Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 07:22   #1861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Which car were you using before switching to the Swift Petrol ? Was it a diesel ?
Also try out a test drive car to see whether it's specific to your car or not.
My primary car for highway runs was my dad's ANHC till I switched to the swift. I'm not used to driving diesels.

My friend also had the same feedback when he drove the car for a couple of hours.

I should get the engine checked up.
Old 1st April 2013, 19:56   #1862
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Yesterday Night I burst the inside sidewall of the left front tire on my Swift. This occurred while reversing and the car fell into a ditch. The tear has totally destroyed the tire. Till now I was of the opinion MRF ZVTV Tires were of hard compound. But looks like they also have a soft sidewalls.
Old 14th April 2013, 00:50   #1863
BHPian

12.3k for the 4th Service...20000km

Will update the break-up tomorrow. Still recuperating from the heart attack
Old 14th April 2013, 02:06   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post

12.3k for the 20k service is totally devastating. Startled by the ever rising sales of the diesel Swift, Maruti is turning the table. I have the Ritz diesel and will be checking in for the fourth service within a month. You have scared me now.
Old 14th April 2013, 07:41   #1865
BHPian

Quote:

I got it for 9.8k, just for the regular 4th paid service. I had an estimate of 7k in mind. However I had opted for full synthetic oil. Get well soon from the heart attack.
With the ever increasing diesel prices and maintenance cost, I'm wondering if break-even would happen in next 6 years.

Last edited by beast_within : 14th April 2013 at 07:45.
Old 14th April 2013, 07:51   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG! That's steep. I paid approx. 6.5K for the 20K service. Opted for Mineral oil. Eagerly waiting for the details.
Old 15th April 2013, 13:29   #1867
Senior - BHPian

I get my cars serviced from 2 MASS's in the city depending on where I am. Since I have quite a few cars getting serviced there through my reference (about 8 of them, including 3 of mine), I am quite a regular visitor to both of them and had built rapport with the senior guys there. Since my running is quite high, I asked if a Swift diesel would be a good buy, considering the features offered and the mileage claimed. To my surprise the immediate answer to that was a vehement 'NO'. The new diesel engines are supposed to an absolute rubbish and cant take pressure at all apart from the maintenance cost being very high. One of them even took me to the engine room and showed at least 3-4 new DDIS engines which had seized, pistons bent, etc. 2 of them seized while getting a pollution check done.

I was told that daily there are quite a few diesel cars coming in with some issues with the engine or the other. I guess they are all getting fixed under warranty, however the cars are required to be kept in the workshop for at least a week. Supposedly Maruti is also very worried about this since the cost for warranty replacements for their new diesel cars are very high. I cannot confirm the truth behind this, but it has definitely stopped me from buying a diesel Maruti at least for the time being.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 13:42   #1868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Since my running is quite high, I asked if a Swift diesel would be a good buy, considering the features offered and the mileage claimed. To my surprise the immediate answer to that was a vehement 'NO'. The new diesel engines are supposed to an absolute rubbish and cant take pressure at all apart from the maintenance cost being very high. One of them even took me to the engine room and showed at least 3-4 new DDIS engines which had seized, pistons bent, etc. 2 of them seized while getting a pollution check done.

I was told that daily there are quite a few diesel cars coming in with some issues with the engine or the other. I guess they are all getting fixed under warranty, however the cars are required to be kept in the workshop for at least a week. Supposedly Maruti is also very worried about this since the cost for warranty replacements for their new diesel cars are very high. I cannot confirm the truth behind this, but it has definitely stopped me from buying a diesel Maruti at least for the time being.
With regards to maintenance cost, yes, the Swift Diesel is definitely costlier to maintain.

But, with regards to engine reliability, I'm not too sure. Inspite of having many Swift owners on our community, I've never seen anyone report of any such issues. 3 or 4 out of 1000s of Swifts sold in your area is not a good number to arrive at a conclusion.

Last edited by amalji : 15th April 2013 at 13:51.
Old 15th April 2013, 16:52   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The new diesel engines are supposed to an absolute rubbish and cant take pressure at all apart from the maintenance cost being very high. One of them even took me to the engine room and showed at least 3-4 new DDIS engines which had seized, pistons bent, etc. 2 of them seized while getting a pollution check done.

Is this only about the new Maruti Swift? But then the engine in the old and new swift is supposed to be the same, only with a slight difference in the tuning, is it not? Are you saying that the quality of the engine components has deteriorated? I have the old Swift diesel and I have not had any problems till now, touch wood.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:02   #1870
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
I got it for 9.8k, just for the regular 4th paid service.
Wondering how the servicing cost differs by over 20%. Assuming both have opted for fully synthetic oil.

In any case, 3.5K would be cost of the oil. 6-7K for service and other parts replacement is criminal. Can you both pls post detail breakup of the costs.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:44   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Is this only about the new Maruti Swift? But then the engine in the old and new swift is supposed to be the same, only with a slight difference in the tuning, is it not? Are you saying that the quality of the engine components has deteriorated? I have the old Swift diesel and I have not had any problems till now, touch wood.
Yes, its the new diesel engines only. The same guy had recommended me the older diesel swift earlier. The cars I was shown had clocked less than 10k kms. He even showed me the worn out and bent pistons. As Amalgi mentioned 3-4 cars isn't something to arrive at a conclusion, however I can't help but being skeptical specially when it came from more than one person from the company itself dealing with the issue everyday.
Old 16th April 2013, 09:08   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I have had my swift vvt petrol for about a couple of months now. I'm this time, I made a few highway trips - 4 Mysore to Bangalore, and 1 Mysore to bandipur.

One thing which struck me on all these highway drives was the lack of power in the petrol unit. At low revs (less than 2k) the engine is really dull. But even post that, it doesn't really improve too much. Overtaking, even with a downshift is painful. I'm not seeing any real power even around the 3k RPM mark. On a road with ups and downs (not ghats, just rolling terrain), the car really struggled.

I'm now very concerned. Is this what other swift owners have been facing? How's your highway experience with the petrol?
I have had the VVT petrol swift for around a year and a half and have clocked around 9000 kms on it. Low end torque is pretty poor, i.e. below 1200 RPM. However, from 1200 RPM onwards, and especially post 2000 RPM, the car flies, and pulls cleanly in one strong broad band of power right upto 6000 odd RPM. If we are talking about 3000 RPM and above, there is a real strong wave of power at those RPMs, and the car should be pulling like a beast at those engine speeds

Rolling terrain, all you need is a downshift to third or second, and there should be enough and more power to knock your socks off upwards of 2000 RPM. Do consider getting a checkup done because the 1.2 K Series engine is a gem, and certainly does not have lack of power.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th April 2013 at 09:09.
Old 24th April 2013, 01:07   #1873
BHPian

Of late there is a strange rattling noise from the left side of the vehicle. Seems like coming from the seat or the rear door. Can't put my finger to it. Earlier I felt it was the parcel shelf, but that isn't the case as the noise is there even when I removed it.

Will try and get it checked at the dealership Tomm. hope they can fix it!
Old 25th April 2013, 19:17   #1874
BHPian

Bought a new Swift Zdi torque blue. Got the delivery on march 17th. Till now covered about 6200 kms (in about 38 days). Car is running fine.But there is a problem with the back light of the console. There is an extra reddish light on the silver edge of the meters. A person who is new to the swift will think that it is a normal lighting. I have discussed the matter with BRD motors,Thrissur(my dealer) and they have promised to replace the set free of cost. They have the meter console set in stock but haven't got the time to do the replacement.When I make the change my total mileage will again become zero.The details of this replacement will be there in Maruti's service history which can be accessed from any maruti dealer workshop.The average fuel efficiency varies with driving style. On highways with full AC and a heavy right foot I am getting about 17kmpl(according to the MID). If I am riding at speeds of 50-70 in fourth gear the MID shows an average mileage of 21-22.5 kmpl with full AC. I am working in wayanad where I cant find much straight roads. Shifting to fifth is a waste as I will have to downshift to 4th in next curve.Sorry for the fake team bhp stickers.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-24.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-26.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-27.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-28.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-aa.jpg  

Last edited by fireblade007 : 25th April 2013 at 19:20.
fireblade007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 18:20   #1875
BHPian

I am nearing my 10k service of my swift zdi. Can I use Castrol edge 5w40(fully synthetic) in my car. It cost about 3500Rs for 4 litres. Do I need an engine flush before I start using this oil . Should I wait till 15k kms for the switch to this engine oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks