now I realized that it is a huge panel and looks to be part of car underbody also. Any idea what needs to be done. Car is going for the 20k service, so I will see if insurance can be claimed. Looks really out of shape
That dent can be pulled out no worries. Its not a huge repair and would probably cost you around 3 to 3.5k so i don't think its a good idea to claim the inusrance. My old car had a similar dent and it was fixed flawlessly.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:04   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Yesterday yet a petrol bunk, my car brushed a platform causing a dent of almost an inch in the skirting. Below is a pic of it.

As Sankar said, it can be fixed easily without insurance claim. Also, try asking the rates at some reliable local garage before you give it to MASS for the service. MASS will be very expensive compared to the locals... and the locals do as good a job. Painting will be the main cost.

As for my car, the squeaking in the dash is back and its more like a shrill screech now. Left the car with MASS for a couple of days on 2 occassions but they have not been able to find the source of the noise. I gave Automotive an earful about their total lack of interest and lacadaisical attitude towards the issue. Have threatened to escalate it to Maruti. They want the car back for one more look by some senior manager of theirs. Planning to take the car this weekend and hope for the best. This is also going to be my last Maruti Suzuki ever.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:09   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That dent can be pulled out no worries. Its not a huge repair and would probably cost you around 3 to 3.5k so i don't think its a good idea to claim the inusrance. My old car had a similar dent and it was fixed flawlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
As Sankar said, it can be fixed easily without insurance claim. Also, try asking the rates at some reliable local garage before you give it to MASS for the service. MASS will be very expensive compared to the locals... and the locals do as good a job. Painting will be the main cost.
Thanks for the Replies. In the picture dent depth is not clear. It is close to a inch. I just got it checked with the Service Center. They are saying it is better to replace it than get the work done. Though I am not sure what type of welding they are doing to get a smooth joint. Have to take a call on this.

Last edited by indian21r : 3rd June 2013 at 10:12.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:02   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Replies. In the picture dent depth is not clear. It is close to a inch. I just got it checked with the Service Center. They are saying it is better to replace it than get the work done. Though I am not sure what type of welding they are doing to get a smooth joint. Have to take a call on this.
I want to add one more thing, The running board on the new swift has a different texture to it. This is to avoid rusting & prevent small stones thrown behind by the tyres & is done at the factory. I am not sure that the same texture will be maintained on painted running board, please confirm the same from MASS or other reliable denter beforehand.
On my last visit to MASS for servicing my swift, I was witness to the same type of work on a new dzire where the running board was dented & painted & they had coated the part with some kind of material(rubberised) to prevent rusting. That car had two different finish on the right & left side running boards. The owner was shouting at the SA, who claimed that the original finish cannot be done at workshop level & done only at the factory on the assembly line.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:44   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my old car (AStar) the dent was made by a piece of granite, that was a deep dent too. Don't go for panel replacement now, before that consult with a good body workshop, imho it can be pulled from the outside. Consult with them before deciding to give at ASC for panel replacement.
Old 4th June 2013, 14:27   #1887
BHPian

Hey guys!

I'm wondering whether anyone out there has something like a torque curve for the DDIS powerplant in Ritz/Swift. Just trying to understand my car here. I could gather that it hits peak torque at around 1900 RPM, but I'd also like to know at what RPM and in what fashion that torque tails off. I'm trying to figure out what's the right up-shift point for best acceleration.

Thanks!
Old 4th June 2013, 14:54   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
I want to add one more thing, The running board on the new swift has a different texture to it. This is to avoid rusting & prevent small stones thrown behind by the tyres & is done at the factory. I am not sure that the same texture will be maintained on painted running board, please confirm the same from MASS or other reliable denter beforehand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
In my old car (AStar) the dent was made by a piece of granite, that was a deep dent too. Don't go for panel replacement now, before that consult with a good body workshop, imho it can be pulled from the outside. Consult with them before deciding to give at ASC for panel replacement.
As I needed the car immediately I asked them to do only the regular service. I will take a call on the dent a little later.

For the 20k service I was given a quote of around 5k. After running 8000 odd km, the car felt a little sluggish in the cities but it was manageable. On the Highways it was a breeze to drive. Hence I asked them to go for Mineral oil only.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:52   #1889
BHPian

The monsoon came with all its might in mumbai and made me realise that something was not right with my swift's wiper blades.

Its clears the water all fine, but there is a strage "woosh woosh" noise every time it glides over the windscreen. I clearly remember this was not the case last year.

Seems like th blades have gone, but is it normal for wiper blades to live past their optimal life in just one monsoon? the car is just about a year and 2 months old.

if replacement is required, should i go with bosch or with maruti OEM. any idea of the costs? Bosch i believe is about 1000 for a pair.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:23   #1890
ARG
BHPian

Is your car "exposed to the elements" when parked, generally? The wiper blades on a Hyundai I once owned, that was usually parked outside, did run-out of useful service pretty fast. I remember the SE telling me about blade material getting brittle, when left in the open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Seems like th blades have gone, but is it normal for wiper blades to live past their optimal life in just one monsoon? the car is just about a year and 2 months old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks